... is a phrase you won't be hearing anyone say unless BlackBerry fixes the serious bugs and quirks in the Contacts "app". I put "app" in quotes, because if the Hub isn't an "App" then neither is / should be the Contacts "app".

Seriously, I think this issue is second only to the App Gap in importance to BlackBerry 10 adopters and advocates.

What is the latest "official" statement about the Contacts mismanagement on BB10, and what extraordinary measures re: outreach and customer service is BlackBerry taking to deal with it? What they are doing SHOULD be extraordinary, because the BB10 Contacts handling is extraordinarily bad and inconsistent, and proper functionality w.r.t. Contacts management is extraordinarily important to BlackBerry (moreso than other platforms where contacts are largely isolated within individual apps).

My latest experience: trying to add my doctor's contact to a scheduled doctor's appointment, and while my doctor's record does appear in the Contacts app, when I attempt to add him to the appointment, his record simply isn't in the list. I have no idea why, and frankly, I don't care. The Contacts app should be to Contacts as the Hub is to messages: a central location where everything is elegantly organized and "just works", like the Hub itself does.

The Contacts app has been the cause of CrackBerry fans ripping BlackBerry a new one every couple of days, and I guess I'm just another one, but seriously: CrackBerry leadership: it's time to pull out all the stops with your BlackBerry contacts and get them onto a Hangout or something to explain the Contacts situation and what they're doing about it.

I think what is needed is a Beta version that has serious logging capability that beta testers could use to send logs to BlackBerry whenever something unusual happens (like I can't see how to add or exclude Skype contacts from the Contacts list... I think I could before, but I can't see it any more... and when I do exclude some categories of contacts, they are still showing up in my Contact list, possibly because they're linked from another type of contact that ISN'T excluded, but then maybe if I've excluded Facebook contacts from my Contact List don't show the contact's Facebook picture and Facebook icon on their contact record, maybe?

C'mon, if BlackBerry ever DOES start to go wide i.e. release a device that really gets attention and others start to appreciate the Hub as much as we do, they're going to be flinging their devices out their 80th floor office windows in frustration at the incomprehensible and inconsistent behaviour of the contacts "app".

I can live with it... I have for this long... but I'm worried about the litany of complaints certain to issue forth from the media and influential users if this isn't fixed IMMEDIATELY (or sooner, for us long suffering BB10 fans).
    04-28-14 11:02 AM
    10.3 contacts app works fine

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-28-14 11:08 AM
    80% of the Contact Apps issues can be solved with a clean install of the OS and building Accounts and Contacts from scratch. Seems like for some there is a "glitch" in merging old data with new OS. But WHO really wants to rebuild everything????!!?!?!?!?

We need the Contact App Restore bug fixed!
    We need more selective restore process!
    eldricho, acovey and joejuck like this.
    04-28-14 11:11 AM
    but then maybe if I've excluded Facebook contacts from my Contact List don't show the contact's Facebook picture and Facebook icon on their contact record, maybe?
    If you don't want facebook contacts showing, you also wouldn't want their pictures in your contact list? The way BB10 "thinks" in that case is, dont show any contacts from facebook, all other contacts are shown, and some may also be a facebook contact and thus show the picture.. .. it sounds like you dont want your conctacts linked. you'd rather have completely sperate contact lists, facebook, linkedin, personal, etc. That way when you look at your contacts, it will only show the specific information you want.

they're going to be flinging their devices out their 80th floor office windows in frustration at the incomprehensible and inconsistent behaviour of the contacts "app".
    To quote your own signature, "Discussion Forums would be better if no one ever used superlatives and didn't exaggerate every 3 nanoseconds."
    04-28-14 11:14 AM
    I was about ready to ask what sort of person who like this contacts app unless you love having your data lost and scrambled.

This is the biggest issue with bb10 as far as I'm concerned. What a pita it is.

Done so ma y clean installs it's not funny. Only thing I can't speak to is 10.3. It's a train wreck of an app. BlackBerry need to make it "just work". No jumping through hoops. Just work.

