Didn't really want to get in on this discussion because any sane person knows BB10 will never come back in any way shape or or form.

But, those numbers you quoted are based on RIMs previous horribly wasteful spending habits. Yes BB10 RIM would have wasted that much money on developing and maintaining BB10, but they were pissing money down the drain at a pace the world has never seen. Chens job was to come in and fire all of those wasteful employees and divisions. And he's done an excellent job at it.

If a competent and fiscally responsible organization took control of what remains of BB10 today, they could easily maintain and update it for a fraction of the numbers you quoted.

Not saying it will ever happen, because it won't. Just wanted to add my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of work required.
    04-17-18 11:44 PM
    I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of RIM/BB wastefulness and the ineptitude of their previous workforce.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-18 11:46 PM
    Well on this cross-country race, will bb10 emerge from out of the woods still in the running (albeit at a more modest pace in a nascent niche marketspace?

....of course everybody pays a fee for smartphone software...they're paying for telco access/LTE etc.....(that's both hardware and software)...on a monthly basis....so what's a little annual add-on for a security/privacy oriented OS with great work-flow design for whatever you do. You pay less if you are exposed and stripped naked (android), you pay a little more to buy some clothes (BB10). Sure comes in handy when winter hits, and even in the summer when there's no shade to be found.
    04-18-18 12:05 AM
    .....and of course the clothes come in handy when you are in less than idealized shape, and you want people to focus on your person, not on your baggage.
    04-18-18 12:07 AM
    I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of RIM/BB wastefulness and the ineptitude of their previous workforce.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think the quality or efficiency of their developers was ever the issue.
    04-18-18 12:42 AM
    To answer the question from the opening:

Assuming the OS would be brought up to date to be superior to iOS and Android again and keeping pursuing that, YES, I would gladly pay.
    04-18-18 12:49 AM
    Sailfish is nowhere near locked down enough for enterprise. It is 5 years behind in certifications of both Apple and Android.
    Improving security is on the road map of Sailfish this year.

Now that they have some governments as customers, they will have to upgrade security level rapidly.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-18 02:15 AM
    Are you able to run Android apps on the Xperia X? 'Cause last time I read about it, which wasn't too long ago, I read that the Android runtime was only available for the Jolla phones.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    For Jolla phones or official ports.

Sailfish X is full supported by Jolla, and so have Alien Dalvik installed.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-18 02:18 AM
    Apparently we're back in the "2 guys out of a garage on weekends" phase again.
    jakie55 likes this.
    04-18-18 05:44 AM
    Wow it's been a while but people still argue about BB10?

lol
    04-18-18 06:23 AM
    You'd need a billion dollars in the first year to get it going again, and about a half billion a year after that to keep it alive in a rather limited/basic way.

You would also have no Android Runtime.

You would also need a licencee, as BlackBerry would not want to get near hardware, support, or distribution with a ten foot pole.

So, some quick math. If you were somehow able to find 100,000 people, you would need to charge $6,500/yr/person for 3 years just for the software - on top of hardware. And that's just so BlackBerry can breakeven - which would be a dumb objective with this level of risk. So make it $10,000 per year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Can you explain the analysis about the one billion for the first year? If you want of course...

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    04-18-18 06:24 AM

lol
    It's never stopped.

There are, at any moment, at least two or three ongoing threads at a time in these forums with people who seem to "know" how easy it would be to just start up a developmentally dead OS.
    MC_A_DOT and ppeters914 like this.
    04-18-18 06:55 AM
    Well, in my way of thinking I DID pay for BB10--each time I bought a device with it installed.

If the question is whether I would pay MORE for BB10 to continue--the answer is most definitely yes. How much is the question of course.

Would I pay $1000 for a high quality phone with properly updated BB10. Yes, I think I would, and that cost is higher than most high-end phones today I think (which are around $800?).

Call me old fashioned, but I expect to pay for a product that I like, and I'm willing to play an amount equivalent to the value I get from that product. I've gotten immense personal value from BB10 products, and would love to keep paying for me.

CLEARLY I'm in a tiny minority on this however. Most people are entirely satisfied with buying cheap Android phones (lots people pay for expensive Android phones too of course), because...well, whatever reasons they have (that I don't share).
    dmlis likes this.
    04-18-18 08:41 AM
    It's never stopped.

There are, at any moment, at least two or three ongoing threads at a time in these forums with people who seem to "know" how easy it would be to just start up a developmentally dead OS.
    I'm not surprised tbh, Crackberry has always been like this lol.

Might just fire up my PlayBook to get some nostalgia haha ..............if it works.
    04-18-18 09:30 AM
    Well, in my way of thinking I DID pay for BB10--each time I bought a device with it installed.

If the question is whether I would pay MORE for BB10 to continue--the answer is most definitely yes. How much is the question of course.

Would I pay $1000 for a high quality phone with properly updated BB10. Yes, I think I would, and that cost is higher than most high-end phones today I think (which are around $800?).

Call me old fashioned, but I expect to pay for a product that I like, and I'm willing to play an amount equivalent to the value I get from that product. I've gotten immense personal value from BB10 products, and would love to keep paying for me.

