Because most people know nothing but Android (some iOS) maybe?! Especially teenagers. What's that got to do with "intuitive and self explanatory"? I didn't need a manual for BB10 I just needed a few minutes for the basics but I always wish I had one when I hold an Android device.

Posted via CB10
    That's quite true, I have had a bb10 since day one first a Z10 now a Z30 for a year and a half, never have I read the help files, I approached the phone like a 5 year old approaches a PS4 I try stuff...it doesn't work I try different stuff, this trial and error plus reading the great stuff on here has really unlocked the power of this phone, it's become my mobile home office and most everything in my business and personal life is done on this phone.

Everyday I ask myself why hasn't this sold I find this thing so incredibly powerful?

Good luck with your digging OP your gonna love bb10

And I have amazon, 1mobile, and Snap, I keep having trouble with Google play everytime they update the app it screws up in my phone, no biggie because Snap takes care of everything, all the apps are there, it's just a tad more complicated to have to side load

From my Zed30 running OS 10.3.1.2582
    03-25-15 11:27 PM
    Forget about your friends, it's a weak argument. Share your experience only and be more specific. What Android version, what Xperia phone, shat exactly issues you had problem with? Cache and memory cleaning tools on Android slow down the system, you know that? Android uses cached content actively and runs better with full memory. You definitely need a manual how to use Android.

Are we talking about Android ICS and below? Because you have to compare it to BBOS, not BB10. What's your experience with JellyBean, KitKat and Lollipop? Any with iOS7 or iOS8? Any experience with quad-core SoC Android hardware? A8 Cyclone? It's 2015, remember?
    I used a Nexus 4 with Android OS version 4 and then 5. My friend used a Galaxy S3 with whatever version it was using. We both agree that the user experience of BB10 is much better. It is easy to navigate around (swiping) and feels faster.
    03-25-15 11:32 PM
    Got my z10 early 20s, took me all of 2 minutes to customize everything I wanted to at the time.

Picked up an android phone a little while later, holy crap was it complicated to do the most basic things. No built in apps, everything has to be downloaded, browser was a mess...

But of course I was used to my phone by then. So obviously it was complicated. The difference was the android phone was complicated every single time with tons of useless options that did nothing for anyone.
    Isn't that the truth,bought a galaxy tab 4 and man I have had it since before Christmas and it still does a pile of annoying junk, notifications, so many steps to do anything junk running all over the place I thought I closed constantly running low on memory android at least on Samsung device is an unwieldy beast of an OS, just using the file manager on the SD card takes forever, and forget about transferring songs wasted days of my life I will never get back with Playlist and trying to bring songs from another SD

Now back on topic

From my Zed30 running OS 10.3.1.2582
    03-25-15 11:33 PM
    You're welcome! Happy to help.

Posted via CB10
    Holy mother of god!!!! That's Mr. PG!!!!

(pardon the thread hijack)
    03-25-15 11:54 PM
    Holy mother of god!!!! That's Mr. PG!!!!

(pardon the thread hijack)
    Busted! I moved from YVR to YXS.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-26-15 01:28 AM
    I was actually having a conversation, placed the phone in my pocket and hit the button as I did so. Even if I was cut off it wouldn't have posted the content of the message without hitting the post button. The post button is at the top of the screen. That was a mistake I, inadvertently, made. Not the phone.

That was a good try though.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 07:00 AM
    OP...google word aptoid...then install it and load whatever the hell you want...I stopped using amazon,snap,google playstore on my z30...For the rest I guess there may be need for improvement especially with automatic keyboard popup. For example when I swipe up to unlock, why do I need to click on a password field in order for keyboard to pop up to enter my password? I think it should be automatic
    03-26-15 07:18 AM
    I just migrated to a BB Classic from a 6-year old Palm Treo 650. It certainly is a huge advance technologically-- a beautiful machine with lots of pretty animations-- but from the standpoint of functional utility/UX design I find it very poor in comparison. If I could go back to the Palm I would. Why is everything 5 - 6 moves away, instead of 1 or 2? Why can't I create custom categories in the contact list, and filter and browse by category? No categories for events in the calendar either. How come when I search for a name, then call the number, then go back to search for another number, the search field is still populated with the last name? It should default to blank. I was persuaded by the fact the OS 10.3 would run Android apps, and I have been hearing for years how many great apps there are, but when I go to the Amazon store I find a paltry selection of amateur creations (maybe the games are great, but I'm not a gamer). Why can't I get the "Alt" or "Caps" key to lock on? Why can't I set a recurring event for the last Friday of every month?

