Given the end of the B4B program, I can't help but wonder if the next move is to shutter BlackBerry World in favor of the Amazon App Store.

If that happens, will we be able to download apps we've already paid for in BlackBerry World? If not, what should we do after a security wipe or when we get a new BB10 phone?

It's hard to see how the Amazon App Store could keep track of which apps we bought on BlackBerry World!

Posted via CB10
    01-20-16 08:03 PM
    That won't happen. The Amazon appstore can't house native apps.

Don't worry. Even BBW for BBOS still exists after all these years.
    01-20-16 08:05 PM
    What he said 👆
    01-20-16 08:06 PM
    What he said 👆
    I'm still trying to figure out which finger that is.
    01-20-16 08:11 PM
    That's reassuring, but then I can't see any reason to remove the B4B designation from already certified apps!? Can anyone explain that move?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-16 08:13 PM
    That's reassuring, but then I can't see any reason to remove the B4B designation from already certified apps!? Can anyone explain that move?

Posted via CB10
    That is a mystery. The fact that it would take money and developer resources (however small) to make the changes to icons and BBW headings makes me think they had to for some weird contractual reason or something. I just don't know.
    01-20-16 08:22 PM
    That is a mystery. The fact that it would take money and developer resources (however small) to make the changes to icons and BBW headings makes me think they had to for some weird contractual reason or something. I just don't know.
    It would probably take a Jr programming an hour to do all the work. I have been programming for 35 years and if it takes more time in that, BlackBerry has more problems than not making money on hardware.
    elfabio80 and Vistaus like this.
    01-20-16 08:29 PM
    It would probably take a Jr programming an hour to do all the work. I have been programming for 35 years and if it takes more time in that, BlackBerry has more problems than not making money on hardware.
    I understand that, but BlackBerry doesn't seem to spend one penny if they don't have to these days. It's easier to do nothing, so I think there must be a reason.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-20-16 08:32 PM
    Not to worry about BBW shutting down, they got BBM stickers to sell on there too - and they don't have to be labeled "Built for Blackberry!" Arrggghhhh
    ssbtech and FF22 like this.
    01-20-16 08:44 PM
    I speculate that they're removing the BBB logos because they're killing the entire program, and leaving the badges for some developers while an equally "Built for BB" app couldn't get the badge - making for an unlevel playing field - the kind that could lead to lawsuits.
    Sallem and JeepBB like this.
    01-20-16 11:57 PM
    I don�t know the program but I guess they need to look through some code and see if the program are good enough? That takes time and money and if they stop adding/promoting more programs they need to take a stand on those that are already in the program I guess. How knows perhaps it's a true/false option in BBW?

Posted via CB10
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    01-21-16 12:08 AM
    Given the end of the B4B program, I can't help but wonder if the next move is to shutter BlackBerry World in favor of the Amazon App Store.

If that happens, will we be able to download apps we've already paid for in BlackBerry World? If not, what should we do after a security wipe or when we get a new BB10 phone?

It's hard to see how the Amazon App Store could keep track of which apps we bought on BlackBerry World!

Posted via CB10
    When I started development for BlackBerry they didn't have BlackBerry World, and the installed base was not much bigger than what BB10 is now. It actually wasn't that bad. You didn't have to sift through a ton of crap looking for a decent application. It was also easier to get your applications in front of people who would pay for them. If you think about it how many applications do you find by looking in the stores v following a link from a website.

I don't think BlackBerry World is going away, but I won't cry if it does.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-21-16 04:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Built for Blackberry program was created to help users differentiate between native Blackberry 10 apps and Android ports. They've been trying to get Android apps out of Blackberry World and into the Amazon App Store for a while, and if there's no more Android ports in Blackberry World, there's no need to single out the native apps.
    01-21-16 05:05 PM
    That's not quite right @Baconwich.

The majority of native apps DO NOT have the Built for Blackberry designation.

The program was to provide added exposure for native apps that met higher quality standards.
    01-21-16 05:28 PM
    BlackBerry World isn't going away. Relax.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    01-21-16 05:33 PM
    The Built for Blackberry program was created to help users differentiate between native Blackberry 10 apps and Android ports. They've been trying to get Android apps out of Blackberry World and into the Amazon App Store for a while, and if there's no more Android ports in Blackberry World, there's no need to single out the native apps.
    Additionally, built for BlackBerry could refer to Cascades or Android post Priv...

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 05:45 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out which finger that is.
    That's the BlackBerry finger. The one the company is giving us as BlackBerry slowly disappears out of existence. Or at least the phones. Chens a software nut and he's going to take the phones right out of it.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    ssbtech and illlya like this.
    01-21-16 05:52 PM
    This is not going to happen.

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    01-21-16 08:42 PM
    That's not quite right @Baconwich.

The majority of native apps DO NOT have the Built for Blackberry designation.

