Surely a Z10 does all of these things. Perhaps you prefer to use gapps... but that's down to personal preference rather than a Z10 deficiency?
    Gapps in and of itself is a huge draw.

Another issue is adaptability to my needs. I don't want to have to switch to Outlook to get decent email service if I have been using multiple Gapp email account for years.
    10-04-13 03:47 PM
    Honestly, I've saved a boatload since jumping back on the BlackBerry ship. Realizing how much of the app consumption was just compulsion. Apps for the sake of apps, marketed expertly by the Apple Store to keep folks buying and hooked in.
    So the takeaway here is that the lack of apps on the BlackBerry platform as compared with other platforms is a positive because it prevents those that have no self control from buying too many apps?
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-04-13 03:49 PM
    So the takeaway here is that the lack of apps on the BlackBerry platform as compared with other platforms is a positive because it prevents those that have no self control from buying too many apps?
    LOL... sweet mercies that had me laughing...
    Terser Nori likes this.
    10-04-13 03:56 PM
    Definitely the lack of Apps. Not that there really is a lack if you don't mind side loading but the majority want it to just install and done. Don't know many willing to do it. For me the only big deal is my Banking App doesn't work and there isn't one for the z10 native. The Web Browser isn't that great so it is almost more hassle than anything to use my phone for my bank. This is the biggest reason people will go elsewhere. They want Candy Crush Saga and want it to install from the Market. They don't want the hassle of having to get someone to make a debugtoken for them and then convert and side load the app. This isn't convenient at all. Until this changes I am sure BlackBerry will struggle worse and worse. Yes,a simple thing like not having an app for a bank will cause people to go elsewhere. Have been thinking about changing myself to get my banking back.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 03:58 PM
    I agree with the Op to an extent.

A UK Z10 Owner
    10-04-13 04:09 PM
    Nah.

What gets lost in all these "app vs browser" battles is one simple fact: the browser itself is an app.

BBRY upgraded theirs to epic proportions, yes, but folks forget that folks on other platforms have been using great browsers for a while now. In fact, a synced mobile browser is a major part of my workflow. I prefer having my searches, bookmarks and even open tabs synced on any browser I use. This is something that cannot be done on BB10's otherwise great browser.

But apps do add value. My favorite example is mobile banking. It's how I can use a bank 2K+ miles away. Another is the CB10 app.

It's one thing to say you don't need an app when it's not available, but it's tough to argue that apps (like the browser) don't make mobile life easier.
    Yes app means application. All phones must run some applications. What I dislike is the nature of phone apps. Whats different about browsers is that they are developed independently to an agreed standard. Apps that run in the browser are not controlled by rules and tarrifs imposed by the browser, os or device manufacturer. Yes the apple app market gives some control to protect customers from viruses and malware. The google app store in theory should do the same but seemingly in reality fails. However a good secure unix based os like bbos10 should also provide some consumer protection. I quite like bbos10 although I'd like it a lot more with a track pad. Because a track pad would give more freedom to be independent of the need for apps. What I am saying is that I really hope in 5 years we wont still have the situation where apps have to be developed separately for each mobile platform. No sign BlackBerry are following much of a different path from Apple or Google, can but hope. In 12 months should be able to install ubuntu on a phone prevously running android, that might just have to be way forward for those not fans of apple or google.

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    10-04-13 04:15 PM
    Most definately a lack of app is the major cause of a lack of interest to win over users....one has to be a die hearted BlackBerry user to stick with the device like myself...ppl want diversity n availability of apps...natives n such....everyone makes a ios or Android app specifics make BlackBerry apps

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 04:25 PM
    110% the ecosystem! I got my bb10 the day it came out in Canada. I know many (too many to count on hands) that were on legacy BlackBerry devices at the time that were looking at it and thought it was pretty cool but every time it cam back to do they have this app yet? Will this app be there? And so now after having to tell them no and try to sell them on other more sophisticated features they didn't care I can say honestly that all but one of them are on GS3/4 or iPhone. Yeah there are some of you who disagree and say I use it for business and emails communicating... but what I've realized is so many business are tapping into social media and the viral experience because that's where people are. This is why just that is why as they have stated they are going after the 'prosummer' market.

