You mean keeping your data to yourself with the exception of the data you ship back to BlackBerry, Wolfram and Microsoft? Oh and then the folks they resell said data (actually, I believe Microsoft may be the only one that doesn't have a resell/share clause in their TOS).

Crap, and that doesn't even include the egregiously copious amounts of data your mobile provider gets from your device and traffic. Which they also resell.

And then the apps you may have installed. But we'll call that a gimme since it's to be expected.

Or you can keep hatin' on Google and Apple and enjoy your false sense of privacy.
    @JerryA: there are some data that you can physically store in a device without the need for a cloud, that was what I actually wanted to say. The San Bernardino ruling shows how privacy might be put in danger, even for a right cause (tracking a terrorist's misdeeds). Apple refused to allow the access on their devices, I believe they behaved correctly. This for the philosophical issues. For practical things, I believe BBOs is more practical Because doesn't require a cloud . Just that

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 04:03 PM
    Like a 600.00 Priv? A mediocre phone at best with a premium price that just doesnt sell.
    I am still bemused by the popularity of the Priv. It's expensive, buggy, and (lacking the granular permissions of Marshmallow) has apps like DTEK that are ineffective. Unless the primary reason for purchase is the PKB, I fail to see why almost any other Android phone isn't a better decision. I've come to the conclusion that the only reason the Priv sells at all is because of the appeal (almost exclusively IMO to ex-BB10'ers) of the BB logo on the back... which is kind of ironic in a thread that criticises iPhone buyers for being attracted merely by the Apple logo.

And, to be fair, there's no evidence that the Priv isn't selling. Though, as that evidence will come on 1st April, your statement is more premature than wrong.
    Jerry A, elfabio80 and kirson like this.
    02-17-16 04:24 PM
    I am still bemused by the popularity of the Priv. It's expensive, buggy, and (lacking the granular permissions of Marshmallow) has apps like DTEK that are ineffective.
    I'll bite.

I find the build quality excellent, and it feels better in the hand than any other Android device I've ever used.

The screen is second to none.

The software is actually bug-free. Since the first update, I have had absolutely no issues at all.

The BlackBerry launcher is better than any one I've ever used - and I've tried many.

I have dtek setup to notify me of any attempt to access my contacts, microphone, or camera. It may not have to ability to block things yet, but it's absolutely great to know what app tends to access what.

I'm not at all concerned that M is not right around the corner.
    02-17-16 04:42 PM
    I have come to love these threads. The real problem is that even though the OS is supper simplistic it would appear that the functions it is really capable of are beyond your reach. You pretty much said that you dont like Apple to begin with and you were kinda forced into switching. Here's a thought for you, 10's of millions sold vs A few hundred thousand. It's not the greatest phone but it is better than what BB has become. 2 years ago you would have been tarred and feathered for even speaking Android on this site. Now it's embraced. It's the new home of the Blackberry Bandwagon.
    this is true numbers do not lie. i absolutely love bb10 the OS alone is simply the best, but trying to get things to work is getting more annoying month by month not knowing if one app is going to work one week or not is getting frustrating but i will absolutely not get an android sorry, and yes speaking of android here was sacrilegious but now is embraced im pretty sure if bb made some kind of deal with apple it would have been "The Greatest Thing That Ever Happened".
    02-17-16 05:11 PM
    this is true numbers do not lie. i absolutely love bb10 the OS alone is simply the best, but trying to get things to work is getting more annoying month by month not knowing if one app is going to work one week or not is getting frustrating but i will absolutely not get an android sorry, and yes speaking of android here was sacrilegious but now is embraced im pretty sure if bb made some kind of deal with apple it would have been "The Greatest Thing That Ever Happened".
    I've said the very same thing myself
    02-17-16 05:20 PM
    speaking of android here was sacrilegious but now is embraced im pretty sure if bb made some kind of deal with apple it would have been "The Greatest Thing That Ever Happened".
    You may be right.

But to be fair, Android L/M of today is miles ahead and is almost unrecognisable compared to the Android (Gingerbread and prior) of a few years ago. Even vanilla (Nexus) Android has matured, has kernel hardening, and gets monthly updates. Google is now taking enterprise seriously with the Android for Work container, and has worked with BlackBerry to further enhance it with BES.
    02-17-16 05:21 PM
    You can't insult iPhone. It's more than a phone for its users. It's a statement, it's part of their soul and it's a way of life.

All Apple needs to do to advertise itself is display its logo. Mysterious energy radiates from that logo that brings in the punters, zombie-like, to buy overpriced phones by the freight load.

