I got a word that is true Dev elites got 10.3.3, what I don't understand is why BlackBerry keep it secret?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Ask the elite devs that.

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-21-15 02:40 PM
    I can't wait until Bluenoser comes into this thread and sheds the light on all the dead ends that indicate BlackBerry 10 is on life support.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-21-15 02:45 PM
    BlackBerry itself. After three years of road map for new features of BlackBerry 10, they stopped providing a road map for developers. If they added something to the road map this month, it will be 6-9 months before anything is released. That means the platform will be stagnate for almost 18 months which you cannot do in the fast moving software world. They have also posted that developers should supporting other platforms. They officially stopped supporting Qt5 for the BlackBerry 10 platform but are supporting it for QNX. You can't move BlackBerry 10 platform forward when a major component of isn't being supported. They also laid off the developers of the UX for BlackBerry 10. You can also see in the jobs that they are offering, nothing to do with BB10, everything to do with QNX. In the IT world, once this happens, it is end of the line for development of the platform.
    This guy is like a prophet...

But seriously, lol, I started listening to his words of wisdom when I finally realized he's actually summarizing what BlackBerry has done, or not done, on their own. Then, he's combining that with technical common sense and knowledge of the IT world.

Someone, anyone, prove him wrong. Show us the link that talks about more BlackBerry 10 development. You won't find it.

idhbar and Batibreaker like this.
    08-21-15 02:55 PM
    I wasn't speaking solely about myself. I was talking about all who voice their opinions on this forum.

But, fair enough. You are probably right. I don't dispute that. All I said was, we are their last core consumer base.

If you think that CB embodies a significant portion of BlackBerry users you are fooling your self. I know several hundred active users, none of whom have ever heard of CB.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    08-21-15 03:42 PM
    This guy is like a prophet...

But seriously, lol, I started listening to his words of wisdom when I finally realized he's actually summarizing what BlackBerry has done, or not done, on their own. Then, he's combining that with technical common sense and knowledge of the IT world.

Someone, anyone, prove him wrong. Show us the link that talks about more BlackBerry 10 development. You won't find it.

So lack of proof is his proof; ok, cool story...

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    08-21-15 07:24 PM
    I'm feeling it as well, even with the Google play stuff it's been a nuisance as of late

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 11:39 PM
    So lack of proof is his proof; ok, cool story...

Posted via CB10
    You clearly don't understand how development works. Lack of roadmap and information means no development.

Batibreaker likes this.
    08-22-15 04:28 AM
    Agree 10 going no where, lost focus.. make OS to increase hardware sales...or opposite.
    What the strategy? Don't hide under security things. Or change to be hand phone security application. Then no need to worries about OS and hardware.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 04:46 AM
    You clearly don't understand how development works. Lack of roadmap and information means no development.
    Nope, it may mean "Stopped development". Did you recall seeing 10.3.2 and its new features on the roadmap ? Me neither. Still, it's here.

I really think that software will be the dominant market for BlackBerry and they won't let go of BB10. It will be still the OS used for the "Professional" phone. That said, why not do an Android phone for the consumer market ? That doesn't mean that one ship is abandoned for another...

I'm really bored to find more and more thread on this subject. Just use your phone as you did 2 months ago ; still works no ? I still see myself with my Q10 one year from now. Be patient, stop speculating, wait for official information. Why surfing on rumors ? For the thrill of it ? Really ?
    08-22-15 04:47 AM

Having been a software developer for 30 years I do understand. I've been developing for BlackBerry longer than they, or anyone else, had an app store front. There were no road maps then either. API updates came when the development tools were released. Right now BlackBerry is in a chicken vs egg situation with BB10. Add new features to the OS API for who to use? Developers have been fleeing the platform for months now, according to what I read here. If you read the BlackBerry support forums for developers, or the BlackBerry tag on Stack Overflow it is quickly clear that the vast majority of developers aren't using the native API, and haven't learned to use what is there. There is now a Stack Overflow application in BlackBerry World that let's you ask questions and read the answers, but not post answers. Ironic that a BlackBerry developer didn't provide the ability for BlackBerry users to answer questions about BlackBerry development on an important developer support site.

And who are we to develop for. BlackBerry consumer application users have, in my opinion, unreasonable expectations of developers and application features. I write applications focused on very specific user communities. The ones I put on BlackBerry World are all free. But users who don't understand what the application is for will happily give you a bad review because it doesn't do what they want. The fact it does exactly what the description says seems immaterial. On the BBM Channel I started I spend more time cancelling flagged comments that have no reason to be flagged. Other Channels operators have complained about the same thing. What is that about?

