Hey All,

Hope everyone is safe and its really sad time now that complete world os down due to deadly virus CORONA.

In my country, the Government announced that no one should come outside between 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM.

So I felt boring and I wanted to post something and get to know from other BB fanboys and girls. We all knew the features, built quality and the brilliance concept of designs of BB curve to Key2 smartphones.

There are still PKB lovers who love to send emails, texts, post feeds on social media using these phones a few years ago.

What if BB decides to come back with its own OS and the BB devices.

Due to the lack of applications available in the BB world, people switched to android and iOS phones.

Slowly companies started discontinuing the services/applications to BBOS and its devices except for android Blackberry phones

If Blackberry comes back again what are the corrective measure it should take to capture the market again?

Kindly share your opinion mates, I knew the possibilities are very less but still love to hear from other fellow blackberrians like me
    03-22-20 02:16 AM
    Well it's been over seven years now since BB10 launched and it wasn't much of a success. It's still a usable platform but there hasn't been any growth in years.

The mobile world surely needs a third OS option but BB doesn't have the resources anymore to battle with the Android and Apple giants. They gave a valiant effort but it wasn't enough.

It's not likely but I'd still love to see Blackberry rise from the ashes and reclaim glory.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-22-20 02:22 AM

If Blackberry comes back again what are the corrective measure it should take to capture the market again?
    Nothing! And they can't and won't come back again to mobile industry.
    glwerry likes this.
    03-22-20 02:47 AM
    Well it's been over seven years now since BB10 launched and it wasn't much of a success. It's still a usable platform but there hasn't been any growth in years.

The mobile world surely needs a third OS option but BB doesn't have the resources anymore to battle with the Android and Apple giants. They gave a valiant effort but it wasn't enough.

It's not likely but I'd still love to see Blackberry rise from the ashes and reclaim glory.
    I too wish the same. Surely if John Chen decides it may possible to come back.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-20 02:57 AM
    I too wish the same. Surely if John Chen decides it may possible to come back.

Posted via CB10
    not a chance
    OrlandoTruth likes this.
    03-22-20 03:41 AM
    Nothing! And they can't and won't come back again to mobile industry.
    Best we can hope is for them to license their keyboard for cheap to any takers
    03-22-20 08:17 AM
    It's fine to dream, but you have to wake up and face the harsh reality that it's over.

Enjoy your BlackBerry device for as long as you can.
    03-22-20 09:18 AM

Why do we “need” a third OS in mobile if we already have two? Personally, I’ve always felt needs are met by the system when demand exists, the system will provide. The problem is that barriers to entry and maintenance efficiencies are why there’s only two mobile OS and two full traditional OS available commercially. Apple, Google and Microsoft have typically met those needs. Linux exists for anyone to build a third OS but is their really a need?

Perhaps the better word is that some people “want” a third OS in either category. Unfortunately, that crowd is too small unless forced to use. Perhaps your dreams will be answered by Harmony OS backed fully by the Chinese government. If Android/iOS would be outlawed in China, you have the scale for a third OS but even China doesn’t really want that. Just let that sink in for a minute..
    La Emperor likes this.
    03-22-20 09:33 AM
    If Chen and Prem Watsa and the rest of the board really wanted to make BB10 phones again, they would need to hire 5,000-6,000 additional employees, plus buildings and infrastructure to hold them and make them productive, and it would take 2-3 years to have a product ready given that old BB10 won't run on any hardware made today.

Then, they would need the money to buy all the components and do the manufacturing. They'd need to make new distribution deals and hire and train all new support staff. They would need to open repair facilities in a number of countries around the world and stock and staff them.

The costs for this is roughly $3-4 billion... except that BB already spent most of their savings on Cylance, and only have a few hundred million left - and the company is barely making a net profit now.

So, where would these billions of dollars come from, and how many phones will they sell to spread that cost?

Just for some math sake, $1b spread across 100,000 phones would mean each phone would need to net profit $10,000 just to cover development costs. If by some miracle they sold 1M phones, that would drop to $1000 per phone. Note that BB hasn't sold 1M phones a year for the last 4 years, and that sales have fallen by 50% per year since 2011.

In other words, it's financially impossible. Even with the most optimistic sales projections, revenues would fall short by several orders of magnitude and BB would be bankrupt.

There's a very real reason that BB left the smartphone business...
    ppeters914 and La Emperor like this.
    03-22-20 10:50 AM
    If the argument is that people need more choices, there are already alternative phone OSes out there. Support one of them!

If the real driver is that people want an OS with the BlackBerry logo on it, then that probably won’t happen.
    Troy Tiscareno and ppeters914 like this.
    03-22-20 11:24 AM
    If Chen and Prem Watsa and the rest of the board really wanted to make BB10 phones again, they would need to hire 5,000-6,000 additional employees, plus buildings and infrastructure to hold them and make them productive, and it would take 2-3 years to have a product ready given that old BB10 won't run on any hardware made today.