"If BlackBerry ever does go wide". That's the thing. This OS isn't ready for the general public. And BlackBerry has canned so many programmers - that can't possibly be helping to get this OS in shape.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    blee4 and Mack Gans like this.
    04-28-14 11:16 AM
    I'm glad all my contacts just work, linked and all. I truly do like how it works, but that's because it just works for me.

There are plenty of people out there having issues with it so I hope BlackBerry is working on a way to make them happy.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan and miker476 like this.
    04-28-14 01:11 PM
    I have no problems with mine but ive helped a bunch of my friends and family with their BB10 phones and found all the linking to be the problem.

Facebook, outlook, gmail, twitter contacts all linking and merging into a great mess.

What would help is an app or function within BlackBerry 10 which allows actual merging rather than linking into a single entry within the contacts app. This app will also automatically remove all linking before being resynced properly again.

This is what ive noticed anyway.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-28-14 02:05 PM
    I have no problems with mine but ive helped a bunch of my friends and family with their BB10 phones and found all the linking to be the problem.

Facebook, outlook, gmail, twitter contacts all linking and merging into a great mess.
    What is the best way to fix it?

I have multiple Gmail, Yahoo and other email addresses entered, but only use a single contact list and calendar (on one of the Google accounts) as a online contact list.

Is completely disconnecting from Facebook and Twitter the only way to prevent those contacts from fouling up my 'legitimate' contact list? And that still doesn't explain why my doctor, who is just a normal contact in my contact list, doesn't show up in the Calendar app as a contact I can choose to make an appointment with.

It's opaque and doesn't work as expected, no matter what explanation there is for the problems, and BlackBerry should fix it, not expect users to accept compromises or workarounds.
    04-28-14 02:59 PM
    What is the best way to fix it?

I have multiple Gmail, Yahoo and other email addresses entered, but only use a single contact list and calendar (on one of the Google accounts) as a online contact list.

Is completely disconnecting from Facebook and Twitter the only way to prevent those contacts from fouling up my 'legitimate' contact list? And that still doesn't explain why my doctor, who is just a normal contact in my contact list, doesn't show up in the Calendar app as a contact I can choose to make an appointment with.

It's opaque and doesn't work as expected, no matter what explanation there is for the problems, and BlackBerry should fix it, not expect users to accept compromises or workarounds.
    You are not gonna like what I say. Ready?

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-28-14 03:17 PM
    I say we give them more time, it's been only like 16 months since the OS is on the market, is still time to fix this app, is not like they are preparing any flagship for this year.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 03:58 PM
    My contacts are such a MESS since I got the z10. I don't even know where to start, to attempt to reorganize it all. There is garbage in it fb that I don't even want. The contacts I had prior to z10 & do want, I can hardly pull up or find half the time. OI. It has overwhelmed me. I have been waiting, hoping there's a fix. But eventually it's going to be too long & it will be too late to fix
    04-28-14 04:05 PM
    I have to agree with the contact issues. When I first open contacts there is nothing there. I have to press a letter to get any names. Also if any of the letters have no contacts in them it takes forever to scroll through them.

While we are addressing issues I would love to see the Wifi issue resolved. It loses saved Wifi logins. Also when you are traveling it takes forever for it to update new Wifi hotspots compared to the Playbook.
    04-28-14 08:08 PM
    I use one contact list. I link all my social networks in Outlook then sync to my Z30. I never have a problem.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 08:56 PM
    80% of the Contact Apps issues can be solved with a clean install of the OS and building Accounts and Contacts from scratch. Seems like for some there is a "glitch" in merging old data with new OS. But WHO really wants to rebuild everything????!!?!?!?!?

We need the Contact App Restore bug fixed!
    We need more selective restore process!
    I'd much prefer to have the old BlackBerry protect back, like on legacy days. Painless, cause I don't really trust Link.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 08:58 PM
    To quote your own signature, "Discussion Forums would be better if no one ever used superlatives and didn't exaggerate every 3 nanoseconds."
    You do understand the difference between exaggerating in context of a "joke" and exaggerating in the context of "nobody wants that" or "everybody hates BlackBerry". No, I don't suppose you do.

