I'm always amazed by people who will make a decision, in advance of the facts, based on a bunch of stuff other people have made up rather than wait for the truth to come out.
    I'm about ready to jump ship...-183338_534864673205715_976246223_n.jpg

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    08-19-15 04:39 AM
    Obviously they are coming out with a full screen phone with a slide out keyboard. You seriously couldn't wait for that if you did not like the Passport? To be honest you should have given the Passport a chance and even better yet waited and got the silver edition. Geez!
    I don't know if I will be able to make myself go back to android with all the crap that runs in the background using up battery and resources. They give you good specs in a phone and it gets gobbled up by all the apps competing for data collection. Also the apps tend to be poorly written creating bugs here and there. Definitely not to the standad of apples apps.

Sorry but I think you will be back and you will be welcomed.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 10:15 AM
    I'm always amazed by people who will make a decision, in advance of the facts, based on a bunch of stuff other people have made up rather than wait for the truth to come out.
    Ever heard of the straegy "Buy on the rumor, sell on the news?" If you wait for the official announcements then you're always going to be the last to know everything and the last to act. It isn't surprising that there are a lot of early adopters here. Sometimes you have to make a decision based on limited info especially if your contract is up or your smartphone breaks.
    08-19-15 11:57 AM
    How much for the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    Irish Blues likes this.
    08-19-15 12:09 PM
    Ever heard of the straegy "Buy on the rumor, sell on the news?" If you wait for the official announcements then you're always going to be the last to know everything and the last to act. It isn't surprising that there are a lot of early adopters here. Sometimes you have to make a decision based on limited info especially if your contract is up or your smartphone breaks.
    Indeed I have. It is a strategy employed by stock market wolves to take advantage of sheep. Buy the stock on the rumour of a new product because the hype will cause other people to buy, which will raise the stock price due to demand, so more people buy causing a greater price increase, and so on. Sell on the news, or ideally just before if you can because good bad or indifferent the stock price is likely to soften because even if the product, or other announcement, is good it won't compete with what people's expectations. It is a successful strategy for stock trading because it exploits the emotional decisions of the masses. It is a poor strategy to decide on buying the actual products, unless you are buying just to own, rather than to actually put the product to use.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    bungaboy and Batibreaker like this.
    08-19-15 04:14 PM
    Although I love the fluidity of BB10 and the fact it's secure and I don't need to worry about viruses or malware, in the end it's BlackBerry that I love. If they have to go to Android and Android alone to survive then so be it. If BB10 can't gain traction in large enough numbers to make supporting it a viable option then oh well. They tried. I just wanna see BlackBerry thrive once more and this just might be the only solution.
    08-19-15 04:22 PM
    That's why I treat the iphone like gold stock. If they don't have what I want then I would get an iphone (latest) on contract and sell it as new for top dollar and put it away for when the phone I want comes out. I always add to my phone fund monthly to make sure I have what I need to get the best phone for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 05:00 PM
    If BlackBerry is going full Android, then technically he doesn't need to move.

Posted from an ME173X
    exactly! where's he going? the fun is just starting here at BBRY World. err.. BBDroid World.
    08-20-15 12:15 AM
    How much for the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    PM me.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-20-15 01:46 AM
    Sure it would be nice BlackBerry continued to develop and improve BB10, but I agree that is looking somewhat doubtful at this point. Would you prefer that BlackBerry go out of business by continuing to loose money on BB10?
    Lol, it seriously, SERIOUSLY needs to go without saying that Android is light years away from a sure-fire solution for BlackBerry or for any company for that matter, unless you're Samsung.

So, that being said, their odds staying with BB10 and actually marketing better probably are the same. Would you rather see them go Android and fall out of business because, yawn, a BlackBerry Droid is still a niche, just like BlackBerry 10 is.

