passport 10.3.1.1154 here...

is anyone able to explain why image file size grows when I crop an image...
    I first noticed it with instagram and assumed they were adding info or their image processing/dithering was creating a larger file, but seriously how do you end up with a jpeg 50% larger when you've trimmed out 75% of the image...

I was messing around and found a quicker, more accurate way to crop an image was to zoom in on the part you like in photo viewer and screenshot it. this too produced a file 50% larger than the original shot that I cropped down considerably...

whats going on?

while we're here...how do I view all exif data on an image?

Posted via CB750
    01-02-15 10:09 AM
    Make sure it's saving as a JPG and not a PNG.

On a PC, use Irfanview to view the EXIF data on any image.
    01-02-15 10:24 AM
    Make sure it's saving as a JPG and not a PNG.

On a PC, use Irfanview to view the EXIF data on any image.
    youre right...screenshots are saved as png.

thats 1 for 3... can anyone address the instagram thing and exif data?

Posted via CB750
    01-02-15 10:37 AM
    youre right...screenshots are saved as png.

thats 1 for 3... can anyone address the instagram thing and exif data?

Posted via CB750

I use an Android app for EXIF viewing. All the BlackBerry World ones were broken on passport last time I checked - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifviewer&hl=en
    01-02-15 10:44 AM
    thanks i'll check it out...

btw, I used "image resizer" to convert the png to jpg, keeping the same resolution...I really dont see a difference but the the file size went from 3MB to 205KB... wowzers! waste of space (and data usage)

Posted via CB750
    01-02-15 10:49 AM
    I use an Android app for EXIF viewing. All the BlackBerry World ones were broken on passport last time I checked - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifviewer&hl=en
    oof. that app is terrible. the cludgy file browser crashed as soon as I located my camera folder (over 2000 pics)...

anything that will show up in the 'open with' list?

Posted via CB750
    01-02-15 10:54 AM
    thanks i'll check it out...

btw, I used "image resizer" to convert the png to jpg, keeping the same resolution...I really dont see a difference but the the file size went from 3MB to 205KB... wowzers! waste of space (and data usage)

Posted via CB750
    Yeah, PNG isn't compressed like JPEG, but on the flip side PNG has less image quality loss in each subsequent save.

If you crop a JPEG, but save the crop as a PNG, it will grow much larger in file size over the JPEG you cropped from.
    01-02-15 11:07 AM
    therefore bb10 should take photos as png, and save image crops/reductions a jpg.....dontcha think??

Posted via CB750
    01-02-15 11:13 AM
    therefore bb10 should take photos as png, and save image crops/reductions a jpg.....dontcha think??

Posted via CB750
    In a perfect world

But if the Camera app photos saved as PNG or in a raw format, each would be in the average of 7+MB I would guess, would fill up the device memory fast if no SD present.
    Trade off, I suspect.
    01-02-15 11:47 AM
    JPEG is designed specifically for storing photographs. This allows tuning the compression to do a good job on photography. PNG is a general image format. Some images that are stored in PNG would suffer significant degradation if compressed with the JPEG compression algorithm. Quite often PNG images are used for icons and such in user interfaces. BB10 uses them this way. So quite often they are loaded then resized for the display size. Compression would result in poorer images in this case.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    01-02-15 12:10 PM
    oof. that app is terrible. the cludgy file browser crashed as soon as I located my camera folder (over 2000 pics)...

anything that will show up in the 'open with' list?

Posted via CB750

Worked fine for me. Granted I don't have nearly as many pictures though. If you have that many, might be better off just using a online one through your browser. I've never had to test any others really.
    01-02-15 12:42 PM