Hello

I'm a new owner of BB Q10.

The first main problem I recognized, is that BB HUB download whole emails when I have setup this to IMAP, rather than download headers only. It makes problems with roaming and gprs data costs .

Before Q10 I was using old Nokia E90 - Nokia downloaded only headers of messages and entrie messages were downloaded only if I selected to open them. Is it possible with BB Q10 to download whole emails only if I open them?
    11-07-13 07:53 AM
    Hi and welcome!
    I don't know if that is a possibility. Have you checked the setup of your Imap account to see if there is a way to send only headers to your phone?
    11-07-13 08:00 AM
    I searched everywhere (I think so...) and did not find any setting that would allow to download only headers , not entrie messages.

It is huge problem. I recive ~50 emails daily with size around 1 MB each, so if BB download all of them, it will eat all GPRS transfer I have with my provider... I don't know why it downloads all messages.

Anyone have a solution for this?
    11-07-13 08:39 AM
    Don't set up your email using IMAP. Set it up using POP3.

Posted via CB10 1.4.2 on Z10 10.2.0.424 on the Rogers Network
    11-07-13 08:42 AM
    I've setup POP3 account - during connections it downloads whole message, rather than headers only.

Am I the only person who don't want to download all large emails, only the selected one?
    11-07-13 12:19 PM
    Have you asked BlackBerry Help if that is even possible on OS10?

I for one wouldn't set any email client to only get just headers. That was only really used in the days of Modem dial up (Low bandwidth) .

I do know that using POP3 advanced setup you can turn off downloading emails while roaming. For me that is a more useful setting.

11-07-13 01:25 PM
    BB help at Twitter told that this is impossible in BB10 to download only headers, and download entrie messages after selecting them to open! So what for is IMAP? IMAP is designed to download headers only, and sync with mailbox with maximum speed and lowest bandwidth.

Still searching for soluton, BB is great but is useless when someone travels a lot!!!!
    11-08-13 05:39 PM
    Well you better return your Q10 then. I'm not sure any modern smart phone does just the header download, but correct me if I've missed one or two.

As I said, you could do an advanced POP3 setup and turn on the option to not download while roaming, if you are concerned about data charges.

11-08-13 10:44 PM
    I don't see an option to not download email while roaming for POP3 advanced setup - I see such option with Hotmail account setup but not in standard POP3.

Maybe this is fixed in any leaked system version for BB10 phones?
    11-09-13 02:37 PM
    Yes Hotmail. Isn't that what you wanted?...or maybe you didn't tell us which email provider you use..

there are differences between servers other than POP3 and IMAP4. Obviously.

11-09-13 03:00 PM
    One of the biggest drawbacks of BlackBerry 10 has been data costs. People need to realize that the days of BIS and compressed data are over. Doing the same things as we used to do on legacy devices can use twice the data.

As for downloading headers vs. Body of emails, I'd love to know if anyone fixes that. One thing on imap is that you do choose whether to download attachments.

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my GoogleBerry Cranial Implant
    John Pawling likes this.
    11-09-13 04:40 PM
    IMAP protocol is designed for lower data consumtion, it is know for many years, and nothing changed from begining. BB10 developers forget about IMAP functionality and developed software which is buggy. I the worst thing is that people complains that they use much bandwidth but they do not search for any solution and do not search for cause of this problem.

I think this bug is something that need to be fixed ASAP, because it makes us to spend much more money for data transfer that we need, and I'm sure that we can send complaints to BB development team with request to refund money for this.
    11-10-13 03:28 AM
    Have you reported this to BlackBerry developers?

It seems on any other device developers can implement email any way they want. I'm glad I have options for email on my Z10 - choosing either IMAP or POP. On my IOS devices it seems I can't even do that.

Either buy more data, turn off data services while roaming, use WiFi, or return your Q10 if there are other phones that implement header downloads only.

11-10-13 06:57 AM
    I hated this on my Nokia - you get an email, open it and wait 2 minutes for the email to open.

IMHO, BlackBerry doesn't have this option because it's building a OS for the future - it would slow down the experience.
    Roaming charges are going down little by little - look at T-Mobile US - free data everywhere in the world.
    Europeans are also talking actively about removing roaming charges and it will happen soon.

Symbian, Maemoo, WebOS, MeeGo, Android, iOS, and finally peace with BB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    11-10-13 07:28 AM
    If you recive few email it is ok. But I don't want to pay for something which could be done properly. K9 email client have possibility to define how much email it will download automatically (for example 32kb) and then you can choose - download or not.

How can I report this bug to BB dev team?
    11-10-13 10:15 AM