08-20-15 01:48 AM
    That's the difference between development and support. There are still lots of BB7 devices connected to BlackBerry BIS servers which are supported by BlackBerry.
    Great, so all the time they invested in this ecosystem is now just on support-only. No new features, which means the few remaining devs pull out faster than a straight guy who finds out his lover is really a dude. (Pardon the crude analogy.)

Not to mention going to Android is essentially starting from square one. Time to convince everyone BlackBerry is better now. Uh oh, problem is, they've heard this before. Boy who cried wolf effect - who wants to re-invest in another product that BlackBerry might have to 86 again...not me.

08-20-15 01:55 AM
    It is a poor strategy to decide on buying the actual products, unless you are buying just to own, rather than to actually put the product to use.
    This has got me thinking about how many participants on this forum are eager to come here daily to tell others about how much they are enjoying their new phone, are going to enjoy their next phone, and how much better their phones are than others. There's a lot more going on here than utility.
    08-20-15 08:22 AM
    Let me clarify: I am not an Android fanboy, not by a long-shot. In fact, that's the reason I'm so upset about the news surrounding BlackBerry now.

If I decided Android was better I am not the kind of person that would post to get attention.

I'm posting because BlackBerry needs to see how many people demand BlackBerry 10 development.

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-20-15 09:22 AM
    I'm posting because BlackBerry needs to see how many people demand BlackBerry 10 development.
    Why would you think that BlackBerry cares about what people say on an internet forum, especially when the same thing has been said on the same forum thousands of times?
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-20-15 10:03 AM
    BlackBerry continues to support BBOS7. Why do you think they wouldn't continue to support BBOS10?
    It depends on your definition of support.

If it is the ability to connect to BIS servers (as you've mentioned), then yes, OS7 is still supported.

But if security updates are part of support, OS7 is abandoned.

Go to the FREAK vulnerability test page on the OS7 browser. It still hasn't been patched, and it probably won't be. Don't forget, shopblackberry was selling OS7 devices last year.

I suspect support for BB10 will be a little better, but nothing more than minimal. This is not a company that should be dividing its dwindling resources.

If the plan is to become a software and support company, focusing your efforts on the two biggest platforms -- android and iOS -- makes complete sense, and BlackBerry will be more focused and effective if their own phones are android-based.
    08-20-15 10:30 AM
    If it's all about alternatives. I'd rather be sporting a BlackBerry-branded, HUB-enabled Android device rather than a vanilla Nexus. So I wouldn't toss in the towel yet. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my Passport.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    This pretty well sums up my situation as well, except I'm not particularly interested in the coming slider, so I'm hoping there's some other BlackBerry-branded, HUB-enabled Android device after that.

My Passport is approaching one year old, and it's holding up well. Double typing is there, yes, but it's infrequent enough not to be much of a problem, and hasn't gotten any worse. And I've had no screen lifting problems.

I felt the same urge to jump ship that the OP has expressed, back when TH was actively courting buyers for the company. And I did jump ship, to an S4, which I used for seven or so months. It wasn't a bad experience, but it did take a turn for the worse when the KitKat update was finally pushed out. The phone was never quite the same after that, a good illustration of the problems skinned Androids have assimilating Google's updates.

At this time, I think we have a pretty good set of clues to support the belief that a BlackBerry Android phone is coming. The fate of BB10 from here on is much murkier. The speculations are scattered through many threads; I'm not going to add to them. I'm content to sit back and see what's left standing when the smoke clears. We are clearly approaching a major transition point for BlackBerry. Meanwhile, my Passport still has plenty of miles left in it.

I also appreciate the OP's distinction between support and development of a platform, and I too am not satisfied with mere support. And I know, as we all do by now, that there are plenty of indications that BB10 development has already stalled; but until I actually hear the fat lady's solo I don't feel any pressure to do anything now. When the slider is officially announced, running Android, even if there is also a BB10 edition, Chen will be hammered with questions about the future of BB10. At that point, I think he'll have to provide some answers.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 08-20-15 at 11:10 AM.
    08-20-15 10:30 AM
    Go ahead and go Android. Why bother making the announcement? Like any of us should care?

