Like many of you, when I heard the rumor (or news, whichever) that BB10 was done and would receive only security updates this year, I was about fed up. Since a friend of mine had an iPhone 5s, and has been harping on me to "get out of the caveman age", I finally decided to give the White Elephant a try.

I should preface this by saying Android was my first smartphone, and daily driver for almost two years, so I know the Android OS well, even the newest phones due to being the go-to guy for family members when they need help setting up their Samsung Gallaxys. So I know Android is not for me (even if BlackBerry made the device). I could go into why, but this thread is not about my terminal dislike for Android, it is about the almighty iPhone.

Back when I had my android, I had a buddy who had a Bold 9700 and, long story short, after hours of tinkering, it was clear the BlackBerry OS was made for getting things done without all the foof, and I dug that. So, it was BlackBerry for me from that point on; from 9700 to 9780 to 9300 to 9900 to Q10 to Z10 back to Q10 to Passport to Classic.

And now back to the point. I had finally decided to take the leap, to join the enemy, to trade in my Montegue crest for a Capulet, if you get my drift. So I did. I scrubbed my BlackBerry Classic and sold it to some lucky fellow on Craigslist. No turning back... So I opened the box to this iPhone and, admittedly, I was already scoffing at the froofy floofiness of the packaging, headphones, etc. But again, that's another story. I start up the phone, input all my email addresses, other forms of communication and accounts, and viola, I am an Apple-boy, or whatever they are dubbed as. It felt dirty but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Initially, I was impressed. It seemed easy to enter info and setup new accounts and enter calendar dates, etc. And man it was breath of fresh air to open up the app store and know that any app I can imagine was not only there, but made specifically for this phone. So, for the briefest of moments, I was happy. But then two, week three, and week four happened, and boy, did those weeks of heavy daily use bring out the true colors of the almighty iPhone.

These iPhone people have been had.

The operating system in numbingly simple. The lack of customization compared to the BlackBerry is insane for a phone I thought was for the artsy hipster crowd. If you want a personalized ringtone, you better be willing to buy one. If you want to use any gmail accounts, you better be willing to use the old fashion "fetch" feature since "push" is not available for gmail addresses. For those that don't know, "fetch" does not immediately notify you if you receive an email. It instead "fetches" it on predetermined time-intervals, which also drains the already terrible battery. Want to pick and choose what email account a new contact is associated with? You better be willing to go into settings and change the default contact list each and every time you want a contact somewhere else. Want to designate different colors to display on the calendar for different accounts? Too bad. Again, you can't if you have gmail accounts. Want to set a default browser page that opens up fresh when you open the browser? Too bad. It only starts where you left off even when you x-out completely. Want to change any themes to be dark themes? Nope. Want to control your privacy on the fly, and quickly shut down your location? LOL no. Want to lower the volume of your alarm or change the snooze time? Not happening. Need to view a pdf attachment from an email? Better find a computer. Yes iPhone, you have apps, I get it. You also have a spectacular camera. Bravo. But I don't play games and I'm not a photographer, so I'm afraid your "features" are lost on me.

The iPhone OS is akin to a parent jingling their keys for a child compared to the BlackBerry. And now I know that. Now, though I did before, I can give a good chuckle when someone says "get out of the stone-age", knowing they have a very attractive appearing, and well marketed, inferior device. Well, at least for as long we have a BlackBerry Operating System anyway. I'll ride this train 'til the wheels fall off though. Just bought a Passport from BB last night.

What is it you regulars say now? Oh right, "Rant OFF".
    Last edited by IamFrankly; 02-16-16 at 04:37 PM.
    02-16-16 04:23 PM
    I'm trying to sell my Android to get a Z30. Hopefully soon.

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris, brian4591 and valer466 like this.
    02-16-16 04:54 PM
    Like many of you, when I heard the rumor (or news, whichever) that BB10 was done and would receive only security updates this year, I was about fed up. Since a friend of mine had an iPhone 5s, and has been harping on me to "get out of the caveman age", I finally decided to give the White Elephant a try.

