I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

I think is its the cool factor thats stalling bb10 from gaining traction.
    You could use a course in logic, or human behaviour.

It's not necessarily that they do it, it's that they *can't* do it (without sideloading) -- it's the convenience factor more than the cool factor -- that will prevent people from picking up the phone in the first place.

Me, I had Netflix sideloaded on Z10. Worked fine, I didn't use it much anyway, I've since unsubscribed and let them know I wasn't happy about them not supporting BB10, fwiw.

The cool factor is the convenience of having apps readily available. You can re-jig or carve a new OS all you want, they're decent enough phones, but it's really the inconvenience factor. (Turning into the embarrassment factor when you tell people that BBM will be launched on their platforms on a given weekend...or heavens forbid, get a PlayBook, they'll be getting BB10.)

Lots of things turning BB into "not cool".

Oh, but tell customers they're wrong, they don't need Instagram or Netflix, or they're slackers--you should go work for BB, OP! You'd fit right in.
    edriss likes this.
    10-02-13 02:24 PM
    I agree that the app situation is somewhat overrated. The marketing team should have realized that not all apps are available and should have focused on the strengths of BlackBerry 10 and what sets it apart from the rest. Dedicate a commercial to the Time Shift camera. Dedicate a commercial to the keyboard. Dedicate a commercial to remote file access. How the heck did we not get any of this??????

We have a marketing failure on our hands. Pure and simple.
    I agree with this. Say that BB10 can suddenly access the Google Play store. If BlackBerry did not tell people via some kind of sustained marketing campaign, how would users know?
    10-02-13 02:27 PM
    I agree with this. Say that BB10 can suddenly access the Google Play store. If BlackBerry did not tell people via some kind of sustained marketing campaign, how would users know?
    If BBRY was able to get permission to use Google Play, I'm sure you'd see a major ad blitz.
    ankush77 likes this.
    10-02-13 02:30 PM
    apps are needed ,its the truth but there have been larger issues which have taken back the bb as a brand,they have been sluggish in launching their products and to add on it marketing abilities have failed completely
    10-02-13 02:31 PM
    Apps, apps, apps.......... get a life. who needs a fart board? Why do you need all these apps? Why would you want to watch a movie on the phone.

OP - you are not alone in this. I have far better things to do with my time than post a picture to some social platform that I couldn't give a monkeys about.

People need to get a life. When you look up from your phone you will find there are real people sat with you.

From my Q5
    But some how in your ultra productive life you found time to post on a forum to respond to strangers. Awesome
    10-02-13 02:34 PM
    Dude IOS and Android Blinded people, Phones are now used for show off and entertainment rather than using it as a SMART Phone...
    New generation is messed up and its all coz of Apple...

I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

Posted via CB10
    BKbehave likes this.
    10-02-13 02:55 PM
    Dude you think people give a damn about Time Shift Camera? or remote file access?? if you tell them you can remotely access your files on BB10 they will tell you I can install any app on my cute lil iphone to do that... and so on
    10-02-13 02:58 PM
    I agree that the app situation is somewhat overrated. The marketing team should have realized that not all apps are available and should have focused on the strengths of BlackBerry 10 and what sets it apart from the rest. Dedicate a commercial to the Time Shift camera. Dedicate a commercial to the keyboard. Dedicate a commercial to remote file access. How the heck did we not get any of this??????

We have a marketing failure on our hands. Pure and simple.
    I agree that the marketing has stunk. But, and I hate to break it to you, BBRY is not the only phone with TimeShift. Sure, they're the only ones that call it that, but it's not a unique feature.
    10-02-13 03:31 PM
    You want to talk about productivity? Then as a corporate user, most corporate APP needed are no where to be found... Yes SecurID did finally release their BB10 app but there are tons of business app that only exist on iOS and Android and nothing on BB10.
    10-02-13 03:45 PM
    the Ring Central app is a big problem for me. They have not created it for bb10 yet but they do have a post on their forum for people to indicate if they want it. Can get you guys to click on it to let them know people want it please? https://community.ringcentral.com/ri...y10_app-11njnv
    Thanks for the help.
    10-02-13 03:46 PM
    Well yes to some of us crackberry addicts the app situation is overrated but unfortunately not to the media or the general population. If you have a novice to smart phones and they are offered a phone that has an ecosystem with 125,000 apps while the other has over a million what do think they will chose? In truth we know the vast majority of apps are a waste but when you don't have the few big name app (instagram, netflix etc) then you will be on the losing end. I would just wish we could have those google apps ( youtube, chrome, google +, google, google drive, google earth, google maps)
    10-02-13 03:59 PM
    Lol @ this thread

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 04:14 PM
    It really is not overrated. It's become an industry standard to have apps, key apps if anything.
    10-02-13 04:16 PM
    Dude IOS and Android Blinded people, Phones are now used for show off and entertainment rather than using it as a SMART Phone...
    What, in your opinion, it's the correct use for a smartphone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CB Forums mobile app
    BerryWizard likes this.
    10-02-13 04:32 PM
    "Why do we need a lot of these apps anyway?"
    Apps as we refer to them in the mobile world came about because phones used to be incapable of running Flash or any of the real apps that were available on the Internet for PCs, laptops, netbooks etc. Now phones are as powerful as laptops of a few years ago. But now apps are so engrained we talk about ecosystems. The internet is a universe. The apple ecosystem is a goldfish bowl. I really detest Itunes I don't want all my music in aac format. I want music on sd cards and usb sticks in mp3 or flac format that is compatible to all my devices including my phone, car head unit, TV hifi. Google the gateway to the internet universe now intent on creating their own goldfish bowl. I understand the game - they want to make money, they want everything developed on thier development tools. BlackBerry for thier part would fancy the same, fact is they missed out on the pie. Now if they want to be serious contender they need to offer access to the internet universe not some closed ecosystem. It's ok being able to dip into the android ecosystem. It would be ok to dip into iphone ecosystem to, be a free agent. With excelent flash support we can run all manner of flash games on our bbos10 phones - shame most of them don't work for lack of a trackpad/mouse pointing device. If BlackBerry continue making phones and they want them to be premium phones bring back track pad - that would open up as many apps as access to android market and more.

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    anfidhlear likes this.
    10-02-13 04:41 PM
    I don't really give a crap about half of the apps the people are whinning about that BB10 don't have but if the people wants these apps to give BB10 a shot, BBRY should stop saying "apps are coming"... Enough singing and do some walking ... It is gonna take way better marketing than they doing now to get this platform going ... We'll see by next summer how much progress they've made .... I still love my Z
    10-02-13 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    It is that you don't have a very accurate view of what people use phones, by way of apps, for. People using apps aren't all slackers, they are doing productive things other than email with apps.
    10-02-13 06:06 PM
    It's a combination of things, the app situation is NOT helping in anyway and is certainly one of the top reasons. Whether you think it's overrated or not, it's reality.

"Hey nice phone..." Thanks it's a BlackBerry Z10. "BlackBerry? Pfft! That don't even got . Still, nice looking phone though."

^^
    A conversation I've had more times than I can even recall.
    tonytraj17 and BerryWizard like this.
    10-02-13 06:09 PM
    You have no concept of what a sophisticated smart phone user can do with apps. You can, for instance, remotely monitor next generation sequencing instruments with an iPhone app. You aren't even talking about the real universe, or at least this decade.
    10-02-13 06:15 PM
    I think its the apps. I really do. But thats only from personal observation
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    10-02-13 06:25 PM
    Of course Apps feature is over-rated. If I have an ugly girlfriend, I'd say beauty is over-rated as well
    10-02-13 06:33 PM
    Well yes to some of us crackberry addicts the app situation is overrated but unfortunately not to the media or the general population. If you have a novice to smart phones and they are offered a phone that has an ecosystem with 125,000 apps while the other has over a million what do think they will chose? In truth we know the vast majority of apps are a waste but when you don't have the few big name app (instagram, netflix etc) then you will be on the losing end. I would just wish we could have those google apps ( youtube, chrome, google +, google, google drive, google earth, google maps)
    It is not the consumers mindset that needs to change

really you think telling the potential customers their needs are wrong?
    Tell that to the doj or the major corporations who use android for their specific apps not sure which ones but the article did mention android apps for field things

the mindset that to be productive you only need email and bbm is wrong all platforms can email and send instant msgs withoit being stuck to one provider

fb messenger has over 800m users and they arent limited to one phone

you gotta be able to edit documents audio files
    you gotta be able to read technical files
    you gotta be able to do banking
    read the latest news

this isnt 2005 where the only productivity is
    Only email and a instant messaging being limited to one empire

there is more to it like photoshop mobile
    video and document editing

you know work
    richardat likes this.
    10-02-13 06:37 PM
    Of course Apps feature is over-rated. If I have an ugly girlfriend, I'd say beauty is over-rated as well
    LOL.
    10-02-13 06:42 PM
    Apps, apps, apps.......... get a life. who needs a fart board? Why do you need all these apps? Why would you want to watch a movie on the phone.

OP - you are not alone in this. I have far better things to do with my time than post a picture to some social platform that I couldn't give a monkeys about.

People need to get a life. When you look up from your phone you will find there are real people sat with you.

From my Q5
    Lolll this is why you don't work in sales and would be a horrible sales man

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    FrankIAm and BerryWizard like this.
    10-02-13 06:54 PM
    OP and Neil, we're you even thought how to human when you were young?

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    10-02-13 07:09 PM
327 1234 ...