I had one of these reactions after BlackBerry Maps kept trying to put me through a detoured construction area and couldn't reroute after I started driving away. Of course Google Maps on my wife's Samsung knew of the construction and detour.

It will pass.

Posted via CB10
    Fortunately Google Maps works great on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 12:35 AM
    Fortunately Google Maps works great on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, true.
    07-18-16 01:14 AM
    Been a member of this community and supporter of blackberry for a very long time, however, I agree with the OP. I have tried to support BlackBerry but they have turned into a crap company, and can no longer compete with android/iphone. My classic constantly freezes and crashes and I'm sick of the crappy app selection and sick of having to sideload or dl android apps that are glitchy and laggy...
    The other thing is, how on earth could you price ur latesrt phone at $900 which is the iphone price? And why take 2 years to come out with new hardware? Just a terrible company now

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 07:13 AM
    they have turned into a crap company, and can no longer compete with android/iphone.
    Posted via CB10
    When exactly was BlackBerry competitive against iPhone / Android?
    07-18-16 08:04 AM
    Most of y'all fail to see the issue @ hand, Uber has been in existence for how long and there still isn't an official BlackBerry app and we r to take bb10 serious?...#jokers

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 08:20 AM
    Most of y'all fail to see the issue @ hand, Uber has been in existence for how long and there still isn't an official BlackBerry app and we r to take bb10 serious?...#jokers

Posted via CB10
    You can take BlackBerry as seriously as you wish, but everyone knew getting in that BlackBerry was an email platform, not an app platform. Developers aren't going to run to BlackBerry when they command 0.2% of the market. Even at BB10's peak, they never had more than 3%.
    07-18-16 08:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    Shouldn't you be mad at Uber? Why did you buy any BB10 phone? We've never had apps for a lot of stuff from the beginning? Where have you been?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-18-16 09:16 AM
    I too agree w/the OP, there are just some APPs that you just need and I'm almost reliving pre-BB10 where people are using apps that I can't smoothly run or run at all. Once WhatsApp (my #1 most used app) is not supported at the end of the year, it's bye-bye BB10! And before you guys suggest BBM, none of my 120+ contacts on WhatsApp are on BBM and maybe 2 or 3 tried it and never used it again.
    07-19-16 09:05 AM
    I too agree w/the OP, there are just some APPs that you just need and I'm almost reliving pre-BB10 where people are using apps that I can't smoothly run or run at all. Once WhatsApp (my #1 most used app) is not supported at the end of the year, it's bye-bye BB10! And before you guys suggest BBM, none of my 120+ contacts on WhatsApp are on BBM and maybe 2 or 3 tried it and never used it again.
    No one will disagree that we have a problem with apps on bb10. We all knew that we were buying a device with extremely low market share and very little developer support. There is no point to get upset about it however. If Bb10 no longer works for us, we simply move on.

The surprising thing about the OP was that he was actually surprised
    David Tyler likes this.
    07-19-16 09:14 AM
    SHSHHOCKING!!!!

07-19-16 01:28 PM
    Mmm Hmm. As I said, a fallacy that BB10 diehards continue to perpetuate.
    I'm far away from a die hard. I came to BB10 because its lesser evil than the others. And none have proper mobile experience, for what I need anyway.

I am a die hard when I defend my opinion and that is app workflow is a wrong workflow. Has always been. We need unified environment with extensions not apps. Remember how you had to have an app for flashlight? Of course if you were an iOS user you didn't even have that option til few years down the road. Today flashlight is included in your OS not as an app by as and extension of User Interface! What an marvelous idea! Too bad its ten years late by now.

Now imagine what else we could have integrated also. If you can't than I understand why you think apps are bread and butter. Few platforms had this right webOS and early Windows Phone 7 but their integrated services got killed really quick due to service providers not wanting their "experience" to be chopped. In other words ads, you don't get to see the ad sponsored content as people hub would only provide you with content you want and that is truly relevant to your. Amazing revelation.
    07-19-16 01:47 PM
    I'm far away from a die hard. I came to BB10 because its lesser evil than the others. And none have proper mobile experience, for what I need anyway.

I am a die hard when I defend my opinion and that is app workflow is a wrong workflow. Has always been. We need unified environment with extensions not apps. Remember how you had to have an app for flashlight? Of course if you were an iOS user you didn't even have that option til few years down the road. Today flashlight is included in your OS not as an app by as and extension of User Interface! What an marvelous idea! Too bad its ten years late by now.

