Yup .. being a BB10 owner .. this worries me .. We have to depend on other resources for latest apps
    If/when bb10 loses the android runtime might trigger a small increase in native app development.
    paulwallace1234 likes this.
    09-22-15 02:30 AM
    Run around the street naked shouting in a high pitch voice 'Thy has sinned'

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    kgbbz10 likes this.
    09-22-15 02:42 AM
    If/when bb10 loses the android runtime might trigger a small increase in native app development.
    It's nice to think, but I highly doubt it

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    09-22-15 02:43 AM
    Bb10 until the end. And then, Windows Phone.

Posted via my Passport
    09-22-15 02:57 AM
    I just hope that Blackberry will be able to put customization to Android interface to be near BB10 interface.
    If not, I will try to find the best app for that.

I already do it for other android phones, but the gesture of BB10 is soooooo nice.
    09-22-15 04:59 AM
    I typically smash all tech I own after 2 years with a hammer but I think this time around, I'd shun smartphones forever . No, I'm already running an over half year old OS on a 2 year old phone and that works for me. So no change for now but later go with the flow.
    09-22-15 07:21 AM
    I would continue to run 10.3 on my passport for as long as possible. If somehow forced to install android I would probably seek monetary compensation or at least end device payments if ATT would not take the device back. If all else failed I would sell it and end up buying a Windows phone or iPhone.
    09-22-15 08:13 AM
    I would not buy Blackberry's anymore!

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and TJ Strozier like this.
    09-22-15 08:18 AM
    Once my Z10 was no longer useful, I would buy the cheapest voice/sms phone available and spend the savings on a Surface Pro 3 (or 4). I can't stand using dozens of discreet mobile apps that don't work together properly. iOS is the worst in that regard, but Android is pretty awful, too.

Why use a hamstrung Mobile OS when I can use a real computer?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 08:33 AM
    It's not that I feel there are too few Apps for BB10, but I do feel that if BB moves to the Android OS, then App development and updates to current BB 10 Apps will cease or drop to near nothing. That will IMO, be the end of BBOS 10. To maintain it's consumer base, I feel BB will have to at least offer the option of moving the current devices to Android.

I don't need to hear "it can't be done." I'm sure if BB developers set their mind to it, it could be done. As many have already mentioned, it is done everyday with various OS updates and multiple OS's on PC's. Whether or not BB cares about the present consumer base or has the will is another question of course....

Upgrade to Android! Too few applications on bbworld!

Trimis de pe al meu Passport folosind Tapatalk
    Moroianu George likes this.
    09-22-15 08:39 AM
    To maintain it's consumer base, I feel BB will have to at least offer the option of moving the current devices to Android.
    This is what I hope for, and I can see reasons why they might consider doing it. If BlackBerry is going full speed ahead as an Android OEM, as seems likely, it's to their advantage to have as many of their existing users on the new platform, making it easier to let BB10 quietly dematerialize.

But we don't know whether BlackBerry Android requires special hardware to make it secure--assuming for the moment that it is secure. We know that BB10 is secured at the hardware level; we don't know if the same hardware tweaks will work on Android. If not, a Passport running Android will be inherently less secure than the Venice, and BlackBerry might well not want to let that happen. In that case, all pre-Venice hardware will be effectively orphaned.
    Ricktye likes this.
    09-22-15 08:51 AM
    BB10 is not going away.

The Venice is meant for business men and women who need and require the few Android apps that rely on Google Services and Google branded apps (Docs, Hangouts, for example) that are not on BB10. Even though it will be available for consumer purchase the Venice is not a phone that is meant for consumers.

If you follow BlackBerry news and happenings beyond their handset division what I wrote above is obvious.

Just hang tight.
    09-22-15 08:59 AM
    BB10 is not going away.

The Venice is meant for business men and women who need and require the few Android apps that rely on Google Services and Google branded apps (Docs, Hangouts, for example) that are not on BB10. Even though it will be available for consumer purchase the Venice is not a phone that is meant for consumers.

If you follow BlackBerry news and happenings beyond their handset division what I wrote above is obvious.

Just hang tight.
    BlackBerry 10 may not go away. I can still install and have Windows 95 running on my computer, but it isn't going to be updated or new features added. It may get patches, but that is it. What you see in the rumored but absent 10.3.3 is all you will ever get in the BB10 platform.
    09-22-15 09:03 AM
    If my passport could run get a software change to android(avoiding the word upgrade) what would I do?

In a heart beat I would change to android. Just before Venice leaks started I began to become disappointed with the app selection on bb10.

Some people claim apps are not a good reason to leave an os. I disagree

Back to my answer. This is why BlackBerry won't do a software change for the Passport. People like me wouldn't buy new hardware and then they make no money.

