I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

I think is its the cool factor thats stalling bb10 from gaining traction.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 12:38 PM
    I can assure you it is the apps that are stopping this platform from exploding man. I have showed my BB10 devices to tons of people and only a few iphone hipsters had bad things to say about the overall user experience. But everybody had something to say about the app situation, I can honestly say that i know at least 20+ people would switch over to BB10 if they were caught up with apps. I'm sure there are more people like this that want to give BB10 a chance but are not willing to be separated from netflix, instagram, vine, starbucks app, etc the list goes on. Right now BlackBerry's worst enemy is time , oh and broken promises...
    10-02-13 12:46 PM
    I seriously think the lack of netflix or instagram is not the reason why people are not buying into bb10.

By this logic, almost all smartphone users watch movies or post pictures while at work or in school...which is in essence, not being productive. Are there really that much slackers in the world right now?

Posted via CB10
    "The cool factor" as you call it is obtained by having all the apps and features other platforms offers. Your argument contradicts itself.

Posted via CB10
    mset, richardat and MC_A_DOT like this.
    10-02-13 12:49 PM
    Why would they have to do this while neglecting their work???? Ever hear of a commute back and forth to work? And why do user need to be only business people who never have fun?
    10-02-13 12:54 PM
    But is that concept subjective? I think its the flashiness of the iphone that sets it apart. I bet if netflix and all the other big apps stopped suppprting apple, people will still stay with apple just because people have the perception "not belonging" if they dont use the same phone as all their friends use.

Posted via CB10
    anfidhlear, BKbehave and edriss like this.
    10-02-13 12:55 PM
    Commute to work, unless you're taking public transit then you won't use it. And even if you're using public transit, watching a movie while the train or bus sways back and forth will give anyone a headache. Not to mention you can miss your stop if you're not paying attention...which is while you are watching a movie on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 12:57 PM
    But is that concept subjective? I think its the flashiness of the iphone that sets it apart. I bet if netflix and all the other big apps stopped suppprting apple, people will still stay with apple just because people have the perception "not belonging" if they dont use the same phone as all their friends use.

Posted via CB10
    What do you think would happen if all of a sudden it was BBRY who had all the apps and they weren't available for Apple or Android?
    DS1331, richardat and MC_A_DOT like this.
    10-02-13 12:59 PM
    Commute to work, unless you're taking public transit then you won't use it. And even if you're using public transit, watching a movie while the train or bus sways back and forth will give anyone a headache. Not to mention you can miss your stop if you're not paying attention...which is while you are watching a movie on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    Well then the person must not be very smart and isn't a business person anyway.

Are some of you really all business all the time and stuffy and no fun?
    10-02-13 01:02 PM
    I have no doubt it's the ecosystem.
    10-02-13 01:03 PM
    Some productivity apps that I use: Evernote, Trello, Github Issues, [my bank's app], AWS Console, Pivotal Tracker.

Evernote has an official client, Trello and Github issues have unofficial apps, and the rest seem to be missing in action. This would make it difficult for me to switch.

People have already gotten invested in other platforms. They aren't just sticking to the platforms that they have moved to because they "want to be cool".
    helio9965 and Etios like this.
    10-02-13 01:06 PM
    Apps, apps, apps.......... get a life. who needs a fart board? Why do you need all these apps? Why would you want to watch a movie on the phone.

OP - you are not alone in this. I have far better things to do with my time than post a picture to some social platform that I couldn't give a monkeys about.

People need to get a life. When you look up from your phone you will find there are real people sat with you.

From my Q5
    10-02-13 01:07 PM
    This entire thread is preposterous.

Posted via CB10
    bp3dots and ifarlow like this.
    10-02-13 01:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    As a NYC commuter, I can assure you that people play games or watch videos on their phone every single day. You look down the aisle and at least half of the commuters are heads down on either Android or iPhone, with a few Kindles or iPads. No, people do not generally miss their stop, and if they do they just get back on the train and go back to the previous station.
    kbz1960 and barnfoot like this.
    10-02-13 01:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't agree with this what so ever.

That was the case in 2007. But now that apps have grown to be so powerful and so important in people's lives it's really about those.

