Having just returned to BlackBerry from the iPhone I am disappointed in the lack of functionality apps that I require to be productive. The hurricane and weather apps I use to make decisions in the field are severely lacking. The other things I've noticed are there are many "fake apps". I was looking for the game my husband and I play and the one I found that was I thought was the same game ended up being some blog.
    I've tried to upload the 10.2, but have had issues, and have given up for now. I've followed the videos, but I think the first time I tried and my computer was being stupid so I missed one step messed up the phone. I love that my BlackBerry works for what I need it to, but I really need those weather apps!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:06 AM
    True, people bought Apple products long before apps entered the equation. BlackBerry 10 was meant to address the issues that BlackBerry OS users had. Hourglass, slow browser and lack of multimedia. If blackberry focused on marketing the phone as a business device, they may have been better off. The rest of focus would be transiting all BlackBerry services to Ios and Android. Secure work space is the start but also build an os ground up for oem's as well based on Android. The problem is the perception that BlackBerry doesn't have apps and is slow.

Z10 posted
    10-06-13 11:07 AM
    BlackBerry was NEVER meant for everyone. BlackBerry devices appeal to a particular subset of society.

Posted via CB10
    But they don't appeal to that market that much at all anymore from what I see.
    10-06-13 11:27 AM
    This is the case with all that I know. If find it interesting for them to argue my Q10 will not do certain things until I show them it will. It gets quiet real quick - then envy sets in. If they would just do some self research instead of listening to others.

Now the hurdle for BB is to get those "others" to feel "not belonging". *grin*
    What can your q10 do that their phones can't? Are they just surprised that your q10 can do something that their phones can? If so why would they be jealous?

I just don't understand how this scenario played out in which the end result encited envy, and shame do to poor due diligence.

Posted via CB10
    litig8or98 likes this.
    10-06-13 12:04 PM
    BlackBerry was NEVER meant for everyone. BlackBerry devices appeal to a particular subset of society.

Posted via CB10
    LOL.

You might be onto something. Did BBRY know this?
    10-06-13 10:14 PM
    I have grown to love my Q10, but if I were to go back in time I'd seriously consider a different option - and all because of the lack of apps.

I've tried to follow the sideloading threads but don't understand any of it. (I'm not a techie!)

I agree that there are other issues, such as the pisspoor marketing by Blackberry of BB10, but it's the apps that do it for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 05:48 AM
    I don't agree with this what so ever.

That was the case in 2007. But now that apps have grown to be so powerful and so important in people's lives it's really about those.

BlackBerrys were always considered cool because they look professional and classy. But then when people actually use one and realize there's nothing you can do with a Berry that another phone can't do, they lose interest.
    It's a TOOL, not a TOY!!!
    If you don't like it...well...don't use it, but don't bury something just because it doesn't fit your particular needs.
    10-07-13 10:19 AM
    If you don't like it...well...don't use it, but don't bury something just because it doesn't fit your particular needs.
    This is almost comical at this point. More or less no one buys the "tool not a toy" meme anymore because I think most people see that more or less the opposite is true.
    litig8or98 and Terser Nori like this.
    10-07-13 11:10 AM
    I have a Z10 and love it, people look at the phone and are surprised that its a BlackBerry and then I get comments such as there arent any Apps and it seems to be an issue with people, the only App I miss is the NatWest Bank app, and thats out soon from what I hear, I have dropbox Skype etc and everyhting I need for productivity and use the browser. The other issue I find is mindless bashing form critics and so called reviewers and analysts etc for the low take up.

I have had an android and an iPhone and I preffered my Bold 9900 to them, the Z10 is so much a better experience especilally the swipe and gesture controls u can flick through apps messgae and the Brilliant Hub.
    10-07-13 11:15 AM
    I have no doubt it's the ecosystem.
    The problem isn't so much as not having the apps, but there are already 2 established ecosystems that would cover 80% of the market.

If you're going to write apps, and want a wide audience, why would you think about BB10 / WP8 as your second choice? There are lots of established expertise in iOS and Android dev, so it's easy enough to find the right folks to do that work.