I noticed these things and curtailed my development for public applications long before the whole BB10 is dead fracas started. Even at its largest BlackBerry was a comparatively small company. They are focused on software and services now because if they don't they will be gone and there won't be any hardware for BB10 to run on anyway.

As a developer I would love to have more features I could use or access. But I also know my customers. My customers who pay me don't need anything else right now, so the current state of the OS is fine. Most are still using BBOS. Corporate users don't like rapid change at the best of times. I'm still trying to decide if consumer users deserve me to invest my time in free applications. It doesn't look like they would pay enough for me to give up my day job.

rayporsche likes this.
    08-22-15 09:51 AM
    Finger trouble.
    08-22-15 09:53 AM
    I will say, I don't feel that Chen woke up one day and said, "I'm going to make X amount of employees, unemployed over the next year..." More than likely BlackBerry aren't going anywhere.

Now, having said that:
    - Should they offer more to the consumer? Most certainly.
    - Is Android that answer? I have no idea...
    - Will everything be a little clearer by November? More than likely.
    Richard Buckley and gvs1341 like this.
    08-22-15 10:21 AM
    Having been a software developer for 30 years I do understand. I've been developing for BlackBerry longer than they, or anyone else, had an app store front. There were no road maps then either. API updates came when the development tools were released. Right now BlackBerry is in a chicken vs egg situation with BB10. Add new features to the OS API for who to use? Developers have been fleeing the platform for months now, according to what I read here. If you read the BlackBerry support forums for developers, or the BlackBerry tag on Stack Overflow it is quickly clear that the vast majority of developers aren't using the native API, and haven't learned to use what is there. There is now a Stack Overflow application in BlackBerry World that let's you ask questions and read the answers, but not post answers. Ironic that a BlackBerry developer didn't provide the ability for BlackBerry users to answer questions about BlackBerry development on an important developer support site.

And who are we to develop for. BlackBerry consumer application users have, in my opinion, unreasonable expectations of developers and application features. I write applications focused on very specific user communities. The ones I put on BlackBerry World are all free. But users who don't understand what the application is for will happily give you a bad review because it doesn't do what they want. The fact it does exactly what the description says seems immaterial. On the BBM Channel I started I spend more time cancelling flagged comments that have no reason to be flagged. Other Channels operators have complained about the same thing. What is that about?

As a developer I would love to have more features I could use or access. But I also know my customers. My customers who pay me don't need anything else right now, so the current state of the OS is fine. Most are still using BBOS. Corporate users don't like rapid change at the best of times. I'm still trying to decide if consumer users deserve me to invest my time in free applications. It doesn't look like they would pay enough for me to give up my day job.

Looks to me like BlackBerry consumers themselves probably the hardcore ones are killing BB themselves. Same people who witch & whine about BlackBerry going Android. They deserve this.
    08-22-15 10:26 AM
    Confused with that users last comment. There are some BlackBerry users that don't want to use Android; period!

For me personally, Android is okay, but sometimes I think there are just too many options or settings to choose from. That's MY opinion.
    extisis likes this.
    08-22-15 11:05 AM
    Looks to me like BlackBerry consumers themselves probably the hardcore ones are killing BB themselves. Same people who witch & whine about BlackBerry going Android. They deserve this.
    As people keep saying, corporate users are consumers too. I know a lot of them who are BlackBerry users for their personal phone, if they don't carry a corporate unit. They appreciate what BlackBerry provides as distinct from other suppliers. Most have fewer than 5 applications from an application store front, but quite a few developed by their in-house IT department or contractors.

The first BlackBerry application I released publicly was a real time audio analysis tool for BBOS. The are still audio engineers using it to calibrate audio systems in auditoriums.

I enjoy coding for BBOS. I enjoy coding for BB10 even more. I don't mind providing programs I write for enjoyment to others free of charge for them to use if they find them useful. I don't even mind taking bug reports and feature requests. I provide a support email address for those purposes. Many developers who charge for their applications don't even do that. But most BlackBerry consumer users will post bug reports as a review. The only thing I can do with those is let them stand, poisoning my ranking, or ask for them to be deleted. There is never enough information to isolate and correct the bug.

But this is all the vocal minority as you say. CB and her sister sites, the minority of users who ever post a review or contact the developer. Those people who want a BlackBerry that works like an Android or iPhone. Frankly I don't understand them. But to each their own. I do understand why developers aren't coding for the consumer space. If you are going to develop for a rabble, you are better off developing for a big rabble that doesn't care if you have to do sketchy stuff ti get paid as long as they get SnapChat for free.