Posted via CB10
    andre3030 likes this.
    08-20-15 11:08 AM
    Go ahead and go Android. Why bother making the announcement? Like any of us should care?

Posted via CB10

OP has over 1900 posts. He's a well-established member of this community and wants to discuss what to do in the future. I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'd encourage him to stick around even if he does change phones.
    08-20-15 12:01 PM
    Well what they are doing is obviously not working so why should they keep doing the same thing and getting same or worse results?

I'm sure they want to please everyone using their bb10 but if they aren't making enough money off just the BlackBerry crowd how can they come up with all this stuff we want?

Posted via cb10 Www.youtube.com/spookyentertainment
    08-20-15 12:35 PM
    I understand the OP's frustration. While I'm happy w/my Classic, it's obvious BlackBerry is still lagging behind iOS and Android in terms of hardware and applications. The Passport has decent specs, but it's a niche device that only a small percentage of users will want to buy. IMO the HUB is BlackBerry's greatest strength right now, it sets BlackBerry apart from iOS and Android in a very good way. Lack of apps is a big issue for some, but I'd just like to see continued development of the native BlackBerry apps I use everyday: Calendar, Contacts, Remember, Phone Dialer, Maps, Music Player and Assistant all need improvement. A great camera, speakers, and display wouldn't hurt either.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.840
    jcbrunson likes this.
    08-20-15 12:50 PM
    Can we have 1 thread for these topics.

Ur leaving BlackBerry - Have a nice day!

Also the amount of time spent planning a dramatic title.

All I say is leave already.
    Have a nice day too.

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    08-20-15 12:57 PM
    I'm about ready to flip the switch and make my Nexus 5 my primary phone, making my Z30 the "for fun backup phone on Wi-Fi all day....."
    It never ceases to amaze me to see how some people will (over-)react to rumours, claim injury and fuss about the way things change.

There is nothing substantive to be seen on any deprecation of BB10. If anything, based on Chen's statements relating to Android interoperability, it may well be that BlackBerry has figured out how to make Android code run natively in BB10, and that the distinction between the chaotic landscape that is Android, and a secure, closed system that is BlackBerry OS, will be the difference that ultimately results in the restoration of BlackBerry's star in the Mobile Wars.

I may be wrong, but I see no reason to react to something which hasn't, at this writing, changed one iota.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-20-15 01:15 PM
    I will still be hear at CB. This post was not intended to grab attention. I should have clarified that.
    See ya as in, see you around. So, see ya.

PS: ALL "BlackBerry is dead", "I'm gone", "Laters!", "Jumping ship" etc. posts are just intended to grab attention. The only person to whom your personal device choise and the direction you go matter is you.

PPS: Not sarcasm, not burn, cold fact. No harm intended.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-20-15 02:08 PM
    Why would you think that BlackBerry cares about what people say on an internet forum, especially when the same thing has been said on the same forum thousands of times?
    Because they should. Give me one reason they shouldn't? We are pretty much the last of their consumer base.

If they don't care about is, they deserve whatever fate they get.

Batibreaker likes this.
    08-20-15 02:27 PM
    OP has over 1900 posts. He's a well-established member of this community and wants to discuss what to do in the future. I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'd encourage him to stick around even if he does change phones.
    Hey - I really appreciate you defending.

In actuality though, I say again, this post isn't necessarily for "you all" and I certainly don't want attention nor do I want to promote Android.

I want BlackBerry to have a chance at seeing that even some of their longest fans are sick of no answers and all news being Android rumors. Even if they don't care and won't change because of it, I still want them to see it. So unless you work for BlackBerry, I don't why you would get pissy with me. You think I want to have to jump ship? It kills me.

Batibreaker likes this.
    08-20-15 02:34 PM
151 1234 ...