However all this said I'm sticking with BlackBerry until success or death because quite frankly the user experience is unparalleled. For me I get physically frustrated navigating my friends other phones because you can't just flow and gesture your way through everything. Also the whole idea of mobile computing I think really will catch on and not needing apps will be the future because everything will be online and available. Right now that's not the case and the lack of needed apps is hurting BlackBerry. But we will see where mobile computing gets us

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 04:30 PM
    Surely a Z10 does all of these things. Perhaps you prefer to use gapps... but that's down to personal preference rather than a Z10 deficiency?

Posted via CB10
    Z10 just doesn't do any of these as well as the Google counterparts.
    Google maps I'll input a destination, and it will give me multiple modes of transportation (auto, public transport, bike, and walking). I can choose multiple routes for each mode of transport, and it will provide me with route+eta for each.
    G maps shows me construction zones, landmarks, points of interest, etc...

If I input Lvcc in Google maps an icon for the Las Vegas Convention Center will show up on the map. Easy peasy.

I Think This app situation is overrated.-img_00000064.png

Searching for Lvcc on the z10 map

I Think This app situation is overrated.-img_00000065.png

This is why I prefer to use the gapps version.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 04:34 PM
    *g maps search for Lvcc (Las vegas convention center)
    I Think This app situation is overrated.-screenshot_2013-10-04-14-29-12.png

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 04:35 PM
    I don't think Blackberry's lack of apps is much of an issue. It's more complex than that, the entire situation the company is facing is far more complex than the average consumer would understand at first glance.

The gripe many BB users have is that the blackberry app world is full of "unnecesary apps". The essentials are there (whatsapp, skype, instagram etc) but what's lacking more importantly, in my view, is strategic alliances with developers that broaden the bb app ecosystem as a whole. Take for example, when a new app is launched that serves to integrate other devices or just make the consumers life moe exciting and functional (like Sony's latest app for PS$ and Xbox One), the one thing that always pops up is "available on Android and iOS". That alone tells any consumer that when they get an Android or iOS device they are automatically in the loop with the latest advancements in app integration. Blackberry doesn't have that! They've essentially isolated themselves to the point where they left their niche market of the enterprise domain, entered a fiercely competative consumer market they couldn't keep up with and now have back themselves into a conrner by not meeting consumer demands.

I'll leave my views on why BB10 as a whole hasn't been successful for another post, but for now, apps are not the biggest problem as to why BB10 hasn't caught on with consumers, however, there could have been better strategic moves to make more prominant apps available and the app ecosystem as a whole more attractive and useful to the blackberry consumers. The quantity of apps doesn't mean much if they aren't quality apps people would need.
    Terser Nori likes this.
    10-04-13 04:39 PM
    It's not the apps per se I think...but more the ecosystem. People know iTunes, they have iPod shuffles, touches iphones, ipad minis apple tvs, macs etc... and everything just works.

They get their clients when they're young too... and I'm to blame, all 3 of my girls have iPod touches. (ages 4-11)

You think they'll want a BlackBerry when they get older? Most likely not...unless they're really bored with ios and want something new..but then, that means no more airplay, perhaps some of the apps they loved on ios won't be available on BlackBerry, maybe all their friends will have shiny new iphones....

It's unfortunate because I think the phone and os and overall user experience on bb10 is better, it's just that Apple had been building their ecosystem for some time now, and more and more people have been buying into it. Once you are in its hard to get out.

