Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but what would actually happen if BB 10 is no longer supported? Will we still be able to use our BB phones , only without future updates or it will completely shutdown, meaning that we would have to ditch our phones and buy another which runs under different OS?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 11:07 AM
    if course you could still use it. Just like you can still use Blackberry Bold with BBOS7
    03-13-16 11:19 AM
    Your phone isn't going to stop turning on, but as Internet standards and cellular tech evolves, more and more features and connectivity will stop working. The browser, already far behind, will work on fewer and fewer websites. Your carrier may reallocate their spectrum to frequencies that your phone doesn't support. Apps that haven't been updated will no longer work or connect to their services, etc.

It's impossible to know how long your phone will be usable for you - there are too many variables, but it's likely to be something in the 1-3 year range. Beyond that, there will be too many changes and you'll be too limited and will need to move on.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-13-16 01:24 PM
    Well... I can still use my Bold 9700 running on BBOS6 just fine. So IMHO BB10 devices will stay around for quite a while .
    03-13-16 03:44 PM
    Oh okay, I can see the point coming from you guys inputs. What I meant by completely shutdown it's not the phone, but the OS. So I guess when this should happen I may still have a few years before starting to get another phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 06:56 PM
    Well... I can still use my Bold 9700 running on BBOS6 just fine. So IMHO BB10 devices will stay around for quite a while .
    Well, "just fine" will really depend on your definition. IMO, a Bold doesn't really qualify as a smartphone by modern standards, especially with such limited app capability and the woeful state of the web browser. If you're okay with just having a high-end feature phone, then, sure.

I strongly suspect that most people who are using BBOS phones today aren't using them as their only device - most are carrying a "real" smartphone too.

Also, BBOS is dependent on BIS (or BES) to function, and BIS is being phased out by carriers already, though the bigger carriers will still likely offer it for a couple more years. Once projected user count drops below a certain number, BIS will be scheduled to be phased out. In the US, T-Mobile has already done so, and Sprint won't be far behind.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-13-16 10:49 PM
    The end of BlackBerry 10 will be when BlackBerry world shuts down.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 05:38 AM
    The end of BlackBerry 10 will be when BlackBerry world shuts down.

Posted via CB10
    Really, who is going to miss BlackBerry World?

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 05:44 AM
    When BlackBerry 10 finally turns out to be what OS 7 is now, it will still be usable, as my Z30 will going to be my backup device, and as a Mobile Hotspot.
    03-14-16 05:56 AM
    My Ericsson T39 is still working. Stop this nonsense.

 📱📶
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-14-16 05:57 AM
    If I can find a battery for it, I can probably bring our Nokia 3210 back to life.
    03-14-16 06:12 AM

I'm still using my T28 as my backup phone (love the tiny form factor!) but I wouldn't call Ericsson's handset business 'alive' in any sense of the word. Or even 'existant' for that matter.
    JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    03-14-16 09:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    People who prefer native apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 05:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    I remember when it was new I checked it every day for updates. It had them too. Eventually the updates just stopped, not long after Chen became CEO. Talking about BlackBerry developed apps here.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 11:01 PM
    Once BB 10 sees its end-of-life, I'll probably hold onto mine for a while. Although, as time passes it will be less and less appealing, if anything it will be a back-up device to whatever I get next.

It seems at this point, the updates have started to slow and switch over to typical end-of-life security updates and small changes. From what I've read about with 10.3.3, that is going to be the case and beyond that I'm really not certain what will happen. They'll likely either release a new BB OS which our current phones won't see an update, like with OS 7 to BB 10, or they'll just continue with BB hardware and Android software as with the Priv.

Either way, I'll still probably have my BB 10 device until that point, as with my BB OS 7 devices before.
    03-15-16 01:44 AM
    I remember when it was new I checked it every day for updates. It had them too. Eventually the updates just stopped, not long after Chen became CEO. Talking about BlackBerry developed apps here.
    The irony is that former BB users complain endlessly that the Priv (and other Android phones) "are constantly getting all these updates." They're the same people who complain about not getting any support from devs on BB10. Yet they don't see the hypocrisy...
    03-15-16 09:44 PM
    This is like the smartphone version of Cinderella - at some point BB10 smartphones turn into feature phones with web browsers.
    03-15-16 09:53 PM
    HI - my blackberry classic was stolen and I am trying out a friend's Priv. Can I transfer my Classic backup onto the Priv? If so, how so? I backed up my Classic on BB Link constantly, but am worried that they can only be reloaded to another OS10 phone. What are my options? Thanks-
    12-08-16 06:03 AM
    HI - my blackberry classic was stolen and I am trying out a friend's Priv. Can I transfer my Classic backup onto the Priv? If so, how so? I backed up my Classic on BB Link constantly, but am worried that they can only be reloaded to another OS10 phone. What are my options? Thanks-
    BB Link doesn't work with the PRIV or the DTEKs. You can only restore Link backup to a BB10 phone.
    12-08-16 12:42 PM