The program was to provide added exposure for native apps that met higher quality standards.
    Probable the idea was to "encourage" developers that ported their Android apps to BlackBerry World and found some success, to go the extra step to develop a native apps that received this "certification" as well as better performance.

I think BlackBerry had hoped that the Android Runtime was just a temporary "fix" for the ecosystem problems. That eventually they might even be in a position to where the Android Runtime and "ported" Android Apps were not necessary. Which would have greatly improved BB10's performance.

None of us really believed that developers would simple ignore BB10....
    01-22-16 08:38 AM
    Probable the idea was to "encourage" developers that ported their Android apps to BlackBerry World and found some success, to go the extra step to develop a native apps that received this "certification" as well as better performance.

I think BlackBerry had hoped that the Android Runtime was just a temporary "fix" for the ecosystem problems. That eventually they might even be in a position to where the Android Runtime and "ported" Android Apps were not necessary. Which would have greatly improved BB10's performance.

None of us really believed that developers would simple ignore BB10....
    Actually, more than a few of us quickly realized developers were indeed ignoring BB10 and there was nothing BlackBerry could do about it.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Developers won't develop apps for BB10 unless there is a large enough user base, consumers won't buy BB10 phones unless there is a large enough selection of quality, big-name apps.

How could BB10 compete with the well-established ecosystems of iOS and Android? By now it should be obvious they couldn't. There was no way.

Look at Microsoft. Billions poured into marketing and trying to attract big-name developers to Windows phone. And they still only managed to carve out a few measly percentage points of worldwide market share.

In retrospect, without the Android runtime, BB10 may have been put in maintenance and phase-out mode long before now. It's the one thing that gave power users the ability to get at least some of the apps they needed.

JeepBB likes this.
    01-22-16 08:48 AM
    The only time BlackBerry World goes away is when BlackBerry the company itself folds.
    anon(679606) likes this.
    01-22-16 09:37 AM
    Actually, more than a few of us quickly realized developers were indeed ignoring BB10 and there was nothing BlackBerry could do about it.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Developers won't develop apps for BB10 unless there is a large enough user base, consumers won't buy BB10 phones unless there is a large enough selection of quality, big-name apps.

How could BB10 compete with the well-established ecosystems of iOS and Android? By now it should be obvious they couldn't. There was no way.

Look at Microsoft. Billions poured into marketing and trying to attract big-name developers to Windows phone. And they still only managed to carve out a few measly percentage points of worldwide market share.

In retrospect, without the Android runtime, BB10 may have been put in maintenance and phase-out mode long before now. It's the one thing that gave power users the ability to get at least some of the apps they needed.

I remember some questioned this back when the PlayBook didn't get any love from developers.... Sadly I still had "hope" and bought into this new platform. I mean it was so easy take an APK and convert it to a BAR file and Sideload it. Why not port your apps to BBW? It made no sense to those of us that weren't developers.

Wasn't really until after that first earning report that I started to doubt developers would come - no sales = no users = no market for developers. And then a few months later BlackBerry started locking the runtime in some of those leaked version of BB10, I figured they were about to shoot themselves in the foot. But thankfully that didn't last long and it wasn't long before they made it even easier to directly load APKs.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-22-16 09:45 AM
    I remember some questioned this back when the PlayBook didn't get any love from developers.... Sadly I still had "hope" and bought into this new platform. I mean it was so easy take an APK and convert it to a BAR file and Sideload it. Why not port your apps to BBW? It made no sense to those of us that weren't developers.

Wasn't really until after that first earning report that I started to doubt developers would come - no sales = no users = no market for developers. And then a few months later BlackBerry started locking the runtime in some of those leaked version of BB10, I figured they were about to shoot themselves in the foot. But thankfully that didn't last long and it wasn't long before they made it even easier to directly load APKs.
    I never believed that BB10 (or the Playbook) would gain developers, but then I am an old cynic at heart.

I could never see any up-side to the reward vs effort equation for Devs. Even BB making it easy to port the APK still meant the Dev spending a little time and effort... and for what? A very small potential financial benefit (given the tiny BB market share) on the positive side against the risk that your App wouldn't work as well under the Android RT as it did under "real" Android, might need tweaking for the funny BB screen sizes (more time/effort), and the likelihood that your reputation would be damaged when BB10 users started to complain about your "rubbish App" and leave bad reviews (which they did).

Even BB offering the bigger Devs upfront money to bring their Apps to BB10 didn't work. The upfront money from BB either wasn't enough, or (more likely IMO) the Devs decided the on-going costs of support weren't worth the very few million (at a maximum) new BB users they'd gain against the many millions (billions?) of Android users they already had.
    01-22-16 10:54 AM
    The only time BlackBerry World goes away is when BlackBerry the company itself folds.
    As for myself, the sooner the better. I am so done with BlackBerry !!

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 11:39 AM
    As for myself, the sooner the better. I am so done with BlackBerry !!

Posted via CB10
    Apparently you aren't.

DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-22-16 11:48 AM
40 12