I have supported the BB10 platform since launch day, getting my Z10 on day 2.

I have had next to zero problems with my Zed... but I think it's because of a few factors:

- I don't sideload apps. The ONE app I did sideload (torque) made the phone restart overnight... as soon as I deleted it the issue went away. I subsequently purchased Torque when it was released for the BB10 platform.

- I don't use social media... i.e twitter, fb, etc.

- I have ONE sync'd hotmail account set to check every 15 minutes

- I have a simple 2gb SD card that came with my Bold 9700... no crazy aftermarket SD card yet.

So... I've really had little reason to have any issues with my phone. I've watched everybody on this forum get upset about things from the original FB app to resets, poor battery life, poor signal quality, bricked phones, etc.

I've been sitting wondering whats going on while happily using my Zed. I even dropped it face down on ashphalt at Ikea in March and not a scratch on the screen or a crack... I got a case the next day but was happy that it survived such a blunt force impact. For months I've been talking to anybody that has asked about the Zed, BB10, the future of BB, their innovations and what a great phone this has been for me.

In May my boss got a Q10. He cannot figure out how to use it... (he's 65)... and he's always frustrated with it. Since day 1 it has pocket dialed on him like crazy - initially I thought he was just doing something wrong but I've physically had it happen to me with his phone. I make a call, then put the phone down on my desk and watch it dial another number 30 seconds later with NO help or touching of the screen.

Last week his Q10 went insane - if you called a number like "office" it showed the contact from his contacts book on screen, the number, photo... everything. It promptly dialed the wrong number. I tried 4-5 times to dial the "office" from his contact book and it dialed 5 different numbers but NOT the office, while showing "office" on screen.

The only fix to this was to delete all call history on the phone. The phone was fine until 5 days later when it did it again. He's on the latest OS on the Q10 and is ready to return the phone calling it the "biggest piece of crap I've ever used." I cannot blame him.

My sister got the Q10 at my urging on August 16th... excited to be back on BlackBerry and to have seen my happiness with mine she set it up and began to use it. On Friday (August 23rd) she was listening to songza while getting dressed and the music stopped... she went to the phone... it wouldn't respond. She went to turn it on - wouldn't respond. Bricked. 1 week old. No sideloads, nothing. Bricked.

Of course she hadn't ever plugged it into her laptop to do a LINK backup or anything but as she said to me "why would I? I wasn't even done setting the phone up and coming over from Android!" No phone should brick after a week of use.

She walked away from Blackberry 4 years ago and went to Android citing the flimsy OS that couldn't even surf the internet and lack of people on BBM to keep her there. She was TRULY excited to return to BB and I saw her face this weekend at camping - she's worried she made the wrong choice already.

My dad has been hinting at wanting a Q10 and after these experiences my sister and I agreed we don't feel comfortable recommending this phone to a 65 year old man who's finally comfortable with his Bold 9700 that's in IMMACULATE condition and still running a very solid OS5.

My faith in BB is wavering a bit, my recommendations are being with held... you simply CANNOT convert people to your platform with such simple but completely aggravating issues with your OS. I've told my sister to hold out for 10.2 and take delivery of her new Q10 from Telus this week and give it another try but I am at a loss as to what to say to my boss who's phone is 3 months old and clearly has some serious gremlins in it.

If this is the platform that they had planned to build a new reputation and a comeback on it's looking like they've set themselves up for failure with the non die-hards and super geeks who don't mind wiping phones etc. The SIMPLE user isn't going to stand for this kind of crap and I'm truly worried that BB is slowly hammering the nail into their coffin with this OS.

-Chris-
    08-26-13 12:00 PM
    I can agree with most. I don't think it's the OS that is killing them though but it has a part due to BBRY not putting out a more stable OS after 3+ years of working on it before releasing it. Is QNX just not meant for mobile or not capable of it or is it just BBRY who made it that way or did so the right things with it?
    08-26-13 12:06 PM
    I read and also hear of problems with android phone from friends and forums. I side load, use leaks, and screw around with this phone a ton.

The only issue u can relate to is the contacts thing and it passes me off like no other. I found that when I add a new contact it links it to a random contact already in my phone and therefore changed the name to my newly saved phone number. It is frustrating and I have to go through hoops to fix it with ever single new contact I add.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 12:07 PM
    You say you're happy with your Z10, thats all that matters. who cares what others think of it.
    I've loaded loads of apps and had no issues at all.
    I think for myself and make my own decisions, each to their own i guess.
    08-26-13 12:48 PM
    0 issues with my Z10 or Q10 I'm happy it's sad some have problems and I feel for them but I love my BB10 experience and can't wait to buy the Z30

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    08-26-13 12:53 PM
    i think there are issues with Z10,but the issue is app world and less of native functionality that qnx software needs
    08-26-13 01:02 PM
    You are going to see more complaints than praise at fansites like crackberry because people come here for help. The vast majority of z10 owners have no reason to join a forum and post complaints because they don't have any

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 01:08 PM
    You say you're happy with your Z10, thats all that matters. who cares what others think of it.
    I disagree. I have recommended these phones to people who have purchased them on my word the phone is rock solid (which mine is).