If you want the app ecosystem to improve, you've got to make it to #2 choice for developers to use.
    10-07-13 11:47 AM
    This is almost comical at this point. More or less no one buys the "tool not a toy" meme anymore because I think most people see that more or less the opposite is true.
    It could be me, but I just can't make sense of it.(your reply)
    Could you please put it in layman's terms?
    10-07-13 12:38 PM
    It could be me, but I just can't make sense of it.(your reply)
    Could you please put it in layman's terms?
    I think that the "tools not toys" argument isn't valid, hence it won't make a very good advertising campaign for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 02:36 PM
    Perhaps you should try convincing BlackBerry, because it seems that even they don't believe you:
    Attached Thumbnails I Think This app situation is overrated.-toolsnottoys.jpg   I Think This app situation is overrated.-toolsnottoys2.jpg  
    10-07-13 03:01 PM
    Perhaps you should try convincing BlackBerry, because it seems that even they don't believe you:
    I would argue that they aren't particularly expert in selling phones based on the numbers so it isn't clear how much their opinion matters.

But in any case, I don't have to convince them. They have to convince potential customers.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 03:21 PM
    But in any case, I don't have to convince them. They have to convince potential customers.
    I was't talking to you. I was talking to sentano, the member I quoted. You and I agree in that the "tools not toys" mantra is absurd.
    10-07-13 03:29 PM
    I was't talking to you. I was talking to sentano, the member I quoted. You and I agree in that the "tools not toys" mantra is absurd.
    Oops. Sorry. Hard to see on this little Q10 screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 03:51 PM
    I think that the "tools not toys" argument isn't valid, hence it won't make a very good advertising campaign for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Appreciate the reply.
    Please don't get me wrong, I'm not lobbying for BlackBerry as a company, I don't agree with many things they did, especially in timely delivery and marketing.
    I defend /support the product from a very subjective point of view : I LIKE IT!!!!
    It does what I need it to do in a way no other smart phone on the market does. I had an android tablet, good hardware, good os, tons of apps. Most of the apps wanna get access to everything you have on the device (wonder why?) and many are below what I would call a half decent app (not to mention the usefulness of it).
    I've got a company issued iPhone...that's another joke and a half. It works, no argument about that, but pretty much that's it. Honestly I hate the poor thing (I know, hate is a strong word and I don't use it too often). Very limited in settings, can't use my own ring tones (gotta buy them from iTunes), can't download a damn picture unless I install their program which is worse than a virus, and so on.
    These are just a few aspects from my PERSONAL perspective, no one has to like it, just accept it.
    I don't go on iPhone fan sites or threads or DROID places to bash their favorite products, but here I feel that I have to speak out loud.
    This is a BlackBerry fan site and we LOVE OUR BlackBerry phones!!!

...forever BlackBerry...
    10-07-13 05:20 PM
    Appreciate the reply.
    Please don't get me wrong, I'm not lobbying for BlackBerry as a company, I don't agree with many things they did, especially in timely delivery and marketing.
    I defend /support the product from a very subjective point of view : I LIKE IT!!!!
    It does what I need it to do in a way no other smart phone on the market does. I had an android tablet, good hardware, good os, tons of apps. Most of the apps wanna get access to everything you have on the device (wonder why?) and many are below what I would call a half decent app (not to mention the usefulness of it).
    I've got a company issued iPhone...that's another joke and a half. It works, no argument about that, but pretty much that's it. Honestly I hate the poor thing (I know, hate is a strong word and I don't use it too often). Very limited in settings, can't use my own ring tones (gotta buy them from iTunes), can't download a damn picture unless I install their program which is worse than a virus, and so on.
    These are just a few aspects from my PERSONAL perspective, no one has to like it, just accept it.
    I don't go on iPhone fan sites or threads or DROID places to bash their favorite products, but here I feel that I have to speak out loud.
    This is a BlackBerry fan site and we LOVE OUR BlackBerry phones!!!

...forever BlackBerry...
    Appreciate your point of view. By the way I have been using RIM products since the RIM950. At one point I had two curves on different carriers. I just got a Q10 to replace my 9650 a few months ago. But it can't touch my iPhone 5 for overall productivity tools in my hands.

Posted via CB10
    sentano likes this.
    10-07-13 05:26 PM
    Id like to see a few games that take advantage of BlackBerry interfaces or keyboard. I mean you might play Grand Theft Auto on android but play on BlackBerry and you really get to swipe stuff!
    Ok corny joke, but the points a real one.

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    10-07-13 05:33 PM
    The lack of apps was never an issue for me in choosing blackberry. I mean, there are still comparable apps offered that can do the same job as on other platforms. I prefer blackberry because the OS is simplistic and easy to use when compared to other devices. Some may say apply OS is very simple, but I found it wasn't as simple to use as blackberry. Same for Android. What was most important is can I truly multi task on a blackberry and the answer every time was a resounding "yes".

