... I can't do any of that because Blackberry refuses to allow us to download apps that's needed for everyday things. So yes, I will be going back to the iPhone unless BlackBerry allows apps to be downloaded. I like BlackBerry but I feel a need for my apps.
    It's not a question of BlackBerry "allowing" anything. The banking app you want belongs to your bank. Your bank's mobile group will choose which platforms and stores to support based on their relative cost effectiveness.
    tayl0rd likes this.
    10-05-13 10:27 AM
    ... or just get an an Android or iPhone to begin with...

That's what BBRY is facing.
    Right. Many people here view it as "how can I get around the deficiencies of BlackBerry" by such things as buying another phone. Most people, virtually all, don't have the preconception that they need a BlackBerry. They just buy and Android or iphone. I carry a personal and work phone and decided the keyboard on the Q10 was a better compliment to my iPhone than an android phone. But people with two phones are rare and I wouldn't consider a BlackBerry as my main or only phone. It would be way too limiting in my opinion.

This isn't 2005. These are mobile computers, at least android and iphones. Mobile computers need software. Doesn't matter how good the OS is as long as it's good enough and iOS and Android are. This sounds like the old CPM vs DOS arguments. All that mattered was that DOS started getting the apps, programs.

The first iphone was out in 2007. BlackBerry had roughly until Android came out to respond and get into the mobile computing game I think. Didn't happen and we see the result now.

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence and rbenchley like this.
    10-05-13 11:04 AM
    Hola, soy de repblica Dominicana, y compre el z10 stl100-1, estoy encantando con este equipo, pero debo admitir que la falta de App 's que se estn usando en la mayora de los equipos es importante, (Instagram, vine, Candy crush, y otros). Si tomamos una mirada a las razones del porque la gente compra equipos, no es slo porque son chulos, es porque tambin quieren los App ' s que estn de moda, y es por ende que varias personas que conozco han devuelto los z10, y han comprado iphone, o Samsung, y cuando he conversado a fondo en estos casos, me informan que no tienes dichas aplicacines, espero que BlackBerry pueda resolver este problem, porque soy de los fieles y no pienso cambiar de equipo, pero no niego que por esta falta, a veces pienso, que le.pasa a BlackBerry que no hace el esfuerzo por estas App que son las que estn de moda!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 11:10 AM
    The first iphone was out in 2007. BlackBerry had roughly until Android came out to respond and get into the mobile computing game I think. Didn't happen and we see the result now.

Posted via CB10
    For what it's worth, Android came out in 2007 as well. It only started to pick up steam in the last few years, but even when it launched in 2007 it was leaps and bounds ahead of the extremely limiting BBOS 5 that we had at the time.
    10-05-13 01:49 PM
    This position couldn't be any more "typical BlackBerry loyalist" if it tried.

The App ecosystem is why I changed. Even within my own small network I can point to dozens of others that also moved away because of the ecosystem. Even if Netflix on a 4 or 5 inch screen is silly, I want the option.

Few people actually give a **** about Android or iOS themselves. They care about what the operating systems enable them to do. Most of those enablers are missing on the BlackBerry platform. I want Microsoft Office and dropbox on my phone, but I also want Netflix, Instagram, Songza, Snapchat etc. I also want my fitness apps (few of which are available in BB10, slightly more in legacy BBOS).

I would have purchased a Z10 in a New York minute if it offered the software I wanted. I didn't want to give up my dynamic notification LED, I certainly didn't want to give up BBM, but both of those things were expendable when faced with another 3 years of using **** clone apps like Angry Farm.