I could see them launch a passport for sale running Android, but won't allow old devices to switch. They are going android to make money.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 09:54 AM
    thing that worries me the most is ..
    who will make apps for bb10?
    all the latest app developers are choosing android and ios ..
    ?
    This is largely a numbers game that also affects WinPhone. The more people who come [back] to BlackBerry the more the developers would return, too. The irony is that with an Android BlackBerry developers would have even less incentive to "Build for BlackBerry". And anyone is nuts if they think developers are going to clamor over themselves to build for a capacitive touch physical keyboard.

BlackBerry 10 may not go away. I can still install and have Windows 95 running on my computer, but it isn't going to be updated or new features added. It may get patches, but that is it. What you see in the rumored but absent 10.3.3 is all you will ever get in the BB10 platform.
    How many times per year does an OS need to updated? If it were not for the leaks BB10 had what, three official updates in two years? That is pretty fast considering that both iOS and Android average about once a year (although with Android it gets a little strange). BB10 was not ready for release back in Jan. 2013, but released it was. Where BB10 is at now is stable and functional enough to the point where they can hold off on the 10.3.3 update until the end of 2015 or in 2016 when the new BB10 device is released.

Keep in mind that of the many things Chen has been saying one of them is something to the effect of "The best part about BlackBerry users is that they hold onto their devices for a really long time". Of course he is talking about the ~2/3 of BlackBerry users who are still on BBOS 7, but still, the proof is in the pudding. Chen sees BB10 as finally being stable and is going to keep it there for the time being.

But, as I wrote in another post: BlackBerry/RIM have been building their own OS and handsets for 16 years now. They also build enterprise solutions that are optimized to use BBOS/BB10 and BB10 being optimized for enterprise. BlackBerry is now officially a software company way more than RIM ever was and hands down BB10 is still the absolute best solution for end-to-end mobile security. For BlackBerry to give that up, to give up on their own OS, and to go to.... ....Android would be a total joke and they would lose all credibility. Android is cool from a consumer's perspective but for IT the platform is still the pits. Google brings in the best computer scientists and developers from around the world, they definitely have the brain power for sure but for what ever reason they are not securing Android, even enough to satisfy IT shops. That should tell you something.

Also, Android users are either staunchly Galaxy S or totally fickle with which ever phone is cool at the moment. An Android BlackBerry is going to be the hot item of the week, then, poof, lost in the sea of Android. At least with BB10 BlackBerry can differentiate itself enough to standout in the crowd.

But hey, if Google Services mean that much to you or anyone else then I truly hope you find the Venice to be the device for you.

If my passport could run get a software change to android(avoiding the word upgrade) what would I do?

In a heart beat I would change to android. Just before Venice leaks started I began to become disappointed with the app selection on bb10.

Some people claim apps are not a good reason to leave an os. I disagree

Back to my answer. This is why BlackBerry won't do a software change for the Passport. People like me wouldn't buy new hardware and then they make no money.

I could see them launch a passport for sale running Android, but won't allow old devices to switch. They are going android to make money.

Posted via CB10
    The Amazon App Store gives us roughly 98% of available Android apps. Some don't function as well on BB10 but that is Android for you; some Android apps run great on certain Android phones and on others they are buggy. The Venice is not going to be any different.

The "missing" apps are those Google branded apps and a few others that require Google Services. If GS is that important to you than just go get an Android phone and be done with it.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-22-15 12:01 PM
    I've decided on moving to iOS and placed an order for an iP6s.

Reasons for giving iOS a whirl

My entire family is with iOS and OSX.
    With both kids in university out of town FT/iMessage is so easy convenient and integrated with my iMac and now my handheld device.

BlackBerry with Android Apps running is not the direction I want to go.

MS Office 365 subscriber and now available for iOS.

As Chen has said, he will drop handset development at the drop of a hat if there is no profit.

BlackBerry is an enterprise centric company and appears to have all but abandoned the prosumer.

I can see BB10 becoming a shell for mobile OS's requiring better security.

Wish me luck but I don't think I need it.
    09-22-15 12:03 PM
    Good luck you'll need it lol

Chen did say that he would abandon the handset division if he had to but did say that it is part of the security ecosystem. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and this is why it is not likely.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 12:13 PM
    If it ever did come down to it. I would start using pay phones all over again. Android sucks and see for suckaz

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 12:31 PM
    This is largely a numbers game that also affects WinPhone. The more people who come [back] to BlackBerry the more the developers would return, too. The irony is that with an Android BlackBerry developers would have even less incentive to "Build for BlackBerry". And anyone is nuts if they think developers are going to clamor over themselves to build for a capacitive touch physical keyboard.

How many times per year does an OS need to updated? If it were not for the leaks BB10 had what, three official updates in two years? That is pretty fast considering that both iOS and Android average about once a year (although with Android it gets a little strange). BB10 was not ready for release back in Jan. 2013, but released it was. Where BB10 is at now is stable and functional enough to the point where they can hold off on the 10.3.3 update until the end of 2015 or in 2016 when the new BB10 device is released.

