Since the 10.2.xxx update I have not been able to view images in emails....as seen in the screen shot, all I see is the box where the image should be, with a question mark in the middle. There is nothing anywhere that says, download images or anything of the sort...nor is anything in any settings. I have gone through every setting in the phone, and still nothing.

I have looked through all the settings.....no luck finding anything to resolve this....

I don't think i have had a stroke...lol....what the heck am I missing here.

PS...I have tried enabling "download images automatically".

ANY HELP.....
    Attached Thumbnails Images in emails not displaying!-img_20140227_142413.png   Images in emails not displaying!-img_20140227_142901.png  
    02-27-14 08:08 PM
    Since the 10.2.xxx update I have not been able to view images in emails....as seen in the screen shot, all I see is the box where the image should be, with a question mark in the middle. There is nothing anywhere that says, download images or anything of the sort...nor is anything in any settings. I have gone through every setting in the phone, and still nothing.

I have looked through all the settings.....no luck finding anything to resolve this....

I don't think i have had a stroke...lol....what the heck am I missing here.

PS...I have tried enabling "download images automatically".

Haven't seen this complaint before.

Do you have this issue with ANY email, from ANY sender, on ANY email account?

How many email accounts do you have setup on the device?

It's possible an external proxy or spam filter or something at your ISP is filtering something.
    02-27-14 08:37 PM
    Reminds me of issue with BBOS when not being on a BIS and using only wifi same problem. Strange and now wifi issue shies up. Hmm mm

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 08:55 PM
    And how did you do the update?

A lot of people got taken in by bad advice that was posted here on how to do an in-place update, and didn't install all the updated OS files, resulting in a screwed-up OS on their device.
    02-27-14 09:19 PM
    In an effort to try to replicate the issue, I used a different email addy instead of the one in the above mentioned post, at the same website I was getting the other emails. RESULT: same problem. ALSO...if I click on one of the squares where the image should be, I am sent to the webpage on their site where the image and description is, and, I get this..."site identity not verifiable....the certificate expired on thu Oct 23 2014-(yes the date is correct.
    Even after adding the exception, it still won't load images right on the website.

When I installed the OS(BELL Canada) I just used the link from SETTINGS -> SOFTWARE UPDATES.
    I don't know how or have the knowledge required to do it any other way.
    In the hub, i am using 3 pop email accts and 1 email from outlook.com...also have FB, whatsapp, linkedin and twitter.
    02-27-14 10:36 PM
    In an effort to try to replicate the issue, I used a different email addy instead of the one in the above mentioned post, at the same website I was getting the other emails. RESULT: same problem.

I'm not sure what the website you refer to means in relationship to reading emails on the device.

Yes, if you click on the images it will try to take you to a website because those emails are HTML, ie designed as a web page. And in order to view the images, your device will need to load them from a webserver even if you do not click on anything.

But the most curious part is that even if you had "Download images automatically" NOT selected in Hub settings, there should be something that appears at the top of the email to "Load external images".

The fact that is not showing up is what led me to surmise you might have had something go wrong with the OS update.

ALSO...if I click on one of the squares where the image should be, I am sent to the webpage on their site where the image and description is, and, I get this..."site identity not verifiable....the certificate expired on thu Oct 23 2014-(yes the date is correct.
    Even after adding the exception, it still won't load images right on the website.

This is why I asked you if it applies to ALL messages with images that you receive.

Because the issue could simply be that the device is blocking loading of images from a website with an invalid SSL certificate.

In the hub, i am using 3 pop email accts and 1 email from outlook.com...also have FB, whatsapp, linkedin and twitter.

Thanks for those details.

Does the web browser on the device load general webpages fine? IE if you go to www.yahoo.com or www.cnn.com, does it load?
    02-28-14 03:55 AM
    Answer to your problem: In "Hub/Options (or sttings)/Display and Actions" there is a button (0/1) [the 5th] where you set up: 'Automatically download pics'... I have a german OS and do not know the "true translation" but here's a screen shot of mine... simply turn it on, then restart HUB by 5 swipes from right upper corner toward centre to apply!

Images in emails not displaying!-img_20140228_112018.png

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    02-28-14 04:23 AM
    Answer to your problem: In "Hub/Options (or sttings)/Display and Actions" there is a button (0/1) [the 5th] where you set up: 'Automatically download pics'...

