I just migrated to a BB Classic from a 6-year old Palm Treo 650. It certainly is a huge advance technologically-- a beautiful machine with lots of pretty animations-- but from the standpoint of functional utility/UX design I find it very poor in comparison. If I could go back to the Palm I would. Why is everything 5 - 6 moves away, instead of 1 or 2? Why can't I create custom categories in the contact list, and filter and browse by category? No categories for events in the calendar either. How come when I search for a name, then call the number, then go back to search for another number, the search field is still populated with the last name? It should default to blank. I was persuaded by the fact the OS 10.3 would run Android apps, and I have been hearing for years how many great apps there are, but when I go to the Amazon store I find a paltry selection of amateur creations (maybe the games are great, but I'm not a gamer). Why can't I get the "Alt" or "Caps" key to lock on? Why can't I set a recurring event for the last Friday of every month?

What am I missing here?
    03-24-15 09:32 PM
    To find apps that aren't on amazon, get the apk, for example, google this to download lync:

Download lync android apk

I agree with what you're saying, all modern mobile OS's are not well designed.

Posted via CB10
    bzavitz likes this.
    03-24-15 10:19 PM
    I just migrated to a BB Classic from a 6-year old Palm Treo 650. It certainly is a huge advance technologically-- a beautiful machine with lots of pretty animations-- but from the standpoint of functional utility/UX design I find it very poor in comparison. If I could go back to the Palm I would. Why is everything 5 - 6 moves away, instead of 1 or 2? Why can't I create custom categories in the contact list, and filter and browse by category? No categories for events in the calendar either. How come when I search for a name, then call the number, then go back to search for another number, the search field is still populated with the last name? It should default to blank. I was persuaded by the fact the OS 10.3 would run Android apps, and I have been hearing for years how many great apps there are, but when I go to the Amazon store I find a paltry selection of amateur creations (maybe the games are great, but I'm not a gamer). Why can't I get the "Alt" or "Caps" key to lock on? Why can't I set a recurring event for the last Friday of every month?

What am I missing here?
    Post a picture of your new Blackberry Classic.
    03-24-15 10:30 PM
    it's probably not for you
    03-24-15 10:35 PM
    There's a gigantic help file to help you.
    Read it. You're jumping into a completely different OS that does things differently.
    For most of us, it was easy transitioning, but not for all people. Almost everyone here will agree, it's worth the couple of weeks to get in the hang of it.
    nt300, WALLIEDIRT and NYTOC83 like this.
    03-24-15 10:52 PM
    I just migrated to a BB Classic from a 6-year old Palm Treo 650.
    That's probably it right there. You mastered your old device and now have trouble adjusting to a new one. Give it time.

A Bold 9900 may even work better for you.
    03-24-15 10:53 PM
    I just migrated to a BB Classic from a 6-year old Palm Treo 650.
    I migrated from my Treo 650 to BlackBerry, but that was about 6 years ago. Currently, I'm on the Z30.

Things are different with BlackBerry. You'll miss some convenient items from the Palm world, but gain many advantages with BlackBerry plus Amazon. BTW, I disagree with you regarding the Amazon store. I've obtained plenty of useful/interesting apps from Amazon (many paid apps through free promotions).

If you want to venture further with Android apps, Snap is useful but you have to sideload it. If that's not for you, Google "1Mobile apk" and install that as an alternative app store.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 11:54 PM
    Why can't I create custom categories in the contact list, and filter and browse by category?
    If you are talking about creating groups of similar contacts, you can. Select the 'New Group' option, name the group, and then add specific contacts that already exist in your list to the group. For example, I have a 'Family' group and a 'Businesses' group where the relevant contacts appear as group members for me to select.

