I read the recent articles explaining the difference between BlackBerry (software) and BlackBerry Mobile. So if these are now two different entities and BlackBerry is not actually making Android phones, could BlackBerry (software) upgrade Android Runtime on BB10 (if they wanted to)? My understanding of the Runtime upgrade issue was that a company could not simultaneously produce phones that were forked versions of Android and actual Android phones. With the split, this does not now seem to be an issue. I also know there are the secondary issues of the display aspect ratio of some phones, such as the Classic and Passport; and the fact that large numbers of BlackBerry staff who were working on BB10 were laid off. However, I am intrigued to know if some of the older phones like the Leap and Z30 could now get even a slight Runtime bump to Android 4.4 or 5.0.

My apologies as I know there have been numerous posts over the last few years about Runtime updates, but reading the article gave me a (possibly false) glimmer of hope.

Cleaning up the Confusion: What you need to know about BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile | CrackBerry.com
    02-03-17 09:59 AM
    No there's no one left to working updating the runtime

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 10:01 AM
    BlackBerry still provides an OS that includes Google Play Services. They wouldn't be allowed to provide a forked version at the same time.
    02-03-17 10:43 AM
    The way I see it, bb10 isn't for the ppl who want art so even if they have ppl working on updating bb10, that won't be in the list of things to update, the only reason why it got art in the 1st place is to target kids but they found out kids still don't want bb10 so they will keep it up to security standard and if anyone wants a new version of art, they have to get a android.
    02-03-17 10:51 AM
    Android is open source up to marshmallow, right? And if BlackBerry stops support of dtek50/60, they would no longer be providing an OS with Google. So they could update the runtime, hypothetically yes? But they won't, because there is no monetary motivation to do so.

On an aside, what do all those Chinese phone companies do? Google is banned in china, so are all those phones using android Os's forked versions into their own ecosystems? Like Amazon, but Chinese style?

Google play isn't the only app store around. It's just most well known in North America, but there are a LOT of them out there.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    02-03-17 10:58 AM
    Blackberry (software) we still hoping to see what they can do.
    02-03-17 11:00 AM
    Android, android... There is no so much of blackberry to talk about it ! As a Priv point of view, no real or comprehensive over coat has beeen experienced or compare to others high end brands. Miles away from windows.
    02-03-17 11:06 AM
    Android is open source up to marshmallow, right? And if BlackBerry stops support of dtek50/60, they would no longer be providing an OS with Google. So they could update the runtime, hypothetically yes? But they won't, because there is no monetary motivation to do so.

On an aside, what do all those Chinese phone companies do? Google is banned in china, so are all those phones using android Os's forked versions into their own ecosystems? Like Amazon, but Chinese style?

Google play isn't the only app store around. It's just most well known in North America, but there are a LOT of them out there.

you can make Android phones that don't have the Playstore, the models for the Chinese market where the Playstore is not allowed illustrates this, but those phones are fully compatible with the Playstore, would pass all certification testing, and thus are not considered 'forked Android' to Google. The runtime in BB10 is intended to limit access due to security scheme and thus will never be fully compatible with Android apps or to Google apps thus will not be allowed for licensing.
    02-03-17 11:06 AM
    Blackberry software just have to find a way by do thereself a développer job on must have apps. Making thinks secure this is not mean not having access to. Microsoft have copy that message. And have probably the most secure appstore.
    02-03-17 11:16 AM
    you can make Android phones that don't have the Playstore, the models for the Chinese market where the Playstore is not allowed illustrates this, but those phones are fully compatible with the Playstore, would pass all certification testing, and thus are not considered 'forked Android' to Google. The runtime in BB10 is intended to limit access due to security scheme and thus will never be fully compatible with Android apps or to Google apps thus will not be allowed for licensing.
    So, by this definition, the amazon ecosystem is not forked, right? For what it's worth, I have been able to install and fully use Google play on an amazon device that didn't come with google.

What about cyanogen OS? What is that considered? It's defunct now, though.

Anyway, bb10 will never see any changes to the runtime, I'm sure of that. Happily, the system is stable enough for me to keep using until... well, whenever my passport finally dies. Could be a long wait.

02-03-17 12:12 PM
    So, by this definition, the amazon ecosystem is not forked, right? For what it's worth, I have been able to install and fully use Google play on an amazon device that didn't come with google.

What about cyanogen OS? What is that considered? It's defunct now, though.

Anyway, bb10 will never see any changes to the runtime, I'm sure of that. Happily, the system is stable enough for me to keep using until... well, whenever my passport finally dies. Could be a long wait.

Being able to install and use Playstore is not the only criteria for 'forking' and besides its not supported by Amazon. Amazon modifies its OS outside of Google guidelines. It doesn't support using a different launcher(you can hack around this) is a simple example.

