Wouldn't that mean open sourcing QNX, too?
    At least what they could do is open source Cascades and the tools. Then release the custom QT code for BB10. Let others work with it and have a BlackBerry clearing house to sign the code for other platforms that support Qt.
    12-04-15 11:29 AM
    Sales have nothing to do with how good the technology is. There is more to the issue than just technology.
    Of course. But if it's not continually developed, it eventually dies as a technology too.
    12-04-15 11:29 AM
    Of course. But if it's not continually developed, it eventually dies as a technology too.
    Problem is that your graph associated sales with technology.
    12-04-15 11:31 AM
    Problem is that your graph associated sales with technology.
    Oh, I see.

I guess I was trying to suggest that despite how good the technology might be, there is no compelling reason to commit the resources to not have it "go away".
    12-04-15 11:43 AM
    What a huge waste of time and money if they abandon it. Would be such a shame.
    HP bought Palm for about a billion dollars and then put a couple more billion into trying to get their smartphones and tablets going. It all went down the tubes. Companies move on. It's the shareholders who actually take the hit.
    12-04-15 12:33 PM
    Actually the Priv shows that they have lost their focus on Enterprise. I am an Enterprise IT manager and will not be using BlackBerry in the future. They are falling farther and farther behind and a consumer (Google Services) isn't what enterprises are demanding.
    Well that's your POV but unless I missed something, there are way more Droids in enterprises than BBOS+BB10 devices all together. But if you want the top notch security, that's advertised - even built for : use BB10. [so back on topic :] And yes you can rely on it for years, likely much more than your refresh cycles.
    12-04-15 01:00 PM
    Well that's your POV but unless I missed something, there are way more Droids in enterprises than BBOS+BB10 devices all together. But if you want the top notch security, that's advertised - even built for : use BB10. [so back on topic :] And yes you can rely on it for years, likely much more than your refresh cycles.
    You missed something. That is not what I see in Canada. Most Banks, governments, law firms and other regulated industries don't allow Android. Android just isn't made for secure environments and anyone who uses it is risking the business.
    12-04-15 03:29 PM
    You missed something. That is not what I see in Canada. Most Banks, governments, law firms and other regulated industries don't allow Android. Android just isn't made for secure environments and anyone who uses it is risking the business.
    That's why I believe that for as long as BlackBerry stays in the hardware business, they will keep supporting BB10. It's the only way they can maintain that end to end security for regulated industries.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 04:59 PM
    Except that what YOU see is ONLY in Canada. It's really a "root for the home team" issue, not an "Android isn't secure" issue.
    12-04-15 06:21 PM
    What a huge waste of time and money if they abandon it. Would be such a shame.
    Sunk cost fallacy. Pouring more time and money into this won't bring back the time and money already wasted.
    12-04-15 06:42 PM
    Except that what YOU see is ONLY in Canada. It's really a "root for the home team" issue, not an "Android isn't secure" issue.
    You're both guessing.
    12-04-15 06:44 PM
    Nah.. Just check the coverage on Android and Enterprise support and then take a look at government/military and what phones are supported.
    12-04-15 07:14 PM
    Sunk cost fallacy. Pouring more time and money into this won't bring back the time and money already wasted.
    Vegas loves people who think like this.
    12-04-15 07:20 PM
    Vegas loves people who think like this.
    And investors don't.
    12-04-15 07:32 PM
    Another fallacy is that by going Android you are going to make money. How can BlackBerry make money when no one else other than Samsung make money (and they don't make a lot on the phones). They are pouring time and money into an already failed OS (Android).
    12-04-15 07:47 PM
    Another fallacy is that by going Android you are going to make money. How can BlackBerry make money when no one else other than Samsung make money (and they don't make a lot on the phones). They are pouring time and money into an already failed OS (Android).
    I don't know if they will make money with Android. They are playing at the very top of the Android market, and only at the top, which is a different strategy than the other manufacturers.

So if the Priv sells well at $700, they should be able to make money.

If it doesn't sell at that price, then it is time to stop making phones. That part of their business is over at that point.

