So if blackberry fails and in its attempt to restructure, and stops being a going concern, what happens to the OS?

Is it possible to be sold or not ?

Does it have a chance to become the next open platform?

What about QNX?

Speculation? Keep the trolling to a minimum.
    10-04-13 10:18 PM
    If BlackBerry falls, I'm afraid like Palm and WebOS, the OS will die with it. Competitor operating systems are mature enough that I feel many buyers will find non use for it. Then again maybe I'm wrong and BB10 is what a company has had there eye on the whole time.
    10-04-13 10:26 PM
    I wonder this and I would hope, this is a hope, that it would be open sourced and a willing community would take it up. Maybe even still produce updates in the form of autoloaders.

Posted with a red Q5!
    10-05-13 02:55 AM
    10-05-13 03:43 AM
    There are multiple possibilities:
    The first obvious would be a more or less slow death like WebOS suffered. So a new company buys it, or rather doesn't buy it and BlackBerry itself won't be able to support it any longer.

The next scenario would be an ongoing development for niche, enterprise markets. Then we have the question, if we regular consumers will still profit from any updates. I am thinking of either specialized industrial devices or even business oriented, smaller volume smartphones.

Last but not least it could be bought and the buyer keeps bidding on his horse, trying to establish an as good as possible competition against the other three players. By looking at the market, where even Firefox OS appears to have some sort of small success and there is a demand for Jollas Sailfish OS, there could be a chance that BB10 can swim.

Of course the very last chance, but I'm kind of afraid it is the least possible on at the moment, would be BlackBerry keeping BB10, completely cutting off their own hardware building infrastructure and keep on working on BB10. New devices would be build by outsourced companies.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-05-13 04:05 AM
    Sadly I think BB will go like Palm. Only the patents will survive.
    10-07-13 08:21 AM