Thor said that it just wasn't up to what he wants it to be, it would be laggy and probably freeze, make the tablet hot, or some other problem. Here we are complaining that we aren't getting the update, when in reality, if we had it, we would be complaining about it more.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-02-13 05:31 AM
    I agree folks would complain if it didn't run well. The bigger issue is we were told the PB will get BB10. Thor probably should have said something like "we are trying our best to bring BB1 to the PB".

People feel like they were lied too. BlackBerry could have and probably should have said something sooner given an update rather than remain completely silent on the matter.

Personally not having BB10 will not affect my use of the PB.

Posted via CB10
    Lemmo73 and mk2234 like this.
    07-02-13 05:37 AM
    Yes, I think the biggest issue was memory. It seems pretty clear that BB10 needs at least 2 GB of RAM. Even the lower end Q5 has 2 GB. I think they should have explained the technical hurdles a bit more when they announced the decision. You can't stop people from being angry at the decision, but I think most would forgive if BlackBerry had fully explained why. Just saying, "I wasn't happy with the performance", isn't enough.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 06:16 AM
    If they release it for pb of course it shouldn't be laggy.. there should be adjustment for PB environtment.. they have the "most" efficient kernel system, aren't they? My six years old laptop still able to open multiple windows and multitask with 1Gb RAM and 80 Gb ATA harddisk... android could do things with 512 Mb.. iOS too... so what's the problem? is it QNX not as good as it said?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 06:25 AM
    It would have been better if he said that bb10 isn't coming to the playbook but we are making a new one with a 10 inch screen that runs it. And if you trade in your playbook then you get $100 of the purchase of the bigger one....

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    07-02-13 12:09 PM
    All the PlayBook needs is compatibility with cascades apps and updated browser and kb. Don't think PlayBook users care too much about the hub on the 7inch screen. I think BlackBerry should have at least attempted to bring some features over to the PlayBook rather than out right destroy it.

SIGH

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    07-02-13 12:48 PM
    Then I guess qnx isn't so great and flexible if it can't even perform well on the same hardware as the galaxy nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-02-13 01:11 PM
    All the PlayBook needs is compatibility with cascades apps and updated browser and kb. Don't think PlayBook users care too much about the hub on the 7inch screen. I think BlackBerry should have at least attempted to bring some features over to the PlayBook rather than out right destroy it.

SIGH

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure the hub is the main reason for the needed extra ram. They should just bring cascade compatability and update the native apps to use cascades, which in my opinion run a lot faster than the adobe air apps the PlayBook is currently running.. I don't need a hub (aka unified inbox) on my PlayBook, im Ok with launching each app individually from the notification corner. I just need the messages, contacts and calendar app ui in cascades and a cascades BBM app. And a twitter app.. and ffs, BlackBerry maps.. memopad/remember, password keeper, file manager etc
    07-02-13 01:13 PM
    I see 1 GB RAM in many current-generation tablets, and wonder if something is wrong with BlackBerry engineers more than with the PlayBook.

Something should be doable, though--I don't think PlayBook needs the Hub as such (the 'peek' gesture would be awkward), but BBM would be nice--not getting it on the PlayBook would really be another slap in the face if it's coming to other OS tablets. Unify the app/video/music stores at least, more functional Bridge with the BB10 phones, and incorporate the PlayBook as just another destination/resolution in the current development tools. Make it easier on developers to develop for both systems, small as the PlayBook market is overall.
    07-02-13 01:22 PM
    Exactly, bb1 ran bad on the dev devices with 1 gb I could only imagine the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    07-02-13 02:39 PM
    I would be happy if they restored bridge!

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    07-02-13 02:51 PM
    That's exactly what they should have said so that people wouldn't feel "lied" to. I for one don't give a crap, but some people invest so much in electronic devices , even two year old ones , that they fly into a rage when they can't get what they want. But there a lot of people that take"we will TRY " as we WILL anyway. It's sad that a "promise" to update an "old" device would make people lose faith in a company...some take this personal, which is sad.
    spyeagle likes this.
    07-02-13 03:04 PM
    The playbook was not successful commercially, but was successful in launching Blackberries new OS......people should give it respect, but lets not live in fantasyland...its 2 years old hardware. good luck getting android supporting 1 year old hardware let alone this old....

Z10in' since the Beginnin'
    07-02-13 06:06 PM
    Well said OP. Let's not forget, Thorsten announced the delay in BB10 because he saw 'seams' in the software. This is a man who wants perfection in his software performance. We should be thankful for that.
    bradu1 likes this.
    07-02-13 06:15 PM
    We got lied to about bb10, at least bring back full bridge.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 11:05 PM
    For the love of god just please improve the browser. HOW HARD WOULD THAT BE? The bb10 browser is phenomenal. That alone would infinitely increase the value of the PB.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 11:13 PM