I think this "app shortage" is hyped up by the media, unfortunately.
    I am truly interested in hearing how, in your estimation, the app gap is seemingly a figment of the media's imagination. Even BBRY itself acknowledges that a lack of apps has hurt it.
    10-04-13 01:07 PM
    I don't think it's the apps either. I think that the brand has been tarnished far beyond any reconciliation at this point and they are not doing themselves any favors by not keeping up with spec wars and BlackBerry phones are over priced imo

Posted via CB10
    +1. It's definitely a brand problem. The OS and the apps are honestly really good quality.
    10-04-13 01:07 PM
    ... They have an ... unpolished OS compared to the Android and IOS.

In what way is BB10 "unpolished?"

You want to talk about productivity? Then as a corporate user, most corporate APP needed are no where to be found...
    Such as? I just did a cursory look and came up with the following "corporate" apps that are available:

Mobility for SAP
    SAP Customer Financial Fact Sheet
    Docs 2 Go
    Print To Go
    Citrix Receiver
    Webex
    BlackBerry Enterprise IM
    harmon.ie Enterprise: Office 365 and Sharepoint Client
    harmon.ie Lite: Office 365 and Sharepoint Client
    HotSpot Printing
    SQLTool Pro (Android port, but still...)
    SQL Server Mobile Manager (Another Android port)
    Cellica Database Anywhere
    A host of ssh/telnet/ftp clients
    TONS of remote desktop clients
    And more...

So what [essential] corporate apps are missing?

You have no concept of what a sophisticated smart phone user can do with apps. You can, for instance, remotely monitor next generation sequencing instruments with an iPhone app. You aren't even talking about the real universe, or at least this decade.
    It almost seems you're not separating the app from the phone. You could accomplish that same task faster and better on a Z10 if the developer made a proper app for it.

If I'm hearing you right, and I think that I am, you�re suggesting that consumers (people who pay for a device to make their lives easier/more productive) should, upon recognizing that their device does not satisfy their needs, start petitions to get things changed and, if necessary, cancel their Netflix, change their banks, not access the myriad of things that they would normally access through an app, not use the fitness bands, card scanners etc. that work with other platforms, and generally alter their lifestyles. Instead of simply choosing another handset?

I think I see who�s barking up the wrong tree.
    If a person likes their current phone but wants said apps, how else are they going to show developers that there is an interest/need for the app on said phone? Go on forums and whine about it incessantly? That's not going to get you anywhere. Like I said on another thread, there are no developers watching this forum. If there were, we'd have apps galore! So how else are the developers going to learn of the want for their app if no one takes the time to inform them? And another thing, some of you make it sound like it takes thousands of man hours and millions of dollars to develop an app for a platform. That couldn't be further from true. If it were true, there wouldn't be so many iPhone apps literally developed by children in the App Store. How much time and effort does it take for someone to throw together a bubble wrap app or fart app?? Please! Developers aren't making apps for BB simply because they're either too inept to do so or just plain obstinate because they're a firm full of fanboys for whatever platform they do develop for. Look at Sketch With Friends and Run In Crowd. WE got it first then iOS and Android. And guess what? Tons of us supported the developer by showing up and paying for the apps even though there were free versions! Why? Because the developer showed us some love, so we reciprocated in kind! And I think most of the developers that write for us know that we will support them [if it's a good app.] Heck, there have been several articles written attesting to the fact that developers make more money off their BB apps than they do off iOS and Android apps. Sure, it's the fact that they charge us sometimes 3 or more times what the other platforms are charged. However, we STILL pay! So there really is no justifiable excuse for there to not be more of the latest apps on BB.
    Last edited by tayl0rd; 10-04-13 at 01:25 PM.
    10-04-13 01:08 PM
    I work at a carrier corporate store, and no. The "no apps" has turned into a catch phrase that really just means "BlackBerry is failing and I (the public) has little to no confidence in it.". The problem is perception. It's a qualitative question, rather than a quantitative one.

Night Radio Show Tune-In and Discussion: C0012487D Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS: C00121BDD
    I am truly interested in hearing how, in your estimation, the app gap is seemingly a figment of the media's imagination. Even BBRY itself acknowledges that a lack of apps has hurt it.
    My point was that there are a few big brand names (like Netflix and Instagram... though, do you notice how it's always these two that people cite?) but beyond that, the playing field is level because the independent smaller devs on iOS make some pretty crappy apps.
    BlackBerry need to focus on getting the apps they need to silence the nay sayers. Once that happens the marketers need to do there job better than any body else.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it's the apps either. I think that the brand has been tarnished far beyond any reconciliation at this point and they are not doing themselves any favors by not keeping up with spec wars and BlackBerry phones are over priced imo
    Would you say that BBRY has a worse image than MSFT?
    10-04-13 01:09 PM
    I don't even see what the discussion is about. Talk to a sales rep, people come in and see the new BlackBerry, either from an ad, or a friend, and ask "can it do instagram?" the answer is no, and it's totally shutdown time.
    10-04-13 01:10 PM
    It was just yesterday when I had this conversation with Netflix Support:

You are now chatting with: Megan
    9 minutes ago Netflix Megan
    Hi there! My name is Megan and I will be assisting you today! May I ask who I'm chatting with?
    9 minutes ago You
    Hi, this is Raffi.
    8 minutes ago Netflix Megan
    Hi Raffi! How can I help this morning?
    7 minutes ago You
    I just had a quick question. I got a BlackBerry 10 phone recently and I was looking through the supported devices list, and I see that Netflix is on pretty much every device except the BlackBerry 10 phones. I was wondering when it would be supported?
    7 minutes ago Netflix Megan
    Let me check on that for you raffi! Just one moment. . .
    6 minutes ago You
    Thanks!
    5 minutes ago Netflix Megan
    Thanks so much for waiting! Ok, so they hold up with blackberry is that we are waiting for them to make an app for their device. . .we just provide content. We have no dates on that as of yet. But that is the general hold up.
    3 minutes ago You
    Ohh I see, so BlackBerry is going to make the app? Is that what happens with the other phones like Windows Phone too?
    2 minutes ago Netflix Megan
    Exactly. . .every device that has a netflix app has an app made by the company that makes the device. . .this is supposed to cut down on errors.
    2 minutes ago You
    Okay, that's interesting. I didn't know that. I would have thought blackberry would have wanted to get that out the gate ages ago.
    50 seconds ago You
    Okay well, thanks then. I can't really sign up until it's released so hopefully that's soon.
    19 seconds ago Netflix Megan
    I hope so too! Have a better day! And one more thing, if you wouldn’t mind, please stay online for a one question survey.
    I tried tweeting about it to CrackBerry and BlackBerry but they ignored me.

Netflix is claiming to be waiting on BlackBerry to build the app so that they can provide the content. I don't understand how this can be true.
    10-04-13 01:11 PM
    LOL, because it isn't. Ask 10 different reps why, and you'll get 30 different answers.

App ransom, IMHO.
    10-04-13 01:14 PM
    I think it's all about the apps, blackberry has to step up and get the app or they will never be any closer to android or iphone.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 01:15 PM
    Well to put it simple in my opinion, apps do play a great role in boosting phone sales.

While BlackBerry is at it still some good apps are missing. BlackBerry devices are really cool. I rock a z10 in my workplace.

Some good apps have already been made available in BlackBerry app world. While some are in the process.

Well for business executive like me it does all I need. I used to have instagram when I had iphone then it was really boring. Candycrush killed my time but I hated it when I reached level 41 and stopped using it. I use facebook for posting photos and for some messaging.

I spend most of my time engaging in productive bbm groups and some cb10 forums.

But apps will help BlackBerry grow. Thats clear.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 01:18 PM
    I was having a problem with the lack of apps for my Q10 but yesterday I figured out how to get every Android app I could want and to have them work perfectly.

I simply dumped my Q10 and got a Android.
    Maybe for you personally it is "overrated". For most it is absolutely NOT.

I had a BB since ~2008 and loved it. I especially loved my Q10 as it is an incredible piece of hardware. But that is it. They have been great devices for my business in the past but now the Androids and I phones do everything they do and much more.

I relied on a few apps to conduct my day to day business and survived without all the other apps i could not get on my curves and bolds etc.

When I got my Q10 and there was no Call Control app or B of A app I started sideloading everything. Most everything did not work because of the smaller screen on the Q10 and I had to reload the ones that did with every OS leak I installed. Bof A did not work at all. Square reader was somewhat non-functional.

My Galaxy has a built in "Add to reject list" so whenever a spammer calls i just add them and they never get through again. Why in the hell does blackberry not have this? As a business owner this is my most important app/function which saves me so much time from taking crappy calls.

The only thing good about sideloading was that it made me realized that there are a ton more apps that can make my business more productive if I could only get them.

What I am not liking about the Android is all the crap that comes on it that I cannot remove. With blackberry i was stuck with BBM which i never used but with this android I have tons of Google crap and it is hard to control permissions.
    Last edited by Tahoedan; 10-04-13 at 01:35 PM.
    10-04-13 01:18 PM
    I don't think it's overrated at all. I don't use to many apps, I only have one page on my iPad and 2 pages on my phone, but even then over half of the apps that I use are not on BB10 or the 3rd party options are sub-par.
    10-04-13 01:23 PM
    I was having a problem with the lack of apps for my Q10 but yesterday I figured out how to get every Android app I could want and to have them work perfectly.

I simply dumped my Q10 and got a Android.
    Maybe for you personally it is "overrated". For most it is absolutely NOT.

I had a BB since ~2008 and loved it. I especially loved my Q10 as it is an incredible piece of hardware. But that is it. They have been great devices for my business in the past but now the Androids and I phones do everything they do and much more.

I relied on a few apps to conduct my day to day business and survived without all the other apps i could not get on my curves and bolds etc.

When I got my Q10 and there was no Call Control app or B of A app I started sideloading everything. Most everything did not work because of the smaller screen on the Q10 and I had to reload the ones that did with every OS leak I installed. Bof A did not work at all. Square reader was somewhat non-functional.

My Galaxy has a built in "Add to reject list" so whenever a spammer calls i just add them and they never get through again. Why in the hell does blackberry not have this? As a business owner this is my most important app/function which saves me so much time from taking crappy calls.

The only thing good about sideloading was that it made me realized that there are a tone more apps that can make my business more productive if I could only get them.

What I am not liking about the Android is all the crap that comes on it that I cannot remove. With blackberry i was stuck with BBM which i never used but with this android I have tones of Google crap and it is hard to control permissions.
    Fair point. The bloat on non-Nexus devices is dismal. I like the option of being rooted to get rid of them (NASCAR app... are you freakin' kidding me?) and 4.3 helps with the permissions.

But yes, the bloatware sucks.
    10-04-13 01:23 PM
    I'm sure this has been said in this forum already, but being a front line cellular sales employee, I see that the apps are probably the number 2 reason people aren't buying. I have done countless demos and people are amazed and love it and want it and then the inevitable "Instagram?" question comes up and their eyes begin to wander away from the conversation. I have thankfully gotten a fair amount to grab it after showing them how to sideload, but it's definitely one of the biggest turn offs. The number one in my opinion is perception. The brand perception is absolutely awful and I hear more "BlackBerry is bankrupt, they closed shop two years ago, who wants a BB? It doesn't do anything why would you want that?" (obviously unaware of BB10 Vs BBOS) statements than anything.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 01:24 PM
    I don't think it's overrated at all. I don't use to many apps, I only have one page on my iPad and 2 pages on my phone, but even then over half of the apps that I use are not on BB10 or the 3rd party options are sub-par.
    I use few myself.

The funny thing is, judging by the screenshot threads, BBRY users use way more apps than non-BBRY users that I know.
    10-04-13 01:24 PM
    I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

I think is its the cool factor thats stalling bb10 from gaining traction.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is and that's exactly why BlackBerry is doing so well without them.
    10-04-13 01:25 PM
    I honestly LOVE my BlackBerry Z10! I was waiting on this device long before it was available to purchase! I have ALWAYS been a loyal BlackBerry customer.. Going back to my Pearl days! ALL my friends, family members and acquaintances used to own BlackBerry devices as well.. Until that very reason began to become an obvious problem. A lot of my friends had Netflix and Skype and downloaded on their PC. Once it became available on phones and BlackBerry didn't have it in their App World, a lot of them started looking else where for devices that offered those apps.. As I said before I love my Z10 but I must admit, I too sometimes wish what this device would be like with Instagram, more than a preview for Skype, Netflix, Vine(ALL apps that I used regularly) available to download. It would make my user experience so much better knowing I don't have to rely on my girlfriends S4 just to check up with what's going on in my other social media apps that I can't get or don't fully work on my own device. Its a pain for both of us because she always says, 'why don't you just get my phone' since I'm ALWAYS using it.. of only once or twice daily.. and it makes me feel stupid because I know I have the money to get an Android or some other phone but never will because of my stubborn loyalty to BlackBerry.

P.S. Sorry for typing so much..

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 01:27 PM
    I think apps are over rated. Most I phone apps are Crap and bb10 gas what I need, banking, news, productivity

BlackBerry?s problems stem from the markets writing them off as a company making purchasers skittish of losing support

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 01:29 PM
    In terms of a factor of someone buying a BB10 over another phone I think it is and it isn't; it's more really about confidence. If developers aren't confidant about an OS that has a lot of effects which can lead to a lack of consumer confidence in the brand, and like it's been mentioned before by Crackberry, it's like a self fulfilling prophecy, in order to get the confidence we need confident people, and most of this this down to marketing, of which there have been big discussion about Blackberry's failure in that department, I think the main thing is, they marketed with and OS7 mindset when what they need is to market that 'cool' factor. Smart phones have become so similar that it's all about the little things, e.g Samsung have a s4 with a brilliant camera, and a s4 that's waterproof. IPhone brought the fingerprint thing. What has BlackBerry got that sets it apart from others not just the software (hub etc) but what's really coll on the hardware side, that's what will sell. Gotta get brand confidence back..

Kind Regards, Tino Chiko C0008DDD1 TechCraze!
    10-04-13 01:31 PM
    For the laymen who supposedly form the majority of smart phone user base, the only thing that drives them into buying a smart phone is flashy icons/ user interface and apps. In a world where apple and samsung have deep rooted into the smart phone users' minds, BlackBerry needs to throw something convincing to catch their attention. When I bought my Z10 in March 2013, I tried explaining the features of the OS and the platform to my friends and they were like what good is a phone without Skype, Instagram, etc..
    Apps play a major role in selling a smartphone. Some people buy a smart phone simply to use Skype on the move so the deciding factor there is the app not the platform. In my case as an ardent fan of BlackBerry - I needed many apps that BB10 didn't have at the time of launching Z10 still I went ahead with a Z10 thinking time to come BlackBerry will soon introduce them. But as usual BlackBerry is always late. Almost a year has passed and no significant improvements. Other problem with BlackBerry is that they thing introducing android ports will resolve the issue and that what they have done for Skype. As a customer I feel cheated! Don't think everyone likes android ports. I HATE them. Why do you introduce an all new OS and then load it with android crap? In that case one would switch to android itself. So BlackBerry cannot keep blowing the new OS trumpet and wait till people buy their phones. When this is frustrating to a BlackBerry fan like myself. I can understand how the general smart phone user community would respond. So who ever who says apps don't matter! Is speaking for themselves.

Posted via CB10
    Tahoedan likes this.
    10-04-13 01:40 PM
    I agree that apps, and the "app situation", is overrated. However, the reality is that consumers want apps, and lots of them...even if they never use any of them. Sheer abundance gives the impression that if one was to ever want a particular app it should be available, even if the app does not exist. It is all about the comfort that comes with believing it is there....if you want it.
    Good post. I agree that there is a state of "app anxiety" that people are suffering from. Unless I was using some business critical software I would hate to be so invested in an ecosystem or unique application that I would fear to move away from it or try something else. For BB10 to have all the big name applications merely puts BlackBerry in a me too position in a market where they have lost significant momentum and I doubt even then there would be any significant migration to the patform. Having a fully stocked appstore is like trawling a supermarket... I know I'll find what I want but it won't be a liberating or exclusive experience. Maybe BlackBerry need to look away from trying to compete on volume of apps but rather focus on higher quality / niche apps for the "prosumers" and open minded individuals. They should keep promoting the full featured web browsing experience (with Flash) for when the app isn't available, ensure no proprietary lock-in, and provide a level of user experience and security that is second to none.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 01:58 PM
    BlackBerry must keep ears and eyes open in customer voices... banking apps are missing why? business phone without banking apps??????? , categorising contacts in groups (customers, family, friends) in OS10 is missing, why????? Battery life isn't enough .. for a business phone.... why???? maps????? There are many reasons that keeps BlackBerry down. I'm a BlackBerry user for years, I was expecting something more competitive, hub is excellent , secure environment is the reason , bbm is awesome, I keep moving with BlackBerry, I expect more... people expect more... we do keep moving.... what RIM or BlackBerry does?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 02:00 PM
    A great discussion.

I tried Androids and iphones and they were more a novelty for me rather than a daily productivity tool. That's part of it. If you need your phone for work/professional tasks or just need a communications first device, BlackBerry is the way to go. That my opinion on it.

And what is an iPhone without the apps? It's not much and certainly not as complete experience as a BlackBerry without apps out of the box. Sure an android without apps can be modded, hacked, and do a lot without apps. But an iPhone is a mediorce phone at best without the app ecosystem.

While I don't need netflix, instagram, or the other playtime apps on my phone I understand blackberry needs them IF they want to continue to pursue the average mainstream consumer market. I'd like to see Starbucks app and the Tether app on BB10 but I see those as "productivity" apps as one saves time and the other increases usefulness of on the go working.

If playtime apps (and I mean apps for fun like games, movies, sharing photos of your lunch) are something you enjoy then iPhone it up. But without apps the iPhone is nothing.

If productivity and communication are tops on your list then Blackberry is what you want. Because you don't need to download a ton of apps to get a great out of box experience with blackberry.

I tried an iPhone for a few months, after the novelty wore off of netflix and games (It wasn't my thing) it was just a mediocre communication device that did not excel in what I needed it to do.

I think iphones need apps to continue to sell or be embraced, the blackberry by design doesn't and that niche is where blackberry needs to focus.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    10-04-13 02:06 PM
327 ... 45678 ...