What am I missing here?
    IMO today's phone OS's are streamlined and dumbed down. I fully believe touch screen interface is to blame.

The Classic is cobbled with trying to do both touch and trackpad/kb. It works but neither is close to the efficiency of a Bold or Curve.

I agree with a previous poster, the lack of consistency inside the OS and UI is a large part of its inefficiency and awkwardness.
    fkornre likes this.
    03-26-15 07:18 AM
    On BB10 you have to know how to do things, the OS doesn't guide you. You have menu of a menu, on one app on left, on another on top, third one has same thing on the right... the whole OS is very inconsistent and the apps are mess because of no standard guidelines for developers.
    You must be joking, that’s not my experience at all. BlackBerry 10 has clear and comprehensible UI guidelines for Cascades apps, there is a dedicated space within every app for settings: it’s in the pull-down menu at the top, on the right-hand side. All of BlackBerry’s own apps use it, with the exception of the Hub and the browser (which use that gesture for something else). Most third-party apps I have on BlackBerry 10 follow these guidelines as well, only Android apps don’t (and there app settings really are a mess).

No default back button, no default home. Focus changes all the time. Example - you're on page 3 of your apps and open the Hub with a gesture up and right, then Back gesture (swipe up or to the left) sends you to the active frames, not to page 3 where you started from. This was fixed in 10.3.1 (I think), 2 years after BB10 release.
    What do you mean, no default back button and default home? The UI always gives a sense of where you are. When you’re within an app, the action bar shows you in which part you are. Either in the form of tabs or, when you’re diving deeper into it, a back button, to get back the ‘homepage’ of the tab. Swiping up will bring you back to the Active Frames. On the home screen you have the Hub on the left, the Active Frames screen in the middle and the app rosters on the right, each with page indicators at the bottom. To go the Hub you have to swipe all the way to the left if you’re on page 3, because that’s the trailed flow of the home screen. The only way to go to the Hub immediately is when you decide to break that flow: by swiping up then right, by tapping on the Hub shortcut or by responding to a notification. That’s why the OS will default to the Active Frames screen again when you leave the Hub, because it returns to the normal flow after it was broken.
    a_bateman likes this.
    03-26-15 07:26 AM
    So OP, what do you think now that some of your questions/concerns have been addressed. Do you still feel the same way about your BlackBerry? Just curious.
    03-26-15 07:52 AM
    I just migrated to a BB Classic from a 6-year old Palm Treo 650. It certainly is a huge advance technologically-- a beautiful machine with lots of pretty animations-- but from the standpoint of functional utility/UX design I find it very poor in comparison. If I could go back to the Palm I would. Why is everything 5 - 6 moves away, instead of 1 or 2? Why can't I create custom categories in the contact list, and filter and browse by category? No categories for events in the calendar either. How come when I search for a name, then call the number, then go back to search for another number, the search field is still populated with the last name? It should default to blank. I was persuaded by the fact the OS 10.3 would run Android apps, and I have been hearing for years how many great apps there are, but when I go to the Amazon store I find a paltry selection of amateur creations (maybe the games are great, but I'm not a gamer). Why can't I get the "Alt" or "Caps" key to lock on? Why can't I set a recurring event for the last Friday of every month?

What am I missing here?
    Okay, I think it's safe to say that even someone who had a Blackberry from 6 years ago would have a bit of trouble jumping to BB10 and its OS 10.3

I was still using a flip phone by LG, then transitioned to an LG Venus that was a slider. I am not a fan of the Classic but it did remind me a lot of the Curve. My cousin actually had a Palm Pre? I am probably saying or typing the wrong thing, but he had one of those around 2005 or so and when he got a BlackBerry it was believe it or not, quite similar at the time.