I've had BlackBerry devices going back to 2003s 6710. I would have preferred to stay but, 6 months into the Android ecosystem, I'm glad I left.
    10-05-13 01:58 PM
    I told my daughter that other day that I just downloaded the ABC Player and Family apps. I even texted her a pic of Pretty Little Liars. She said that she had those apps for a while on her iPhone. I have yet two find banking apps that I need. Based on my experience with AT&T sales people string people away from BlackBerry, I would have to say that the lack of apps was definitely a factor in low sales. This in turn, caused the large BlackBerry write off this past quarter.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 03:20 PM
    Right. Many people here view it as "how can I get around the deficiencies of BlackBerry" by such things as buying another phone. Most people, virtually all, don't have the preconception that they need a BlackBerry. They just buy and Android or iphone. I carry a personal and work phone and decided the keyboard on the Qit10 was a better compliment to my iPhone than an android phone. But people with two phones are rare and I wouldn't consider a BlackBerry as my main or only phone. It would be way too limiting in my opinion.
    It's not a question about getting around perceived deficiencies of a BlackBerry. The original question posed was how important the apps deficit on BlackBerry is. Of course the basic apps are important, but beyond that their relevance is not so clear cut. I spent 250 UK pounds less on my Z10 than an equivalent iPhone. I get 90% of the core experience I need and delivered in a better way IMHO than the competing phone platforms. I watch streaming video on a tablet / PC because it is way better than the same experience on a phone. I don't Instagram or hang out on Google. I do my internet banking on a PC which is again a better experience than any phone app. In short anyone who pays a premium to do everything (sometimes quite trivial things) on the one device needs to ask themselves whether the apps are that important to spend the extra money to do so. Having said that, despite the very good price I paid, I do recognise that BlackBerries aren't that cheap in general so I would recommend that BlackBerry price their product accordingly to go some way to compensating the perceived app deficit.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 04:27 PM
    Oops .. double post
    10-05-13 04:28 PM
    It's not a question about getting around perceived deficiencies of a BlackBerry. The original question posed was how important the apps deficit on BlackBerry is. Of course the basic apps are important, but beyond that their relevance is not so clear cut. I spent 250 UK pounds less on my Z10 than an equivalent iPhone. I get 90% of the core experience I need and delivered in a better way IMHO than the competing phone platforms. I watch streaming video on a tablet / PC because it is way better than the same experience on a phone. I don't Instagram or hang out on Google. I do my internet banking on a PC which is again a better experience than any phone app. In short anyone who pays a premium to do everything (sometimes quite trivial things) on the one device needs to ask themselves whether the apps are that important to spend the extra money to do so. Having said that, despite the very good price I paid, I do recognise that BlackBerries aren't that cheap in general so I would recommend that BlackBerry price their product accordingly to go some way to compensating the perceived app deficit.

Posted via CB10

It isn't a perceived deficiency. It is a very real deficiency. From my standpoint BBs are not even competitive as mobile computers. I think the majority of people feel this way. They can't run the software that people want so they have little to offer. To me, they are phones with a decent email client, not particularly better than in iOS or Android but decent, and a browser. That isn't competitive with a mobile computer that has thousands of job specific and situation specific programs available for it. I would sacrifice a huge amount of functionality for productivity by having only a BB in my opinion and I don't see any gain i would get to make it worthwhile.
    10-05-13 05:00 PM
    I have been with Blackberry since the first Storm debacle. My Torch fell 130 feet a couple of weeks ago and that was the end of that. Bought an HTC One and finally I have apps! I have been waiting for a decent banking app that worked for me for a long time with BB. And the choices I now have with Android is awesome. There is not only apps for everything, there are choices of apps for everything. Not just one or two. BB's are decent phones, but without app support people will continue to leave. There are aspects of my BB phone that I miss, but the overwhelming choices of apps choices makes up for it. The "BB's aren't for slackers and hipsters" argument is so old hat and untrue.
    10-05-13 05:22 PM
    Want to know today's feeding times at the Artis Zoo? There's an app for that - available on Google Play and iTunes.

Want a guided audio tour of the Rijksmuseum? There's an app for that - available on Google Play and iTunes.

Want to know the Connexxion bus schedule in the Netherlands? There's an app for that - available on Google Play and iTunes.

It's not just the "big" apps that are missing from BB10, it's apps developed for independent organisations like those I've listed above. Those organisations have to spend real money to get their apps; do you really think they are likely to spend the money on an OS that has less than 1% market share? Thousands of organisations like those exist around the world. To me, this is a much bigger problem for BB10 than not having Netflix or Instagram.

And, yes, you can get much of the same information on your browser (see http://cxx.nl/qr/57002450/cxx for a wonderful implementation of live bus timings at a stop in Amsterdam), but the vast majority of the population want an app. Those people may be wrong, but they out number you by 10s of millions.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by LunchAt1; 10-06-13 at 12:12 AM.
    10-05-13 05:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    All about productivity for me. I can get a check on Friday, and mail the check to my bank and wait about a week for deposit as long as the government shutdown doesn't extend to the postal service, or I can deposit it ON THE SPOT with an application the bank has made specifically to make my life easier. And for less than the cost of the BB10 device.

