OP and Neil, we're you even thought how to human when you were young?

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask, did you type this using a dictation app? While you were eating dinner?
    10-02-13 07:21 PM
    Apps, apps, apps.......... get a life. who needs a fart board? Why do you need all these apps? Why would you want to watch a movie on the phone.

OP - you are not alone in this. I have far better things to do with my time than post a picture to some social platform that I couldn't give a monkeys about.

People need to get a life. When you look up from your phone you will find there are real people sat with you.

From my Q5
    how about you get a brain? not all apps are games or ways to watch movies, some of us need apps to view and draw on CAD files, or assist with species identification in the field. these are what I and many others have been waiting for years for blackberry to offer. I am the last hold out and I am about done if these apps do not finally make their way to BB. Some of us actually do work and don't simply talk on the phone and forward emails
    helio9965 likes this.
    10-02-13 07:23 PM
    You know what I learned today???? That you can pay for parking via an app.

Went to a meeting today with a colleague. Because DC is a ghost town due to the government shutdown, we decided to do the unthinkable, take his car. So off we went. I didn't notice that he didn't pay the meter. We were inside talking with some folks after the meeting when his iPhone went off. He laughed and said he needed to feed the meter...he did it from his phone.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/park...mt=8&at=10l3Vy
    Could he have gone downstairs to pay the meter? Sure. But we were having a nice chat with some people we hardly ever see because we always do teleconference. So yes, convenient.

THAT'S what apps do....they make things convenient. Did I get the app???? You bet I did!!!!! Another app I got.
    10-02-13 07:28 PM
    Dude IOS and Android Blinded people, Phones are now used for show off and entertainment rather than using it as a SMART Phone...
    New generation is messed up and its all coz of Apple...
    The next gerneration is a mess because of all the bad parents, a school system that won't fail anyone and a society where we have to make everyone feel good. Apple is just making a killing off the next and current generation not harming them.

iOS and Android saw what people wanted and gave it to them. BB saw what people wanted and said no you want this but we know what you need we will give you that instead of what you want. My parents were here to give me what I needed even if it hurt or I didn't want it, companies are here to offer me what I want not be my parents
    richardat likes this.
    10-02-13 07:46 PM
    I do believe that apps are serious problems for Blackberry; however, let’s not dismiss the subject of perception as well. I didn't use the word marketing because to me, marketing, or lack thereof leads to public perception. I think it's good that in spite of the perception surrounding Blackberry backing out of the consumer market and heading down the prosumer road, there seems to be a good number of highly valued apps coming over at a pretty consistent rate.
    10-02-13 08:13 PM
    It's a combination of things, the app situation is NOT helping in anyway and is certainly one of the top reasons. Whether you think it's overrated or not, it's reality.

"Hey nice phone..." Thanks it's a BlackBerry Z10. "BlackBerry? Pfft! That don't even got <insert app name>. Still, nice looking phone though."

^^
    A conversation I've had more times than I can even recall.
    I have this same conversation every time someone sees my BlackBerry. People are dependent on apps, there is no getting away from this. It makes people's lives easier, and more interesting despite what other say. If BlackBerry wants to people to buy a BlackBerry 10 device they need these apps. Thankfully we have some awesome indie devs who are working hard to bring us a solution.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 08:19 PM
    I beg to differ, the app situation is definitely not overrated, it is the #1 reason BB10 adoption has lagged badly. If the BlackBerry app ecosystem was similar to that of iOS or Android I can guarantee you that BlackBerry wouldn't be struggling to attract new/ previous users to the new BB10 devices.
    I am speaking from first hand experience of dealing with carrier reps across the board. Apps are one of the key drivers of smartphone adoption by the average consumer, you can argue whether or not all the apps are relevant or will be used by the consumer but that does not change the fact.
    10-02-13 08:30 PM
    Apps are absolutely a problem when it comes to adoption. You could even just say a single app is a huge problem.

"Oh wow is that the new BlackBerry?"
    Yes.
    "cool does it have X app?"
    No
    Oh, pfffftt that sucks I can't be without my X app.

Sent from my Motorola side view pager 4-5683-968
    10-02-13 08:30 PM
    I personally don't need many apps, and honestly don't think I would use the apps most people complain about not having on the platform. But unfortunately, for BlackBerry I am not majority of people. The app situation certainly hurt their success chances, among a long list of other things. Apps aren't the only reason, but they certainly are a reason.

Posted via CB10
    anfidhlear likes this.
    10-02-13 09:19 PM
    Of course Apps feature is over-rated. If I have an ugly girlfriend, I'd say beauty is over-rated as well
    Hahahaha nice

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    10-02-13 09:35 PM
    But is that concept subjective? I think its the flashiness of the iphone that sets it apart. I bet if netflix and all the other big apps stopped suppprting apple, people will still stay with apple just because people have the perception "not belonging" if they dont use the same phone as all their friends use.
    NO. Apple would lose the mainstream fairly quickly if all the big apps vanished... everyone and "all their friends" would just pick a new winner.
    10-02-13 11:51 PM
    Everyone I talk to has no idea BB10 exists and believes they're still running the archaic java based systems of yore :/
    The average phone user doesn't even know what "java" is... they may still think BB's are archaic but they'll continue to think that until the apps are there, no matter what OS technology the phone itself is running.
    anfidhlear likes this.
    10-02-13 11:53 PM
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask, did you type this using a dictation app? While you were eating dinner?
    No, I typed that on my full 5. I was using human as a verb, which would translate to "were you even taught how to not be selfish, arrogant and feel empathy..."

Thought was a typo, actually.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    10-03-13 01:28 AM
    It seems to me that people are missing the point with BB10. It's meant to be mobile computing. Do people never access Twitter on their desktop computers because there's no app? No. You go to the effin' website. Same goes for Facebook and loads of other stuff, including YouTube (speaking of YouTube, isn't a BB10 or PB YouTube app redundant? The browser handles Flash...). My bank doesn't have a BB app. Oh crap, I just access their website in my PB or Z10 browser.

Are there some apps that are nice? Sure. I use an instrument tuner, DocsToGo, PDF reader, a crossword app, and the built in apps. That's what I actually use. You want some games? That's cool. No arguments there.

Everyone keeps blaming BB for the lack of (mostly unnecessary) apps like Netflix and Kindle. Well, first of all, no one can force developers to make stuff. In regards to the companies like Netflix not playing nice, it's all politics. Netflix blocks a BB10 or PB browser. Most likely having to do with them using Microsoft Silverlight. Gee, now why on earth would Microsoft want to injure BlackBerry???? Same for Kindle (Amazon), although Amazon Prime works in the browser. IDK what Instagram's problem is. Personally I don't care but I know other people do and I respect that.

The point is: You are all barking up the wrong tree. You want your bank to have a BB10 app? Tell them that. You're annoyed with the lack of Netflix? Call them, tell them they're being tools, cancel and go elsewhere. You want Instagram? Well, Tweet or blog about how you're ditching Instagram because you can apply fun filters to photos a million different ways, including the Z10 suite.
    Quit blaming BlackBerry. Focus your efforts where they might make a difference.

For the "cool" factor: people think something's cool when you tell them it is. BlackBerry's marketing department needs to be publicly flogged for their massive, ongoing failure.
    10-03-13 06:02 AM
    BBRY is ultimately responsible for its own ecosystem.
    BerryWizard and richardat like this.
    10-03-13 06:11 AM
    It seems to me that people are missing the point with BB10. It's meant to be mobile computing. Do people never access Twitter on their desktop computers because there's no app? No. You go to the effin' website. Same goes for Facebook and loads of other stuff, including YouTube (speaking of YouTube, isn't a BB10 or PB YouTube app redundant? The browser handles Flash...). My bank doesn't have a BB app. Oh crap, I just access their website in my PB or Z10 browser.

Are there some apps that are nice? Sure. I use an instrument tuner, DocsToGo, PDF reader, a crossword app, and the built in apps. That's what I actually use. You want some games? That's cool. No arguments there.

Everyone keeps blaming BB for the lack of (mostly unnecessary) apps like Netflix and Kindle. Well, first of all, no one can force developers to make stuff. In regards to the companies like Netflix not playing nice, it's all politics. Netflix blocks a BB10 or PB browser. Most likely having to do with them using Microsoft Silverlight. Gee, now why on earth would Microsoft want to injure BlackBerry???? Same for Kindle (Amazon), although Amazon Prime works in the browser. IDK what Instagram's problem is. Personally I don't care but I know other people do and I respect that.

The point is: You are all barking up the wrong tree. You want your bank to have a BB10 app? Tell them that. You're annoyed with the lack of Netflix? Call them, tell them they're being tools, cancel and go elsewhere. You want Instagram? Well, Tweet or blog about how you're ditching Instagram because you can apply fun filters to photos a million different ways, including the Z10 suite.
    Quit blaming BlackBerry. Focus your efforts where they might make a difference.

For the "cool" factor: people think something's cool when you tell them it is. BlackBerry's marketing department needs to be publicly flogged for their massive, ongoing failure.
    so it is by chance that bb doesn't have apps? you're saying bb was fated to fail from the start?
    richardat likes this.
    10-03-13 06:14 AM
    NO. Apple would lose the mainstream fairly quickly if all the big apps vanished... everyone and "all their friends" would just pick a new winner.
    I tend to agree that if Android and iOS lost the apps, a lot of folks would go elsewhere.
    10-03-13 06:20 AM
    Apps, apps, apps.......... get a life. who needs a fart board? Why do you need all these apps? Why would you want to watch a movie on the phone.

OP - you are not alone in this. I have far better things to do with my time than post a picture to some social platform that I couldn't give a monkeys about.

People need to get a life. When you look up from your phone you will find there are real people sat with you.

From my Q5
    you are probably still using the pearl in your profile picture....that was my first BlackBerry in 2007....things changed since then.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 06:41 AM
    I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

I think is its the cool factor thats stalling bb10 from gaining traction.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that apps are overrated. There's a lot of scapegoating going on for the shortcomings of the product - hardware, software, and price. Of course, there are also many problems with things unrelated with the product like launch coordination and marketing. BBRY did so many things wrong we'll never be able to pin down what exactly sank the battleship. *shrug*

For the record, I do believe that if the Z10, Q10, and Q5 were truly great products that they would have made it out there in the marketplace.
    richardat likes this.
    10-03-13 06:46 AM
    False. The "cool factor" comes from perception. Would getting Instagram and Netflix and other random big name players make a platform cool?

No.

The company succeeded in creating a solid software with amazing potential for growth but failed to show it.

They are continuing to fail to show it.

Everyone I talk to has no idea BB10 exists and believes they're still running the archaic java based systems of yore :/
    "The cool factor comes from perception "

And why do people have the "perception " that bb10 is not as good as the other platforms ?

- less recent hardware technology
    - less applications
    - people hear about their products years before it's ready : they all think they are late delivering it.

Try arguing with that, I'm all ears....well...all eyes....

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-03-13 06:46 AM
    Dude IOS and Android Blinded people, Phones are now used for show off and entertainment rather than using it as a SMART Phone...
    New generation is messed up and its all coz of Apple...
    Lolll, you really need to get out of cb every now and then. You can't be seriously thinking that a smartphone shall only be used to talk,text and email do you ?
    I'm wondering who is the blinded user.....

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-03-13 06:53 AM
    I'm sorry, I don't accept that BB10 hasn't got apps because it's a step towards the as still undefined "mobile computing."

Saying so is a massive rationalisation of an unrealised and undefined concept.
    10-03-13 07:00 AM
    I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

I think is its the cool factor thats stalling bb10 from gaining traction.

Posted via CB10
    Your opinion is dead wrong. And you should be banned. Lol

Posted via CB10
    sexybabe88 likes this.
    10-03-13 07:01 AM
    I'm sorry, I don't accept that BB10 hasn't got apps because it's a step towards the as still undefined "mobile computing."

Saying so is a massive rationalisation of an unrealised and undefined concept.
    "Undefined concept" : that's their trade mark..
    *cough* "prosumers".....

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 07:03 AM
    I volunteer as a mentor one night a week after work teaching math to underprivileged students in the Washington, DC area. This week the semester started and at our meeting the program director told us about two new apps we will be using this year to help manage our students and our evaluations. She went right from the instructions and said "if you have a smartphone go to the App Store and download this now and we'll login together. If you don't have a smartphone, that's OK, you can come up and grab some paper forms and use that instead."

The word smartphone here is interesting because it basically means Android or iPhone since those are the only two stores where the app is available. It turns out there is a mobile website that works, but I didn't figure that out until two days later and the app is still much easier and more convenient to actually use.

This is definitely the long tail of apps, but this is what using a phone is like now. Every volunteer in the meeting had an android or iPhone, pulled it out of his/her pocket or bag, downloaded the app and we moved on to the next point. I call that moving forward and getting stuff done.

There are inconveniences which come with being an OS contrarian. I remember this from when I tried running Linux full time on my laptop. That experiment lasted about 3 months for me.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 10-03-13 at 07:31 AM.
    kbz1960, Tre Lawrence and SMocek like this.
    10-03-13 07:15 AM
327 12345 ...