Posted from my Z10 using CB10
    10-04-13 04:47 PM
    BlackBerry needed a lot of advertising all over the world. I show my q 10 to my friends and all want one. But from where? No advertising,no resellers company,no tv campaign, no nothing. Is like the water with coca cola taste without advertising

Posted via CB10
    toc610 likes this.
    10-04-13 04:52 PM
    I will tell u why its all about apps because i bought my device 2 months ago sating blackberry z10 is awesome more awesome than the s3 well the first few weeks i felt that it is an awesome phone sidleloaded apps and everything but i wont install 10.2 leaked for many reasons... my point is that i stoped feeling that the phone was awesome cause i couldnt find the apps that my friends habe on there ios and andriod devices

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 05:02 PM
    @Jay_10 agreed... the "available for iPhone and Android" tag does more for those platforms than most people realize.
    10-04-13 05:09 PM
    @Jay_10 agreed... the "available for iPhone and Android" tag does more for those platforms than most people realize.
    Every time a company says this they are telling their own customers that these are the only two mobile operating systems which matter.
    10-04-13 05:18 PM
    I don't think that people who want a lot of apps really stop to think whether they really want all the apps. Although I'm sure there are some people like that, the iOS and Android users I know don't barely use any apps at all. But, knowing they have it available should they want it may be the more likely driving force.

With all the bad news out now, people who were thinking of BlackBerry are now turned off mostly because they question the future viability of the brand. So, the problem now is even more compounded.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 05:33 PM
    Honestly BlackBerry 10 OS lacks some apps but to be logical, my Q10 is the best phone I ever had and after 2 months with me I can comfortably say it is a far better phone than my Galaxy S and my Xperia TX that I had before. First for what it comes to organisation the blackberry hub is a bless, nothing can be more organised than having all ur accounts synced in one place and with such an easy access. Second, I sideloaded instagram and a couple of apps I had before and this small screen and keyboard gives me the impression all is set to its place and undercontrol. The material and feeling of a real premium phone is unrivaled except for (maybe) the iphones and HTC ones and Nokia 925. The screen's resolution and the battery adds to it ( I can easily pass the day and I am a very very heavy user and use my phone for quick access to my e-mails and notifications, especially with the hub that became an asset during my days), and the screen is surprisingly very good for reading, I loaded the Kobo app and I spend my before sleep time reading and I never was bothered by the screen's small estate. One more thing, a phone is a phone, a communication object that can be used to simplify people's communication, not to fulfill everyone's lazyness. Some apps are cool but let's face it, I hardly am interested in an ecosystem that has zero security (android) or with slow updates (IOS) I want to have a smartphone. A phone for MY needs and for the first time in years I found that. Thank you blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 05:33 PM
    Interesting thread and there are and will be a lot of comments and probably no resolution to this conundrum. I'm a Q10/Z10 user who would give up half my apps if I had to for the pleasure of being on BB10. I realize that is not the norm. As far as apps I need I have them all. The standard FB, 4Sq, Linkedin, Twitter etc. Soundhound and Songza fill gaps, we have iHeart, NFL, Kobo, Kindle NYTimes. I've sideloaded Instagram which I never use. It works fine. My bank on the HTML5 browser works just like the desktop version because it is the desktop version and it's all I need. Yes we are missing Netflix and a few other of the biggies. I don't use any of them on a small device or even on a tablet so again for me no issue. Is it an issue for others? Well of course it is for some. The larger issue issue I think for many is the "perceived emotional issue of being deprived." The know there are apps out there they can't get. Will they use or need them? I'm willing to bet there are millions who avoid the BB10 platform just because they can't have access to apps they don' t even want. That's a hard nut to fight.
    The other issue. Kevin or someone talked about the iPhone 5s release and a young teeny bopper who waited in line for hers. Asked what she used it for she said text and phone and some FB. She had a $500++ phone to do SMS. No idea or even a desire to know about other apps. She would never use. But. As they stated she held the phone like it was her external heart in her hand and you could almost intuit she sleeps w/it. I will be there are millions of her and they will not be moved until Lady Gaga has come out front and center as a Blackberry user who promotes BBM on her social networks. And, seriously, Blackberry should sell their soul to get people like her and Jay Z in their corner. Game changers.
    toc610 likes this.
    10-04-13 06:01 PM
    I'm a Chinese user so I just wanna share my own feelings about the apps on BB10. As many of you guys already know, we have our own so called "tweeter"s and "facebook"s. So just imagine will you buy a cell phone that the two most famous social app company announced that BB10 won't have tweeter and facebook?
    Another thing is that the BlackBerry China division, it was shut down few weeks ago (or was announced will be shutdown, I don't remember). To be honest I really don't think they did too much things for the BlackBerry users in China. Maybe they think BlackBerry 10 haven't officially announced in China so it's not their business to consider about us?
    Luckily there are still quite a lot hard core BlackBerry fans(like me) still sticking on BlackBerry even BlackBerry already abandoned us. So as we putting more and more pressures on our app developers such as Weibo and Wechat, we finally getting close to have them on our phones.
    So just from China, one country of BlackBerry customer market ( I guess not anymore BlackBerry market after they shut down the division?) we hard core users already facing so much troubles, think about other country? How long for those guys have to wait for their own local apps on their BB10 phones? I think one of the reason keeping people away from BlackBerry is not lacking of big name apps but local apps like Weibo or Wechat in China. These companies think the BlackBerry users are only a small amount of people that don't worth for them wasting time to make apps for them. And the local division of BlackBerry fail to fill up this gap. If BlackBerry China could have contact Tennent (company that make Wechat and QQ) or Sina (company that operating Weibo) and put resources into these local app development, things may really be different.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 06:43 PM
    I do not think the problem is a lack of apps problem, I think it is more a perception that blackberry is still your parents phone, my daughter who has an IPhone, took my Z10 and literally within seconds she declared that blackberry phones had not changed even before she knew about the gestures, and I think this is a problem with lots of folks.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 07:02 PM
    For a person who wants to communicate, nothing beats the smooth sophistication of the Q10 or my phone, the Q5. I think where BlackBerry loses out is for those persons who don't own a computer or a tablet and want their phone to take their place even if it reduces their phoning experience.