The absolutely worst thing on discussion forums is a) people who tell others what to "want" and b) people who tell others having technology problems that their problems are i) their fault or ii) aren't really happening, they just 'misunderstand'.

Then you get the people who respond to complaints about technology claiming that the poster is lying for some mysterious self-serving troll interest. They're pretty much all toxic to civil discourse on discussion boards.
    04-29-14 09:25 AM
    I'm glad all my contacts just work, linked and all. I truly do like how it works, but that's because it just works for me.

There are plenty of people out there having issues with it so I hope BlackBerry is working on a way to make them happy.

Posted via CB10
    Me too. Everytime I read one of these I cringe - but I have no issues with my contacts.

I used to go through and link them whenever I added a social acct - for example I just resigned into LinkedIn and now have LinkedIn contacts in my contacts app - but then I realized I hardly ever actually go to my contacts app except when I'm sending group texts. So really - I don't care if they're linked and will likely just remove the LinkedIn contacts anyway.

Whenever I need a contact I just start typing their info and they appear - whether that's in email, text or calendar.

I certainly hope though that BlackBerry can get the contacts app to the point where it works well for everyone. I know it would bug me if I couldn't find a contact when I needed it - and linking to calendar should be pretty basic.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 10:08 AM
    Yup, me too. If my contacts didn't work that would drive me nuts-which I assume that's what's happening to some.

I wonder if they don't allow other apps to access the contacts if that would still be a problem for them.

I would think that removing all social accounts and then using just one email account to manage your contacts should resolve most people's problems. Just seems like a work around. I like letting all the apps make a contact and then I link then and go from there.

I have heard of the missing contacts syndrome. I think it is caused by the phone not being able to connect to a particular service and thus removes the contact until it can connect to it. Kind of silly, but that's just a hunch.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 12:45 PM
    ... is a phrase you won't be hearing anyone say unless BlackBerry fixes the serious bugs and quirks in the Contacts "app". I put "app" in quotes, because if the Hub isn't an "App" then neither is / should be the Contacts "app".

Seriously, I think this issue is second only to the App Gap in importance to BlackBerry 10 adopters and advocates.

What is the latest "official" statement about the Contacts mismanagement on BB10, and what extraordinary measures re: outreach and customer service is BlackBerry taking to deal with it? What they are doing SHOULD be extraordinary, because the BB10 Contacts handling is extraordinarily bad and inconsistent, and proper functionality w.r.t. Contacts management is extraordinarily important to BlackBerry (moreso than other platforms where contacts are largely isolated within individual apps).

My latest experience: trying to add my doctor's contact to a scheduled doctor's appointment, and while my doctor's record does appear in the Contacts app, when I attempt to add him to the appointment, his record simply isn't in the list. I have no idea why, and frankly, I don't care. The Contacts app should be to Contacts as the Hub is to messages: a central location where everything is elegantly organized and "just works", like the Hub itself does.

The Contacts app has been the cause of CrackBerry fans ripping BlackBerry a new one every couple of days, and I guess I'm just another one, but seriously: CrackBerry leadership: it's time to pull out all the stops with your BlackBerry contacts and get them onto a Hangout or something to explain the Contacts situation and what they're doing about it.

I think what is needed is a Beta version that has serious logging capability that beta testers could use to send logs to BlackBerry whenever something unusual happens (like I can't see how to add or exclude Skype contacts from the Contacts list... I think I could before, but I can't see it any more... and when I do exclude some categories of contacts, they are still showing up in my Contact list, possibly because they're linked from another type of contact that ISN'T excluded, but then maybe if I've excluded Facebook contacts from my Contact List don't show the contact's Facebook picture and Facebook icon on their contact record, maybe?

C'mon, if BlackBerry ever DOES start to go wide i.e. release a device that really gets attention and others start to appreciate the Hub as much as we do, they're going to be flinging their devices out their 80th floor office windows in frustration at the incomprehensible and inconsistent behaviour of the contacts "app".

