02-09-17 07:57 AM
72 123
tools
    Maybe a naive question, but because I don't know much about it:

WHY do app developers have to KEEP supporting an app? Do they have to pay for their app to be in the stores? Or is it security maintance?

What if an app works perfectly how it is? Does it still need any kind of support and if yes, what kind of?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 09:21 AM
    Maybe a naive question, but because I don't know much about it:

WHY do app developers have to KEEP supporting an app? Do they have to pay for their app to be in the stores? Or is it security maintance?

What if an app works perfectly how it is? Does it still need any kind of support and if yes, what kind of?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Because most apps are not static and in time devs add new features to said apps. These new features will in time become incompatible with the old version of the app.
    02-05-17 10:15 AM
    Because an app working perfectly in perpetuity is nearly impossible?

If the OS changes some library in an update, or a server goes offline, or if a new device comes out that's incompatible with the app, or if there's a bug this supposedly infallible developer overlooked, then you'd prefer a developer who isn't off hibernating somewhere.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    02-05-17 10:18 AM
    Because an app working perfectly in perpetuity is nearly impossible?

If the OS changes some library in an update, or a server goes offline, or if a new device comes out that's incompatible with the app, or if there's a bug this supposedly infallible developer overlooked, then you'd prefer a developer who isn't off hibernating somewhere.
    Adobe Air apps from 2013 FTW!
    StephanieMaks and ppeters914 like this.
    02-05-17 10:22 AM
    Buy her a cheap used iOS device or even a new Android device. Your restrictions are self imposed.

Posted via CB10
    of course, all the guys and gals cry out for BB10 have the same choice. Agree with you on self imposed restriction - if you live on 25% of your original salary, the selection is limited, even for second hand. (that is why I will buy her a mercury - hopefully, lasting for the 4 years of university). Thanks for the suggestion.
    02-05-17 11:32 AM
    Sorry to hear about your reduced income. I still am of the mind that if you want your phone to last 4 years , a BlackBerry PKB manufactured by TCL would not be my first choice. Secondly, if the Mercury has a repair issue parts and service may be hard to find.

Still, you can never go wrong in giving her a phone that she will enjoy using.
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-05-17 05:58 PM

Many simpler, off-line apps will require little to no maintenance, because they aren't really dependent on anything else to work. A calculator app, a guitar tuner app - those things don't access anything that isn't already on the phone.

But most important apps require other resources to work - tons of them require access to online resources (databases, cloud services, file shares, etc.) or off-device hardware. And these things are constantly evolving, with new software features being added, new security patches installed, support for older standards discontinued and new standards implemented, etc.

Why don't people still use Visual Basic 1.0 to code everything in? It was a hit when it was first released - but this is TECHNOLOGY we're talking about, and tech moves forward every day. Why aren't we happy with cell phones that just make calls? Why add text messaging? Or cameras, or GPSs? Everytime you add something, it requires significant software development, which means everything related needs to move forward.

How many security issues have been found since 2013? Plenty! And those need to be fixed, and sometimes the fix is to move to a whole new version of the standard. If apps used the old standard, then they either get updated, or they stop working.

The reality is that tech products are either actively being developed, or they're dead. There's really no middle ground.
    02-05-17 06:36 PM
    How is a mobile OS any different than say... Windows 7 on your computer? The day it was installed that's what you got. No upgrade.. none, nada!
    Just updated drivers to keep the system running smoothly and then various updates to whatever programs you had installed.
    I know people who still run Window 7 which is now 8 years old running on computers that it was originally installed on that are 9 years old.

No one's complaining about that, yet, somehow, while most of the world has no clue what makes a mobile device run, including this latest generation who are under the illusion
    that they "should just work" have, through sheer stupidity, decided that if they don't get an update, upgrade or download once a week the OS is dead????

Well, it's running just fine on my Passport for a "dead"OS! Thank You!!

OK... so maybe I'm not a team player, because, I don't spend my days playing games on a tiny little toy.
    I play in Virtual reality on a 60 in' 3D HDTV. And my friends have whatever mobile devices work best for them..
    And by age 11 we were playing games like Ice hockey, Lacrosse and soccer.

Of course around age 13 we traded all that in for a bong and mexican weed and turned into multi-talented musicians which turned us into (dare I say) addicts for Peace, followed by the government's Acid tests which they hoped would show them a way to use it on there enemies, but backfired and turned us into crazed hallucinating far out long haired freaks even MORE intent on Peace and throwing in free love because ....well, BECAUSE!!

And to proof my point, that nothing lasts forever... The generation that dropped acid to escape reality is now taking antacid to cope with it.
    But I still have my memories ( and flashbacks!!)
    One point I was talking about a runtime update, as for the OS its fine.
    02-06-17 09:44 AM
    How is a mobile OS any different than say... Windows 7 on your computer? The day it was installed that's what you got. No upgrade.. none, nada!
    But what about Windows 10? Didn't that come as an upgrade and free of charge? Although if you are running on an old computer, it may struggle to run Windows 10.
    02-06-17 11:22 AM
    Win 7 had many updates and patches during its lifecycle, and unless you turned off Windows Update, you got them.

But a mobile OS is different, because even a laptop typically isn't used nearly as often in nearly as many different places (and on nearly as many different networks) as a smartphone. You can't carry around a laptop while you use it in any practical way, but a smartphone or a tablet can easily be used on the move - and you're often connecting it to someone else's network that you really know little or nothing about. The opportunities to be attacked are an order of magnitude or more higher than a typical laptop, much less a desktop that almost never changes networks.

