Security updates.

Microsoft develops new features for first 5 years, then goes into security updates for 5 years for 10 year cycle. They don't sell Windows 7 any more, but still providing security updates for a few more years.

Same thing with BBOS, except for exact years being different.

Actually, looks like July 2014.
    Software Support Life Cycle - Canada

I didn't hear about this, I last heard:

BlackBerry 7 OS to remain supported for nearly two more years
    Dated Jan 2, 2014.

Officially, "BlackBerry Technical Support will continue to support our software on a best-effort basis." That probably means how severe the security issue is.

Posted via CB10

Given the chronological order of those two documents, I'd say that security updates for BBOS 7 are over. It's weird though. The support lifecycle document distinguishes between 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2, but then it's not clear with the older OSes. Does EOL for OS 7.0 also apply to 7.1?

It seems to me that July 2014 was a VERY short support cycle for devices they re-released in their online store in 2014. As I noted somewhere above, the FREAK vulnerability was a serious issue, and they didn't address that. So it doesn't appear that they're still supporting 7.1.

I have to say that I don't trust ANY phone maker to offer a predictable support cycle in terms of time from purchase/general availability to EOL. Apple was once predictable, but then started using old phones as their low end, and the EOL will be much closer to the purchase date on those models. BlackBerry support of OS 10 has been excellent (we're on our third year of updates!), but I have no clue when it will end, and from a consumer standpoint, that's not a great thing. Of course, it's hard to expect predictability from a company in financial distress and turnaround mode.
    08-23-15 12:52 PM
    Good luck with your android venture and wish you luck in finding a phone that lasts up to 8 hrs lol. Posted via CB10
    Like most statements about android, the diversity of the available handsets and builds renders this one inaccurate. The Sony Xperia Z3 compact and Blu Studio Energy both have incredible battery life.... and those are only the ones I know about.
    08-23-15 12:54 PM
    I still you're all wrong, and these rumors are driven by a naivet� about the underlying OS. What wouldn't surprise me is that, rather than an Android BlackBerry with a BB10 skin, Venice is a BB10 with Android functionality, thus achieving both goals: a device that uses conventions with which more people are familiar, but protected by legendary BlackBerry security features that no one, even strategic partner Samsung, can duplicate.

But all of this, including my viewpoint, is pure speculation, since BlackBerry seems quite willing to hold its cards close to chest.
    08-23-15 08:32 PM
    I still you're all wrong, and these rumors are driven by a naivet� about the underlying OS. What wouldn't surprise me is that, rather than an Android BlackBerry with a BB10 skin, Venice is a BB10 with Android functionality, thus achieving both goals: a device that uses conventions with which more people are familiar, but protected by legendary BlackBerry security features that no one, even strategic partner Samsung, can duplicate.

But all of this, including my viewpoint, is pure speculation, since BlackBerry seems quite willing to hold its cards close to chest.
    BlackBerry, even seemingly under Chen, is always more than willing to shoot themselves in the foot.

BlackBerry is going to say nothing until they release the probably-Android phone. Then that will fail because, news flash, a BlackBerry with Android, no body will care. No one. They will stick with their Samsung with Android that carrier reps push like it's the cure for cancer and impotence. Not to mention, BlackBerry won't advertise this phone worth crap, they will just assume Android makes BlackBerry sell itself. Lol

Game over. No more handsets, and early adopters of BlackBerry Android (not to mention BlackBerry 10 users) are screwed once again. It will stay at Lollipop and therefore become very unsecured.

Perhaps software and services only will live on, perhaps eventually it too will be torn apart for patents and be sold like many have suggested.

I almost can't believe I've joined the doom and gloom crowd, but the silence of Clewely on Twitter and Bluenoser helped wake me out of my denial.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-26-15 11:17 PM
    Every phone manufacturer has its "thing"; its Unique Selling Point. Blackberry have theirs, and they haven't moved from it. Never will. They are resolutely business, with the security and productivity that comes with that.

They make phones for bosses and workers. Not people. So a long time ago, people realised the worker phone like the Curve series, was cheap to buy and run.

Kids, students, and all those on a tight budget wanted these phones and the miracle of free messaging on BBM. There was a edge to the phones over Nokia.

This demographic and the nature of what else was out there sold a ton of Berries.

Then someone realised that if you made phones for people rather than workers, it might catch on. Phones for enjoyment as well as communication, but of a personal nature. Combine this with the rise of contracts and it was game over then.

Blackberry was aspirational because it was the boss's phone. Now people can aspire to whatever lifestyle an OEM chooses to attach to their phone at a lovely low monthly rate. People can also guzzle content to their hearts desire. Blackberry never went that route. Show me a Blackberry aimed at people or consumers. I mean actually targeting that specifically.