I should preface this by saying Android was my first smartphone, and daily driver for almost two years, so I know the Android OS well, even the newest phones due to being the go-to guy for family members when they need help setting up their Samsung Gallaxys. So I know Android is not for me (even if BlackBerry made the device). I could go into why, but this thread is not about my terminal dislike for Android, it is about the almighty iPhone.

Back when I had my android, I had a buddy who had a Bold 9700 and, long story short, after hours of tinkering, it was clear the BlackBerry OS was made for getting things done without all the foof, and I dug that. So, it was BlackBerry for me from that point on; from 9700 to 9780 to 9300 to 9900 to Q10 to Z10 back to Q10 to Passport to Classic.

And now back to the point. I had finally decided to take the leap, to join the enemy, to trade in my Montegue crest for a Capulet, if you get my drift. So I did. I scrubbed my BlackBerry Classic and sold it to some lucky fellow on Craigslist. No turning back... So I opened the box to this iPhone and, admittedly, I was already scoffing at the froofy floofiness of the packaging, headphones, etc. But again, that's another story. I start up the phone, input all my email addresses, other forms of communication and accounts, and viola, I am an Apple-boy, or whatever they are dubbed as. It felt dirty but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Initially, I was impressed. It seemed easy to enter info and setup new accounts and enter calendar dates, etc. And man it was breath of fresh air to open up the app store and know that any app I can imagine was not only there, but made specifically for this phone. So, for the briefest of moments, I was happy. But then two, week three, and week four happened, and boy, did those weeks of heavy daily use bring out the true colors of the almighty iPhone.

The operating system in numbingly simple. The lack of customization compared to the BlackBerry is insane for a phone I thought was for the artsy hipster crowd. If you want a personalized ringtone, you better be willing to buy one. If you want to use any gmail accounts, you better be willing to use the old fashion "fetch" feature since "push" is not available for gmail addresses. For those that don't know, "fetch" does not immediately notify you if you receive an email. It instead "fetches" it on predetermined time-intervals, which also drains the already terrible battery. Want to pick and choose what email account a new contact is associated with? You better be willing to go into settings and change the default contact list each and every time you want a contact somewhere else. Want to designate different colors to display on the calendar for different accounts? Too bad. Again, you can't if you have gmail accounts. Want to set a default browser page that opens up fresh when you open the browser? Too bad. It only starts where you left off even when you x-out completely. Want to change any themes to be dark themes? Nope. Want to control your privacy on the fly, and quickly shut down your location? LOL no. Want to lower the volume of your alarm or change the snooze time? Not happening. Need to view a pdf attachment from an email? Better find a computer. Yes iPhone, you have apps, I get it. You also have a spectacular camera. Bravo. But I don't play games and I'm not a photographer, so I'm afraid your "features" are lost on me.

The iPhone OS is akin to a parent jingling their keys for a child compared to the BlackBerry. And now I know that. Now, though I did before, I can give a good chuckle when someone says "get out of the stone-age", knowing they have a very attractive appearing, and well marketed, inferior device. Well, at least for as long we have a BlackBerry Operating System anyway. I'll ride this train 'til the wheels fall off though. Just bought a Passport from BB last night.

Iphones make crappy blackberries. Just like blackberries make crappy mobile computers. I almost daily look at PDF s on an iPhone by the way. And word, Google docs and apples doc editor.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-16-16 06:26 PM

You did spare me from writing all this.... :-) I do have an iPhone and I do carry a BlackBerry 10 as well with me as I have to live with two mobile lines.... Oh life. And yes, your description is excellent. I find myself using my Passport most of the time and the iPhone for calls using that line and some apps not available on the BB10 device......