BlackBerrys were always considered cool because they look professional and classy. But then when people actually use one and realize there's nothing you can do with a Berry that another phone can't do, they lose interest.
    BerryWizard, barnfoot and deda1002 like this.
    10-02-13 01:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    OK the iPhone is flashy and hip for many but if they can't access their favorite social media apps and streaming apps the platform would get dumped. There is nothing compelling for people to switch to an iPhone beside the apps. They may have a few gimmicks like the parralax background, new camera features, and fingerprint scanner. Oh sorry I forgot siri, can't forget that. Those features aside, its just another platform like bb10 with a few quirks and diehard fans. Apps make a platform grow, its sad to say but yeah. Also user experience, blackberry needs to educate more on user experience
    edriss likes this.
    10-02-13 01:18 PM
    I agree that the app situation is somewhat overrated. The marketing team should have realized that not all apps are available and should have focused on the strengths of BlackBerry 10 and what sets it apart from the rest. Dedicate a commercial to the Time Shift camera. Dedicate a commercial to the keyboard. Dedicate a commercial to remote file access. How the heck did we not get any of this??????

We have a marketing failure on our hands. Pure and simple.
    10-02-13 01:18 PM
    "The cool factor" as you call it is obtained by having all the apps and features other platforms offers. Your argument contradicts itself.

Posted via CB10
    False. The "cool factor" comes from perception. Would getting Instagram and Netflix and other random big name players make a platform cool?

No.

The company succeeded in creating a solid software with amazing potential for growth but failed to show it.

They are continuing to fail to show it.

Everyone I talk to has no idea BB10 exists and believes they're still running the archaic java based systems of yore :/
    kcstrike and edriss like this.
    10-02-13 01:21 PM
    Okay its over rated. Let BBRY speak to world and tell them they are frivolous and the heard will flock back to them.
    app_Developer, Etios and SMocek like this.
    10-02-13 01:24 PM
    Blackberry better wake up on their marketing, just becasue they can make a phone with decent spec's does not mean they can sell it for top dollar right off the hop. They have an inmature eco-system of apps and an unpolished OS compared to the Android and IOS.

How did that go over with the Z10??? Why because very few people will pay top dollar for "going to get better", "the apps are coming", "we are working ont it". Blackberry's ego is too high on themselves and seem to think in the past, when everyone would pay a high price when there was little to no smart phone competion.

Sell the Z10 for �$280-300 so it's "GOOD VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY" and RE-PRICE THE Z30 to �$400-440 before it's too late so they don't have to write off a stock of Z30's. They might then have a chance to get the ball rolling and get handsets out to consumers so big name app builder will build apps.
    kbz1960, jazson and edriss like this.
    10-02-13 01:28 PM
    I agree that the app situation is somewhat overrated. The marketing team should have realized that not all apps are available and should have focused on the strengths of BlackBerry 10 and what sets it apart from the rest. Dedicate a commercial to the Time Shift camera. Dedicate a commercial to the keyboard. Dedicate a commercial to remote file access. How the heck did we not get any of this??????

Ok i will acknowledge the marketing was not all that, it could have been better. That aside what do you think will happen when someone asks " Hey hows Instagram, Netflix, Vine, Snapchat, etc". How would you repsond to that " Ummmm well you can sideload them for the time being until they hopefully show up". And if i dont recall i did see a few ads showing off the timeshift camera, and the Q10 commercial showed the keyboard and how you can use type and go to finish tasks easily.

10-02-13 01:29 PM
    Even BBRY has acknowledged that its light ecosystem has hurt its prospects.

It's common sense, really. Apps do not have to be downloaded. Simple logic dictates that if a company wants to be successful in today's mobile landscape, it should do its best to cater to both people that like to use apps AND those that feel Candy Crush will be the end of life as we know it.
    kbz1960, BerryWizard and richardat like this.
    10-02-13 01:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    People don't have to be productive all of their 16 hours of waking time.
    10-02-13 01:36 PM

What if BB10 did not have time shift? Would you have purchased it?

I think most of the people that purchased BB10 devices would have bought them without time shift. While I don't think focusing on that feature would have hurt, I don't think highlighting those features would have obscured the bigger issue with regards to high-productivity apps.
    10-02-13 01:39 PM
    People don't have to be productive all of their 16 hours of waking time.
    OH NO! There goes the space-time continuum!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-02-13 01:40 PM
    ITT: OP wants to change the consumers mindset.

I Think This app situation is overrated.-doge.png
    10-02-13 01:47 PM
327 123 ...