I can scan, edit, sign, collaborate and share documents with de-facto industry standards simultaneously. How about creating podcasts while taking an echocardiogram? Or collating and submitting BP results in real time?

That is the type of decisions I need to make to be as productive as possible daily. I need my device to be a decent, reasonable laptop replacement as much as possible.

I respectfully reference the CB10 app you use. Is using the browser not an option. Why don't you use the browser, awesome as it is?
    10-05-13 05:54 PM
    It isn't a perceived deficiency. It is a very real deficiency. From my standpoint BBs are not even competitive as mobile computers. I think the majority of people feel this way. They can't run the software that people want so they have little to offer. To me, they are phones with a decent email client, not particularly better than in iOS or Android but decent, and a browser. That isn't competitive with a mobile computer that has thousands of job specific and situation specific programs available for it. I would sacrifice a huge amount of functionality for productivity by having only a BB in my opinion and I don't see any gain i would get to make it worthwhile.
    I do agree with you on the real app deficiency in terms of overall number and popular applications on the BB10 platform. No doubt about that. Do I perceive this as a problem for me? ... no. Unfortunately I am in the minority in not wanting my phone aka mobile computer to be a one stop shop for all my computing needs and entertainment. If I want a proper mobile computer I will buy a Windows tablet or convertible laptop not a mobile phone with compromised screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 06:00 PM
    I do agree with you on the real app deficiency in terms of overall number and popular applications on the BB10 platform. No doubt about that. Do I perceive this as a problem for me? ... no. Unfortunately I am in the minority in not wanting my phone aka mobile computer to be a one stop shop for all my computing needs and entertainment. If I want a proper mobile computer I will buy a Windows tablet or convertible laptop not a mobile phone with compromised screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's fine to not need apps; for all my talk, I probably use less than most BB10 people use.

However, I think BBRY has to continue to strive to appeal to both sets: hose that want em and those that don't. I think BBRY has tried; we can argue about the methods, but I believe BBRY recognizes the issue and tried/is trying to fix it.
    10-05-13 06:03 PM
    ...albeit apps are not the reason for BlackBerry's current situation. It will be interesting to see how it stands a month or two after they release BBM to Android & iOS.
    10-05-13 11:24 PM
    No one is interested in a "new" OS that brings nothing new to the table lol, the lack of apps is the least of someones worries considering you can side load most of android apps anyway.
    10-06-13 12:37 AM
    If you have to rely on side loaded in Google apps witch don't perform like they do in there original format than what's the point!?? How can a platform call it's self business friendly with out essential apps like square reader and quick books I mean come on those apps are more important than face book and twitter in the eyes of a business
    Z10.10.2 going on some other platforms

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 02:04 AM
    It is mainly down to lack of essential apps, and the sub-par apps - and the fact that so any apps on BlackBerry are charged for.
    On android and ios you can usually find a free version of the particular app you want, not so with BlackBerry.
    This was a big mistake for BlackBerry, but something that can easily be rectified by throwing enough cash at it.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 05:49 AM
    Hello

aim following this thread an speak from the german market:

BBRY is not recognized here for mainstream. Only for business.

The main problem still is:

- lack of important apps.
    -> for me as an example: My hosted pbx provider have no app for ip calling on bb10. So actually i am not able to use my hosted pbx provider for calling.
    -> playing games like Kingdom Rush Frontier or similar.
    (Yes i want to come down with such apps in my free time)

- Hardware is not fine in usability of form factor - little bit specs too.
    -> Folks, i owned the new Z30 : Really, this piece of hardware is bigger as an S4, much more heavier and in specs lower than S4, Sony Z1.
    Why?
    My S4 works same time as the Z30 with higher specs and better in small hands. (battery works same time as my Z30!)
    If you compare both devices, i feel much better on my S4 as on the Z30. Because of the great form factor of my S4.
    Believe me, iam a hardcore BB fan, but this makes me really crazy.

