09-30-14 11:09 PM
86 1234
tools
    Wow. I never knew these could be issues. I never faced these issues or thought of them as issues. But everyone is different. I'll try and see if I can help you out.

In 1: I guess the "tap to open" is to confirm your selection. It could get annoying if a single tap would open the app if you touch it by mistake while reading the subject. Or maybe its there to make sure it's not an accidental tap from your touchscreen. I've accidentally called a lot of people while walking around.

In 2: I never delete emails so I don't know. Me and my friends use tags in our emails so we don't have problem in searching for things. I just leave them in the hub until I need them. I just tap the magnifying glass, type tag, and it all comes up. Very organised.

In 3: I didn't know one could share music on FB. I don't use FB.

In 4: Yep.

In 5: I just checked the reminder app and it can set to remind you at the whichever time you want. But I'm on 10.3 so I don't know how it is on the old one. It shouldn't be that different though.

In 6: I know nothing about This.

Posted via CB10
    2. E mails automatically disappear from the hub after a short while anyway which is annoying as I have to then use browser to access my accounts for older e mails I wanted to retain? Same on play book!

Posted by my splendid Z10
    09-26-14 12:33 AM
    Check out my screen shots above. My Remember app doesn't look like this and I am running 10.2.1 (. 2977)
    Same release here. I guess you didn't see there is 2 options : Due Date (date) and Remember (Date and Time).

UPDATE: I saw you find the culprit : Outlook Calendar
    09-26-14 04:14 AM
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a new windows phone?, I can tell you are making a grave mistake... But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stay with BlackBerry now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do leave BlackBerry and join windows.... or any other platform....... I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

LOL sorry...i couldn't help my self.

STAY WITH US BROTHER!!!

lmao
    jefbeard911 and Bobert_123 like this.
    09-26-14 04:28 AM
    2. E mails automatically disappear from the hub after a short while anyway which is annoying as I have to then use browser to access my accounts for older e mails I wanted to retain? Same on play book!

Posted by my splendid Z10
    Disappear?? I don't think so...i've had emails on my hub for weeks even months.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 05:10 AM
    A couple things,

For me, I don't want to be 'productive' with my phone. I want something fun and usable. As far as functionality, Both WP and Android are have more than adequate 'functionality'. I don't need 10 ways to set an alarm or organise my email. I need 1 way that makes sense. More 'buttons' isn't always the solution.

All of that being said, I like BB10. My original intention was to get answers to my questions, hoping that it's my newest to the platform that we the issue and not OS. it seems like it's 50/50.

Amyway. Thanks for your comments and input (said without any sarchasm or snark).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Well then, there lies your problem...sounds like you want a toy, then why not get an iphone? the "problems" you're having is you were used to one os and find it hard to settle with a different one... i went through the same ordeal going from bb7 to bb10. there were things that were easier to do in bb7 that i wished were implemented in bb10 but i stuck with it and after a few months i forgot all about bb7 and what i missed about it...

If you lack the patience to put in the time to learn to navigate your phone then get something that will be "simpler" for you...personally, i'm all about security and there isn't a phone on the market that could match the security of a blackberry. I can't remember the last time i used my phone to play a game, but that's just me...

have fun playing games with your next phone. just try not to take naked pic of yourself.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 05:28 AM
    I can't recall seeing any advertising that put much emphasis on BlackBerry being fun. It does seem optimistic to choose BlackBerry on that basis.
    09-26-14 06:35 AM
    I don't recall saying anything about games...

The ol' "My phone is better that your phone " mentality. There's always one in the crowd.

Cheers mate!

via CB10 from my awesome BlackBerry Z3
    09-26-14 07:05 AM
    OK, I'm starting to piece this together.

When I save the task to an "unfilled entry"
    Folder it give me the option to select the exact time.

But when I save it to my Outlook calendar folder (which is where I want to save it) it doesn't allow you to select the exact time, just increments of time.

Who knew?

Not me. You've taught me something today.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-26-14 07:09 AM
    Blackberry can't be fun, huh? Crap, I think I showed up at the wrong party..

09-26-14 07:10 AM
    Nobody said it couldn't be fun. Why would you make up something like that?

I said I couldn't recall any BlackBerry advertising or promotion that emphasised fun, making it an odd choice if that's one of your top requirements.

I've seen a lot of promotion emphasising how suitable it is for secure comms, business and general reliability.