He covered that in the first post.
    02-28-14 04:35 AM
    To have images display in email messages use Settings, Display and Actions from within the Email application. However, some images might not appear due to what I presume is Javascript.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    PicmanPanther likes this.
    02-28-14 05:15 AM
    He covered that in the first post.
    Woops... Sorry...
    I thought "Light on, I solved it"
    :-P

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    02-28-14 05:17 AM
    I'm not sure what the website you refer to means in relationship to reading emails on the device.

Yes, if you click on the images it will try to take you to a website because those emails are HTML, ie designed as a web page. And in order to view the images, your device will need to load them from a webserver even if you do not click on anything.

But the most curious part is that even if you had "Download images automatically" NOT selected in Hub settings, there should be something that appears at the top of the email to "Load external images".

The fact that is not showing up is what led me to surmise you might have had something go wrong with the OS update.

This is why I asked you if it applies to ALL messages with images that you receive.

Because the issue could simply be that the device is blocking loading of images from a website with an invalid SSL certificate.

Thanks for those details.

Does the web browser on the device load general webpages fine? IE if you go to www.yahoo.com or www.cnn.com, does it load?
    When not selected, the "load external images" does appear, but when I select it, it does nothing.
    Yes most web pages load just fine, including the 2 listed above(tried both to make sure).
    Very much appreciating your help Omnitech and others.
    02-28-14 06:03 AM
    I have the same issue!! The only fix I've found is restarting the phone (z10). This solves the issue temporarily but then it happens again. Ugh!!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 05:59 PM
    When not selected, the "load external images" does appear, but when I select it, it does nothing.
    Yes most web pages load just fine, including the 2 listed above(tried both to make sure).

To have images display in email messages use Settings, Display and Actions from within the Email application. However, some images might not appear due to what I presume is Javascript.

And qwerty4ever's point does potentially explain SOME of those scenarios. Many webpages include images which are not traditional anchor tags, but they are doing "funny stuff" with javascript to load images.

This is why I asked you if it acts this way on ALL images. Because it may have to do with the way those emails are constructed.

I'm pretty sure BlackBerry does not allow javascript to run inside of email messages, because it's a serious security and privacy vulnerability. It would not surprise me if that is why SOME images do not display in emails.

If someone wants me to send them a test message with an image attached that does NOT use javascript, feel free to PM me.

Alternatively, you could go to the following webpage, select the link for "Inline GIF image" or "Inline JPEG image", and "Base64", and have it send you an email with an image attachment. (Bear in mind that this uses the email program on the device you open the webpage with, and you may have to do some copying/pasting):

TidBITS: Email Attachment Tests

Or - just send an email to yourself with a small image attached.
    03-02-14 06:26 PM
    And qwerty4ever's point does potentially explain SOME of those scenarios. Many webpages include images which are not traditional anchor tags, but they are doing "funny stuff" with javascript to load images.

This is why I asked you if it acts this way on ALL images. Because it may have to do with the way those emails are constructed.

I'm pretty sure BlackBerry does not allow javascript to run inside of email messages, because it's a serious security and privacy vulnerability. It would not surprise me if that is why SOME images do not display in emails.
    That actually explains then whats going on...thank you very much Omni..
    Yours and the others help here was fantastic...CHEERS

Incidently, I am curious if you experience the same issues from the same site(its really the only one I have had issues with...but love the emails),the only link i could find was below. They do have some pretty cool stuff and I like to see what they have.....If you sign up for the emails, just cancel them once you get the first one...just to see if you have the same issues.
    https://www.touchofmodern.com/i/4LVH2X77

Omnitech likes this.
    03-04-14 04:41 AM
    That actually explains then whats going on...thank you very much Omni..
    Yours and the others help here was fantastic...CHEERS

Glad the info is helping.

Incidently, I am curious if you experience the same issues from the same site(its really the only one I have had issues with...but love the emails),the only link i could find was below. They do have some pretty cool stuff and I like to see what they have.....If you sign up for the emails, just cancel them once you get the first one...just to see if you have the same issues.
    https://www.touchofmodern.com/i/4LVH2X77

I will try that later after I setup a throwaway email address to use on it.
    03-04-14 07:46 AM
    Just bumping this so I remember to do the test.
    03-06-14 03:04 AM