So in core markets, like Germany, USA or UK, BB will lost more and more, if they spent not more in better devices and their marketing engagements.
    I love the hub and business things on BB10, but for example on Android:
    Integrated SIP Account for calling is available there. Why not on a BB10 OS?
    Android or Windows have much more Business inside as BB10.

Lack of apps makes his way that BBRY will die.
    Right, developers have to build their apps for this great OS, but with a market share lower that 2%, who wants to make this work?

For me: BBRY should make their OS for Handhelds free and install it on a Samsung S4. Also make the Android Player more usable in BB10.

Thats my mind.

Alex
    10-06-13 06:26 AM
    For what it's worth, Android came out in 2007 as well. It only started to pick up steam in the last few years, but even when it launched in 2007 it was leaps and bounds ahead of the extremely limiting BBOS 5 that we had at the time.
    For what it's worth, Android was introduced in 2007, but the first Android phone wasn't released until October 2008. We still have my wife's G1 laying around the house somewhere

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-06-13 06:38 AM
    I believe that the lack of having popular apps available is like going school wear no name brand clothes: if you don't have the popular brand you're not worthy. That's not true but it's what people think. I had friends who switched because of that. I love my z10. I'm not switching. I'm disappointed that I don't have some of the apps that connect me to my friends or some of the services I use but it's quality and security I enjoy. Plus, a lot programs tapping into their parent website anyway. Remember, the US military has sanction the use of BlackBerry devices on their secure communication infrastructure. Apple and Android...umm...not! BlackBerry needs to re brand themselves and get quality major apps.

We also must keep in mind that apps are part of the solution. There is a plethora of other things that need to be reviewed like their work force; audience real needs vs perceived needs; the future younge executives in the business world and their decision to use blackberry when they rule the world,it starts now; etc.

I'm rooting for the under dog. Go team BlackBerry.
    10-06-13 06:50 AM
    I believe that the lack of having popular apps available is like going school wear no name brand clothes: if you don't have the popular brand you're not worthy. That's not true but it's what people think. I had friends who switched because of that. I love my z10. I'm not switching. I'm disappointed that I don't have some of the apps that connect me to my friends or some of the services I use but it's quality and security I enjoy. Plus, a lot programs tapping into their parent website anyway. Remember, the US military has sanction the use of BlackBerry devices on their secure communication infrastructure. Apple and Android...umm...not! BlackBerry needs to re brand themselves and get quality major apps.

We also must keep in mind that apps are part of the solution. There is a plethora of other things that need to be reviewed like their work force; audience real needs vs perceived needs; the future younge executives in the business world and their decision to use blackberry when they rule the world,it starts now; etc.

I'm rooting for the under dog. Go team BlackBerry.
    I think that has some accuracy but really understates the problem. The apps are in many cases for productivity. It isn't just that it doesn't look good, it makes you less productive to use a BlackBerry as your sole phone in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:13 AM
    BlackBerry was NEVER meant for everyone. BlackBerry devices appeal to a particular subset of society.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    10-06-13 10:43 AM
    I think blackberry simply came into the game too late to catch up now. Blackberries used to be prime devices but fell behind in the advances apple and other android phones made.

I think it's unclear who blackberry are targeting. The arguments are always the same on the forums here:
    BlackBerry is a phone for people who want to get work done.
    Apple and Android are for those who want to play games etc.

These days all phones basically do the same thing. It comes down to personal preference.

If blackberry want to compete with Apple and Andriod phones then yes, they need apps, marketing, and throw in some beats headphones or something.

For the general consumer, people want the latest phone with a fingerprint scanner or bluetooth speakers that can link to multiple devices. It's lame, but blackberry needs some creative bull**** to compete.

Otherwise, be a business phone and try to run the company targeting that small market. They need to decide who they are making their phones for.

I like my Q10 but it feels like I'm using an old laptop or something sometimes. Little buggy, not everything is compatible and the software seems a bit archaic.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:53 AM
    ... people have the perception "not belonging" if they dont use the same phone as all their friends use.
    Posted via CB10
    This is the case with all that I know. If find it interesting for them to argue my Q10 will not do certain things until I show them it will. It gets quiet real quick - then envy sets in. If they would just do some self research instead of listening to others.

Now the hurdle for BB is to get those "others" to feel "not belonging". *grin*
    10-06-13 11:02 AM
327 ... 89101112 ...