As an added convenience measure, I proceed all my group names with a # (e.g. # - Family) so that all the groups I have created appear at the top of my contact list. Otherwise, they are stored in the list alphabetically.
    bzavitz, -Puck- and JRF_1986 like this.
    03-25-15 01:10 AM
    Why can't I get the "Alt" or "Caps" key to lock on?
    Just hold 'em a lil' bit longer. :3
    bzavitz likes this.
    03-25-15 04:49 AM
    "but when I go to the Amazon store I find a paltry selection of amateur creations"
    What exactly are you looking for?

"Why can't I get the "Alt" or "Caps" key to lock on?"
    Hold the key for a second and it locks. press it again to unlock.

"Why can't I set a recurring event for the last Friday of every month?"
    When you add an appointment, tap the time/date button , and at the bottom of the next screen you'll find 'Repeat'. In that list you can set whatever you want. 'Custom' is at the bottom of that list and it lets you do a variety of things.

The phone is very powerful. Yes it might take a few more taps for some things than you're used to but others are a lot quicker and more flexible now too. Things like setting appointments are considerably more easy on a BB than the other brands, so just take the time to learn it. You've made a serious upgrade to a modern device and it will take time to get used to it.
    03-25-15 07:31 AM
    Just hold 'em a lil' bit longer. :3
    Thank you!!! I couldn't find that in the Help files
    PHughes likes this.
    03-25-15 09:53 AM

What am I missing here?
    Install google play store, instructions on forums.

Rogers Blackberry Passport. BlackBerry Since 2006
    03-25-15 09:55 AM
    To the OP.... there is definitely a learning curve but as others have said,take a wee bit of time to run through the tutorials and help and also check BlackBerry's blog and twitter for tips and tricks. Of course crackberry is awesome for getting help and reducing the learning curve time.

Enjoy

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-15 10:00 AM
    If you are talking about creating groups of similar contacts, you can. Select the 'New Group' option, name the group, and then add specific contacts that already exist in your list to the group. For example, I have a 'Family' group and a 'Businesses' group where the relevant contacts appear as group members for me to select.
    Thank you!! That has been my biggest concern. Because of the way it is presented, the "Groups" feature looks like a broadcast list, rather than a category. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to assign a new contact to an existing group when you are creating that contact. It seems like you have to create the contact, save it, open the Group, search through your list and add the contact. Am I missing something here too?
    03-25-15 10:07 AM
    To find apps that aren't on amazon, get the apk, for example, google this to download lync:

Download lync android apk

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I will dig into that later, as I presume there is a learning curve there as well
    03-25-15 10:13 AM
    I was persuaded by the fact the OS 10.3 would run Android apps, and I have been hearing for years how many great apps there are, but when I go to the Amazon store I find a paltry selection of amateur creations (maybe the games are great, but I'm not a gamer).
    Install google play store, instructions on forums.
    Here you go, detailed instructions on how to install Google Play Store: http://forums.crackberry.com/android.../#post11189556

I'll give you the tl;dr version here though:
    Step 1) https://mega.nz/#!kRUQDADR!vrsZyFxhn...8Ebv4CuZoZmRLE Download, allow, run, login with Google credentials, close app.
    Step 2) https://mega.nz/#!JFNhyDYY!eQH3F3gcn...rk6hzAg3k8wU9c Download, allow, run, register your device, close app.
    Step 3) https://mega.nz/#!IENwjZpD!Mj_SJ9F_U...l3g_PhjwmdklYs Download, allow, run. Welcome to the Google Play Store.

You can do this all from your device, you don't need any additional computer or BlackBerry knowledge, and it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
    Good luck!
    bzavitz, JRF_1986 and blee4 like this.
    03-25-15 10:15 AM
    That's probably it right there. You mastered your old device and now have trouble adjusting to a new one. Give it time.