You can't say a word against it, but it's part of what many people ARE. It's not simply something that they use because they find it useful.
    That is just how strong and valuable Apple's brand is. It is a brand that is built up and protected very fiercely over the years. Meanwhile, BlackBerry well, just being BlackBerry, nuff said lol.
    02-17-16 05:25 PM
    You may be right.

But to be fair, Android L/M of today is miles ahead and is almost unrecognisable compared to the Android (Gingerbread and prior) of a few years ago. Even vanilla (Nexus) Android has matured, has kernel hardening, and gets monthly updates. Google is now taking enterprise seriously with the Android for Work container, and has worked with BlackBerry to further enhance it with BES.
    thats great it really is but bb is just somewhere right now that we dont know if in a few years from now they will be all said in done with phones which is what scares me right now.
    02-17-16 05:40 PM
    You cant reply to an email on iphone with an attachment.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 05:56 PM
    You also can't download files on your iphone when using the browser.

Or even when on BBM on the iphone. My sister asked me to send her some songs and for the life of her she couldn't figure out how to download it onto her phone.

Googled it confirmed this dysfunction.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 05:58 PM
    Posted via CB10
    theres an app for that How to Download & Save Any File Type onto Your iPhone � iOS Gadget Hacks

also if jailbroken it isnt a problem
    02-17-16 06:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    what exactly do you mean ? on my friends iphone he can send pics,vids or attachments thru the email app
    02-17-16 06:44 PM
    Like many of you, when I heard the rumor (or news, whichever) that BB10 was done and would receive only security updates this year, I was about fed up. Since a friend of mine had an iPhone 5s, and has been harping on me to "get out of the caveman age", I finally decided to give the White Elephant a try.

I should preface this by saying Android was my first smartphone, and daily driver for almost two years, so I know the Android OS well, even the newest phones due to being the go-to guy for family members when they need help setting up their Samsung Gallaxys. So I know Android is not for me (even if BlackBerry made the device). I could go into why, but this thread is not about my terminal dislike for Android, it is about the almighty iPhone.

Back when I had my android, I had a buddy who had a Bold 9700 and, long story short, after hours of tinkering, it was clear the BlackBerry OS was made for getting things done without all the foof, and I dug that. So, it was BlackBerry for me from that point on; from 9700 to 9780 to 9300 to 9900 to Q10 to Z10 back to Q10 to Passport to Classic.

And now back to the point. I had finally decided to take the leap, to join the enemy, to trade in my Montegue crest for a Capulet, if you get my drift. So I did. I scrubbed my BlackBerry Classic and sold it to some lucky fellow on Craigslist. No turning back... So I opened the box to this iPhone and, admittedly, I was already scoffing at the froofy floofiness of the packaging, headphones, etc. But again, that's another story. I start up the phone, input all my email addresses, other forms of communication and accounts, and viola, I am an Apple-boy, or whatever they are dubbed as. It felt dirty but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Initially, I was impressed. It seemed easy to enter info and setup new accounts and enter calendar dates, etc. And man it was breath of fresh air to open up the app store and know that any app I can imagine was not only there, but made specifically for this phone. So, for the briefest of moments, I was happy. But then two, week three, and week four happened, and boy, did those weeks of heavy daily use bring out the true colors of the almighty iPhone.

These iPhone people have been had.

The operating system in numbingly simple. The lack of customization compared to the BlackBerry is insane for a phone I thought was for the artsy hipster crowd. If you want a personalized ringtone, you better be willing to buy one. If you want to use any gmail accounts, you better be willing to use the old fashion "fetch" feature since "push" is not available for gmail addresses. For those that don't know, "fetch" does not immediately notify you if you receive an email. It instead "fetches" it on predetermined time-intervals, which also drains the already terrible battery. Want to pick and choose what email account a new contact is associated with? You better be willing to go into settings and change the default contact list each and every time you want a contact somewhere else. Want to designate different colors to display on the calendar for different accounts? Too bad. Again, you can't if you have gmail accounts. Want to set a default browser page that opens up fresh when you open the browser? Too bad. It only starts where you left off even when you x-out completely. Want to change any themes to be dark themes? Nope. Want to control your privacy on the fly, and quickly shut down your location? LOL no. Want to lower the volume of your alarm or change the snooze time? Not happening. Need to view a pdf attachment from an email? Better find a computer. Yes iPhone, you have apps, I get it. You also have a spectacular camera. Bravo. But I don't play games and I'm not a photographer, so I'm afraid your "features" are lost on me.

