Ok, it's an over dramatic title but a true one if some of my issues with BB 10 are not solved.

like the title says, I'm long time WP user who just jumped ship to BB a month ago when I bought a Z3. I Love the hardware, by the way... its a software thi g that's got me bugged.

I've given myself a month to learn the OS. I love the concept of a gesture-based operating system. When it's implemented well it's the best - a la WebOS. if you haven't had the experience of using a WebOS device do yourself a favor and buy a HP TouchPad for $100 bucks, new and experience gesture done right.. But I digress...

After a month with BB 10 there are some simple things you can't do, and other things that are too much effort to do. Yes, it's an immature OS and will get better over time but I don't know if I can wait. Here are a few things that's are REALLY bugging me with BB 10.-If I'm mistaken please correct me. I would love to be wrong about these things.

1. Too many layers of buttons to push to do things. Example. The 'Glance screen' on the homepage. I see an email icon. PUSH to read it. It shows the sender and subject. PUSH, then it says 'tap to open' (I thought that's what I just did). PUSH, finally takes me to the email.

2. Emails deleted from the Hub are 'lost forever'. We'll, of course there still on the server but there is no way to reread it once deleted fro the Hub. there's a good reason why one would want to reread an email even though you deleted it from the Hub.

3. Can't share to FB or Twitter fro the stock Music app. Ahh, but I can share it with Dropbox, Box, and Evernote, huh? Why would I do that?

4. Weather app only let's me see the temp and 'partly cloudy' when running as an open app. it takes up 1/4 of the screen, yet that's all it displays without running full screen.

5. Setting a task from the Remember app doesn't allow you to set an exact reminder time. It considers the task to begin at 12am the day of the task. You can set a reminder to begin '1 hour', for example, but that would put the reminder at 11pm the day before. Whew!

6. BB World considers me 'a risk' I guess, as it won't accept my cc or PayPal account. There's a simple explanation. I'm an American living in Vietnam. I have a valid, US Bank account and card to use but it has gotten flagged as a risk, I guess. Simply, contact BB you say? Well, on the BB Help page for 'foreign' customers the only option you have is via Twitter. Really?
    A global company for the Global business man/woman who 'gets things done' No phone number, email address, chat options? Wow. So I posted to Twitter and am waiting.

it's been fun writing this and I'm not as angry or frustrated as my snarky comment might suggest. But I am disappointed. I expected better integration and less layers to do what I want to do. I've been spoiled by Windows Phone Live tiles and buttersmooth integration of the OS.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 09-25-14 at 10:40 PM.
    09-25-14 10:41 AM
    WRT 2, this took me slightly by surprise as well, but I don't think it's unreasonable behaviour once you're aware of it.

If you just want to see the unread messages in the hub pinch-in will show only unread messages, then spread out (or back) will restore them.

You can also filter what type of notifications you see from the bottom left menu.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-25-14 10:48 AM
    Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by WRT2..

As far as the emails are concerned..What I mean is after I have read the email via the Hub, I delete it (from Hub side only, not server). But let's say a week later I want to reread it for some reason, it's not in the Hub and as far as I know you can't recall it. I guess I'm looking for an archived messages folder like Gmail has.

via CB10 from my awesome BlackBerry Z3
    09-25-14 10:56 AM
    Sorry I mean "With Respect To" point 2 - bad habits from twitter.

I see what you mean. When you're in the hub, if you click on the "BlackBerry Hub" header, you should be able to drill down to the email account and folder within the account in question? Does your email still appear there?
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-25-14 11:28 AM
    Just tried point 1, as I didn't recognise that behaviour:

0) I send my self a test email

1) Seconds later I get a brief drop-down notification / red flasing LED

2) I gesture up and the peek screen shows me there's a new email. I continue the gesture swiping to the right and the hub opens

3) I tap once on the new email icon and it's showing me the email

So for me, it's one gesture and then a tap from anywhere. Are you seeing a different journey?
    09-25-14 11:37 AM
    He's talking about accessing notfications directly from the lockscreen, and there is no other way than the one he explained in the beginning, unfortunately
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-25-14 11:42 AM
    @kb61 - I see, thanks - never use that view, except to skip past it, so unfamiliar.