Getting used to a device that is years ahead of when you began using your Palm Treo, it will certainly take time. Some devices make you feel comfortable and some don't. If you like things about BlackBerry, look at their other devices and see how your interact with them. I too preferred doing what you do, but I was able to work quickly trying to understand these new devices of BlackBerry. I probably haven't said much to help your cause, BlackBerry's focus to me has never been about games, always about production and moving forward while staying grounded and secure. Locking the ALT or CAPS all you do is hold down the key for a short-while and they should change to capital mode?

I haven't used a keyboard BB in well... nearly 5 years but I would assume it hasn't changed?

Anyone else that could confirm this?
    03-26-15 08:07 AM
    Some people prefer to live in the past, and that is ok i still have my sony beta machine .
    03-26-15 09:01 AM
    What? Cause few fixable little details you drop the best mobile OS ever ?

This is the most biased, subjective and uncomplete opinion that I ever read. Go iPHONE or ANDROID and for sure you'll really cry painfully dealing with B.S mobile OS, disorganized, unsecure.. designed for Multimedia, games..etc and by the way wasting your battery in few hours, not to mention your personal time
    Last edited by pstrusi; 03-26-15 at 09:34 AM.
    03-26-15 09:10 AM
    My 2 cents I guess . . . maybe just because a phone is great for some doesn't mean its great for everybody? Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, Corvette Stingray . . each has their rabid fan base who will argue all day long about which is a better sports car, but the truth is they are each great cars in their own right. If you're disappointed by BlackBerry, move on, try something else, buy what you want and enjoy it; it shouldn't bother you if we like our BlackBerry phones and you prefer a different OS.

To the person who said android is trash and you have to download apps and browser is awful . . I'm not sure what device you're using or which flavor android you're on, but your comments couldn't be further from the truth. I love my z30, but I also have a Droid Maxx which I also love and carry occasionally; android is smooth, everything you need is there and customizable, the installed chrome browser runs great. Its a great device too, with pro's and con's just like the z30 has pro's and con's. Again, find what you like, buy it, enjoy it, and don't post threads questioning why we like ours.

Peace and Cheers
    03-26-15 09:26 AM
    Same on the keyboard BlackBerrys.
    While on the home screen, press and hold a key... say the 'v' key. When the pop up says the key is unassigned and would you like to assign it... click yes and set the key to launch an app or take some other action.
    Love this feature!
    Not sure when it was added... may be post 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    That is great to know-- thank you. Is there a page where I can manage all those assignments?

Now if they could make those hot keys functional from any screen, not make me navigate back to the home screen first . . .
    03-26-15 10:48 AM
    So OP, what do you think now that some of your questions/concerns have been addressed. Do you still feel the same way about your BlackBerry? Just curious.
    Good question, and I'm happy to say I see hope that I will learn to love it. As I've said, it is a beautiful machine and the OS itself seems to be excellent.

The deal breaker for me and the way I work was solved by finding I could get the contact "Groups" to work much the same as the "Categories" I was used to. A number of other things have been solved due to help here on CB-- thanks to everyone.

I am keeping notes of a whole list of other issues-- some trying to duplicate functions from my Palm 650 and some just BB itself-- and will post those to the forums eventually if I can't find the answers on my own. I'm considering doing all the Palm-centric ones as all one post-- is that a bad idea?
    03-26-15 11:12 AM
    That is great to know-- thank you. Is there a page where I can manage all those assignments?

Now if they could make those hot keys functional from any screen, not make me navigate back to the home screen first . . .
    How to create a custom keyboard shortcuts using BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.3.1 | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

The definitive listing of BlackBerry Classic keyboard shortcuts | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    bzavitz likes this.
    03-26-15 11:49 AM
    I would suggest that if you ask your questions in a more friendly manner, you will get all kinds of helpful answers.

I moved from a Palm Treo a few years ago to Android for a few weeks and then to BlackBerry and have never left.