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by lfcohen; 02-17-16 at 07:36 PM.
    02-16-16 06:31 PM
    Iphones make crappy blackberries. Just like blackberries make crappy mobile computers. I almost daily look at PDF s on an iPhone by the way. And word, Google docs and apples doc editor.
    I am aware there are apps to help where the iPhone lacks. I'm sure they are good apps too. But I prefer the more complete, built-in software of the BlackBerry instead of the, "there's an app for that" mentality. There is, after all, a gmail app for the iPhone that "fxes" one major complaint I mentioned above. It allows one to receive gmail emails pushed directly to the phone, where the native app allows only fetch. The issue however is that this gmail app is clunky and slow, especially when compared to the HUB, and you cannot view all messages from different accounts in one place. Even if the gmail app did work like the HUB, and allow all my different gmail account emails to be viewed in one place, I'd still have to open another app to view work emails, then another app to view text messages, then another app for BBM, and so on... And the movements required to navigate the iPhone just cannot compete with the gestures of the BB10 OS. Functionally, I can destroy Android and iPhone users with just my right thumb. No need to ask Siri, or utilize ThumbID, or any of the other less-than-impressive gimmicks I have found to be slow and untrustworthy on this iPhone. I know, I know... It's all user preference. An Apple guy has a list of things he hates about BBOS too. Heck, I have a list of things I hate about BBOS, but at least now I know for sure, at least for the way I use my BB, the grass aint greener on the other side.
    02-16-16 10:11 PM
    I had an iPhone 4 back in 2010 when they first came out!! I thought this phone was the sh-t!! I played so many hours of SF4 and Infinity blade and GOF and I jail broke it so I could customize it wow. In retrospect what I probably should have done was buy a BlackBerry for practical stuff ( phone / text / emails) and just got an ipod touch for the above stuff. On another note the build quality wasn't that great on the iPhone 4 either I had to replace the speaker, antenna and microphone and even now I see so many iphones with cracked screens. Enjoy your bb.

On BlackBerry leap, Rogers network
    02-16-16 10:35 PM
    I am aware there are apps to help where the iPhone lacks. I'm sure they are good apps too. But I prefer the more complete, built-in software of the BlackBerry instead of the, "there's an app for that" mentality. There is, after all, a gmail app for the iPhone that "fxes" one major complaint I mentioned above. It allows one to receive gmail emails pushed directly to the phone, where the native app allows only fetch. The issue however is that this gmail app is clunky and slow, especially when compared to the HUB, and you cannot view all messages from different accounts in one place. Even if the gmail app did work like the HUB, and allow all my different gmail account emails to be viewed in one place, I'd still have to open another app to view work emails, then another app to view text messages, then another app for BBM, and so on... And the movements required to navigate the iPhone just cannot compete with the gestures of the BB10 OS. Functionally, I can destroy Android and iPhone users with just my right thumb. No need to ask Siri, or utilize ThumbID, or any of the other less-than-impressive gimmicks I have found to be slow and untrustworthy on this iPhone. I know, I know... It's all user preference. An Apple guy has a list of things he hates about BBOS too. Heck, I have a list of things I hate about BBOS, but at least now I know for sure, at least for the way I use my BB, the grass aint greener on the other side.
    So you prefer a more limited functionality. That's fine. But to say a iPhone won't let look at PDFs is just not accurate.
    02-16-16 10:58 PM
    [QUOTE=GadgetTravel;12268984]So you prefer a more limited functionality. That's fine. But to say a iPhone won't let look at PDFs is just not accurate.[/

More limited functionality? BlackBerry comes with the ability to open and read PDFs out of the box, with an option to download a native app if one wants more out of it. The iPhone only has the App option. I will repeat for you, I am aware the iPhone has apps. I am still using this piece until my Passport arrives.
    I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-imageuploadedbycb-forums1455694951.714476.jpg
    DudeManBud Man and valer466 like this.
    02-17-16 01:43 AM
    Wow, I remember trying to type with that awful keyboard

On BlackBerry leap, Rogers network
    02-17-16 06:10 AM

It deserves being integrally quoted, I had the same experience when a iphonized colleague told me: "get rid of that crappy RIM device! " I never did, and I even refurbished my Z30 with a 32GB micro-sd. Its nice keeping our data with oneself!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 06:54 AM
    If at first you don't succeed try try again. Eventually you'll have to stop failing at leaving BlackBerry.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    02-17-16 06:59 AM
    Well written and we'll felt. Thanks for a great read.

I too have left BlackBerry on two occasions.. once for the HTC Desire (back when it just came out) and I ditched it and returned to my 9780..

Later I was given a iPhone 5 and again ditched it for my 9780..

