03-27-15 07:07 PM
81 ... 234
tools
    I couldn't get any of the Mega links to work on my BB-- always opened a Bing search with no results found-- but I went back to the original Cobalt232 post and got the BitCasa links to work. Installed fine and store is working.
    I recommend going into the settings and telling it not to auto update apps in Play. Sometimes newer versions break functionality (eg. Chrome), which can be annoying. And lately even with auto update off I have Google wanting to update the Play Store. Under no circumstances should you do that update, lol.
    03-26-15 11:01 PM
    I just didn't realize that the people who sold me the phone would be so unfamiliar with it ;->
    Unfortunately that is one of the problems Blackberry has right now, there has developed such a bias against Blackberry and people selling them have not spent the time to actually understand the OS. Most reviewers have not spent enough time with them to adequately understand the OS and write poor reviews as a result, reviews based on a lack of understanding rather than actual deficiencies.

I too used Palm, although not a Palm based phone. I actually miss the functionality of the Palm in many ways, it worked very well. The calendar was fantastic as was the contact management.
    03-27-15 09:16 AM
    This is awesome-- and the first thing that I've found that is superior to the Palm in terms of functional utility. Great feature!!
    Yessir. The keyboard shortcuts are what I missed. Yes, the Q10 had a lot of them, but unlike the Classic, just wasn't the same
    03-27-15 09:56 AM
    Unfortunately that is one of the problems Blackberry has right now, there has developed such a bias against Blackberry and people selling them have not spent the time to actually understand the OS. Most reviewers have not spent enough time with them to adequately understand the OS and write poor reviews as a result, reviews based on a lack of understanding rather than actual deficiencies.

I too used Palm, although not a Palm based phone. I actually miss the functionality of the Palm in many ways, it worked very well. The calendar was fantastic as was the contact management.
    It's been like that for a while, which is why I order my Blackberries online through VZW. My last 2 (Q10 and Classic) were done that way. Buying my 9930 from a Verizon store, you would have thought I was a criminal or some psycho or something the way I got publicly bashed by the Sales Associate and mildly by the store manager. I literally almost left Verizon at that moment. The last Blackberry I purchased with no issue was the Bold 9650 because that Sales Associate actually USED it and had it holstered on his belt.

I shared this in a post a while back, but I once had very pleasant conversation with a Verizon customer service rep over the phone. I had called in about one of the other lines on my account and somehow we got to talking about Blackberry. She was actually KNOWLEDGEABLE about BB10 and had nothing but nice things to say about BB10 while also being fair to the other OS platforms. I was taken aback. Lol. I told her that she should be working in a Verizon store and if there were 100 of her scattered nationwide, perhaps Blackberry's image would be somewhat improved.
    PHughes likes this.
    03-27-15 10:15 AM
    So, as the OP of this thread which garnered a surprising number of views and posts, I'll make a final round-up from my own point of view:

Why was I so disappointed with my new BlackBerry? Turns out there were two reasons, a) poor product knowledge on the part of the Bell staff that sold me the device, and b) some poor UI/UX design problems on the part of Blackberry. But of the seven random gripes I threw out in my original post, 5 have been resolved through the good help of folks on this forum. Of the other 2-- search fields not defaulting to blank, and custom categories for calendar events-- one is minor but the other remains a serious deficiency in my eyes. That more or less matches the ratio on the greater number of gripes I never mentioned.

But as of Day 10 of ownership, after a lot of work familiarizing myself and finding how to adapt the device to my needs, I am finding the Classic to be a very impressive tool, and as the only reasonable alternative to my beloved old Palm now on the market, I'm pretty confident I will make my peace with it, and there's a good possibility I will come to love it too.

I trust that BlackBerry themselves are listening to the suggestions on these forums and taking them into account for future revisions. They have a great platform to work with, and with some continued refinement they can have unarguably the best system on the planet.

Many thanks to all the folks who participated in this discussion and offered help. It has been an illuminating and rewarding introduction to the CB community, and I'm glad to be part of it.
    pstrusi likes this.
    03-27-15 06:32 PM
    Welcome to BlackBerry and CrackBerry bzavitz. I'm very confident once you learn the gestures you'll be a happy guy on team BlackBerry.

Don't forget to swipe down from the screen sometimes

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 07:07 PM
81 ... 234