But overall this Android experiment is much, much less expensive (in both time and money) than the whole BB10 thing, even if you just count the Z10 alone.
    12-04-15 07:54 PM
    I don't know if they will make money with Android. They are playing at the very top of the Android market, and only at the top, which is a different strategy than the other manufacturers.

So if the Priv sells well at $700, they should be able to make money.

If it doesn't sell at that price, then it is time to stop making phones. That part of their business is over at that point.

But overall this Android experiment is much, much less expensive (in both time and money) than the whole BB10 thing, even if you just count the Z10 alone.
    I don't know why anyone would buy a BlackBerry Android when you can buy them from other OEMs cheaper. This is an experiment and not a vision. They will be dropping Android in about 12-18 months like they did the Playbook and BB10.
    12-04-15 11:32 PM
    Blackberry can make money with Android smartphones if they:

1. Discontinue BB10 development and cut the fixed costs associated with maintaining a platform to compete with iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile.
    2. Outsource as much of the hardware manufacturing and design as possible to a company that will take inventory risk.
    3. Minnimize the security and privacy modifcations that are made to stock Android.
    4. Strictly limit advertising expenses
    5. Maintain premium pricing in the physical keyboard niche and avoid generic configurations like slab smartphones
    12-05-15 12:15 AM
    Blackberry can make money with Android smartphones if they:

1. Discontinue BB10 development and cut the fixed costs associated with maintaining a platform to compete with iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile.
    2. Outsource as much of the hardware manufacturing and design as possible to a company that will take inventory risk.
    3. Minnimize the security and privacy modifcations that are made to stock Android.
    4. Strictly limit advertising expenses
    5. Maintain premium pricing in the physical keyboard niche and avoid generic configurations like slab smartphones
    If they do this, what kind of company are they? They are just a company that makes a keyboard android device which few people want.
    12-05-15 06:53 AM
    If they do this, what kind of company are they? They are just a company that makes a keyboard android device which few people want.
    They will be the kind of company that focuses on making software to secure enterprises, manage systems in cars, and manage IoT devices. Chen has been saying this for quite some time now.

These phones right now are meant to sell enough to keep the company afloat until Chen, Watsa, and the board can turn this into the company they believe can succeed. Look where they are making investments, and where they clearly aren't, and you can easily see this.

This is the new BlackBerry, Ltd.
    TBone4eva likes this.
    12-05-15 07:03 AM
    They will be the kind of company that focuses on making software to secure enterprises, manage systems in cars, and manage IoT devices. Chen has been saying this for quite some time now.

These phones right now are meant to sell enough to keep the company afloat until Chen, Watsa, and the board can turn this into the company they believe can succeed. Look where they are making investments, and where they clearly aren't, and you can easily see this.

This is the new BlackBerry, Ltd.
    I see a lot of talk from BlackBerry and no follow up. Right now, they don't have anything that compares to the competition in terms of Enterprise, the car thing is getting competitive and IoT is still up in the air. And no one (except Samsung and they are going downhill) is making money on Android, except Google which uses the platform for data mining and ad pushing.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    12-05-15 08:49 AM
    Yup, for C-level executives, with high credentials probably.
    12-05-15 09:29 AM
    I understand the logic of the Priv (and Vienna), it will be probably the most successful BlackBerry device for years.

I also understand that any future BB10 devices would be more expensive than the current ones.

However, I would expect that BlackBerry approaches their key accounts and let them chose between either a new BB10 (appr. +$200 more than in the past) or Google Android.
    12-05-15 09:29 AM
    I see a lot of talk from BlackBerry and no follow up. Right now, they don't have anything that compares to the competition in terms of Enterprise, the car thing is getting competitive and IoT is still up in the air. And no one (except Samsung and they are going downhill) is making money on Android, except Google which uses the platform for data mining and ad pushing.
    I agree, but they apparently will be showing something on IoT soon. We'll see.

This is their plan. Whether it works or not is still very much up in the air I think.
    12-05-15 09:34 AM
    I also understand that any future BB10 devices would be more expensive than the current ones.
    The irony is that it would be easier for BlackBerry to sell a $700 USD BB10 handset to the fans than it would to sell a same-priced Android on BlackBerry device to the masses.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    12-05-15 10:02 AM
91 1234