Subset question. If bb10 support is pulled will passport classic andz10 phones still work. (my existing phones)

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 04:17 PM
    Ermm yes of course they will.
    03-24-16 04:23 PM
    of course they will
    03-24-16 04:24 PM
    Hmm. That's very good question

It should be no issues at all, but we should remember the wifi issue which happened in 2013 or 2014 if. I remember.

Bbry servers were down and wifi had issues to connect to internet as apparently it was somehow connected with bbry servers.

Now, I hope this was fixed...

CB10 on PP SE in UK on 3
    Nikola Stojic likes this.
    03-24-16 04:36 PM
    If Microsoft goes out of business will my laptop stop working?
    If Boeing goes out of business will their airplanes still fly?
    If Whirlpool goes out of business will my washer and dryer still work?

Lol sorry I had to :P

Technically your phone (calls, texts, voice mail) should work until the battery conks out, but yes it is a sad thing to consider.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 04:36 PM
    BlackBerry isn't going bankrupt.
    They will get bought out well before that happens. Canadian government may even step in and bail them out.

But then again it is a remote possibility. Go bankrupt to protect yourself from creditors and then the sharks start the feeding frenzy knowing they can get BlackBerry cheap.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 04:44 PM
    Actually my original question was rhetorical. My real question is, since our blackberry phones will continue to work. And will continue to work without new bb10 updates. Who cares if BB go out of business? I have a passport. None of the 20 or 30 pre-installed apps haven't been updated thru bbworld for around a year. There has been no os update on the passport in around 6 months or more. From what I have read the 1 or 2 bb10 updates that chen has promised in the next year will be superficial. So why bother? From what I read there will be no new upgrades to the passport. There will be no new phone that isn't built for android. So since blackberry isn't gonna do any upgrades updates or improvements anyway for bb10. And our phones will still work? Who cares? I don't anymore. I detest Chen and the fools who run blackberry for driving it in the ground. So whole cares anymore.? I dont care no more and actually hope it happens soon so to be able to move on.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 04:54 PM
    You really do not read the news eh?! BlackBerry is not going out of business.

Posted via CB10
    Irish Blues likes this.
    03-24-16 05:02 PM
    It will work, but will be out of date. How many people with flip phones do you see? Last decade. Yeah I will keep and use mine, even as a souvenir/workstation/game station. Meh
    I MAY buy another Passport, just to have, but idk.

Dark hub? LOL

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 05:09 PM
    There are still people using Palm still. Hope that answers your question.
    azdesertrose77 likes this.
    03-24-16 06:04 PM
    Will the phone continue to work? Hmm, depends on what your definition of "work" is.

Will Blend work? Probably over WiFi or usb but maybe not over the Internet. I don't know.

Will BBM work? No, uses their servers.

Will BlackBerry Protect work? No, uses their servers.

What about unlocking a lost phone over blackberry id? What if someone locks you out of your phone and you enabled the anti theft feature? I don't know the answer but it seems like you would have a bricked phone with no means to unlock.

What works without blackberry id? Many features don't work without it.. what about email accounts? I thought you had to login with a blackberry id to use, not sure what happens if their servers go offline and you never logout or need to re-authenticate.

Will BlackBerry World work? No, uses their servers. No new blackberry apps or updates for any security issues an app (except for side loading). If the apps have to be signed by BlackBerry, maybe no more bar files at all?

If you have an OS7 phone, will Internet work? The phones use BIS (or BES) servers to provide data services. I believe these are run by the wireless provider, but will it still work? I would say probably but don't know for sure.

Now the same thing is probably true with Apple, Google, and Microsoft phones as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 07:10 PM
    BlackBerry has their hands in too many things to go bankrupt, that's not something anyone is worried about.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 09:00 PM
    A serious question without serious thought behind it. BlackBerry has a ton of cash and with most world governments running on it it will not likely disappear but be absorbed by Google.

Posted via my Z30 Droidberry.
    03-25-16 02:45 PM
    Hmm. That's very good question

It should be no issues at all, but we should remember the wifi issue which happened in 2013 or 2014 if. I remember.

Bbry servers were down and wifi had issues to connect to internet as apparently it was somehow connected with bbry servers.

Now, I hope this was fixed...