Definitions of fun vary of course.
    09-26-14 08:40 AM
    10.3 is head and shoulders above 10.2... I wouldn't make any decisions until you tried it out on your device...

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-26-14 10:21 AM
    So you can just share song and title from the stock music app on WP8? That seems like something you get with a streaming service.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 11:13 AM
    Nobody said it couldn't be fun. Why would you make up something like that?

I said I couldn't recall any BlackBerry advertising or promotion that emphasised fun, making it an odd choice if that's one of your top requirements.

I've seen a lot of promotion emphasising how suitable it is for secure comms, business and general reliability.

Definitions of fun vary of course.
    Point taken.
    09-27-14 09:16 AM
    Yeah, I plan on doing that. No decision has been made. My main goal was to get my issues fixed, not switch platforms. I really love the hardware.
    09-27-14 09:21 AM
    So you can just share song and title from the stock music app on WP8? That seems like something you get with a streaming service.

Posted via CB10
    Like I said above, I'm not sure if you can do that on WP or Android for that matter. I just happen to see the share icon and wondered if it was possible to share artist and song in FB. That's all.

The suggestion to try Soundhound doesn't seem to be working all that well but I will key playing with it.
    09-27-14 09:23 AM
    @jefbeard911 I do wonder if people end up trying BB because there's almost no choice in Android handsets offering a hardware keyboard, and so they look at Q10's as a result. Or is a native Messenger app. the driver?

I find even the best virtual keyboards annoying to use in comparison to the Q10s. I don't play fast moving games much any more - no more consoles - but I'd love a Nexus 10 size BB tablet device that would allow something like Monument Valley to be played without squinting.
    09-27-14 09:26 AM
    Mrsean2k,

Good question, but I couldn't tell you. I personally found the q10 screen too small and, while I like the idea of a physical kb, the virtual ones I've used are just fine with me. The z3 kb is awesome, so is WP, and frankly, Android have a lot of great virtual kb's.

Why do people try BB? Well, the harsh reality is that most aren't, thus BB's current difficulties. I am using it because I like the swipe gesture based OS. It's not as good as WebOS's though. But they are dead and BB10 is its modern successor.

I don't think people switch because of the native messenger, BBM. I find most people don't really care which one they're using and may switch back and forth between Facebook Messenger, What's app, Line, Viper, ect ect.

I think Blackberry has become a niche OS for old time BlackBerry users and us experimentalists who go back and forth between platforms. I have a WP, Android, and iPhone although I don't use the iPhone or Android much.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

kbz1960 likes this.
    09-27-14 12:13 PM
    Like I said above, I'm not sure if you can do that on WP or Android for that matter. I just happen to see the share icon and wondered if it was possible to share artist and song in FB. That's all.

The suggestion to try Soundhound doesn't seem to be working all that well but I will key playing with it.
    Can you elaborate on that?

Really appreciate that you are so responsive

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:29 PM
    Pretty amazing thread. Love the power of the CB community coming together to try and help out a new BlackBerry user. I'm anxiously following to see what the OP ends up doing. Hopefully he sticks with the Z3, but if he doesn't, kudos for making the effort to try and resolve the gaps that are preventing him from fully embracing the incredible BB10 platform.

I for one don't feel this is a niche OS. People just need to give it a fair try (at least 2-4 weeks, not 2-4 days). It's a very deep, powerful and versatile OS with so many hidden little goodies! I really hope the OP ends up agreeing as well!

Kudos also go to the posters in this thread who've been so patient and helpful. Very refreshing to see a platform decision discussion not overrun by trolls (well, except for the a$$hat who told the OP to jump).

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-27-14 09:24 PM
    Can you elaborate on that?

Really appreciate that you are so responsive

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I installed Soundhound. Pretty straight forward and kept it open. Then I went to the Music app where I have some of my own music and played a song. Went back to Soundhound and selected "listen" (or whatever the name of the launch button is called). The wheels spun to let me know it was working and then it said it couldn't determine the song. I tried it a few times with the same song. Same result. I was playing it thru the speakers so I switched to a headset and same result.

I tried 3 different artists and a few more songs and it couldn't determine any of them. I also tried the Android version of Soundhound. Same thing.

My collection of music isn't that eclectic. If you wanna know, I tried De La Soul, Enya, and The Phycadelic Furs.