When your threat level goes up - and it definitely does on a mobile device compared to a PC for almost everyone - then the chances of an attack increase and your tolerance for vulnerabilities should decrease. That's "Security 101."
    john_v likes this.
    02-07-17 10:33 AM
    Win 7 had many updates and patches during its lifecycle, and unless you turned off Windows Update, you got them.

But a mobile OS is different, because even a laptop typically isn't used nearly as often in nearly as many different places (and on nearly as many different networks) as a smartphone. You can't carry around a laptop while you use it in any practical way, but a smartphone or a tablet can easily be used on the move - and you're often connecting it to someone else's network that you really know little or nothing about. The opportunities to be attacked are an order of magnitude or more higher than a typical laptop, much less a desktop that almost never changes networks.

When your threat level goes up - and it definitely does on a mobile device compared to a PC for almost everyone - then the chances of an attack increase and your tolerance for vulnerabilities should decrease. That's "Security 101."
    Stop with the facts........Lol
    john_v and Ronindan like this.
    02-07-17 12:30 PM
    so call "facts" - sorry, couldn't resist...
    02-07-17 02:58 PM
    so call "facts" - sorry, couldn't resist...

i...seeeeeeee.........woof!
    02-07-17 06:17 PM
    But what about Windows 10? Didn't that come as an upgrade and free of charge? Although if you are running on an old computer, it may struggle to run Windows 10.
    Windows 10 runs better than Windows 7, even on low end PC.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 05:55 AM
    hmm, you guys just give me idea: may be BB should update the runtime and call it BB11 and sell like new window 10... charge say 50.00 each and upgrade for free within 2 years... oh, wait, chen have to hire someone on 2.5 year contract only (0.5 year to dev the run time upgrade and wrap a new skin, the 2 year support)... any takers for temp gig? (better not give to interns... it may run out of memory for the BB11- but buggy upgrade might keep everybody happen - doing it every month or so).
    02-08-17 07:47 AM
    hmm, you guys just give me idea: may be BB should update the runtime and call it BB11 and sell like new window 10... charge say 50.00 each and upgrade for free within 2 years... oh, wait, chen have to hire someone on 2.5 year contract only (0.5 year to dev the run time upgrade and wrap a new skin, the 2 year support)... any takers for temp gig? (better not give to interns... it may run out of memory for the BB11- but buggy upgrade might keep everybody happen - doing it every month or so).
    Sell off BB10 to a company that will update the runtime and OS.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 03:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    the gov possibly not allow. unless it is boeing or something like that...
    02-08-17 03:24 PM
    There is no company that wants to spend the money it would take to do that.
    02-08-17 03:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    If no one wants to even licence it, why would you think someone would want to buy it?

Of course, there are the other nasties like existing hardware and support contracts, BlackBerry's desire to move customers into BlackBerry Android, and all of the security issues.
    02-08-17 03:30 PM
    i dont think the message is getting thru....
    Yeah, will it ever truly do?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 05:43 PM
    Originally Posted by Troy Tiscareno

Hey Guy... Is this person actually trying to imply that we have his problems? I can't even find anything to begin to use as a starting point to correct these ideas.
    Win 7 having many updates and patches and the Drivers is irrelevant ....and you forgot to mention THE DRIVERS all have NOTHING what-so -ever to do with the fact that the OS never got an UPGRADE.
    The updates were for system drivers and for any software (apps) to keep them running. And a Patch was very seldom offered and were to fix a DRIVER.

While "your opinions" are interesting, if you would have simply let us know that these were your opinions, you would have saved the Dog and myself having to correct you for the sake of someone actually believing you.

If you're gonna assume to tell us 'Facts" be prepared to post your fact sheets that you selflessly went door to door to acquire.
    IN the meantime, if you want to be taken seriously, include that this is "in your opinion" and in "your" experience. The minute you TELL us this is how it is, we are obligated to TELL you how it ISN'T!

Woof!
    02-09-17 02:05 AM
    Originally Posted by Troy Tiscareno http://forums.crackberry.com/images/...post-right.png

Hey Guy... Is this person actually trying to imply that we have his problems? I can't even find anything to begin to use as a starting point to correct these ideas.
    Win 7 having many updates and patches and the Drivers is irrelevant ....and you forgot to mention THE DRIVERS all have NOTHING what-so -ever to do with the fact that the OS never got an UPGRADE.
    The updates were for system drivers and for any software (apps) to keep them running. And a Patch was very seldom offered and were to fix a DRIVER.

While "your opinions" are interesting, if you would have simply let us know that these were your opinions, you would have saved the Dog and myself having to correct you for the sake of someone actually believing you.

If you're gonna assume to tell us 'Facts" be prepared to post your fact sheets that you selflessly went door to door to acquire.
    IN the meantime, if you want to be taken seriously, include that this is "in your opinion" and in "your" experience. The minute you TELL us this is how it is, we are obligated to TELL you how it ISN'T!

Woof!
    I agree with you about updating mobile OSs. I think at this point it is just about marketing and keeping up with market expectations.

I think updating the OS to a new version each year is a remnant of an era where mobile technology was advancing very fast and the OS was just keeping pace.
    The latest updates for both Android and iOS have been mostly polish updates, with not so many features put in.

I was also speaking about market expectation. I think both Apple and Googler would like to not have to release a new OS every year, but if one does a release and another one doesn't, the one that doesn't will look as if it is being left behind.

But there are also some differences between how Windows (on PC) operates as compared to iOS/Android.
    Windows on PC has access to much stronger hardware than on mobile and are also not restricted so much due to baterry life. Mobile OSs have to balance: adding functionality to make it more like a PC, keep battery life good, keep within the limits of the current hardware capabilities.
    02-09-17 07:57 AM
72 123