Hello there,

I'm endlessly in search of the right (non-android) phone. I use email a lot on my iPhone, but I'm frustrated at how there isn't support for imap push (either imap idle or imap advanced) on iOS, WP8 and so on.

Does bb10 support push on imap? Ideally, without it going through blackberry's servers at all? And do any of you have first hand experience with your own email accounts? If it exists, does it work well?

While I'm here... Do I need a blackberry account to use a z10 (the phone I am considering). I don't have any need for apps, etc. I only want it for email, SMS, phone calls and taking photos.

Please don't respond by asking why I would want to do that, or that I should swap to exchange or another email provider etc etc I am very happy with my current email provider, just not happy with phones that don't support imap push, and don't particularly want lots of various accounts with corporations profiling everything I do to sell advertising etc, just so I can get email on the move!
    04-29-14 12:26 PM
    First off, I know you're not new to Mobile Nations, but welcome to CrackBerry!

IMAP push is supported on BB10. I typically get my Gmail account emails much faster on my BB10 device (Z30 currently, Z10 previously) than on my PC.

With BB10, no BlackBerry "account" is needed for email. It doesn't require a specific BlackBerry data plan (aka BIS) as legacy BBOS did, nor does email route through the BlackBerry servers as BBOS did.

You do need to set up a BBID to use BlackBerry World, BBM, and many other features. I believe this is akin to Apple ID. AFAIK the info isn't used for any purpose other than identifying yourself and syncing your data.

If you use more than one email account, you'll really love the experience of the BB10 Hub. The easily toggled shared or account specific views are extremely useful and simple to use.

Good luck with your decision!
    I have an exchange acct, att (which uses yahoo servers), gmail, outlook and 2 school accts (they use gmail) all supports push options in settings. I use imap settings on all of them instead of pop.

Oh forgot to mention the Z10 doesn't use BIS so you're good with just a data plan.
    04-29-14 12:33 PM
    First off, I know you're not new to Mobile Nations, but welcome to CrackBerry!

IMAP push is supported on BB10. I typically get my Gmail account emails much faster on my BB10 device (Z30 currently, Z10 previously) than on my PC.

With BB10, no BlackBerry "account" is needed for email. It doesn't require a specific BlackBerry data plan (aka BIS) as legacy BBOS did, nor does email route through the BlackBerry servers as BBOS did.

You do need to set up a BBID to use BlackBerry World, BBM, and many other features. I believe this is akin to Apple ID. AFAIK the info isn't used for any purpose other than identifying yourself and syncing your data.

If you use more than one email account, you'll really love the experience of the BB10 Hub. The easily toggled shared or account specific views are extremely useful and simple to use.

Good luck with your decision!
    jpvj likes this.
    04-29-14 12:41 PM
    Wow, two good and fast responses. Thank you both! A fine welcome indeed

Does anyone have experience with non-gmail / yahoo / hotmail / outlook accounts? I ask because some phone OSes specifically support push on some of these but don't on other, "bog standard" email providers. Just covering all eventualities. I know I'm weird not using gmail

On the iPhone I can chose not to use an Apple ID, but obviously suffer the terrible terrible consequences (no extra apps, syncing with iCloud, etc etc). Can I do that on the z10 and not set up a BBID or is it absolutely required?
    Last edited by Inky; 04-29-14 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Clarification on bbid
    04-29-14 01:06 PM
    If you wish to purchase apps via bb appworld you will need to set up a BBID because it will associate your apps to your account so if/when you swap phones the apps will follow you so you do not have to repay for them if they are offered on the other phone you so choose to use.

As for "off" email accounts I would just see if they have imap servers and if they do then you should be able to use push. If not, add them and see if the option is available would my only accord for those.

ps: I had a black cat named Inky
    04-29-14 01:12 PM
    I didn't know iOS and WP do not support either. Are you sure?
    04-29-14 01:15 PM
    Yup. My provider does push via imap idle and imap advanced, but iOS and wp don't support push on it. Of course if you're using an icloud account or gmail on iOS it pushes, and outlook/hotmail/gmail on wp8 will push email too. Just not other less fashionable providers! I guess both want you to use their company's email (for data mining and customer lock in) and neither can bare to turn away gmail-ers!
    04-29-14 01:27 PM
    I use 2 IMAP email accounts from URLS I own (Network Solutions). The each work well on Q10. Subfolders mirror those set up on Outlook and sync well (ie. Delete message from either deletes both)

Via BlackBerry Q10-SQN100-5 on AT&T
    Dileu and Elite1 like this.
    04-29-14 01:34 PM
    Hi Inky,

I'd suggest that you take a look at these two articles -- specific to using Gmail on a BB 10 device.
    How to Setup Gmail on your BlackBerry 10 Device
    How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP

Also, For an IMAP account (such as Gmail), you have to select the sync period option when setting up the account. Use the standard setup, until you get to the screen that gives you the option to toggle on/off contact/calendar sync. Tap "Advanced" at the bottom. Scroll to the very bottom, and set the "Initial Retrieval amount" to "Forever" (or your preferred sync period). You can also set your sync interval here as well.
    Note that if you'll be syncing a lot of messages, you should be on WiFi, unless you have a very generous data plan.
    04-29-14 01:37 PM
    Aha, perfect. Thank you very much GeoATL, that's exactly what I needed!
    04-29-14 01:53 PM
    I believe(can't really remember as it has been nearly a year now), but setting up a BBID is not optional. It's one of the initial setup steps, and cannot be skipped.
    04-29-14 05:48 PM
    My personal email account uses IMAP IDLE and the provider supports push email. Messages arrive within minutes usually only seconds after hitting my mailbox on the server.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    Elite1 likes this.
    04-29-14 07:55 PM
    Which way is more battery friendly, push or set up interval, for example, sync every 4 fours?

The reason I am asking above is because I have two company IMAP accounts on my BB Classic. Basically those two accounts are FYI. It's not necessary for me to get push email during peak hours, i.e. 9 - 5 on weekdays because I have access at my desktop. I'd rather receive emails after working hours at least intervals, i.e. every 4 fours working for me.

Does push mail consumer more battery than checking emails every 4 hours?

Thanks.
    08-08-15 02:54 AM