Another person suggestion Quick Post. That looks promising but it's a paid app and with my troubles getting BlackBerry World to accept my CC/PayPal (see my first post) I'm limited to free apps.

09-27-14 09:41 PM
    By the way, for all of you Swipe and SwiftKey lovers. You can install it on BB10. It works fine. Will only work with your Android apps though. I installed it last night.

See my post "Installing SwiftKey on BlackBerry 10 - It Works! "

09-27-14 09:45 PM
    Pretty amazing thread. Love the power of the CB community coming together to try and help out a new BlackBerry user. I'm anxiously following to see what the OP ends up doing. Hopefully he sticks with the Z3, but if he doesn't, kudos for making the effort to try and resolve the gaps that are preventing him from fully embracing the incredible BB10 platform.

I for one don't feel this is a niche OS. People just need to give it a fair try (at least 2-4 weeks, not 2-4 days). It's a very deep, powerful and versatile OS with so many hidden little goodies! I really hope the OP ends up agreeing as well!

Kudos also go to the posters in this thread who've been so patient and helpful. Very refreshing to see a platform decision discussion not overrun by trolls (well, except for the a$$hat who told the OP to jump).

Posted via CB10
    You da man! Thanks!

09-27-14 10:05 PM
    Most people settle in on a particular OS and become complacent. Not saying that's a bad thing but it's a fact. If you really want to see what BB1O OS has to offer YOU. Take some time to watch walk through videos. Their accessible through the search option.

Enjoy whatever decision you make!

Z10 (STL 100-3) with vitamin 10.2.1.3337
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-27-14 10:33 PM
    Ok, it's an over dramatic title but a true one if some of my issues with BB 10 are not solved.

like the title says, I'm long time WP user who just jumped ship to BB a month ago when I bought a Z3. I Love the hardware, by the way... its a software thi g that's got me bugged.

I've given myself a month to learn the OS. I love the concept of a gesture-based operating system. When it's implemented well it's the best - a la WebOS. if you haven't had the experience of using a WebOS device do yourself a favor and buy a HP TouchPad for $100 bucks, new and experience gesture done right.. But I digress...

After a month with BB 10 there are some simple things you can't do, and other things that are too much effort to do. Yes, it's an immature OS and will get better over time but I don't know if I can wait. Here are a few things that's are REALLY bugging me with BB 10.-If I'm mistaken please correct me. I would love to be wrong about these things.

1. Too many layers of buttons to push to do things. Example. The 'Glance screen' on the homepage. I see an email icon. PUSH to read it. It shows the sender and subject. PUSH, then it says 'tap to open' (I thought that's what I just did). PUSH, finally takes me to the email.

2. Emails deleted from the Hub are 'lost forever'. We'll, of course there still on the server but there is no way to reread it once deleted fro the Hub. there's a good reason why one would want to reread an email even though you deleted it from the Hub.

3. Can't share to FB or Twitter fro the stock Music app. Ahh, but I can share it with Dropbox, Box, and Evernote, huh? Why would I do that?

4. Weather app only let's me see the temp and 'partly cloudy' when running as an open app. it takes up 1/4 of the screen, yet that's all it displays without running full screen.

5. Setting a task from the Remember app doesn't allow you to set an exact reminder time. It considers the task to begin at 12am the day of the task. You can set a reminder to begin '1 hour', for example, but that would put the reminder at 11pm the day before. Whew!

6. BB World considers me 'a risk' I guess, as it won't accept my cc or PayPal account. There's a simple explanation. I'm an American living in Vietnam. I have a valid, US Bank account and card to use but it has gotten flagged as a risk, I guess. Simply, contact BB you say? Well, on the BB Help page for 'foreign' customers the only option you have is via Twitter. Really?
    A global company for the Global business man/woman who 'gets things done' No phone number, email address, chat options? Wow. So I posted to Twitter and am waiting.

it's been fun writing this and I'm not as angry or frustrated as my snarky comment might suggest. But I am disappointed. I expected better integration and less layers to do what I want to do. I've been spoiled by Windows Phone Live tiles and buttersmooth integration of the OS.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Can you do any of them on a Windows phone I ask?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:53 PM
    Can you do any of them on a Windows phone I ask?

Posted via CB10
    Yes to all but 3, which I am not sure about.

09-27-14 10:55 PM
86 1234