The pink curve. Since then? None. Workers and bosses. Business. Ok, they are people too...but 90% of Berry users I still see have it as a work phone, by choice or given. BlackBerry didn't lose the consumer race, they were never in it. The Android Slider won't be a personal or consumer phone either. It will be an Android For Business. It will be marketed on its security etc...not on how people not at work might use it.

Simply put, most people want a phone that lets them remember that they are more than an employee. Blackberry phones don't. End of.

Posted via CB10
    Joshu42 likes this.
    08-27-15 12:09 AM
    The future is bright for BB10. Before you believe to all these rumors, kindly read this article:

http://berryflow.com/2015/06/the-fut...on-blackberry/

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 10:58 AM
    Who fed BB the silly notion that Apps are not a business oriented feature?

That's one of the biggest reason of their declining market share.

Now they realize even business pros need apps, but it's too late to spend the money do they're throwing in the towel and going to bed with Android.
    08-27-15 11:06 AM
    The future is bright for BB10. Before you believe to all these rumors, kindly read this article:

http://berryflow.com/2015/06/the-fut...on-blackberry/

Posted via CB10
    Give me one good reason that this article you keep linking isn't complete speculation?

08-27-15 01:12 PM
    Give me one good reason that this article you keep linking isn't complete speculation?

Ha ha all you've predicted from your point of view is pure speculation. Non of it has come to fruition yet so I guess we will have to wait an see won't we.

Posted via CB10
    Joshu42 likes this.
    08-27-15 04:23 PM
    Ha ha all you've predicted from your point of view is pure speculation. Non of it has come to fruition yet so I guess we will have to wait an see won't we.

Posted via CB10
    I will admit openly I have speculated a great deal, specifically in regards to them shortly EOLing their Android offering (whatever that manifests as) very quickly after it launches to no ovation.

But, I am not speculating on this. I am crafting a theory based on evidence, or lack thereof rather, that BlackBerry is doing anything at all for BlackBerry 10 in terms of development. To once again quote my inspirer, if you don't believe me and think I'm wrong, then show me the QT5 development status for BlackBerry 10 changing to supported/active. Show me where developers are getting access to new upcoming SDKs. And show me where the BlackBerry development road map or at least developer discussion is. (Don't waste your time, it's a dead end.)

I don't get why so many trivialize things like QT5 being cut off for BlackBerry 10. Don't you folks realize that's like taking away the meat supply to a Brazilian Steakhouse?

The article I accused of speculation, on the other hand, is almost a sermon on how BlackBerry MIGHT utilize Android while citing no sources other than twisting and interpreting things. Therefore, speculating.

Batibreaker likes this.
    08-28-15 03:09 AM
    I will admit openly I have speculated a great deal, specifically in regards to them shortly EOLing their Android offering (whatever that manifests as) very quickly after it launches to no ovation.

But, I am not speculating on this. I am crafting a theory based on evidence, or lack thereof rather, that BlackBerry is doing anything at all for BlackBerry 10 in terms of development.

Dude making up a theory is the same thing as speculating lmao!! I think your just a doom and gloom type of troll

Posted via CB10
    Joshu42 and Dave Bourque like this.
    08-28-15 07:38 AM

But, I am not speculating on this. I am crafting a theory based on evidence, or lack thereof rather, that BlackBerry is doing anything at all for BlackBerry 10 in terms of development. To once again quote my inspirer, if you don't believe me and think I'm wrong, then show me the QT5 development status for BlackBerry 10 changing to supported/active. Show me where developers are getting access to new upcoming SDKs. And show me where the BlackBerry development road map or at least developer discussion is. (Don't waste your time, it's a dead end.)

I don't get why so many trivialize things like QT5 being cut off for BlackBerry 10. Don't you folks realize that's like taking away the meat supply to a Brazilian Steakhouse?

The article I accused of speculation, on the other hand, is almost a sermon on how BlackBerry MIGHT utilize Android while citing no sources other than twisting and interpreting things. Therefore, speculating.

Couldn't agree more, I got banned from the beta zone group, had been giving input, helping for free, but now deactivated for giving my opinion on what a joke that group really is. Releases that apparently are full of fixes, whereas they're rather minor security patches. The company is a joke!

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 09:25 AM
    Couldn't agree more, I got banned from the beta zone group, had been giving input, helping for free, but now deactivated for giving my opinion on what a joke that group really is. Releases that apparently are full of fixes, whereas they're rather minor security patches. The company is a joke!