That's slightly trickier to test, but I've had a few DMs / messages sent, and it looks to me as if each tap takes you into a slightly better level of detail - "You have a new message in this medium" -> tap -> "This is the subject / sender" -> tap -> "This is the content / context"

It might be it's staged like that to minimise traffic until you feel the need to process it fi it appears important enough. If you always want to react and dive straight in to the detail when a message arrives, maybe not such a good fit.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-25-14 12:03 PM
    You guys rock! I didn't expect all of the testing and verification. Thanks.

Yeah, it's the lock screen view I'm talking about. I'm jargon-challenged as you can see.

Of course all of my points can be worked-around, or gotten used to. Just seems some of this could have been better thought out.

The no sharing to Facebook and Twitter from Music app has got me stumped. Seems like a no brainer feature.

And the Reminder app considering your task to start at 12am the day of is just, well..dumb. I can't imagine this got past QC...anyway

TheCSI likes this.
    09-25-14 12:16 PM
    Just jump, I surely don't want to here you cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-25-14 12:19 PM
    Ah, and Yes, the email is gone once erased from the Hub. When you access the email account by swiping left and selecting it individually, the email is not there either. A refresh doesn't do it.

I suppose I could unlink the account and we sync it, but that's dumb. A simple archived folder would solve the prob.

09-25-14 12:19 PM
    Just jump, I surely don't want to here you cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's not necessary.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:22 PM
    Hmm, I have access to my Trash folder on my Outlook account. Did you check your settings? Maybe it's a Gmail thing.

What the what?
    09-25-14 12:37 PM
    Hmm, I have access to my Trash folder on my Outlook account. Did you check your settings? Maybe it's a Gmail thing.

What the what?
    Yeah, it is a Gmail thing. When you delete an email in a Gmail account using BB10, it does not move it to the trash folder (which BB10 can access), but instead just removes gmail's "Inbox" label and leaves it in "All mail" (which BB10 can't access). If you want to be able to have more control over this, then use the "file" function on BB10 to move it to gmail's trash folder. (keep in mind that Google empties that folder after 30 days).

I'm on the ledge and gonna jump (Back to Win Phone) - Help!-img_20140925_132917.png

Posted via CB10
    southlander and jefbeard911 like this.
    09-25-14 12:42 PM
    Wow. I never knew these could be issues. I never faced these issues or thought of them as issues. But everyone is different. I'll try and see if I can help you out.

In 1: I guess the "tap to open" is to confirm your selection. It could get annoying if a single tap would open the app if you touch it by mistake while reading the subject. Or maybe its there to make sure it's not an accidental tap from your touchscreen. I've accidentally called a lot of people while walking around.

In 2: I never delete emails so I don't know. Me and my friends use tags in our emails so we don't have problem in searching for things. I just leave them in the hub until I need them. I just tap the magnifying glass, type tag, and it all comes up. Very organised.

In 3: I didn't know one could share music on FB. I don't use FB.

In 4: Yep.

In 5: I just checked the reminder app and it can set to remind you at the whichever time you want. But I'm on 10.3 so I don't know how it is on the old one. It shouldn't be that different though.

In 6: I know nothing about This.

Posted via CB10
    redsaph and jefbeard911 like this.
    09-25-14 12:53 PM
    Re: Reminder app

Maybe it's fixed in 10.3, or I'm missing something as there is no place to select an exact time when your setting a task.

I'm on the ledge and gonna jump (Back to Win Phone) - Help!-img_20140926_005946.png
    I'm on the ledge and gonna jump (Back to Win Phone) - Help!-img_20140926_010003.png
    I'm on the ledge and gonna jump (Back to Win Phone) - Help!-img_20140926_010017.png

09-25-14 01:04 PM
    You guys rock! I didn't expect all of the testing and verification. Thanks.