CB10 on PP SE in UK on 3
    Reminds me also that there was a case where BB10 devices had trouble with automatic rotation because this had something to do with BBRY servers malfunctioning. It's really obscure and unexpected.
    03-25-16 03:50 PM
    They will shut down the servers, no more blackberry world. You can't download apps from the blackberry world anymore, which is by far the only way you can download blackberry 10 native apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 03:58 PM
    Subset question. If bb10 support is pulled will passport classic andz10 phones still work. (my existing phones)

Posted via CB10
    Not entirely actually no.

Blend relies on BlackBerry infrastructure for one... and there is undoubtedly other stuff, so 'work' will be a diminishing thing, although that's pretty much already the case now.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 08:19 PM
    OR:
    seriously... in what world are you living?
    will your car stop dead in the middle of the road just because the manufacturer of it no longer exist?
    will your TV go dead just because the company who makes this a few years ago burns down?
    are your fashion trainers fall apart just because they are out of fashion?
    guess so...
    LOL...

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    03-26-16 03:37 AM
    OR:
    seriously... in what world are you living?
    will your car stop dead in the middle of the road just because the manufacturer of it no longer exist?
    will your TV go dead just because the company who makes this a few years ago burns down?
    are your fashion trainers fall apart just because they are out of fashion?
    guess so...
    LOL...

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    This seems like a fairly strange answer. I think OP clarified a bit his question, that it was more rhetorical in nature. So the phone will continue to work, but at what proficiency? Quite frankly, if all the services that other posters mentioned go down, I would stop using my Z30 as my primary device. Not trying to be superficial, but why force yourself to use a phone that only works at 60%. Similar to my PlayBook. Enjoyed it, but it gets outdated fast without support.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    03-26-16 10:56 AM
    Tbh I think your examples are not the best ones... neither a car, nor plane nor washer machine is connected to the manufacturer... but a phone is... so the answer to his question isn't as simple...

If Microsoft goes out of business will my laptop stop working?
    If Boeing goes out of business will their airplanes still fly?
    If Whirlpool goes out of business will my washer and dryer still work?

Lol sorry I had to :P

Technically your phone (calls, texts, voice mail) should work until the battery conks out, but yes it is a sad thing to consider.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 11:45 AM
    If BlackBerry goes kaput, any BlackBerry services go as well.

No BlackBerry World, no updates, no NOC (bye bye BIS and BBM), at least.

I do remember that the proximity sensor required server connection for some reason, so that would go too, as would any other service that requires a BlackBerry server. Maybe WiFi?

http://www.crackberry.com/yesterdays...pt-server-data
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-26-16 12:01 PM
    Tbh I think your examples are not the best ones... neither a car, nor plane nor washer machine is connected to the manufacturer... but a phone is... so the answer to his question isn't as simple...

Posted via CB10
    Actually, Windows is connected to MS via backdoors and other ways so who knows what will happen to Windows functionality. Esp. when you login to Windows using your MS account.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    03-27-16 12:07 AM
    BlackBerry will be acquired by Proctor &Gamble so bb10 will appear in wifi enabled bars of soap...

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 01:05 AM
    True... so the window example is a good one... my point is that some replies to the OP question were too superficial but there is a real loss of functionality if BlackBerry goes under...

Actually, Windows is connected to MS via backdoors and other ways so who knows what will happen to Windows functionality. Esp. when you login to Windows using your MS account.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 08:10 AM
    I think BB Maps would stop working too, since the contract with TomTom for traffic data would be nullified.
    03-27-16 08:18 AM
    Actually my original question was rhetorical. My real question is, since our blackberry phones will continue to work. And will continue to work without new bb10 updates. Who cares if BB go out of business? I have a passport. None of the 20 or 30 pre-installed apps haven't been updated thru bbworld for around a year. There has been no os update on the passport in around 6 months or more. From what I have read the 1 or 2 bb10 updates that chen has promised in the next year will be superficial. So why bother? From what I read there will be no new upgrades to the passport. There will be no new phone that isn't built for android. So since blackberry isn't gonna do any upgrades updates or improvements anyway for bb10. And our phones will still work? Who cares? I don't anymore. I detest Chen and the fools who run blackberry for driving it in the ground. So whole cares anymore.? I dont care no more and actually hope it happens soon so to be able to move on.

Posted via CB10
    Go get therapy. You are over the top.

Posted via CB10
    azdesertrose77 likes this.
    03-30-16 12:58 AM
34 12