I am baffled by the issues they have had but these issues are REAL and that's my concern for Blackberry. I have watched with my own eyes two people who were converted to the BB10 platform have major issues it and quickly lose confidence in its stability to be the platform for them.

Neither of these people are on Crackberry, they are just regular phone users who bought the phone and are having some pretty serious and annoying issues by ZERO fault of their own.

That's the reason for this post. Concern for the platform based on REAL WORD data and feedback. If BlackBerry wants to keep moving forward issues like these CAN NOT exist if they wish to pick up market share. You can't sell a phone / platform on potential alone... the thing has to perform too and if it can't do something simple like dial the person in your contact list that it says it's dialing then how is it going to successfully achieve this?

Who cares what others think of it? I do because I TOLD them to make the investment and the switch to the platform and it's NOT acting like a stable platform. Within 3 months and 1 week respectively the phone has SINGLE HANDEDLY placed doubt in their minds and made them regret their purchase.

That's a concern to me considering I want this platform to succeed and believe in its potential.

-Chris-
    08-26-13 01:20 PM
    can't say I have had any issues with my z10 from rogers. very happy with it! I came from having the iphone for 6 years and a few different models of it. personally I think BB10 is a far superior OS. Sorry to hear that people you know are having problems, I don't think it's the norm though. Sometimes I wonder if it's more carrier related then anything else. Not sure how that could be but have noticed more people have problems on telus then other carriers...
    08-26-13 01:20 PM
    To the OP, while I haven't had any problems with my Z (and I use it for just about everything with many apps sideloaded) I can appreciate that others do. However, the situation is not unique to BBRY. Some people on other platforms have had to return their phones for one reason or another. So while I am sympathetic to the situations you mentioned, let's keep things in perspective. I really hope the individuals get a phone that is free of problems so they too can enjoy the BlackBerry experience.

Posted via CB10, Rocking the Z10
    08-26-13 01:30 PM
    can't say I have had any issues with my z10 from rogers. very happy with it! I came from having the iphone for 6 years and a few different models of it. personally I think BB10 is a far superior OS. Sorry to hear that people you know are having problems, I don't think it's the norm though. Sometimes I wonder if it's more carrier related then anything else. Not sure how that could be but have noticed more people have problems on telus then other carriers...
    My boss is on Rogers and my sister is on Telus. Both are on the Q10.

I've honestly started to wonder if it's the Q10 because I haven't had mine randomly dial people or dial the wrong number other than whats displayed on screen. I also haven't had my phone come close to bricking.

I understand that I'm on a Blackberry forum stating that I am concerned about continuing my recommendation of the platform - but please don't try to just be blind supporters and see what I am saying here. I'm concerned that the kinks will not be ironed out in time to make this thing successful... little problems like these are all it takes for newly converted people to start feeling like they made a mistake.

This isn't carrier related, and it's not hardware... something is up with the software. There's no reason to put a phone on your desk, stare at it for 30 seconds and then watch it suddenly dial somebody. There's no reason to dial your Girlfriend and get your doctor on the phone even though it clearly says your girlfriend is on the line.

The Bricked phone may be a fluke but she's already worried. I convinced my sister to take the new phone that Telus is going to give her and give it another try.... but I was stunned when she called me to tell me it had bricked while listening to Songza.

BB needs to iron out QNX and the platform quickly, not everybody is equipped or prepared to put up with such issues with their phones. At present I cannot keep recommending it to non power-users.

I love my Z10 and have had NO problems with it... neither has another friend I got onto the Z10... I'm really and truly wondering if this is a Q10 thing.

-Chris-
    08-26-13 01:32 PM
    put 10.2 ASAP on your sisters Q10 replacement
    08-26-13 01:36 PM
    To the OP, while I haven't had any problems with my Z. I can appreciate that others do. However, the situation is not unique to BBRY. Some people on other platforms have had to return their phones for one reason or another. So while I am sympathetic to the situations you mentioned, let's keep things in perspective. I really hope the individuals get a phone that is free of problems do they too can enjoy the BlackBerry experience.

Posted via CB10, Rocking the Z10

My sister is starting over with a new phone so I'm hopeful she was just unlucky. Her phone was only a week old so getting a brand new one wasn't a big deal other than the inconvenience.

But my boss - that's another issue. He's 3 months in and will lose the phone for a few weeks which isn't something he experienced on his old blackberry which was rock solid. When they told him to "wipe the phone" he looked at them like they told him to find the square root of 40135210101. He barely can dial with the phone and text, asking him to know how to wipe a phone etc. is far too much.