Now imagine what else we could have integrated also. If you can't than I understand why you think apps are bread and butter. Few platforms had this right webOS and early Windows Phone 7 but their integrated services got killed really quick due to service providers not wanting their "experience" to be chopped. In other words ads, you don't get to see the ad sponsored content as people hub would only provide you with content you want and that is truly relevant to your. Amazing revelation.
    Your Paradigm works fine for a simple task like a flashlight. But when it comes to things like file managers, browsers, media players, image viewers, email clients, instant messaging, it falls apart.

Workflow efficiency can be increased dramatically when one is able to choose apps that best suit their needs. Invariably they are always better than those provided by the phone manufacturer.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-19-16 02:04 PM
    I understand your point, but I would much rather use the ESPN app and others that have a similar user friendly format. The Web pages have too much embedded stuff in it (videos, ads that load slowly, etc).

Posted via CB10
    I hear you. ESPN is one of the most tragic cases of lazy mobile development. I had the misfortune to follow their progress due to something else and they are horrible! They got better about a year ago but before that their Android app sucked major donkey and mobile web was a joke. They are a perfect example how not to do the app or m.web

I can tell you right away that team of three people can knock the website like ESPN to act exactly like their app when you visit their mobile site.

Problem with web browsers today is that they do not cache the frame or content that is always there and never changes such as menu, backgrounds, fonts, and what not. so going to mobile site will always be tad slower than the app cause the app already has that information in it self and then it just populates the content from the web. We were aware of this like more than three to four years ago and its not up until now that you have something like Progressive Web App (of course not supported by Apple).

Trust me when I say this but most app that are just containers will be dropped and will be run through the browser but you will not even know that cause you will have your icon on the home page or app drawer just like any other app icon.

But it could have been even better. Instead of having to download multiple sports apps like ESPN, F1, MotoGP, NBA whatever.. designers of mobile OSes and lets say Blackberry could have easily had a Hub for all of your news! Yes a hub which would also act like a container and would populate the information for you. Then it should go even further by allowing media outlets to extend their services and make extensions to the Hub in order to offer you premium or paid services like live streaming, exclusive articles and many, many other exclusive content. See no multiple apps, no switching all information from multiple sources available in one place and the best yet its searchable, it could be integrated into your calendar, your reminder, your social account. You could do all the things that app approach we have today is not able to give you.
    07-19-16 02:05 PM
    I wasn't able to use Uber over the last few years because I chose not to use Android/iOS/BB. Could you just imagine how stinkin rich I would be if I sued Uber for all the times I had to walk home or use regular cab services?

Get yourself an Android and use mobile hotspot w/ your BB to get the best of both worlds, OP. I'm about to go that route myself.
    This Is Interesting, It Seems Like I Meet More & More People With Priest Avatars Everyday On CB

Posted From My Priv In The Jungles Of Congo
    07-19-16 08:47 PM
    My attitude is that, if a company can't be bothered to make a mobile Web site that works properly, it doesn't want my money.

If you care about using Android apps, sadly, it's time to at least consider moving on from BB10, because the situation will only get worse.

I'd rather give up Android Apps than my BB10 phone, but I'm in the minority.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 09:30 AM

I agree with you 100%, but the business model for apps has always been to give them away for free or cheap as a promotion to become the next Facebook, �ber, or Pokemon Go, and then make money either by selling services or through advertising.

In that business environment, Blackberry's model of an integrated platform, designed for specific, common work flows, was no longer commercially viable, because customers refused to pay a premium for it. (Just look at all the people in these forums who only compare phones on hardware specs!)

The mobile OS has become a commodity, and consumers are left with a fragmented app universe with very limited interoperability between apps, and with enormous compromises in efficiency, privacy and security. In addition, and what I detest most, consumers are expected to spend their valuable time choosing and integrating these underperforming apps on their own.

This is unlikely to change, because what Apple (and later Google) understand is that people love novelty and genuinely enjoy the myriad of choices they have to find and install new apps. Consumers are very satisfied with the new model. Apple and Google makes billions of dollars through their shops, and developers have been able to build 100s of thousands of relatively small and simple products, largely funded by venture capital. So, economically, it has been a very successful virtuous circle.