Keep in mind that of the many things Chen has been saying one of them is something to the effect of "The best part about BlackBerry users is that they hold onto their devices for a really long time". Of course he is talking about the ~2/3 of BlackBerry users who are still on BBOS 7, but still, the proof is in the pudding. Chen sees BB10 as finally being stable and is going to keep it there for the time being.

But, as I wrote in another post: BlackBerry/RIM have been building their own OS and handsets for 16 years now. They also build enterprise solutions that are optimized to use BBOS/BB10 and BB10 being optimized for enterprise. BlackBerry is now officially a software company way more than RIM ever was and hands down BB10 is still the absolute best solution for end-to-end mobile security. For BlackBerry to give that up, to give up on their own OS, and to go to.... ....Android would be a total joke and they would lose all credibility. Android is cool from a consumer's perspective but for IT the platform is still the pits. Google brings in the best computer scientists and developers from around the world, they definitely have the brain power for sure but for what ever reason they are not securing Android, even enough to satisfy IT shops. That should tell you something.

Also, Android users are either staunchly Galaxy S or totally fickle with which ever phone is cool at the moment. An Android BlackBerry is going to be the hot item of the week, then, poof, lost in the sea of Android. At least with BB10 BlackBerry can differentiate itself enough to standout in the crowd.

But hey, if Google Services mean that much to you or anyone else then I truly hope you find the Venice to be the device for you.

The Amazon App Store gives us roughly 98% of available Android apps. Some don't function as well on BB10 but that is Android for you; some Android apps run great on certain Android phones and on others they are buggy. The Venice is not going to be any different.

The "missing" apps are those Google branded apps and a few others that require Google Services. If GS is that important to you than just go get an Android phone and be done with it.
    Amazon app store does not give 98 percent. Not even close. It doesn't have clash of clans, boom beach, netflix, Facebook just to name a few. I have put way more apps on via snap than amazon.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 01:59 PM
    If they force-backported Android to current BB10 devices, I would start a class-action suit. I've already talked to a lawyer about it.

Richard
    09-22-15 10:27 PM
    Never buy a Blackberry again!

Posted via CB10
    sergio_can likes this.
    09-23-15 12:10 AM
    I'd stay with my BB10 devices till they break and then jump to windows phone if they turn out ditching it fully for analdroid. Which I doubt very much. Business-wise, I don't think they are that stupid.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 on Telkomsel Network
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 09-23-15 at 12:28 AM.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    09-23-15 12:18 AM
    Having used every platform none of them give me the versatility of bb10. I would be hard pressed to get Into an android that doesn't have the features bb10 has including the ease of use of using my phone as a mobile flash drive. I know android can do it too but it's not as easy and I have yet to see one reliably handle data and play mkv video files seemlessly.

I can't see myself using an IPhone, I HATE devices that have the mentality of everything having to be proprietary meaning, no mp3 files it has to be aac, not mkv it's something else. That's a lot time spent converting my music and videos I transfer to my phone which I transfer straight across to my Z10 perfectly no problem. And the fact that you can't have a memory card for extra space. I'm using 45gb of my 64gb chip right now and unless you get an ultra high end iPhone even if you do, you have to use the iTunes software which has the worst data transfer userface known to man. Why can't you just tell your phone "hey your connected to the computer, look I see you on the computer, there's the files I need, done"

Windows phone was the worst experience I ever had, and androids don't give me the kind of control I like. I'm different for sure, I like super simple to the point, I don't like 50 distractions otherwise I'll be the laziest person, crackberry.com is distracting enough as it is

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and amclanejr like this.
    09-23-15 01:51 AM
    So if it came to bb10 going away I would just invest in Z30s or classics and call it good, but I highly doubt John Chen will discontinue bb10, he has a love for BlackBerry and is doing what he can to save it. What I can't stand about people on this forum is they read into something he says and get something totally blown out of proportion, either you have no idea how business works or realize that blackberry isn't going away from smart phones they are having their hands in multiple areas for sales and revenue. That's GREAT!! I hope they don't sit here stuck on path of making money only at smart phones. They can do that too and other things as well.

I think you people can all use a little PATIENCE, it took Sybase several years to turn around. Chen has been at it what now 18 months? Give the guy a break, he's done an excellent job so far, I dare you to be in his shoes, he didn't have to take this job, if anyone of you were in his shoes I'm sure this company would have been sold off and broken up into 100 pieces, so everybody go to a yoga class and blow off some steam, be patient and be grateful for what you have

Posted via CB10
    amclanejr likes this.
    09-23-15 01:57 AM
    I could see them selling passports with android. But I do not see them making old passports run it. They want cash upgrades

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 04:17 AM
94 1234