All he does with the phone is call people, take calls and text a few friends. It has no apps, nothing... he only uses data over the office WIFI (because I hooked it up for updates.) Now he has to wipe a phone due to some software glitches that shouldn't be there? He's 65... would you ask your grandpa to wipe his cell phone, reinstall the OS and then restore it? (Honest question.)

All I'm saying is that if these are the issues that are befalling simple users I can see why people are returning the phone and walking away. The phone needs to just "work". Blackberry doesn't have a large enough customer base to work the kinks out and lose some people while doing it... this platform needs to succeed quite quickly and issues as stated above aren't going to do that for them.

I hope they get everything ironed out by the time 10.2 comes out.... I really do.

In the meantime I'll keep enjoying my Zed!

-Chris-
    08-26-13 01:37 PM
    put 10.2 ASAP on your sisters Q10 replacement
    I haven't even done that with my Zed... is it stable enough to drop on her Q without having to worry she's going to run into odd issues that leaks tend to bring to the table?

I think her new phone shows up tomorrow in the mail...

-Chris-
    08-26-13 01:39 PM
    Both are Telus users. Both are on the Q10.

I've honestly started to wonder if it's the Q10 because I haven't had mine randomly dial people or dial the wrong number other than whats displayed on screen. I also haven't had my phone come close to bricking.

I understand that I'm on a Blackberry forum stating that I am concerned about continuing my recommendation of the platform - but please don't try to just be blind supporters and see what I am saying here. I'm concerned that the kinks will not be ironed out in time to make this thing successful... little problems like these are all it takes for newly converted people to start feeling like they made a mistake.

This isn't carrier related, and it's not hardware... something is up with the software. There's no reason to put a phone on your desk, stare at it for 30 seconds and then watch it suddenly dial somebody. There's no reason to dial your Girlfriend and get your doctor on the phone even though it clearly says your girlfriend is on the line.

The Bricked phone may be a fluke but she's already worried. I convinced my sister to take the new phone that Telus is going to give her and give it another try.... but I was stunned when she called me to tell me it had bricked while listening to Songza.

BB needs to iron out QNX and the platform quickly, not everybody is equipped or prepared to put up with such issues with their phones. At present I cannot keep recommending it to non power-users.

I love my Z10 and have had NO problems with it... neither has another friend I got onto the Z10... I'm really and truly wondering if this is a Q10 thing.

-Chris-
    That could also be a hardware issue. It's hard to tell which. If many of the issues are more hardware than software then again it doesn't speak well of BBRY either way. The good thing with both is you should be able to weed out the problems and replace the faulty hardware, if that is the issue, with one that has been tested for the issues or you can supply an update that fixes the issue.

Hopefully before months pass by.
    In May my boss got a Q10. He cannot figure out how to use it... (he's 65)... and he's always frustrated with it. Since day 1 it has pocket dialed on him like crazy - initially I thought he was just doing something wrong but I've physically had it happen to me with his phone. I make a call, then put the phone down on my desk and watch it dial another number 30 seconds later with NO help or touching of the screen.

Last week his Q10 went insane - if you called a number like "office" it showed the contact from his contacts book on screen, the number, photo... everything. It promptly dialed the wrong number. I tried 4-5 times to dial the "office" from his contact book and it dialed 5 different numbers but NOT the office, while showing "office" on screen.

The only fix to this was to delete all call history on the phone. The phone was fine until 5 days later when it did it again. He's on the latest OS on the Q10 and is ready to return the phone calling it the "biggest piece of crap I've ever used." I cannot blame him.

-Chris-
    I think that this is a hardware problem, rather than an OS problem. I'm going on the assumption that the Q10 has a digitizer in it (I haven't looked at a tear-down to verify). This sounds like the behavior that you see in touchscreen phones when the digitizer goes bad. Digitizers can usually be replaced, but I don't know about the Q10 specifically. It's not cheap if it's done at a repair shop, though.
    I bought my z10 the second day it was out on T-Mobile. I have not had any significant problems with it.

I have sideloaded apps, download a ton of apps and had no problems. I really don't know why people have issues. My wife's q10 is solid too.

I think it is just random issues with a new OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 01:41 PM
    So u don't care wht problems could other people have? Why posting something here then...? u should worry because you are in the same environment. BlackBerry needs that; everyone of us should be worried because of the lack of everything as a company.
    08-26-13 01:44 PM
    That could also be a hardware issue. It's hard to tell which. If many of the issues are more hardware than software then again it doesn't speak well of BBRY either way. The good thing with both is you should be able to weed out the problems and replace the faulty hardware, if that is the issue, with one that has been tested for the issues or you can supply an update that fixes the issue.