A Bold 9900 may even work better for you.
    I am technically literate (a web designer), I expected a period of adjustment, and HAVE been reading the Help files and searching online and asking at several associated phone stores. Gradually getting some answers, but it was slow going,

I had built up quite a level of frustration, as you can probably tell, and I think the main contributor was that the basic questions were not being answered by staff at the (Bell) phone stores, so it looked like I couldn't do many things with the phone I wanted to. The answers here have been extremely helpful-- I just didn't realize that the people who sold me the phone would be so unfamiliar with it ;->
    Last edited by bzavitz; 03-25-15 at 11:10 AM.
    03-25-15 10:25 AM
    "but when I go to the Amazon store I find a paltry selection of amateur creations"
    What exactly are you looking for?
    A cleanly-designed calendar where I can create categories for events would be a good start.
    03-25-15 10:29 AM
    Wow a Palm... Good Luck. Talking about not updating software. I remember when I had the Treo, they NEVER updated anything. This was while they were the it thing alongside BB.
    03-25-15 10:31 AM
    "Why can't I set a recurring event for the last Friday of every month?"
    When you add an appointment, tap the time/date button , and at the bottom of the next screen you'll find 'Repeat'. In that list you can set whatever you want. 'Custom' is at the bottom of that list and it lets you do a variety of things.
    Thank you for that. I'm not sure why I missed that "Custom" tab-- I searched several times.
    03-25-15 10:31 AM
    Wow a Palm... Good Luck. Talking about not updating software. I remember when I had the Treo, they NEVER updated anything. This was while they were the it thing alongside BB.
    Yes, and if they had not abandoned their foundation and gone to Windows OS, they might still be a big player
    daniel337 likes this.
    03-25-15 10:33 AM
    Thank you!! That has been my biggest concern. Because of the way it is presented, the "Groups" feature looks like a broadcast list, rather than a category. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to assign a new contact to an existing group when you are creating that contact. It seems like you have to create the contact, save it, open the Group, search through your list and add the contact. Am I missing something here too?
    No worries. Always willing to help out a fellow BlackBerry owner.

If you already have some groups created, depending on the number of additional contacts you want to add to an existing group, I would do the following:
    - Add one contact: Select the contact from the 'Contacts' app, press the 3 dot button (i.e. bottom right), select 'Add to Group,' then pick the group.
    - Add multiple contacts: Select the group from the 'Contacts' app, press 'Edit,' press 'Add Contacts,' then select all the contacts you want added.

The second option would be faster for multiple contacts since you can highlight as many contacts to add as you like. However, the first option allows you to select one or more preferred contact methods for the contact you're adding. For example, if you had a contact who had a work number and a personal number, you could add their work number to a work group and their personal number to a different group.
    Last edited by ryeguyyyc; 03-25-15 at 12:08 PM.
    ALToronto likes this.
    03-25-15 11:40 AM
    Enjoy your new classic OP.

If you want world peace, start within yourself.
    03-25-15 11:44 AM
    I am technically literate (a web designer), I expected a period of adjustment, and HAVE been reading the Help files and searching online and asking at several associated phone stores. Gradually getting some answers, but it was slow going,

I had built up quite a level of frustration, as you can probably tell, and I think the main contributor was that the basic questions were not being answered by staff at the (Bell) phone stores, so it looked like I couldn't do many things with the phone I wanted to. The answers here have been extremely helpful-- I just didn't realize that the people who sold me the phone would be so unfamiliar with it ;->
    When it comes to carrier reps knowing anything about BB10, it's hit and miss. Though mostly miss, lol. CB Forums are the best BlackBerry support extension you'll find on the web. (As you've learned).
    03-25-15 01:28 PM
    Pretty simple.. the more complicated you make something to use.... the more hoops you jump through to use it. Back in the olden days you had a 13 channel dial for TV selection you simply turned the dial to the 3 or 4 channels that were available..... was great as it added to your fitness as there was not remote control...... no couch potatoes back then.,.,,Now you have PVR with hundreds of channels... with option to record......so what would the OP expect.... as we all have different preferences you will never ever please everyone. One person will say it is too complicated ( People coming to BB ) some will say it is too simplistic (your typical Apple user who wants simple )... no... in the long run you will never keep everyone happy... thus whey we have forums like this.. the electronic coffee clutch if you will...
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    03-25-15 01:45 PM
81 123 ...