Is there any way to identify the runtime in apks?
    Applications like instagram, facebook and waze tend to abandon 4.3 soon?
    I want to get a passport SE today and that information is important.
    Many thanks and sorry for the English
    09-19-17 08:04 AM
    Recent Facebook and Instagram Android apps don't work anyway despite being compatible with 4.3.

You can use Facebook Lite or an older version of Instagram.

Before buying a BB10 device, it's safer to assume marginal Android compatibility at best.
    09-19-17 08:21 AM
    The best way is just to check out the minimum android version required to run the apk in the Google Play Store or other android app store where you download the app from. If the minimum requirement is 4.4 ( which is more and more likely) or above then it just won't work on your Passport. If you are heavily into the apps that you mentioned, there are workarounds but if I were you, I would not get a Passport at this point in time because the experience would not be optimal.
    09-19-17 08:24 AM
    The best way is just to check out the minimum android version required to run the apk in the Google Play Store or other android app store where you download the app from. If the minimum requirement is 4.4 ( which is more and more likely) or above then it just won't work on your Passport. If you are heavily into the apps that you mentioned, there are workarounds but if I were you, I would not get a Passport at this point in time because the experience would not be optimal.
    And it will only go down from this point. As of today.... 8.1% of Android users require a version of Android compatible with the BlackBerry Runtime. Just not much reason for Developers to keep their apps compatible.

Passport is a great device OP.... but it has a much more limited use than today's devices. If you just want to try it and the money means very little, go for it. If this will be the device you must use for the next few years, then get a product that doesn't have some many unknowns.
    09-19-17 08:32 AM
    I'm not an app consumer.
    My use is restricted to facebook, instagram and whatsapp.
    The smartphone running in its current state is perfect for me.
    Do they still discourage buying?
    09-19-17 08:49 AM
    I'm not an app consumer.
    Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite currently work.

Instragram will mostly work using either older or 3rd party apps.

The native Whatsapp will be discontinued in December, but with some effort and coaxing, the Android app currently functions.

Any of these could stop working overnight though. So if they are critical, I would consider other options.
    09-19-17 08:56 AM
    I'm not an app consumer.
    Yep, still discourage buying it unless you are willing to use the web version of Facebook, a 3rd party Instagram app and a BB10 version of WhatsApp that will be supported only until December of 2017. After that date you may be able to use the android version of WA, but no one really knows for sure. Just too many "ifs" here. I love my Passport and am using it now, but I don't use any of that stuff and very few android apps at all. Even the browser is getting slower and will only get worse.
    09-19-17 08:56 AM
    @brookie229, the only other thing this thread shows is that I can type faster on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ than you can on your Passport!
    brookie229 likes this.
    09-19-17 08:59 AM
    At this point if Facebook/Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp are vital applications you should avoid BB10 altogether. You'll either have to rely on Android apps or limited mobile websites. The issue with Android apps is the developer can discontinue support for older versions at anytime or an update can become incompatible with the runtime (this happened with newer versions of Instagram for example).
    09-19-17 11:13 AM
    In fact they are vital, but I would not bother using third-party applications as long as they achieved the basic assignments.
    It seems that whatsUP10 already sends audio, makes video calls and sends SD images.
    Insta10 just does not have stories ... yet
    And the Nemory studios facebook is also satisfying.
    Or am I mistaken?

Thanks so much for the answers.
    09-19-17 11:47 AM
    In fact they are vital, but I would not bother using third-party applications as long as they achieved the basic assignments.
    It seems that whatsUP10 already sends audio, makes video calls and sends SD images.
    Or am I mistaken?

We've given you our advice. You can take it or leave it.
    09-19-17 12:07 PM
    Or am I mistaken?

WhatsUp10 is an Android app, you'd be better off using the official Android app if that's your compromise (keeping in mind that it could stop working). With third party apps you're running into the same issue as Android apps, they can stop working at any time due to API changes. An additional issue is they likely won't have feature parity with the official apps.
    09-19-17 12:39 PM