The iPhone OS is akin to a parent jingling their keys for a child compared to the BlackBerry. And now I know that. Now, though I did before, I can give a good chuckle when someone says "get out of the stone-age", knowing they have a very attractive appearing, and well marketed, inferior device. Well, at least for as long we have a BlackBerry Operating System anyway. I'll ride this train 'til the wheels fall off though. Just bought a Passport from BB last night.

What is it you regulars say now? Oh right, "Rant OFF".
    I'm not much of a poster as you can see with my post count but I am a long time CB browser and BB10 user. With all due respect to your post, I disagree with a lot about what you said regarding how bad iOS may seem. I love BlackBerry 10 myself and still use one for my business phone (which is the phone I'm on replying to this post). But I also have recently went from a Z10 to an iphone 6 plus used as my personal phone. I admit it was rough moving over and getting acclimated but after a week or two is not as bad as you make it seem.

I've come to the understanding that yes BB10 has more functionality built in and ready to use out the box but once you figure a few things out and download some apps everything is just as good or productive. From what I understand iphones are app phones more so than smartphones and when you consider the ridiculous amount of usable (fully functional) apps, you get to see how it can be just as productive as you want it.

I no longer look at the phone the same and actually enjoy a few things and there are things that I find refreshing. It's really what you make it. Again it's all subject to opinion and I understand everyone has their preferences but post like this is a little much. I'm still a big BB10 fan and will be for as long as it last. I just don't see the point in giving out false information about another OS just because it didn't work for you.

Posted via CB10
    nappalonia, valer466 and kirson like this.
    02-17-16 07:28 PM
    I'll bite.

I find the build quality excellent, and it feels better in the hand than any other Android device I've ever used.

The screen is second to none.

The software is actually bug-free. Since the first update, I have had absolutely no issues at all.

The BlackBerry launcher is better than any one I've ever used - and I've tried many.

I have dtek setup to notify me of any attempt to access my contacts, microphone, or camera. It may not have to ability to block things yet, but it's absolutely great to know what app tends to access what.

I'm not at all concerned that M is not right around the corner.
    I echo you, with my Priv experience so far. I got rid of all other Android devices we had for testing and Priv is now the only one being used. It is a great device and I have no issues at all. Rock solid, fast, great camera and an almost stock Android free from those horrible Samsung / LG / Sony custom look / feel / apps they do.....

I really recommend it for anyone that is not able to keep up with a BlackBerry 10 device for whatever reason.....

Cheers

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-17-16 07:41 PM

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10

Not true what so ever, yes you can.
    02-17-16 08:05 PM
    are you trying make someone happy? hahaha
    02-17-16 08:09 PM
    IPhone....."created" by the marketing genius' at Apple for those people who aren't good enough to use a BlackBerry....

Posted by BB10 OS...The World's Best OS!
    02-17-16 08:27 PM
    I see the huge benefit that Apple has over BB is the omnipresent word "ecosystem". While we can download ITunes easy on our BB10's, it's an Apple. BB has no TV platform coming out, or wearables (yet?) or the massive R&D budget to do so.
    While my SE Passport is a great device and communications workhorse, we are living in an app driven world and it is hard to counter Apple's App dominance and ever growing platform systems. Maybe BB can use QNX to build a BB ecosystem?? It's really about a company's whole platform and BB is not in the same class.
    02-17-16 08:41 PM
    IPhone....."created" by the marketing genius' at Apple for those people who aren't good enough to use a BlackBerry....

might as well throw android in there why stop now......oh wait
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-16 08:53 PM

Yes. That's TOTALLY an accurate and in no way antagonistic and silly statement.

You hit the nail. You absolutely don't sound like one of those 'sheep' you claim to be better than. Well done.

Al moon, Jerry A, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    02-17-16 09:17 PM
    Not true what so ever, yes you can.
    please explain how. I looked it up on Google that led me to iPhone forums and they said you couldn't without downloading an app.

Also the email thing. I knew a business guy that got rid of his iphone6 because he couldn't attach files from replying emails. He actually went to an apple store for them to show him how. So what they did was they would find whatever file he wanted to attach, then send it off as a separate email. At that point he got rid of it.

What he was looking for was:
    - open email
    - press reply
    - press attachments
    - send

Don't get me wrong.. iPhones are good. But they aren't the best at everything.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 09:32 PM
    please explain how. I looked it up on Google that led me to iPhone forums and they said you couldn't without downloading an app.