CLEARLY I'm in a tiny minority on this however. Most people are entirely satisfied with buying cheap Android phones (lots people pay for expensive Android phones too of course), because...well, whatever reasons they have (that I don't share).
    Would you pay $10,000/year for the OS - provided you could find 99,999 others to do the same?
    04-18-18 10:06 AM
    Would you pay $10,000/year for the OS - provided you could find 99,999 others to do the same?
    No, I personally would not, but no one is suggesting a situation like that. Well, I guess you are.
    First--again you're assuming that this would cost a billion dollars--slightly less than what others have stated Apple pays for iOS per year. I'll leave that to others to determine whether that's a good comparison or not.

But clearly, a product has to have a certain user base to be maintained...no matter what cost. That's why companies make good products, market them and earn money.

I'm pretty sure companies accomplish that sort of thing. Either there is a viable option or there isn't.

I merely stated a price I WOULD pay for a given situation.
    04-18-18 10:19 AM
    Ouch, too much. I would pay for a reasonably priced subscription, and maybe more if BBM was on the web.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-18 08:04 PM
    According to the new Crackberry article Mr. John Chen might consider to license out BB10 for the new hardware similar to Bold 9900. In the first case the OS for the new hardware could be kind of a stripped down version of BB10, but you understand that if there will be a stripped down version, there is a huge chance to have a full version as well.

And as everybody is searching for the solution the right question might be, would you pay for that full version and if yes, what should be the price, because after all we do pay for our PC operating systems unless if we are not using Linux. There were 9 Microsoft operating systems for the last 18 years. So if BB10 was a paid OS would you pay for it? Probably that is the question we all have to answer.

It’s over, and it isn’t coming back regardless of what you pay.

Look, I love bb10 as much as anyone else ( if not more)., but why people continue to dwell on this topic ....live for the now !
    04-18-18 10:35 PM

lol
    Hard to kill a good idea, even if it's had its head pushed under-water for a while now.
    04-18-18 11:56 PM
    No. BB Android does what I need.

I have Google apps at work that I have decided I'm not going to do without and I don't see where I could go back to a BB10 that wouldn't have those apps.

Secondly, few of us pay for our PC operating systems: I purchased a Windows 8 computer and just rode through the free update opportunities until I got to Windows 10.
    Yes I would pay for a privacy oriented bb10 with a clearly delined privacy space and lock-down on my personal files. Android does not do what I want it to, nor do I like the way it does it.
    I do not like the data slurping.
    I do not like the potential for microphone turn-ons by apps at any time day or night - we used to call that a nosey neighbour.....and yes it is possible for apps to do this...maybe even google has experimented in this regard or other 3rd party apps. I won't allow Google home in my house, nor Amazon Alexa....and I expect my smartphone not to breach my privacy either.
    I do not like the potential for camera or video recording either.
    I don't want a snoop in my house or in my pocket. My business is none of their business, if I don't want it to be. I, like most people do not wish for the Kardasians to be my role models for life.
    04-19-18 12:10 AM
    Just imagine how much Zuckerberg changed his speech, and demeanor once he was in front of a microphone in congress and the senate. Not to mention putting a booster chair under his butt during the hearings (yes its true!). Yet his ilk is okay on turning the mic on on us 24/7. - otherwise 3rd party apps, google et al.. would have been user-selectable restricted long ago.
    04-19-18 12:15 AM
    According to the new Crackberry article Mr. John Chen might consider to license out BB10 for the new hardware similar to Bold 9900. In the first case the OS for the new hardware could be kind of a stripped down version of BB10, but you understand that if there will be a stripped down version, there is a huge chance to have a full version as well.

And as everybody is searching for the solution the right question might be, would you pay for that full version and if yes, what should be the price, because after all we do pay for our PC operating systems unless if we are not using Linux. There were 9 Microsoft operating systems for the last 18 years. So if BB10 was a paid OS would you pay for it? Probably that is the question we all have to answer.
    Though I am big fan of BB10 but am satisfied with the BBRY android . Moreover since going on android they have made good progress and have addressed to BB10 issues. @conite has given his valuable comments on possibilities which is self explanatory.
    04-19-18 03:58 AM
    On a tangent, if Chen really has said this then doesn't this mean that basically BB10 will live on after all?
    If someone really is going to build BB10 devices then it is likely that there will some updates and also that there will be an Appstore of some sort.
    04-19-18 06:48 AM
    On a tangent, if Chen really has said this then doesn't this mean that basically BB10 will live on after all?
    If someone really is going to build BB10 devices then it is likely that there will some updates and also that there will be an Appstore of some sort.
    He was speaking off the cuff.

No party has come forward - nor do I suspect ever will.

BB10 is already gone.
    04-19-18 07:07 AM
    As much as people like to say they'd pay up for the os I suspect far fewer would actually pay for it when the time came. Would I? If it was a really minimal fee, sure. Am I spending 10,000 on it a year? Hell no.
    04-19-18 07:19 AM
446 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD