NO. Apple would lose the mainstream fairly quickly if all the big apps vanished... everyone and "all their friends" would just pick a new winner.
    they already are anyway aren't they despite the app situation? doesn't Android now sell 3 for every 1 IPhone these days

correct me if im wrong
    10-03-13 08:33 AM
    Your opinion is dead wrong. And you should be banned. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Ehh, you know how many people go out and buy phones because all of their friends have the same phones? Millions, so he's not "dead" wrong really

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    10-03-13 10:25 AM
    Ehh, you know how many people go out and buy phones because all of their friends have the same phones? Millions, so he's not "dead" wrong really

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    My family and I all bought BlackBerries because of BBM.

How is that different?

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    10-03-13 11:07 AM
    Remember the days when blackberry ran the construction world as well as business? I have been using BlackBerry since the beginning, however I am not computer savvy!! Could not wait to get my new BlackBerry z10 but I found out why android and ios is so popular. First day with the phone customer wants to pay by credit card OK let me get my square reader out, oops guess I can't get paid, try to find the quick books app that I pay for witch is a nice feature for small businesses can't get it. I can live with no games don't care, banking apps no big deal just use the browser. Had to pay the young kid to side load apps and install leaked o's because of my lack of computer skills. Not complaing just goes to show why all the old timers in the construction business are running ios. Personally I love my z10 and have always had BlackBerry s but some days I wish I still had my Android. Going to stick with it and get with the times guess I have to learn how to side load and install my own leaks for now on

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 11:51 AM
    It seems to me that people are missing the point with BB10. It's meant to be mobile computing. Do people never access Twitter on their desktop computers because there's no app? No. You go to the effin' website. Same goes for Facebook and loads of other stuff, including YouTube (speaking of YouTube, isn't a BB10 or PB YouTube app redundant? The browser handles Flash...). My bank doesn't have a BB app. Oh crap, I just access their website in my PB or Z10 browser.

Are there some apps that are nice? Sure. I use an instrument tuner, DocsToGo, PDF reader, a crossword app, and the built in apps. That's what I actually use. You want some games? That's cool. No arguments there.

Everyone keeps blaming BB for the lack of (mostly unnecessary) apps like Netflix and Kindle. Well, first of all, no one can force developers to make stuff. In regards to the companies like Netflix not playing nice, it's all politics. Netflix blocks a BB10 or PB browser. Most likely having to do with them using Microsoft Silverlight. Gee, now why on earth would Microsoft want to injure BlackBerry???? Same for Kindle (Amazon), although Amazon Prime works in the browser. IDK what Instagram's problem is. Personally I don't care but I know other people do and I respect that.

The point is: You are all barking up the wrong tree. You want your bank to have a BB10 app? Tell them that. You're annoyed with the lack of Netflix? Call them, tell them they're being tools, cancel and go elsewhere. You want Instagram? Well, Tweet or blog about how you're ditching Instagram because you can apply fun filters to photos a million different ways, including the Z10 suite.
    Quit blaming BlackBerry. Focus your efforts where they might make a difference.
    For the "cool" factor: people think something's cool when you tell them it is. BlackBerry's marketing department needs to be publicly flogged for their massive, ongoing failure.
    If I'm hearing you right, and I think that I am, you�re suggesting that consumers (people who pay for a device to make their lives easier/more productive) should, upon recognizing that their device does not satisfy their needs, start petitions to get things changed and, if necessary, cancel their Netflix, change their banks, not access the myriad of things that they would normally access through an app, not use the fitness bands, card scanners etc. that work with other platforms, and generally alter their lifestyles. Instead of simply choosing another handset?

I think I see who�s barking up the wrong tree.
    richardat, Moonbase0ne and SMocek like this.
    10-03-13 03:21 PM
    If I'm hearing you right, and I think that I am, you�re suggesting that consumers (people who pay for a device to make their lives easier/more productive) should, upon recognizing that their device does not satisfy their needs, start petitions to get things changed and, if necessary, cancel their Netflix, change their banks, not access the myriad of things that they would normally access through an app, not use the fitness bands, card scanners etc. that work with other platforms, and generally alter their lifestyles. Instead of simply choosing another handset?

I think I see who�s barking up the wrong tree.
    I think this is what some people do not understand. For a lot of people (who are not die-hard fans or fluid enough to carry multiple devices), it is just easier to get another device that does the things they need.
    10-03-13 03:28 PM
    I think this is what some people do not understand. For a lot of people (who are not die-hard fans or fluid enough to carry multiple devices), it is just easier to get another device that does the things they need.
    Of course it is, for virtually everyone.

Posted via CB10
    anfidhlear likes this.
    10-03-13 04:12 PM
    It's all about apps. Smartphones were designed to help make life easier. To some people it's keeping in contact on social forums and others by text or email. But since apps have been designed for number of uses, why would someone was is accustomed to using banking apps, car apps, etc switch to a device that won't give them the same usage? People won't plain and simple.
    10-03-13 04:34 PM
    It seems to me that people are missing the point with BB10. It's meant to be mobile computing. Do people never access Twitter on their desktop computers because there's no app? No. You go to the effin' website. Same goes for Facebook and loads of other stuff, including YouTube (speaking of YouTube, isn't a BB10 or PB YouTube app redundant? The browser handles Flash...). My bank doesn't have a BB app. Oh crap, I just access their website in my PB or Z10 browser.

Are there some apps that are nice? Sure. I use an instrument tuner, DocsToGo, PDF reader, a crossword app, and the built in apps. That's what I actually use. You want some games? That's cool. No arguments there.

Everyone keeps blaming BB for the lack of (mostly unnecessary) apps like Netflix and Kindle. Well, first of all, no one can force developers to make stuff. In regards to the companies like Netflix not playing nice, it's all politics. Netflix blocks a BB10 or PB browser. Most likely having to do with them using Microsoft Silverlight. Gee, now why on earth would Microsoft want to injure BlackBerry???? Same for Kindle (Amazon), although Amazon Prime works in the browser. IDK what Instagram's problem is. Personally I don't care but I know other people do and I respect that.

The point is: You are all barking up the wrong tree. You want your bank to have a BB10 app? Tell them that. You're annoyed with the lack of Netflix? Call them, tell them they're being tools, cancel and go elsewhere. You want Instagram? Well, Tweet or blog about how you're ditching Instagram because you can apply fun filters to photos a million different ways, including the Z10 suite.
    Quit blaming BlackBerry. Focus your efforts where they might make a difference.

For the "cool" factor: people think something's cool when you tell them it is. BlackBerry's marketing department needs to be publicly flogged for their massive, ongoing failure.
    oh I guess I got confused. I didn't know I work for blackberry. I didn't know that android and iOS paid their customers to go out and convince companies to make apps for their phones. When is my paycheck coming cause I've been hounding a few companies for at least 3 years to make a bb app and I would like my paycheck

oh and like a few others that apps I need aren't games or movie viewers they are items for work and websites are you seem to think are not always a viable option.
    richardat likes this.
    10-03-13 05:41 PM
    so it is by chance that bb doesn't have apps? you're saying bb was fated to fail from the start?

It's a "chicken or egg" situation. Developers aren't putting the work into BB because they don't feel there is a large enough customer base. There aren't as many customers because there aren't as many apps.

iOS didn't have a billion apps when they started, but people bought the devices because at the time they were groundbreaking technology, but also because of Apple's excellent marketing, as well as the previous success of the iPod and iTunes. iTunes had already caused the majority of the market think that was the only way to get mp3s. Let us not forget that during the DRM wars, you were stuck with iTunes if you wanted access to the music you had already paid for. I can't believe how many times, way back in the height of iPods, I had to explain to people that my mp3 player did everything an iPod did. It did not compute for them. They would get stuck on "but it's not an iPod?", and give up in confusion.
    If you bought an iPhone, you could effortlessly transfer your existing music through iTunes. The iOS app store wasn't full of cheap or free apps at first. For quite some time, apps were bloody expensive. I knew people that were spending over $100 a month at the App Store and iTunes. Apple made it easy to blow your money, and they get a cut of all of it.
    Also remember that Apple further locks people in with proprietary format accessories.

The average user is still grossly misinformed, and probably always will be. Go read user comments on smartphones and any related accessories (Bluetooth devices, etc.) on shopping sites or user review videos on YouTube, etc. People are still asking if they can use their Bluetooth headset that they bought for their iPhone if they buy a Z10, and similar questions that would be a no-brainer for you or me.

I feel with Android porting and all BlackBerry has done to court developers, they may have done all they can. Which brings us back to the original question: do you really need all those apps? With iOS, yes. With Android, maybe (or probably)? With BB10 OS, no - I don't feel I do.
    My argument all hinges on people who love the BB10 devices but aren't switching because of one app. Some of them will probably never change, but I firmly believe that if BB can just get the devices in to people's hands, they will "see the light" as it were.

BB Marketing Department needs to be publicly flogged. They should have been (and still should be) doing loads of contests and giveaways. Make people earn it but within reach so they'll participate. Marketing needs to get with times and learn about a wacky concept called Viral Marketing.
    They blew an obscene amount of money on one Super Bowl advert. That would have been far better spent spread out over a long campaign of focused, targeted marketing and public events.
    Why haven't companies ditched BYOD? iOS and Android are security nightmares, and BB10 Balance is a SysAdmin's dream. Continuation of BYOD is baffling.

Would I like to see more apps? Sure. I do not want it to be as big as the App Store or Market, which require wading through miles of crap to find a well made app.

The BB10 devices can stand on their own merit, the challenge is getting the devices in people's hands.
    Re-evaluation of pricing structure is also in order. Even if for just a short period of time to get the devices out there.
    10-03-13 05:41 PM
    If you find that a fitness band is your number one criterion for choosing your platform, then by all means, go where you can get that.
    I'm not being snarky, I don't know how else to write that in a way that might not be construed as such, so trust me.

I don't make fun of anyone for using another platform, I just know what's right for me.
    10-03-13 05:55 PM
    oh I guess I got confused. I didn't know I work for blackberry. I didn't know that android and iOS paid their customers to go out and convince companies to make apps for their phones.
    If they fight dirty, fight more cleverly.
    If Justin Bieber can become a worldwide star because of YouTube, BlackBerry can figure this out because unlike Bieber, BlackBerry 10 has the substance to back it up.
    Last edited by anfidhlear; 10-03-13 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Formatting error
    10-03-13 06:01 PM
    Remember the days when blackberry ran the construction world as well as business? I have been using BlackBerry since the beginning, however I am not computer savvy!! Could not wait to get my new BlackBerry z10 but I found out why android and ios is so popular. First day with the phone customer wants to pay by credit card OK let me get my square reader out, oops guess I can't get paid, try to find the quick books app that I pay for witch is a nice feature for small businesses can't get it. I can live with no games don't care, banking apps no big deal just use the browser. Had to pay the young kid to side load apps and install leaked o's because of my lack of computer skills. Not complaing just goes to show why all the old timers in the construction business are running ios. Personally I love my z10 and have always had BlackBerry s but some days I wish I still had my Android. Going to stick with it and get with the times guess I have to learn how to side load and install my own leaks for now on

Posted via CB10
    May I suggest you don't load leaked OS updates if you're (in your own words) not computer savvy? Check out the CB tutorial on sideloading via the Chrome browser plugin - it's nice and easy.
    10-03-13 06:09 PM
    It's a "chicken or egg" situation. Developers aren't putting the work into BB because they don't feel there is a large enough customer base. There aren't as many customers because there aren't as many apps.

iOS didn't have a billion apps when they started, but people bought the devices because at the time they were groundbreaking technology, but also because of Apple's excellent marketing, as well as the previous success of the iPod and iTunes. iTunes had already caused the majority of the market think that was the only way to get mp3s. Let us not forget that during the DRM wars, you were stuck with iTunes if you wanted access to the music you had already paid for. I can't believe how many times, way back in the height of iPods, I had to explain to people that my mp3 player did everything an iPod did. It did not compute for them. They would get stuck on "but it's not an iPod?", and give up in confusion.
    If you bought an iPhone, you could effortlessly transfer your existing music through iTunes. The iOS app store wasn't full of cheap or free apps at first. For quite some time, apps were bloody expensive. I knew people that were spending over $100 a month at the App Store and iTunes. Apple made it easy to blow your money, and they get a cut of all of it.
    Also remember that Apple further locks people in with proprietary format accessories.

The average user is still grossly misinformed, and probably always will be. Go read user comments on smartphones and any related accessories (Bluetooth devices, etc.) on shopping sites or user review videos on YouTube, etc. People are still asking if they can use their Bluetooth headset that they bought for their iPhone if they buy a Z10, and similar questions that would be a no-brainer for you or me.

I feel with Android porting and all BlackBerry has done to court developers, they may have done all they can. Which brings us back to the original question: do you really need all those apps? With iOS, yes. With Android, maybe (or probably)? With BB10 OS, no - I don't feel I do.
    My argument all hinges on people who love the BB10 devices but aren't switching because of one app. Some of them will probably never change, but I firmly believe that if BB can just get the devices in to people's hands, they will "see the light" as it were.

BB Marketing Department needs to be publicly flogged. They should have been (and still should be) doing loads of contests and giveaways. Make people earn it but within reach so they'll participate. Marketing needs to get with times and learn about a wacky concept called Viral Marketing.
    They blew an obscene amount of money on one Super Bowl advert. That would have been far better spent spread out over a long campaign of focused, targeted marketing and public events.
    Why haven't companies ditched BYOD? iOS and Android are security nightmares, and BB10 Balance is a SysAdmin's dream. Continuation of BYOD is baffling.

Would I like to see more apps? Sure. I do not want it to be as big as the App Store or Market, which require wading through miles of crap to find a well made app.

The BB10 devices can stand on their own merit, the challenge is getting the devices in people's hands.
    Re-evaluation of pricing structure is also in order. Even if for just a short period of time to get the devices out there.
    No apps are not needed, neither are phones. I could get a walkie talkie to communicate with the office when i'm working close by and just load up my backpack with 30 pounds of books to verify plant and animal identification and my laptop with autocad to check drawings.
    10-03-13 06:10 PM
    No apps are not needed, neither are phones. I could get a walkie talkie to communicate with the office when i'm working close by and just load up my backpack with 30 pounds of books to verify plant and animal identification and my laptop with autocad to check drawings.
    Uphill, both ways. In 5 feet of snow.
    May I ask just what it is you do for a living?
    10-03-13 06:19 PM
    ... I can't believe how many times, way back in the height of iPods, I had to explain to people that my mp3 player did everything an iPod did. It did not compute for them. They would get stuck on "but it's not an iPod?", and give up in confusion.
    I'm curious...what device was that. I had the same experience with my Zen Vision: M...a device far superior to the iPod.

I disagree. I've had the Z10 and the Q10 in my hands (one for a day, the other for several hours), and while each was a very nice device, neither "blew me away"...and prior to BB10, my position was that the new BlackBerry devices, once released, had to blow people away. Like many, I evaluated the pros and cons, and decided that something else was now a better fit for me. Subjective? Sure. I find the Q10 to be ugly and pedestrian compared to my old Bold 9900. But the point is, there are many here who've bought into the fantasy that BBRY is suffering only because people (namely "other" people) don't know what they have to offer. I simply don't believe that's true.

Again, I think they only stand on their own merits for a small portion of the market. A shrinking portion, at that. Pricing is always a sticky matter. Intuitively, lower prices attract a different (and arguably "bigger") segment of the market. However the further away from Apple pricing you place yourself, the further away from the perceived Apple quality and experience. Again, it's tricky.

If you find that a fitness band is your number one criterion for choosing your platform, then by all means, go where you can get that.
    I'm not being snarky, I don't know how else to write that in a way that might not be construed as such, so trust me.

I don't make fun of anyone for using another platform, I just know what's right for me.
    I can't tell if that's a "dig" at my last post. If so, it's a particularly weak argument to single out one item of a list (which list was only of a few representative examples) and critique its significance. I do agree with the general import of your comment, though.
    Last edited by litig8or98; 10-03-13 at 06:23 PM. Reason: I'm an apostrophe abuser
    richardat likes this.
    10-03-13 06:20 PM
    It is that you don't have a very accurate view of what people use phones, by way of apps, for. People using apps aren't all slackers, they are doing productive things other than email with apps.
    Some are being productive, most aren't. That's what I've seen anyway.
    10-03-13 06:35 PM
    I'm curious...what device was that. I had the same experience with my Zen Vision: M...a device far superior to the iPod.
    Zen Vision all the way baby!!!! I still use mine for a redundant safety backup of my MP3s, and it's still going strong. That thing was awesome!!!

I can't speak to the Q10 device because I don't have one, but what I can say, is that in my opinion and personal experience, there are so many "little" things about BB10 that are better than iOS or Android that actually turn out to be big things. Huge things. One of those for me is the custom dictionary. Seriously - did Apple bother putting that in iOS7? I honestly don't know, but I can tell you that if I'm typing in a family member's name, I don't want my damned phone constantly telling me it's wrong just because the almighty Apple has never heard it before.
    Not having to use bloody iTunes is huge for me. iTunes has and probably always will be a complete POS application.
    Androids are a data pigs. Years ago, both the spouse and I had Curve 8520s (I know. Don't start please ). I washed mine by accident. In my defense it was the first time in over 10 years of mobile ownership I had ever committed such a boneheaded offense. I was ready to accept my folly and pay my carrier for a new phone. The BBs were still a lacking selection on my carrier and still on BBOS 6 IIRC, so I went with what I could afford. I picked out an Android device.
    I used it for about 8 months and not only did I hate the interface and the Market, but I quickly noticed that our data usage had skyrocketed. Sure enough, as soon as I turned off the data services on the Android phone (still keeping the old 8520 Data on mind you), data usage plummeted.

Maybe it is just a small portion of the market where BlackBerry 10s stand on their own merit. The sad thing is, BBs are better phones all around in so many ways. I sure do like being able to change out the battery of my device by myself, and you'd think other people would too. I like being able to use a MicroSD card for a very cost effective additional storage solution, and while many Android phones offer this, the iPhones still don't. Samsung brags in their advert campaigns about what many think you need the "Bump" app for (via Bluetooth), but Z10 has built in NFC whereas iPhones still don't, and with Android phones it's a crapshoot dependent on the specific phone manufacturer and model.
    Speaking of which, I really can't stop thinking that anyone making the statement "Android is a better phone" is totally false logic, because Android is not a phone, it is an Operating System, and the features you may or may not get and even the OS version is utterly dependent on which phone you buy. If someone wants to debate how awesome the Galaxy s4 is, I'll listen to what they have to say, but when you really look at it, there is no "BlackBerry vs Android" or even "iPhone vs Android."
    There is "BlackBerry or iPhone vs Motorola or Samsung."

I was not making a dig on you, and I thank you for asking for clarification rather than jumping to conclusions.
    10-03-13 06:55 PM
    If BBRY was able to get permission to use Google Play, I'm sure you'd see a major ad blitz.
    it won't change anything as consumers want to stay away from Blackberry because it has a bad reputation for hardware and software
    10-03-13 07:00 PM
    Watch this, listen closely to what he says.

Personally, I think he's nuts for his decision to not use Z10 despite his rave review just because it doesn't have Instagram.
    Which once again poses the question: what the hell is Instagram's problem??

If nothing else, this video is a good insight into what a portion of the consumer base is feeling.
    10-03-13 07:01 PM
    And BTW, I didn't say "no apps are needed," I said I don't think that BB needs as many apps because of the built in abilities of BB10. As a previous commenter pointed out, Apps came about in the first place because of the shortcomings of the mobile operating systems.
    Social networking apps could be viewed as a "must have" because of notifications, but that is covered with the BB10 Hub.

I'm still curious what you do for a living...
    10-03-13 08:46 PM
    Watch this, listen closely to what he says.

Personally, I think he's nuts for his decision to not use Z10 despite his rave review just because it doesn't have Instagram.
    Which once again poses the question: what the hell is Instagram's problem??

If nothing else, this video is a good insight into what a portion of the consumer base is feeling.
    Why though? Why can't Instagram be his threshold app? I have some myself.

I managed social media for my organization. In that capacity, I can see a business person literally needing access to Instagram. But even if it's for play... why not? Why shouldn't my device have access to everything everyone else's has access to?

Look, it's okay to not use Instagram, but it is very bad for BBRY -- the supposed leader in mobile communication -- to not have access to some of the most compelling means of communication out there.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 10-04-13 at 05:07 AM.
    richardat and kcstrike like this.
    10-03-13 08:49 PM
    Hey OP, you couldn't have used one of the 18,975,436 other threads about BB and apps?
    10-03-13 09:22 PM
    I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

I think is its the cool factor thats stalling bb10 from gaining traction.

Posted via CB10
    You may think that.
    10-03-13 09:30 PM
    5+ years I've been hearing "apps don't matter"

It's like someone who is celibate because no one wants to have sex with them saying "sex is overated!"
    10-03-13 09:34 PM
327 ... 23456 ...