Cyanogen OS has no such restrictions and can and has passed certification testing with Google on devices. OnePlus is one example of such a device.
    02-03-17 12:36 PM
    you all still think bb10 is a thing....forget it and move and your life will be better
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-03-17 at 01:25 PM.
    02-03-17 12:45 PM
    you all still think bb10 is a thing....forget it and move and you life will be better
    We have something special. You wouldn't understand it.

Posted via CB10
    Kommandant likes this.
    02-03-17 01:06 PM
    Blackberry software just have to find a way by do thereself a développer job on must have apps. Making thinks secure this is not mean not having access to. Microsoft have copy that message. And have probably the most secure appstore.
    Unfortunately, you have no idea the size of the obstacles involved. If BB DID hire a bunch of developers to develop these "must have" apps for BB10, how would they pay for it?
    Which app do they start with? These would have to be paid apps, which would then have to be offered to a SHRINKING user base to PURCHASE.

Just not going to work. If it was viable then they would have done it a long time ago, before they laid off all of their developers.
    02-03-17 01:06 PM
    Blackberry world gets new apps every month, it's just not the apps that you can sit around and b.s. And kill time on.
    02-03-17 01:46 PM
    Blackberry world gets new apps every month, it's just not the apps that you can sit around and b.s. And kill time on.
    Nor are they the apps I need for work.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    02-03-17 02:20 PM
    Nor are they the apps I need for work.
    That may be true but if balance is active on your phone, all work apps can be pushed through the cloud to your work space.
    02-03-17 02:35 PM
    That may be true but if balance is active on your phone, all work apps can be pushed through the cloud to your work space.
    Not when none of them are available for BB10.
    02-03-17 02:37 PM
    Hmmmm
    02-03-17 02:40 PM
    If.....and it's a HUGE if.....the runtime was updated - I would use my Classic as my daily driver. No doubt. I decided to get the Moto G4 Plus instead of the DTEK60 (price-wise, I still think Blackberry are smoking something whilst making up their prices). And you wouldn't believe the amount of apps i've managed to download and install and that just .....work. I love my Classic, but the out-dated runtime killed it. As i've said in a previous post - i've got a grade A quality (no scratches, no bumps, never been dropped etc) Classic which is being used as a nightclock and music player. That's a pretty sad state of affairs by anyone's standards.

Now. On the flipside of that. If Blackberry did update the runtime to 5.0 - serious question - how long would it be before apps required android 6.0 to function? Because imagine if Blackberry updated the runtime to 5.0 and then Google announce that 6.0 is the defacto standard. The mobile world evolves extremely quickly - too quickly if you ask me. I'd love and very much appreciate an update to runtime 5.0, but we need to know how long it will be supported.
    02-03-17 02:42 PM
    These are the apps that can be loaded
    If BlackBerry is different than BlackBerry Mobile, could Android Runtime be updated on BB 10?-img_20170203_134429.jpg
    02-03-17 02:45 PM
    If.....and it's a HUGE if.....the runtime was updated - I would use my Classic as my daily driver. No doubt. I decided to get the Moto G4 Plus instead of the DTEK60 (price-wise, I still think Blackberry are smoking something whilst making up their prices). And you wouldn't believe the amount of apps i've managed to download and install and that just .....work. I love my Classic, but the out-dated runtime killed it. As i've said in a previous post - i've got a grade A quality (no scratches, no bumps, never been dropped etc) Classic which is being used as a nightclock and music player. That's a pretty sad state of affairs by anyone's standards.

Now. On the flipside of that. If Blackberry did update the runtime to 5.0 - serious question - how long would it be before apps required android 6.0 to function? Because imagine if Blackberry updated the runtime to 5.0 and then Google announce that 6.0 is the defacto standard. The mobile world evolves extremely quickly - too quickly if you ask me. I'd love and very much appreciate an update to runtime 5.0, but we need to know how long it will be supported.
    First off, the question is moot as BlackBerry wouldn't be allowed to update the Runtime even if they had the resources to do it.

Second, the lack of Google Play Services is a bigger impediment to app compatibility than the API level. Also not permitted by OHA rules.
    02-03-17 02:47 PM
    These are the apps that can be loaded
    Not on a BB10 device.
    02-03-17 02:48 PM
    Not on a BB10 device.
    Ok , that picture is from the cloud console, but if you say so.
    Last edited by Ali Denver; 02-03-17 at 04:39 PM.
    02-03-17 02:51 PM
    You can look at the Android Dashboard which is updated every month by Google. You can see 4.3 and below are getting to the place where developers can target higher API and not affect that many users, thus you see more and more apps have minimum 4.4 KitKat requirements. It will take a few years before 5.x reaches that point.
    02-03-17 02:58 PM
72 123