What has been lost, unfortunately, is elegance, efficiency and interoperability. Most consumers don't expect or value those properties, and companies can't profit from offering them. Just as reality TV, which is cheaper and faster to produce, has largely replaced scripted TV series on broadcast TV, we are stuck with a dumbed down version of what a moble platform could deliver.

Unfortunately, mobile phone buyers, unlike the TV audience, are unwilling to pay a premium for a differentiated option, like HBO.

I personally think BlackBerry should have embraced it's position as an alternative to iOS/Android at launch and tried to secure a solid 3-5% market share with an integrated platform vision, but the company still had dreams of returning to dominance, so it tried, and failed, to address the mainstream market.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 09:52 AM
    What has been lost, unfortunately, is elegance, efficiency and interoperability.
    Posted via CB10
    You lost me here.

Using the Priv, I have come to know a level of integration and sharing that was unheard of on either BBOS or BB10.

Moving information between storage, media, and communications is in an entirely different league. App integration is so deep, it becomes indistinguishable from the OS.

This modular paradigm (OS+apps) that you imply is clunky can actually be used to great advantage by virtue of customisation. No longer are we stuck with default functionality.

Priv STV100-1 AAF518 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-20-16 10:42 AM
    Yo dude I don't blame you, but I have to tell you, you won't be disappointed if you go the blackberry PRIV route, it's my upgrade to my Z30, having a blast

07-20-16 11:31 AM
    You lost me here.

Using the Priv, I have come to know a level of integration and sharing that was unheard of on either BBOS or BB10.

Moving information between storage, media, and communications is in an entirely different league. App integration is so deep, it becomes indistinguishable from the OS.

This modular paradigm (OS+apps) that you imply is clunky can actually be used to great advantage by virtue of customisation. No longer are we stuck with default functionality.

Priv STV100-1 AAF518 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    It sounds like, by carefully selecting apps and configuring your device, you can achieve a great, integrated experience for your personal needs and work flow. But how many users (or small and medium businesses) can or want to make that kind of effort?

The customization approach you promote essentially transfers the burden of selecting, configuring and documenting essential software tools from the manufacturer, working with developers, to employers and consumers. These are significant burdens that are not within the core competencies of most consumers and businesses, and this transfer of responsibility jeopardizes both productivity and security.

When I buy a car, I expect it to be an effective tool with only very minor adjustments (seats and mirrors) required for effective use. I don't want to have to swap out the stock brakes, transmission and steering wheel, not to mention all of the other controls, for aftermarket products from third parties before I can pull away from the curb, accelerate, break, signal and make a right turn.

I have no problem with customization, on mobile devices or cars, but it's not a good approach for the vast majority of users or businesses who lack the time, experience or interest in optimizing their phones.

I want the manufacturer to do its job of offering a fully functioning, well-designed device with carefully selected and configured software chosen with some standardized use cases in mind. I believe it should be the manufacturer's job to select and configure the appropriate apps for essential functions. That's what I pay for when I buy a phone.

When I test drove the Priv, I found that basic tasks (navigating between accounts, reading and responding to emails, including related file management tasks) involved more steps, and was less efficient than in the BB10 Hub. Here are a couple of examples:

1) Reviewing messages by account.

In BB10, I just swipe right from anywhere within the Hub and select an account. On the Priv I had to tap the small Nav icon in the upper left of the Hub, which is very difficult to do one-handed. So, one of my most frequent tasks, scanning communications on an account by account basis , went from being a one-handed task to being a two-handed one. That's almost a deal-breaker on its own.

2) Using the file manager to find and send a file via BBM or email (from any of several email accounts) from cloud storage or a media card.

Well, there is no native file manager on the Priv, so this is impossible unless I install a 3rd party app like ES. However, none of the mainstream file manager developers will sign an HIPPA BAA agreement (Google Apps will, btw), so, since I have health care clients, I can't use any of those file managers. In addition, many of them are developed overseas, so that I can't guarantee that my clients' IP will be secure. Of course, I could encrypt all files on my handset, but that adds another burden which consumes time and processing power, as well as expense if I go with an established, professional solution. This problem simply doesn't exist on BB10, because it's native file manager is trusted and certified by many organizations.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 06:49 PM
    It sounds like, by carefully selecting apps and configuring your device, you can achieve a great, integrated experience for your personal needs and work flow. But how many users (or small and medium businesses) can or want to make that kind of effort?