Posted via CB10
    DS1331 likes this.
    10-04-13 07:19 PM
    Definitely apps and their functions they offer. Take Banking for instance. Most apps offer Deposit by Snapshot which is something the Browser can't offer. Social is another because there are those like myself that will use everything except Facebook which brings G+ into the picture and what the app offers the Browser just can't compete with. Dropbox is a good one also as the Native only offers Docs to Go while the app will allow you to choose which editor you have installed that you want to use. I do however like the Twitter for BB10 more than any other app I have used and I have used iOS and Android. My wife is choosing her new phone based on which has Candy Crush Saga in their Market and BB does not. She will not be alone in this process of choosing new devices.

If I could make one change to better BB10 it would be to give more control over the Runtime to us the user so we could add to the files inside so more of our apk would run. Wouldn't hurt to have a small app that would convert and install on the device also. There are and will always be very few willing to do more than open the Market,choose an app and download it. It is expected to install immediately. BB10 doesn't offer many and the majority of what is offered really isn't for American users which hurts even more.
    10-04-13 07:21 PM
    I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

I think is its the cool factor thats stalling bb10 from gaining traction.

Posted via CB10
    It's not about whether or not people actually use all of the apps that people want, but people do not want to be on a platform that excludes them from the potential use. I for one don't use 80% of the crap apps on my iPad, but I was able to download them and decide for myself that I didn't need them.

For those who aren't as loyal to BlackBerry, why chose it if it doesn't offer the big names when you can chose the next device that does. There's also something psychological about knowing that your platform isn't as broadly supported. Some consumers may simply assume that the companies staying away know something that they don't, and that the BlackBerry OS must be somehow inferior.

Keith H. Posted using CB10.
    10-04-13 07:52 PM
    I just want the z10's available apps to function as well, or better than on any other device (still whining about the maps.. sorry for beating a dead horse here).

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 08:04 PM
327 ... 678910 ...