Then, they would need the money to buy all the components and do the manufacturing. They'd need to make new distribution deals and hire and train all new support staff. They would need to open repair facilities in a number of countries around the world and stock and staff them.

The costs for this is roughly $3-4 billion... except that BB already spent most of their savings on Cylance, and only have a few hundred million left - and the company is barely making a net profit now.

So, where would these billions of dollars come from, and how many phones will they sell to spread that cost?

Just for some math sake, $1b spread across 100,000 phones would mean each phone would need to net profit $10,000 just to cover development costs. If by some miracle they sold 1M phones, that would drop to $1000 per phone. Note that BB hasn't sold 1M phones a year for the last 4 years, and that sales have fallen by 50% per year since 2011.

In other words, it's financially impossible. Even with the most optimistic sales projections, revenues would fall short by several orders of magnitude and BB would be bankrupt.

There's a very real reason that BB left the smartphone business...
    Licensing the keyboard to someone or even re-releasing the Priv with updated internals (sorry conite I still believe it's cheap & possible) are more likely scenarios
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    03-22-20 12:43 PM
    Licensing the keyboard to someone or even re-releasing the Priv with updated internals (sorry conite I still believe it's cheap & possible) are more likely scenarios
    Possible however not cheap or inexpensive. If you walk yourself through all the steps that have to be redone from the original PRIV, it becomes obvious.
    03-22-20 02:19 PM
    Your believing it doesn't make it true. Because it's not.
    03-22-20 02:21 PM
    Your believing it doesn't make it true. Because it's not.
    That's just our word against each others.

It's not about re-using a stupid $30 shell, it's about not needing to re-design the sliding mechanism.

Anyways, no need to have this discussion again. I wasn't behind the design of the Priv, and neither were you...right?
    03-22-20 02:26 PM
    That's just our word against each others.

It's not about re-using a stupid $30 shell, it's about not needing to re-design the sliding mechanism.

Anyways, no need to have this discussion again. I wasn't behind the design of the Priv, and neither were you...right?
    The sliding mechanism isn't contingent on using the identical shell.
    03-22-20 02:30 PM
    The sliding mechanism isn't contingent on using the identical shell.
    Ok, are you saying that it would consist of designing a new back cover to fit the new internals, while keeping everything else the same?
    03-22-20 02:40 PM
    Ok, are you saying that it would consist of designing a new back cover to fit the new internals, while keeping everything else the same?
    The slide just puts the screen on a rail. There is nothing special about the original shell.
    03-22-20 03:02 PM
    The slide just puts the screen on a rail. There is nothing special about the original shell.
    Right, so the slide and that ultra slim profile keyboard are what would save money if retained
    03-22-20 03:06 PM
    Right, so the slide and that ultra slim profile keyboard are what would save money if retained
    So, not much then. The other 95% of the device would need major development.
    03-22-20 03:11 PM
    So, not much then. The other 95% of the device would need major development.
    Unless you’ve willing to just purchase old PRIV internals or for that matter old PRIVs and rebadge them as PRIV2 then what a savings that would be.

Since obviously, the idea behind a PRIV2 would be improved better internals, then very little money is saved. I feel like we’ve had this conversation before. Either Deja Vu or Groundhog Day, I feel like I’ve been here...
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-22-20 03:43 PM
    Unless you’ve willing to just purchase old PRIV internals or for that matter old PRIVs and rebadge them as PRIV2 then what a savings that would be.
    That's exactly what I was suggesting. But I'm not a trusted member so it has to be delusional fanboy nonsense.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-22-20 03:55 PM
    That's exactly what I was suggesting. But I'm not a trusted member so it has to be delusional fanboy nonsense.
    So you’re suggesting that somebody load Android 9 or 10 on the PRIVs internals?!? The hardware wouldn’t just overheat like the original PRIV or explode like the hardware banned from the airlines few years ago. The PRIV2 would literally self-combust in users pockets......
    ppeters914 and La Emperor like this.
    03-22-20 04:10 PM
    So you’re suggesting that somebody load Android 9 or 10 on the PRIVs internals?!? The hardware wouldn’t just overheat like the original PRIV or explode like the hardware banned from the airlines few years ago. The PRIV2 would literally self-combust in users pockets......
    No.

My suggestion was for them to take the exact Priv's casing and design, and stuff a newer processor in it, which conite is fiercely refuting.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-22-20 04:12 PM
    No.

My suggestion was for them to take the exact Priv's casing and design, and stuff a newer processor in it, which conite is fiercely refuting.
    Chuck was suggesting rebranding the original Priv as the Priv2. It was a joke.
    03-22-20 04:19 PM
    No.

And yes, I am fiercely refuting that, because a new SoC requires a new motherboard, new memory, new modem, new ports, new charging, new everything. And all of that needs new drivers and new software.

Of course they would likely reuse the existing slider technology, but so what? That's just one tiny piece of a huge puzzle.
    Last edited by conite; 03-22-20 at 04:32 PM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-22-20 04:20 PM
165 123 ...