Hopefully before months pass by.
    That's the issue with the bosses phone... he's 3 months in so they won't just hand him a new phone now they want to take it in for a few weeks which he's balking at. He's willing to go back to his old BB but he told them he wants a GUARANTEE that these issues will be dealt with and of course Rogers cannot give him that guarantee. Meanwhile his daughters are jabbering at him that their iPhones work just fine and he should just ditch the Q for one because they "just work".

You see the point I'm getting at...

I'm really really hoping that he sends it in and they simply give him a new one. I've already backed his phone up onto my Mac here at work...

-Chris-
    08-26-13 01:48 PM
    That's the issue with the bosses phone... he's 3 months in so they won't just hand him a new phone now they want to take it in for a few weeks which he's balking at. He's willing to go back to his old BB but he told them he wants a GUARANTEE that these issues will be dealt with and of course Rogers cannot give him that guarantee. Meanwhile his daughters are jabbering at him that their iPhones work just fine and he should just ditch the Q for one because they "just work".

I'm really really hoping that he sends it in and they simply give him a new one. I've already backed his phone up onto my Mac here at work...

-Chris-
    Yep. I think anyone should be willing to give a replacement or repaired one a chance.
    08-26-13 01:53 PM
    My boss is on Rogers and my sister is on Telus. Both are on the Q10.

-Chris-
    Totally get where you are coming from Chris. Can't say I'm a blind supporter of BB, there are definite issue that they need to work. Just hard to validate your problems when I or others that I know haven't had them. but like another poster said, every software has it's problems and this is new... for some people jumping onto a completely new platform isn't the best thing until it's got the kinks worked out. some just don't have the patience and that's ok. Hope they stick with it though....
    08-26-13 01:56 PM
    Are android phones problem free?

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 01:56 PM
    Are android phones problem free?

Posted via CB10
    No phone is problem free... with technology anything can go wrong.

It's a big deal to decide on switching platforms only to have the phone act up on you for no reason or completely conk out.

My sisters only complaint with Android was how much it slowed down over the years as she used it. It was a snail by the time she retired it and she wanted something with more power and potential... and she wanted BBM back. When she saw me stream music to my phone from my computer from 30 miles away she lost her mind... haha.

Nobody is perfect, and neither is technology... but the basics of a "phone" need to work. Dial a number and it calls that number. Put it on the table and it doesn't just randomly dial somebody. All he uses his Q10 for is a PHONE that can text a few people.... that's it. And it's FAILING at that.

Aren't those the basics?

He was impressed how well it integrated with his new Lexus, though. No setup needed and the phone book was on the screen on the car the first time he took delivery of the vehicle. When the BB works... it works well and in surprising ways. But it needs to do the basics perfectly - turn on, turn off, dial numbers, store contacts and have great call quality. It hasn't been able to consistently do that for him... and I'm worried that the same will happen if I put a Q10 in the hands of my own 65 year old father who isn't technology savvy...

-Chris-
    08-26-13 02:06 PM
    I'll tell you a story. My wife started down the Apple road pretty hard core for a while. She had the 3rd gen iPod touch and pretty much gone ones of different storage size for each of the family but we had to return one because of a dead zone in the touch screen.

She had the iPhone 4 for a while. It also got returned - twice! Once for a bricked camera app or hardware issue with the camera and the second time cuz of an issue with the screen again.

No device is perfect. I have been hearing more and more about bricked BB10 phones and I think its either a quality control issue or hardware problem. Thankfully BB has a great 1 year manufacturer warranty for issues just like that! It shouldn't be the end user who sees this side of technology but thats the cost of mass production - you get a few bad eggs.

I hope BBRY can regain your trust again.
    08-26-13 03:06 PM

Honestly, your boss is probably better off with his old Bold or an iPhone. They just work.
    Same goes for your dad.
    It's a lot easier to stick with something you know, when you're that age. Or something that's just really intuitive and friendly to use, like an iPhone.
    (And if BBRY gets sold, and BB10 dumped, they'll really be grateful for your recommendations. I really wouldn't recommend a BB10 phone to anybody, until BBRYs future gets clarified, and they don't have the "For Sale" sign up anymore.)

What you're describing here is twofold.

1: Quality control problems. BBRY gets their phones build by Quantas and Foxconn these days. That means they're just one of many customers, and one of their smaller ones at that. Naturally QC and how its dealt with with Blackberries today won't be whatnot used to be. It is what it is: Average. Worse than Apple or HTC, probably Nokia too, but better than LG, Huawei and Acer.

2. The second problem you're describing is with BB10, and its a typical 1.0 product problem. BBOS is a new OS and it'll take years to get to where iOS (and in some respects Android) is these days. The good news? It will get better. The bad? It won't be much better in 10.2 or 10.3 or 10.4. It's a long, uphill climb that'll take a couple of years, but in every update the bugs will be fewer.
    Acidwire and mset like this.
    08-26-13 03:34 PM
66 123