Posted via CB10
    Sure would like to hear the other side of this story!
    Toodeurep likes this.
    08-28-15 01:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol. You got banned? Good.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-28-15 01:32 PM
    Heh, I've already explained my motive and rationale like three times now. Besides, you think I really want attention from a sarcastic (and hypocritical) pillock like you with nothing better to do than hijack threads and think you're actually making more of a contribution to the forums by what you do?

It is simple, the "denial" you claim to be in is the same denial you are in when you stated you didn't start the thread to get attention. You can break the rules of CB and insult other members all you want, but you DID start this thread to get attention, plain and simple. I know this because I often have similar concerns, as do many other members here, and like most of those people, we don't need to start threads to state the obvious. I can read it in your signature and in the sarcastic statements you made in your OP. It's not hard.

Have you ever thought of trying your hand at writing for CrackBerry?
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-28-15 05:07 PM
    Not to worry. A few recent photo's on the internet show a Passport with a "switch to Android" button,
    suggesting that at least some new Blackberry's will be dual boot phones.

Switch to Android? - MondoBlackberry.com

These may be out as early as this fall sometime, so if you can, I would hang on. Blackberry isn't going away.
    08-28-15 08:42 PM
    Not to worry. A few recent photo's on the internet show a Passport with a "switch to Android" button,
    suggesting that at least some new Blackberry's will be dual boot phones.

Switch to Android? - MondoBlackberry.com

These may be out as early as this fall sometime, so if you can, I would hang on. Blackberry isn't going away.
    I'd say it's a fake. The spacing between the Switch to Android button and the other buttons is off.
    08-28-15 11:24 PM
    It's nice to see that John Chen used his appearance at a public form, today, to vigorously demonstrate his commitment to BlackBerry 10 and put to rest all of the Android rumors - not.
    08-28-15 11:52 PM
    Do you have any idea how strange it is to end every sentence with an exclamation point?

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 12:00 AM
    Do you have any idea how strange it is to end every sentence with an exclamation point?

Posted via CB10
    You should quote the person you are talking to. Then they know you are talking to them.
    bungaboy and JCyinzer like this.
    08-29-15 03:26 AM
    First of all, I am an avid BlackBerry fan, of which I currently have a Z10 using with Wi-Fi through my Home! I also have a Samsung Note 4 for my main Phone throughout the day while I work out in the field! I haven't jumped ship yet, I still look through the CB Forums when I wake up, and when I get ready to go to sleep! I've loaded Google Patched Apps, and Files on it thanks to the Cobalt threads, and stickies in the Forum of which most Google Play services type Apps work on BB10! I still can't wait to see what BlackBerry has up it's sleeve next! I'm sure that there are quite a few other BlackBerry users with other Phones as well. Lets face it there's really no loyalty when it comes to using products these days, company's will sell out their customers info to make a buck! And you shouldn't be crucified from the forum for giving your honest valued opinion! This forum should be more helpful to people that use it, and less critical! I've never seen such crass remarks lately from this forum!

Posted via CB10
    This guy

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 07:54 AM
    It's nice to see that John Chen used his appearance at a public form, today, to vigorously demonstrate his commitment to BlackBerry 10 and put to rest all of the Android rumors - not.
    What he is saying and what is coming about slider are completely different.
    08-29-15 08:09 AM
    It is simple, the "denial" you claim to be in is the same denial you are in when you stated you didn't start the thread to get attention. You can break the rules of CB and insult other members all you want, but you DID start this thread to get attention, plain and simple. I know this because I often have similar concerns, as do many other members here, and like most of those people, we don't need to start threads to state the obvious. I can read it in your signature and in the sarcastic statements you made in your OP. It's not hard.

Have you ever thought of trying your hand at writing for CrackBerry?
    I've written for CB a while back.

And you're free to believe what you want to about me. The last thing I wanted was attention from users. Especially condescending ones such as yourself.

--STV posting from his now-legacy, relic Z30
    08-30-15 09:31 PM
    Dude making up a theory is the same thing as speculating lmao!! I think your just a doom and gloom type of troll

Posted via CB10
    The same to you sir - think what you will about me.

Though in your case, you clearly don't know what the difference is between speculation and a theory. I will give you a big hint - one requires sources to be cited and the other does not.

--STV posting from his now-legacy, relic Z30
    08-30-15 09:33 PM
    Fine, he may not know for certain, but I started believing him when I woke up from denial and realized there's like no more leaks or dev support discussions. I can see no viable or at all half logical reason that would happen to a platform still being developed for.

So draw your own conclusions...

If anything, even if totally wrong, BlackBerry should have learned their darn lesson by now that silence and uncertainty hurts them even more. I don't want to see another report on a Chen interview unless new answers are provided.

+10000

Chen's only ability is to speak for ever without saying ANYthing

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 11:46 PM
151 ... 34567