...where do I stand in the long run?

If BlackBerry is making the shift to the "prosumer" (whatever that may entail) where do us regulars go?

Will they continue to sell to consumers in the long (and I mean long) run or will it only be exclusively an Enterprise and/or corporate device?
    09-26-13 12:52 PM
    Doubt they'll continue to exist as a manufacturer of phones as we know them today. I expect your current BlackBerry will be your last BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:58 PM
    Rofl... don't listen to this Benjamin guy... they will still make devices. 4 per year from what they've reported.

Posted via CB10
    Ecm and npunk42 like this.
    09-26-13 01:07 PM
    4 per year from what they've reported.
    Four devices PER YEAR? Source, please.
    09-26-13 01:14 PM
    09-26-13 01:50 PM
    "As part of the Company's focus on enhancing its financial results, and in response to the increasing competition in the smartphone market, BlackBerry also announced plans to transition its future smartphone portfolio from six devices to four. "

Where does it say four devices PER YEAR?
    09-26-13 01:52 PM
    When you read into it. You would assume 4 devices per year.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 02:08 PM
    When you read into it. You would assume 4 devices per year.

Posted via CB10
    You might. People grounded in reality would not. There are not going to be making four devices per year. Enjoy Fantasy Land.
    09-26-13 02:25 PM
    What does it mean to you then? Instead of being a condescending ***, we would like to know what you make of it.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 02:34 PM
    What does it mean to you then? Instead of being a condescending ***, we would like to know what you make of it.

Posted via CB10
    It means what it says, in plain English: Their lineup will include four phones at a time. Not per year.

Of course, that's their plan "as of the announcement". We will quickly see that change, I think, as due diligence progresses and they discover that the BB mobile phone business has little to no value and is scrapped. This statement was just to placate the sheeple, and is a standard PR tactic. Apparently, at least in the case of this thread, it worked.
    09-26-13 02:41 PM
    "As part of the Company's focus on enhancing its financial results, and in response to the increasing competition in the smartphone market, BlackBerry also announced plans to transition its future smartphone portfolio from six devices to four. "

Where does it say four devices PER YEAR?
    You know it does use the word "future". Just sayin'...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 02:41 PM
    ...where do I stand in the long run?

If BlackBerry is making the shift to the "prosumer" (whatever that may entail) where do us regulars go?

Will they continue to sell to consumers in the long (and I mean long) run or will it only be exclusively an Enterprise and/or corporate device?
    Who really knows? Everything we hear or read on the matter is primarily speculation. However, if we are to believe Fairfax, then it would seem that the focus will be on the prosumer, but consumers will still be able to get a BBRY phone if they want to. It wouldn't surprise me if BBRY outside North America remained consumer centric. To me that makes sense as the average North American consumer has shown indifference towards BBRY who simply cannot compete with iOS and Android in this market.
    09-26-13 02:47 PM
    You know it does use the word "future". Just sayin'...
    Yes, well it's hard to transition one's past portfolio without a time machine. Just sayin'...
    09-26-13 02:52 PM
    but consumers will still be able to get a BBRY phone if they want to.
    Source?
    09-26-13 02:52 PM
    It means what it says, in plain English: Their lineup will include four phones at a time. Not per year.
    That would implicitly mean 4 devices per fiscal year, since previous devices from previous years would not just suddenly vanish and the company is still in the business of trying to turn a profit.

Four devices at a "time", taken literally with no exact time frame in mind is extremely vague and it's not how these companies communicate. They are always speaking in quarters or fiscal years.
    09-26-13 03:29 PM
    A device lasts more than a year. There will not be 4 devices per year. At any one time, there will be four devices. As a device gets out of date, it will be replaced. But that timeframe is not one year. There will not be four devices per year.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 03:42 PM
    A device lasts more than a year. There will not be 4 devices per year. At any one time, there will be four devices. As a device gets out of date, it will be replaced. But that timeframe is not one year. There will not be four devices per year.

Posted via CB10
    Source please

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    09-26-13 03:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Source?
    09-26-13 04:00 PM
    Bahaha

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 04:05 PM
    History.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 04:33 PM
    BenJaming is a sour apple he's been on crackberry putting down BBRY and there moves for months. He is the definition of a troll, he spends his days on crackberry being a Debby downer raining on anyone's parade.

He doesn't know the future, he doesn't provide facts, he clearly states things he's read on the Internet as if they are all true.
    09-26-13 04:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 05:59 PM
    It will be interesting to see when new devices will be rolled out. Apple timed theirs to coincide with the timing of carrier contracts, but those seem to be a thing of the past. So what do they all do now?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 07:11 PM
    So they've said no more than four devices in the market at one time.

Then the statement from the proposed buyout says they'll be focusing on enterprise...

Then they say there will be no more BlackBerry 10 devices in its fiscal year, which ends in March (BlackBerry: No new BB10 devices till March - Pocket-lint).

Then T-Mobile makes the devices only available online, not in stores.

AT BEST, this all means that there will be no new BlackBerrys until March at the earliest, and that if you're on T-Mobile, you'll have to order online.

With the way things are going, and their "focus" on enterprise, I'd be willing to bet that it will be a long time before we ever see devices aimed at consumers.

I could see them launching one or two devices a year targeted at enterprise (a Q10/Z10 type thing, both high end), where a business would get a discount on buying a bunch, but us consumers have to buy directly through BlackBerry at full retail. That is the BEST CASE scenario I can think of, and I don't think that's too far fetched.

This would allow them to reel in their spending on R&D and spending on marketing (hahaha sorry..spending on marketing.. can't help but laugh). This would also let them fly under the radar if they want to get out of the consumer market, where they can basically be a non-competitor and not have to deal with tech blog reviews, because a review of a device that's not meant for public use would just be stupid. It would be more of like "We're still here. Businesses, government, we've got what you've always bought. And CrackBerry people, or anyone who wants the best onscreen or physical keyboard, you can have these devices too, it's just gonna cost you full retail, but please don't b1tch at us at a lack of 'fun' apps. These aren't for average users, so don't expect Netflix and Candy Crush."

Now that I typed all that, it really seems like BlackBerry should have gone that route a while back. I still would be buying their devices, because I still have no expectation or want to play games and watch stuff on my phones.
    09-26-13 07:22 PM
    I hope they continue to make keyboard devices at the very least..

Q10
    09-26-13 07:26 PM
28 12