It will take a few weeks to get your brain re-trained for a new OS, but that would be the case no matter what you switched to.
    03-26-15 01:22 PM
    I am technically literate (a web designer), I expected a period of adjustment, and HAVE been reading the Help files and searching online and asking at several associated phone stores. Gradually getting some answers, but it was slow going,

I had built up quite a level of frustration, as you can probably tell, and I think the main contributor was that the basic questions were not being answered by staff at the (Bell) phone stores, so it looked like I couldn't do many things with the phone I wanted to. The answers here have been extremely helpful-- I just didn't realize that the people who sold me the phone would be so unfamiliar with it ;->
    "I see you're looking at a Blackberry, sir. Fine device for your needs amongst the Androids and iPhones. I'd be happy to sell you one! Have you seen the power and advantage of the BB10 OS? Let me give you a demo!" -said no phone rep EVER. Lol.
    fkornre and ALToronto like this.
    03-26-15 01:49 PM

This is awesome-- and the first thing that I've found that is superior to the Palm in terms of functional utility. Great feature!!
    Last edited by bzavitz; 03-26-15 at 03:02 PM.
    03-26-15 02:47 PM

What am I missing here?
    BlackBerry is great to some people. Maybe it's just not for you. Give it some more time and if you still don't like it, move on to something else.
    03-26-15 03:02 PM
    Coming off a BOLD and moving to a Q5 all while still using my Galaxy Android. The Q5 was a smack in the face for me. Highly intuitive and fast. It took me a week or so to actually understand how great but how different things are done.
    Once you get the hang of it, it should please you quite a bit. Z30 though was a game changer. So much I retired my Android Galaxy. Android nor iOS can't touch BB10.3.1 Yup

Sexy White Z30
    davisgq likes this.
    03-26-15 03:34 PM
    BlackBerry is great to some people. Maybe it's just not for you. Give it some more time and if you still don't like it, move on to something else.
    Quit Teasing us with your Z50 Forum Name lol. We are dying for a Z50 Ya know.

Sexy White Z30
    lift likes this.
    03-26-15 03:37 PM
    Here you go, detailed instructions on how to install Google Play Store: http://forums.crackberry.com/android.../#post11189556

I'll give you the tl;dr version here though:
    Step 1) https://mega.nz/#!kRUQDADR!vrsZyFxhn...8Ebv4CuZoZmRLE Download, allow, run, login with Google credentials, close app.
    Step 2) https://mega.nz/#!JFNhyDYY!eQH3F3gcn...rk6hzAg3k8wU9c Download, allow, run, register your device, close app.
    Step 3) https://mega.nz/#!IENwjZpD!Mj_SJ9F_U...l3g_PhjwmdklYs Download, allow, run. Welcome to the Google Play Store.

You can do this all from your device, you don't need any additional computer or BlackBerry knowledge, and it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
    Good luck!

I couldn't get any of the Mega links to work on my BB-- always opened a Bing search with no results found-- but I went back to the original Cobalt232 post and got the BitCasa links to work. Installed fine and store is working.
    Thorsten Heinsight likes this.
    03-26-15 04:09 PM
    There are certain aspects of the design of the UI and featureset in BB10 at a fundamental level that I think should be changed. Every feature of enterprise or EAS should be supported and have that as the way it works. Why use proprietary contact groups and calendar colors that only function locally? Exchange already has a standard for this with categories that is basically how the world does this. Same goes for tasks / notes and calendar entries. It's frustrating. I realize many people don't use exchange around here, but I'd love it if my BB10 device was basically a terminal for what my outlook contents are. That's how it should be as BB10 is already offering the features, just in their own way. It wouldn't have to change other than to accept EAS categories as a replacement for their own groups and colors. That would make me love the device much much more, that and if notes and tasks would actually sync properly also, which they never have for me.

That being said, I'm really mostly looking forward to see how they're going to pull off offering their software suites to other platforms. It's clear to me BB hardware is going precisely nowhere and if I can get the hub / email / calendar etc on android I'll get a S6 tomorrow.
    ALToronto and vbdwork like this.
    03-26-15 08:54 PM
81 1234