Yeah, it's the lock screen view I'm talking about. I'm jargon-challenged as you can see.

Of course all of my points can be worked-around, or gotten used to. Just seems some of this could have been better thought out.

The no sharing to Facebook and Twitter from Music app has got me stumped. Seems like a no brainer feature.

And the Reminder app considering your task to start at 12am the day of is just, well..dumb. I can't imagine this got past QC...anyway

The reminder time in Remember defaults to one hour later that the Start Time in Working Hours in the General Settings in Calendar settings.

The reason you can't share music with Facebook and Twitter is that it's sharing the actual music file and not just the Artist/Title.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    redsaph and jefbeard911 like this.
    09-25-14 01:11 PM
    I'm on the ledge and gonna jump (Back to Win Phone) - Help!-img_20140925_191549.png

This is 10.3

Deleting mail..... I stopped deleting anything in 2005 when I got my Gmail account....

On my corporate emails I used to archive once a year and can easily access emails.

I can honestly sat that anything downloaded is somewhere stored....

Music app..... so all it allows you to do is share the mp3 file with cloud storage..... this seems to make sense, no?

Spotify and other apps allow you to share on other media, since the music is in the cloud....

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:16 PM
    Thanks everyone.

Maybe I'll change my behavior and not delete anything from the Hub.

Louzer, thanks. So, Reminder defaults to 1 hr after my work start time from my calender. So if that's 8am and I want to remind myself about a dinner with friends at 7pm I have to do some quick math and set the reminder time for 8 hrs if I want 5 pm reminder? Whew! OK, it is what it is..

I don't want to share the music file on Facebook just the cover art and song I'm listening to like most streaming services allow. Guess it can't be done...

Thanks!

09-25-14 01:19 PM
    Share the music via Screenshot ;-) or just a quick YouTube search or let soundhound run....

When you play music it is taking that stream instead if the mic input......

You always learn (=

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:28 PM
    Thanks everyone.

Maybe I'll change my behavior and not delete anything from the Hub.

Louzer, thanks. So, Reminder defaults to 1 hr after my work start time from my calender. So if that's 8am and I want to remind myself about a dinner with friends at 7pm I have to do some quick math and set the reminder time for 8 hrs if I want 5 pm reminder? Whew! OK, it is what it is..

I don't want to share the music file on Facebook just the cover art and song I'm listening to like most streaming services allow. Guess it can't be done...

Thanks!

What OS are you running? Reminders don't display for me as hour offsets to the due date - they display like Warlack's screenshot above with actual times. I'm running Q10SQN100-4/10.2.1.3358.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    09-25-14 01:29 PM
    [QUOTE=jefbeard911;10887167]Re: Reminder app

Maybe it's fixed in 10.3, or I'm missing something as there is no place to select an exact time when your setting a task.

Jef,
    This is 10.3, looks like it's fixed.

I'm on the ledge and gonna jump (Back to Win Phone) - Help!-img_20140925_202941.png

Posted via zedten
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-25-14 01:32 PM
    Yeah Louzer. Problem solved if my Reminder looked like Warlacks.

I'm running 10.2.1.2977 on a STJ100-1. It's the latest on my phone.

09-25-14 01:35 PM
    Roger that Wilkto. Prob solved with 10.3

09-25-14 01:38 PM
    Ah, and Yes, the email is gone once erased from the Hub. When you access the email account by swiping left and selecting it individually, the email is not there either. A refresh doesn't do it.

I suppose I could unlink the account and we sync it, but that's dumb. A simple archived folder would solve the prob.

I think you can set forever as an option but that pulls EVERYTHING in.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:41 PM
    Just do it, doesn't look like things are going to get better. On a side note, if you do switch, let me know which WP you get as i'll likely head there on my next upgrade.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    09-25-14 01:42 PM
86 123 ...