Also the email thing. I knew a business guy that got rid of his iphone6 because he couldn't attach files from replying emails. He actually went to an apple store for them to show him how. So what they did was they would find whatever file he wanted to attach, then send it off as a separate email. At that point he got rid of it.

- open email
    - press reply
    - press attachments
    - send

Thanks.

Posted via CB10

Could be worse as far as downloading goes just done thru 3rd party or jailbreak and do it right thru safari as far as emails you open email,reply, long press then select your file from the pop up
    02-17-16 10:19 PM
    [QUOTE=jallister;12269581]

The thing is some of what your saying is not correct.

-The iPhone can open PDF without an app, just tap on the PDF and poof it opens.

- Google forces ALL third party email clients to Fetch gmail instead of Push, in a way to get more People to use Google's Gmail app, like how YouTube cannot play in the background is a limitation Google puts on the YouTube app that they actually charge a Subscription (YouTube Red) to get rid of. Google Limits their services in some cases to drive people to use Google apps instead of third party app (like the iPhone default email client) or pay in the case of YouTube.

-The iPhone displays ALL contacts associated with any online account inside the Contact app. New Contact are saved by default to the account you set as the Default account (weather be iCloud or another email provider). I save all contacts to iCloud so I have no need to change it.

-You can change the color of calendars, change the color of different calendar events, and hide, or add different calendars

-You can change your privacy setting from the privacy setting section of the setting app including Location Services, you can turn it off, or change what app have permission to use your location.
    I Can't view any of your images unfortunately. Must be this damn iPhone lol. So I'll just respond per each of your points.

- This iPhone, running OS 9.2.1 on T-Mobile, cannot open PDFs without a 3rd party app.

-BlackBerry notifies me of new emails from all my email accounts instantly. So, whatever function they use, it does its job. This iPhone however does not, and only notifies me when it fetches new emails, which means, best case scenario, it'll check to see if I have new emails every 15 minutes. And 15 minutes is more than enough time for me to lose a side job offer because someone else was notified sooner and scooped it up.

-Yes, I know this thing displays all contacts in the contact app from all my accounts. My argument is, when I enter a new contact on the iPhone, there is no option to a associate the new contact with a different account if I want it somewhere other than my default account. With BB, if I have a new work contact, just select my work email and it will sync with my work account. Then if I need to enter a new contact for one of my side jobs I can just enter it choosing the appropriate account from the drop down. No need to go settings and change defaults or any of that silly business. You just pick which account to associate a new contact with from a dropdown while entering it and voila, it syncs only with the account, but is still visible in the contacts tab. Make sense? With this iPhone your only option is one default list. No matter how many accounts you have. Sure you can change the default in settings, but that is a PIA compared to BB.

- Again, you are correct. The iPhone does allow you to personalize colors on the calendar for all accounts EXCEPT for gmail. BB allows you to customize your calendar regardless of the account.

-Yup, you can shut off the location services in settings. What you can't do is set up to be easily toggled off like BB does. With iPhone, you need to go fully into settings, whereas with BB you can set it as an easy toggle with a swipe from the top bezel. That's what I call on the fly.

It would seem you and I are miscommunicating so I will try to be succinct here. The iPhone may have many of the features of the BlackBerry, but they are not near as customizable, expedient, or convenient as the BB10 OS to use.
    moyah8 and shakingthrough like this.
    02-18-16 05:15 AM
    The thoughts of a person who knows nothing about their phone, typical.

In regards to your Gmail issues, you would save yourself some headaches by, you know, just downloading the Gmail app.
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    02-18-16 07:06 AM

- open email
    - press reply
    - press attachments
    - send

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Well first I agree with you that the iPhone is great, but not great at everything, I am only commenting on post that say incorrect things about the iPhone. I am in no was basing Blackberry or defending Apple, I am just trying to make sure that we have a discussion no matter what it is about with the correct information about the iPhone (or Android, or Blackberry, or Windows).

Well for the email, what Apple Store did he go to, because it intresting that they didn't show him he could just tap inside the reply email box, he would get a popup menu where he would get the option to add a attachment, In the example below, I sent myself a message and reply to it with my resume as an attachment.

For saving things off Safari, its depends on what your trying to save, weather it be a picture, PDF, word doc (will need an app) iOS Developer Profile ect. something like music do require it be save into a app, somethings like pictures can be handled by a default app on the iPhone.
    Attached Thumbnails I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3519.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3520.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3521.jpg  
    02-18-16 07:52 AM
58 123