I've also said that numerous times, I too am not a app, FaceBook or camera or gaming person. So, the "app gap" is irrelevant to me. I'm loving my BlackBerry.

Sold a Passport and went back to a Classic. The Classic is now dead, so I went for a Q10... sadly, the Q10 is now dead (SIM tray damaged), and my contract is due for an upgrade... so, technically speaking I can now have any phone I want! And what do I do... I go out and purchase a Q10. :-)

I too will be rocking my BlackBerry till the wheels fall off, and then when that happens, i'll patch work as best I can. Sorry, but for productivity, I see no other device on the market that suits my needs other than a BlackBerry device, and more so a BlackBerry device running BlackBerry 10.

(PS: when I say BlackBerry device, I'm not talking that Android BlackBerry branded device)

Posted from my Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2789
    02-17-16 08:45 AM
    OP: you know, not everyone uses his phone as you described. So the fact, that iOS doesnt's suites you personally, doesn't make it a bas OS overall.

It is not without it's flaws though.

When I had a BB10 (Z/Q), I thought I will never buy an iPhone, but over time my preferences and needs changed, so now I'm using an Apple product and can live easily without all the features you described.

TL;DR - everything is a matter of perception and personal opinion, needs.

P.S. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    non-vtec, jallister, Uzi and 1 others like this.
    02-17-16 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=IamFrankly;12269138]
    So you prefer a more limited functionality. That's fine. But to say a iPhone won't let look at PDFs is just not accurate.[/

More limited functionality? BlackBerry comes with the ability to open and read PDFs out of the box, with an option to download a native app if one wants more out of it. The iPhone only has the App option. I will repeat for you, I am aware the iPhone has apps. I am still using this piece until my Passport arrives.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1455694951.714476.jpg 
Views:	1757 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	391624
    The thing is some of what your saying is not correct.

-The iPhone can open PDF without an app, just tap on the PDF and poof it opens.

- Google forces ALL third party email clients to Fetch gmail instead of Push, in a way to get more People to use Google's Gmail app, like how YouTube cannot play in the background is a limitation Google puts on the YouTube app that they actually charge a Subscription (YouTube Red) to get rid of. Google Limits their services in some cases to drive people to use Google apps instead of third party app (like the iPhone default email client) or pay in the case of YouTube.

-The iPhone displays ALL contacts associated with any online account inside the Contact app. New Contact are saved by default to the account you set as the Default account (weather be iCloud or another email provider). I save all contacts to iCloud so I have no need to change it.

-You can change the color of calendars, change the color of different calendar events, and hide, or add different calendars

-You can change your privacy setting from the privacy setting section of the setting app including Location Services, you can turn it off, or change what app have permission to use your location.
    Attached Thumbnails I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3508.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3509.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3510.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3511.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3512.jpg  

I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3513.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3514.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3515.jpg   I tried to leave BlackBerry for iPhone, and Failed Miserably.-img_3516.jpg  
    02-17-16 09:13 AM
    get a personal cloud hosted by yourself, like i did... all data kept for yourself and you get to have the advantages of cloud...
    02-17-16 10:16 AM
    It deserves being integrally quoted, I had the same experience when a iphonized colleague told me: "get rid of that crappy RIM device! " I never did, and I even refurbished my Z30 with a 32GB micro-sd. Its nice keeping our data with oneself!!!

Posted via CB10
    You mean keeping your data to yourself with the exception of the data you ship back to BlackBerry, Wolfram and Microsoft? Oh and then the folks they resell said data (actually, I believe Microsoft may be the only one that doesn't have a resell/share clause in their TOS).

Crap, and that doesn't even include the egregiously copious amounts of data your mobile provider gets from your device and traffic. Which they also resell.

And then the apps you may have installed. But we'll call that a gimme since it's to be expected.

Or you can keep hatin' on Google and Apple and enjoy your false sense of privacy.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-16 10:32 AM
    [QUOTE=jallister;12269581]

The thing is some of what your saying is not correct.

-The iPhone can open PDF without an app, just tap on the PDF and poof it opens.