Maybe BlackBerry is going to produce an Android powered slider like one would throw away the heel of a sandwich to a flock of seagulls. A distraction to get them out of the BB10 space so those that know the value of BB10 goes beyond the "BlackBerry Experience" can enjoy it in peace.

clickitykeys and rayporsche like this.
    08-22-15 11:19 AM
    The fact is BlackBerry has been using the road map convention for BB10 OS and it seems very unlikely to me that they would decide to just stop...unless...they've decided to stop if you know what I mean.

And stop using the minor updates as counter-examples. No new features that required actual development or significant changes were present. They are simply patches at this point, basically, which Bluenoser nor myself are suggesting will stop.

So once again, bolstering BlackBerry Protect and adding device support doesn't count as a true development update. No roadmap needed.

Batibreaker likes this.
    08-22-15 12:03 PM

You clearly don't understand how development works. It's been stated numerous times that people with NDA's have seen a roadmap. BlackBerry will share it with their strategic partners.

Roadmaps are company trade secrets. BlackBerry features have been getting absorbed by Apple. Apple has many former BB employees. Chen has locked down leaks, and it would make sense that tipping the hat of future development would be similarly locked down.

Out of all the companies my work does business with, we get roadmaps where there is an NDA (e.g. Qualcomm, where there is a substantial annual license fee), previous relationship in the millions of dollars (aka partner), or if the project is multi year and requires SUBSTANTIAL resource planning (actually, I just realized, there was $250k license to see that roadmap, too). There is NO benefit to releasing these roadmaps publicly, and would be brain dead. I know of no case where a road map is publicly available for a partner of ours. And there isn't one for Apple or maybe not even Android (of course they are, JUST BEHIND AN NDA).

You're all treating BlackBerry different because they are not well off that they NEED to or else people get in tizzy over their demise. That is childish and I hate when you have to do stupid actions to appease people who don't understand reasoning over and over. But you're also forgetting they went through a rapid development of API's that gated many efforts. THERE WAS A SPECIFIC REASON TO HAVE A ROADMAP, MANY DEVS DEPENDED ON THAT FOR THEIR DEVELOPMENT. It's been said the new API's are for the slider led's. They are sharing that with their circle of devs. They may also get advance prototypes before release. If BlueNoser was part of BlackBerry Elite Devs, then he would be in the inner circle and not be able to speak about this since he'd be privy to it.
    08-22-15 02:34 PM
    BlackBerry continues to support BBOS7. Why do you think they wouldn't continue to support BBOS10?
    Where do you get this?

Show me a post on their official software site where the latest update for BBOS is released anywhere this year and up to the last 3 mths? Those that bought the last 9900 from the released batch may have a few months left of hardware support but that's it.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-22-15 02:46 PM
    Where do you get this?

Show me a post on their official software site where the latest update for BBOS is released anywhere this year and up to the last 3 mths? Those that bought the last 9900 from the released batch may have a few months left of hardware support but that's it.

Posted via CB10
    Security updates.

Microsoft develops new features for first 5 years, then goes into security updates for 5 years for 10 year cycle. They don't sell Windows 7 any more, but still providing security updates for a few more years.

Same thing with BBOS, except for exact years being different.

Actually, looks like July 2014.
    http://ca.blackberry.com/support/bus...ife-cycle.html

I didn't hear about this, I last heard:

UPDATE: A BlackBerry spokesperson has reached out to let us know that the company doesn't have any specific plans with regards to when it's going to end support for BlackBerry 7 OS. In their words: "BlackBerry intends to support the BlackBerry operating system indefinitely. Any comments to the contrary are not correct."
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Black...-years_id50886
    Dated Jan 2, 2014.

Officially, "BlackBerry Technical Support will continue to support our software on a best-effort basis." That probably means how severe the security issue is.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BCITMike; 08-22-15 at 04:55 PM.
    08-22-15 03:34 PM
    I want to also address why I refuse to get a BlackBerry-skinned Android...

Well, first off, I'm not a big fan of skins -- period. My dad has a tablet that the maker, even though their skin is such a insignificant change in the OS (compared to the more popular, heavily modified skins), refuses to update its user base past KitKat. You are held behind at the discretion of your skin creator.