The customization approach you promote essentially transfers the burden of selecting, configuring and documenting essential software tools from the manufacturer, working with developers, to employers and consumers. These are significant burdens that are not within the core competencies of most consumers and businesses, and this transfer of responsibility jeopardizes both productivity and security.

When I buy a car, I expect it to be an effective tool with only very minor adjustments (seats and mirrors) required for effective use. I don't want to have to swap out the stock brakes, transmission and steering wheel, not to mention all of the other controls, for aftermarket products from third parties before I can pull away from the curb, accelerate, break, signal and make a right turn.

I have no problem with customization, on mobile devices or cars, but it's not a good approach for the vast majority of users or businesses who lack the time, experience or interest in optimizing their phones.

I want the manufacturer to do its job of offering a fully functioning, well-designed device with carefully selected and configured software chosen with some standardized use cases in mind. I believe it should be the manufacturer's job to select and configure the appropriate apps for essential functions. That's what I pay for when I buy a phone.

When I test drove the Priv, I found that basic tasks (navigating between accounts, reading and responding to emails, including related file management tasks) involved more steps, and was less efficient than in the BB10 Hub. Here are a couple of examples:

1) Reviewing messages by account.

In BB10, I just swipe right from anywhere within the Hub and select an account. On the Priv I had to tap the small Nav icon in the upper left of the Hub, which is very difficult to do one-handed. So, one of my most frequent tasks, scanning communications on an account by account basis , went from being a one-handed task to being a two-handed one. That's almost a deal-breaker on its own.

2) Using the file manager to find and send a file via BBM or email (from any of several email accounts) from cloud storage or a media card.

Well, there is no native file manager on the Priv, so this is impossible unless I install a 3rd party app like ES. However, none of the mainstream file manager developers will sign an HIPPA BAA agreement (Google Apps will, btw), so, since I have health care clients, I can't use any of those file managers. In addition, many of them are developed overseas, so that I can't guarantee that my clients' IP will be secure. Of course, I could encrypt all files on my handset, but that adds another burden which consumes time and processing power, as well as expense if I go with an established, professional solution. This problem simply doesn't exist on BB10, because it's native file manager is trusted and certified by many organizations.

Posted via CB10
    But there is effort required for BB10 with sideloading/Sachesi/Cobalt which is way beyond any typical consumer if they want/expect a typical user experience rich in apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 09:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    You make it out to be difficult. It's not.

It's not any harder than choosing a browser, a media player, vpn software, or any number of other apps on a windows desktop.
    07-20-16 10:03 PM
    But there is effort required for BB10 with sideloading/Sachesi/Cobalt which is way beyond any typical consumer if they want/expect a typical user experience rich in apps.

Posted via CB10
    If you want Android apps, BB10 makes less and less sense. I run BB10 without any Android apps at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 10:45 PM
    You make it out to be difficult. It's not.

It's not any harder than choosing a browser, a media player, vpn software, or any number of other apps on a windows desktop.
    I understand, but all of those applications on a Windows machine are thoroughly vetted and certified by numerous security experts. I can't find a single mainstream or free Android file manager with the same credibility as Firefox or Cisco's VPN, for example. In comparison to the Windows ecosystem, Android is still a lot like the wild west.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 10:49 PM
    Attachment 404140

I kept getting this last night

Posted via CB10
    Getting back to the point of this thread, OP I'm going to call BS on you blaming BB10 as the problem for your account details. I was having problems signing in, but I asked Uber to allow access to use m.uber.com and now I can sign in with no issues there, even through app from the play store. So now I know my connection error problem was from their end.

I'm running .2813 so I know the ART isn't an issue either. I hope you updated your details on their website and that fixed your connection issue.

Attachment 404441

Attachment 404442
    Attached Thumbnails I'm so done defending BB10 after tonight...-img_20160721_064059.png   I'm so done defending BB10 after tonight...-img_20160721_064140.png  
    07-20-16 11:42 PM
    It's been almost a week since the OP's last reply. I'm assuming he already ditched his BB10 device and moved on.
    Nothing more to argue about here.

*A3-A20
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    07-21-16 02:53 AM
114 ... 2345