- Google forces ALL third party email clients to Fetch gmail instead of Push, in a way to get more People to use Google's Gmail app, like how YouTube cannot play in the background is a limitation Google puts on the YouTube app that they actually charge a Subscription (YouTube Red) to get rid of. Google Limits their services in some cases to drive people to use Google apps instead of third party app (like the iPhone default email client) or pay in the case of YouTube.

-The iPhone displays ALL contacts associated with any online account inside the Contact app. New Contact are saved by default to the account you set as the Default account (weather be iCloud or another email provider). I save all contacts to iCloud so I have no need to change it.

-You can change the color of calendars, change the color of different calendar events, and hide, or add different calendars

-You can change your privacy setting from the privacy setting section of the setting app including Location Services, you can turn it off, or change what app have permission to use your location.
    I co-sign everything you said (and how dare you respond to rhetoric with factual information, you heathen lol) but I have to give props on the name of the example PDF.

I see what you did there.
    JeepBB and jallister like this.
    02-17-16 11:15 AM
    A friend of mine who was a long time BlackBerry user replaced her BlackBerry Curve with an iPhone 6 during its release; asked me a few days ago to send an email to someone from her phone. I got really angry at her and her phone as I found it difficult to attach a picture to the email coming from WhatsApp as well as the recipient address. She was hurrying me up to send it. I almost throw her phone out of frustration that a mere sending of an email with attachment was such a difficult task for me doing from that phone.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    02-17-16 11:57 AM
    Adding flexibility adds complexity, and the iPhone has sold so well because it's "simple" (although in many ways, it's frustratingly complex - IMO anyway.)

The good news is, it's easy as can be to unload that fruit phone on craigslist.

Richard
    02-17-16 12:21 PM
    You can't insult iPhone. It's more than a phone for its users. It's a statement, it's part of their soul and it's a way of life.

All Apple needs to do to advertise itself is display its logo. Mysterious energy radiates from that logo that brings in the punters, zombie-like, to buy overpriced phones by the freight load.

You can't say a word against it, but it's part of what many people ARE. It's not simply something that they use because they find it useful.
    02-17-16 12:31 PM
    You can't insult iPhone. It's more than a phone for its users. It's a statement, it's part of their soul and it's a way of life.

All Apple needs to do to advertise itself is display its logo. Mysterious energy radiates from that logo that brings in the punters, zombie-like, to buy overpriced phones by the freight load.

You can't say a word against it, but it's part of what many people ARE. It's not simply something that they use because they find it useful.
    And the BlackBerry faithful aren't anything like that?

:P
    kirson, reeneebob and JeepBB like this.
    02-17-16 12:37 PM
    I have come to love these threads. The real problem is that even though the OS is supper simplistic it would appear that the functions it is really capable of are beyond your reach. You pretty much said that you dont like Apple to begin with and you were kinda forced into switching. Here's a thought for you, 10's of millions sold vs A few hundred thousand. It's not the greatest phone but it is better than what BB has become. 2 years ago you would have been tarred and feathered for even speaking Android on this site. Now it's embraced. It's the new home of the Blackberry Bandwagon.
    02-17-16 01:30 PM

Like a 600.00 Priv? A mediocre phone at best with a premium price that just doesnt sell.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-16 01:32 PM
    Iphone cant be bedraggled because it has an app for everything....
    that said, it misses out on something which a blackberry user can feel but hard to express and pinpoint.
    that awful vkb to start with though.......
    02-17-16 01:40 PM
    I have come to love these threads. The real problem is that even though the OS is supper simplistic it would appear that the functions it is really capable of are beyond your reach. You pretty much said that you dont like Apple to begin with and you were kinda forced into switching. Here's a thought for you, 10's of millions sold vs A few hundred thousand. It's not the greatest phone but it is better than what BB has become. 2 years ago you would have been tarred and feathered for even speaking Android on this site. Now it's embraced. It's the new home of the Blackberry Bandwagon.
    It's kinda like Kevin and is CrapPad photoshoot when the PlayBook came out.... Wonder just how long before he went back to his beloved iPad.
    xtremeled likes this.
    02-17-16 02:04 PM
58 123