I think having the phone go into security wipe mode after 10 unsuccessful password entry attempts is stupid. There should be an option to enable 2 factor authentication and have the owner or even BES Admin make a decision on what to do with the phone once an alternate way of authentication takes place. It's too easy to screw around with someone's phone and nuke their data (even young kids can do it by just playing around).

The phone should go into a locked mode after 10 tries and send out a separate email address or phone call to another back up phone number or even BES notification to an Admin notifying of the authentication problems. Then, the rightful owner can either reset the phone password or perform a remote security wipe or even turn on GPS tracking to locate the phone when it's turned on. Maybe even allow an OTA backup of some kind (contacts and calendar don't take up much data but media would).

There has got to be a better way than what's in place now and I believe 2 factor authentication is the easiest way forward. How else would you improve on this process?
    donemt and moyah8 like this.
    04-01-15 01:43 PM
    Seems like a good idea.......
    04-01-15 01:51 PM
    With the 10.3.2 update BlackBerry Protect and Device Wipe are 'integrated' in a sense and will work a bit like you want.

 Q5 / Z30
    04-01-15 02:10 PM
    Abouts young kids: it's a tool not a toy so keep it out of reach.

Jokes aside, it could be solved differently I agree.

But there is a lot of things to think about, others companies could block some ways by patents they own.

I think, even if the phone it is wiped out it still should be locked and stay unusable if you don't have password.
    Owner should have backup, in cloud, on computer...
    There are two types of people, people who do backups and people who will do backups.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    04-06-15 03:55 AM
    I think having the phone go into security wipe mode after 10 unsuccessful password entry attempts is stupid.
    Even if it is not 10 but 100, this limit will still be reach.
    04-06-15 08:42 AM
    To me, LINK is half baked and could have some form of remote desktop client installed to access the phone and back things up OR be nuked remotely if so desired. There should be some type of closely correlated "link" or connection between the desktop software, the BB Protect cloud service and the devices it's setup to function with. I mean the desktop software knows the serial number, model, MAC address, hardware and software versions used on the phone already...so if these things matched up, there is a good chance the user is the legitimate device owner. You could also have the program ask you a minimum of two preset questions that were setup initially that only the rightful owner knows the answer to each time you try to unlock the phone remotely. My bank does this now as enhanced authentication and it works great...

Furthermore, maybe LINK should mandatorily force users to create an initial backup the very first time once things setup and initialized with your BB ID? It would seem easy to me when setting up the BB ID that you have the chance to enter an alternate phone number and/or email address to use in case of lockout?

I would agree the phone should go into a totally locked state where it can't do anything but accept the correct password. But every unsuccessful password attempt should be firing off a warning email/phone call to your alternate number/address to alert you of the problem. I don't think the phone should wipe your data after 10 unsuccessful tries to enter the phone password or at the very least, have an option to toggle this off through LINK.

Anyhow, in my opinion LINK should be used in tandem with BlackBerry Protect to secure the device. I like Protect, but it would seem to me that you should be able to configure LINK to do basic administration of your phone remotely.

After re-reading my post here I realize my thoughts are all over the place with this post but it just seems so silly to be able to nuke someone's BlackBerry after entering in the password wrong 10 times. There is definitely a better way to handle security of a phone without being too troublesome to use. I think BlackBerry should seriously consider improving this with their software. It's totally doable and NOT hard to implement.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    04-06-15 01:38 PM
    It's not just entering the password wrong ten times. At five incorrect attempts you have to manually type the word blackberry. After two more failed attempts you start to get warnings that the device will be wiped. It's tough for a kid randomly mashing buttons to wipe a device. As for someone else messing with your phone, after more than four attempts isn't that just malicious more than anything?

The wipe is supposed to be a last ditch effort to protect your data from brute force access. While the implementation could potentially use a few more safeguards, I've never had a device wiped by accident.

Posted via CB10
    baarn likes this.
    04-09-15 05:08 AM
    Even when its been wiped by someone else screwing around! which will only happen once in a liftime it doesnt matter.
    Thats why you always have a backup of all your data. If you dont than your data does not matter anyways.
    04-09-15 06:51 AM