And if it is true that BlackBerry 10 is done with future development, how long will BlackBerry be on board with an Android skin until they realize it isn't making them money and they 86 that too, eh? Then you're left with a phone with an EOL skin that doesn't get the latest Android versions anymore....

Terrible investment.

08-22-15 05:38 PM
    I must say, STV0726, Bluenoser63 & Richard Buckley (in no particular order) have some rather convincing arguments...
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-22-15 05:59 PM
    I'm about ready to flip the switch and make my Nexus 5 my primary phone, making my Z30 the "for fun backup phone on Wi-Fi all day."

I can almost jump ship right now. The only thing is, I have to decide if BlackBerry 10 isn't going to be supported eventually at all, do I want to keep utilizing their password keeper to store my credentials, or migrate it all over to some Android equivalent app (which may be more vulnerable).

It's a shame that it is ending this way it seems. When you are in denial you look for reasons to dismiss those like Bluenoser, but then you get to the point where you realize, there aren't any reasons to dismiss what he says. Because he isn't just saying, he's reporting. He gets crap for it but he isn't a troll that is bashing BlackBerry and spewing doom and gloom based on opinion. He's saying that hey let's wake up and realize qt5 ain't going forward with us, so guess what, we ain't going forward either.

CrackBerry has little to report on because there's less leaking. What started off as major grain of salt, more like speck of salt about Android is now all we hear about. Encouraging other platform development too now? Na, I'm done. Cutting my losses.

Speaking of which, who wants to buy my like new Z10 rotting in my closet? :P

I'm sick of holding on for a company that once again at least sub-screwed early adopters.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    If you've read any of my posts, you know I'm frustrated, as well. I think the Chen-era of BlackBerry has been the worst, yet.

But, it is possible that BlackBerry 10.4 is still around the corner. I develop Qt apps for other platforms. Qt 5.6, which will probably be released a little after the Slider is going to be the first Release Candidate for Qt5. What that means is that, up until this point, Qt5 was a little too buggy to be included as a foundational component in BB10.

My thought: BB10 is waiting on Qt5.6 RC and will be relaunched with awesomeness and Blendy app APIs and distributed computing then. But, the Qt libraries need to be solid and Qt5 / QML 2 / Qt3D is worth the jump, but only when they are ready.

The problem that Chen faces (other than that he is awful at selling phones) is that developing for BB10 right now, pre-relaunch, might be a waste of everyone's time. But, he needs something to stop the exodus of BlackBerry fans right now. Enter Android Secured. The BlackBerry fans want a new device this Christmas. They'll buy one from him and remain BlackBerry loyalists or they'll leave for another platform and possibly never come back. So, even though the next evolution of BB10 is not ready, yet, he has something to keep them around for another cycle.

Am I wrong? Probably. But, BB10 was never developed to its potential and the push seems to have stopped around the time Chen came, but that was also when it became more apparent that Qt5 was necessary along with some differentiating new features. BB10 needs a big update. It has the potential to be the best nextgen OS. Let's just hope that Chen gets it.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 06:07 PM
    I'd say you are a fortune teller with all your predictions. Maybe a social worker too since you can tell when people are in denial.

You can't tell what the future brings and you are basing your opinion on rumor and that's it. Just because BlackBerry is focusing on developing an android version of their phones that does not mean they are giving up on anything until an official statement is provided. I still find new apps once and a while in the BlackBerry store and most of the android apps are useless so do the numbers really count?

I feel you are just voicing your emotions prematurely and looking for sympathy. I do understand that people are worried but again premature still.

Good luck with your android venture and wish you luck in finding a phone that lasts up to 8 hrs lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 08:10 AM
    The app numbers count because people are brainwashed into thinking so. About 1.6 million apps available and about 1.5 million of them are for fart noises or BS made in China rip offs of real apps. Sad but true.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-23-15 09:22 AM
    I'd say you are a fortune teller with all your predictions. Maybe a social worker too since you can tell when people are in denial.

You can't tell what the future brings and you are basing your opinion on rumor and that's it. Just because BlackBerry is focusing on developing an android version of their phones that does not mean they are giving up on anything until an official statement is provided. I still find new apps once and a while in the BlackBerry store and most of the android apps are useless so do the numbers really count?

I feel you are just voicing your emotions prematurely and looking for sympathy. I do understand that people are worried but again premature still.

Good luck with your android venture and wish you luck in finding a phone that lasts up to 8 hrs lol.

Posted via CB10
    Nicely stated. And I'm LMAO at the battery comment
    The_Passporter likes this.
    08-23-15 11:58 AM
151 ... 23456 ...