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 08:58 AM
    Not counting games, here is a list of apps that I currently use on both Android and IOS (depending on the day) that are not available for BB10 devices:

Bank of America
    Engadget
    Amazon
    Concur Solutions
    Uber
    Instagram
    Netflix
    Sling Player
    Ebay
    Starbucks
    American Express
    Paypal
    Fandango
    IMDB
    Runtastic
    Delta Airlines
    Flight track

I would have given BB10 a try, but for my needs, apps are not overrated.
    Last edited by nyc_rock; 10-08-13 at 01:11 PM.
    10-08-13 12:29 PM
    Not counting games, here is a list of apps that I currently use on both Android and IOS (depending on the day) that are not available for BB10 devices:

Bank of America
    Engadget ("Engadget", "Engadget reader", "Engadget China")
    Amazon ("Shopathon" and "Search for Amazon" are both Amazon apps available in BlackBerry World.)
    Concur Solutions (There is no shortage of time tracker apps in BlackBerry World.)
    Uber ("goCatch" looks like it might be a close competitor, but there are more taxi apps in BlackBerry World than I can list!)
    Instagram ("iGrann", an Instagram go-between, is being developed right now.)
    Netflix (Someone posted a link to an old version of the Netflix app that [supposedly] works with BB10.)
    Sling Player (BB10 has the built-in option to "Share" or "Play on" that you can send media to other devices on your wifi network.)
    Ebay (Seriously?? Did you not even TRY to find the apps?? There IS an ebay app in BlackBerry World!)
    Starbucks ("Fidme" holds all your loyalty cards.)
    American Express
    Paypal
    Fandango (Flixster does the exact same thing.)
    IMDB ("Search for IMDB", "Movies Search for IMDB", "IMDB Search", "IMDB News", and many more are available.)
    Runtastic (Runtastic PRO for BlackBerry 10", "runtastic Pushups", "runtastic SitUps")
    Delta Airlines ("Fly Delta for BlackBerry 10")
    Flighttrack ("Flight Tracker Free")

I would have given BB10 a try, but for my needs, apps are not overrated.
    You are full of pure shyte! You had/have no intention of giving BB10 a try. Highlighted in bold above is nearly every one of the apps you hold so dear readily available in BlackBerry World (with the exception of Netflix.) If you throw sideloading in the mix, ALL of your deal-breaker apps are "available" to BB10.
    Last edited by tayl0rd; 10-08-13 at 01:55 PM. Reason: grammar
    10-08-13 01:27 PM
    What if one has an ethical issue with sideloading?
    10-08-13 01:29 PM
    You are full of pure shyte! You had/have no intention of giving BB10 a try. I found nearly every one of the apps you hold so dear right there in BlackBerry World (with the exception of Netflix.)
    For many of these, did you happen to pay attention to whether they were BB10 versions or version for older devices? Looks like maybe you didn't. For the rest... perhaps he wants actual branded apps, and not third-party apps?

• Bank of America - Not for BB10
    • Engadget - Not for BB10
    • Amazon - There is no Amazon app.
    • Concur Solutions - There is no Concur Solutions.
    • Uber - Not for BB10.
    • Instagram - There is no Instagram app.
    • Netflix - There is no Netflix app.
    • Sling Player - There is no Sling Player app.
    • eBay - Not for BB10.
    • Starbucks - There is no Starbucks app.
    • American Express - There is no American Express app.
    • PayPal - There is no PayPal app.
    • Fandango - Not for BB10.
    • IMDB - There is no IMDB app.
    • Runtastic - Not for BB10.
    • Delta Airlines - Holy cow! There's one for BB10!
    • Flighttrack - Not for BB10.
    10-08-13 01:33 PM
    What if one has an ethical issue with sideloading?
    Then don't. None of the apps I put in bold have to be sideloaded, except for that Netflix one.

For some of these, did you happen to pay attention to whether they were BB10 versions or version for older devices? Looks like maybe you didn't. For the rest... perhaps he wants actual branded apps, and not third-party apps?
    I looked for every one of those straight from my Z10. If you have a BB10 device, you would know that apps for older devices don't even show up in BlackBerry World from the new devices.
    10-08-13 01:40 PM
327 ... 910111213 ...