I can live with it... I have for this long... but I'm worried about the litany of complaints certain to issue forth from the media and influential users if this isn't fixed IMMEDIATELY (or sooner, for us long suffering BB10 fans).
    Definitely true. The Contact "App" should not be rocket science and I agree that if a contact is in the list then if it cannot be selected seems to be a basic problem with the app. Prior to BB10, the contact app worked very well. This really needs to be addressed. And frankly, I don't understand why the contact info dates (e.g., birthdays and anniversaries) cannot be integrated into the calendar as it used to be...
    04-29-14 02:32 PM
    Contacts and Remember are definitely half baked apps. Everyday you can find posts complaining.
    Worst, there is no documentation on how to.
    I took days to build from scratch in outlook.com. Connected all social contacts. When I synced with z10, only outlook native info came to z. Then z tried to link with social and messed up.
    I don't know whether BlackBerry really will address this.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 07:41 AM
    Contacts are a mess. The one thing in any OS claiming to be productive and business/communication oriented is the contacts. Must be seamless and effortless. E-mail, SMS, BBM, social media apps for comms (hub), contacts and then calendar. All these must be effortless and seamless.
    Then we can discuss colours, app gap, games and "wants", car integration, battery life, other annoyances. A foundation has to be strong for a house to stand. Are comm apps, contacts and calendar not the basis for any smartphone OS or an I totally out in left field??

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz and ppeters914 like this.
    04-30-14 08:44 AM
    Haha, I read the title of the topic and immediately I went inside just to contradict to whatever the OP's saying. Who uses "like" and "contacts" on the same sentence regarding bb10 os. Haha

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Doggerz and SmileDahling like this.
    05-01-14 09:51 AM
    Contacts is so far from a good Contacts. They really need to suspend all their activities and solve the numerous Contacts issues!

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 02:21 AM
    Seriously, i am tired of searching the threads for how to manage the contacts in BlackBerry 10.. in the legacy os there used to be a contact list where i used one of my gmail accounts. as a result of which the contacts were updated in all the devices, that i am using ( my tab which is an android device as well as my computer) .. unfortunately i could not find that thing in this new os 10.
    Besides, there is this trouble of linking several other accounts like that of Facebook, LinkedIn etc.. which is totally a mess in my device... many a times I've found a contact name with no data with them and i am tired deleting them.
    To add to this, when i receive any call from any contact the receiving screen only shows the name. Details of that person like the company name listed under them is not shown. I have many persons with similar names but work on different companies as my contact. I'm facing a lot of difficulty in receiving these calls as prior to receiving the same, i am not being able to make out who is calling.
    Anybody facing these issues??

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 07:04 AM
    This contact sync f*ck up is getting more and more frequent. I have Carddav on Gmail and BB10 manage to lost my contacts on the phone and the only way to get it back on the phone is to delete and add back the Gmail account.

I have plan to switch back to Outlook.com but the Outlook Connector force me to use separate Contact folder in MSOutlook and worst is the connector couldn't sync reliably with Outlook.com. So I am stuck with Gmail.

If not because of the integrate Hub I would have move to Android phone.
    blee4 likes this.
    05-04-14 09:55 PM
    I was about ready to ask what sort of person who like this contacts app unless you love having your data lost and scrambled.

This is the biggest issue with bb10 as far as I'm concerned. What a pita it is.

Done so ma y clean installs it's not funny. Only thing I can't speak to is 10.3. It's a train wreck of an app. BlackBerry need to make it "just work". No jumping through hoops. Just work.

"If BlackBerry ever does go wide". That's the thing. This OS isn't ready for the general public. And BlackBerry has canned so many programmers - that can't possibly be helping to get this OS in shape.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    I actually keep 2 sets of contacts and manually sync from master which everything else has access to and Blackberry which is on it's only Carddav server. I've never had to jump through so many hoops to get a device work and I've tried them all iOS, Android, even Windows Phone PRE Nokia.
    05-04-14 10:10 PM
108 123 ...