I really like the concept of having the widget-like running apps, but am I missing something when they say the four most recent? Does that mean my fifth and least recent app will no longer be running or that I would have to find it in the app launcher? I would like to have easy access to all my open apps in a way similar to the PlayBook. Widgetized screens cant take up more memory than a small live screen can they?
    06-16-12 01:44 PM
    are people still refering to the minimized apps as widgets? they are far from widgets just like in the playbook its a minimized app but stacked rather then a sideways scroll
    06-16-12 06:19 PM
    But that's still a problem (for me). Even if it's your 4 current running apps, anytime you open something else, one of the other tiles disappears.
    Sorry, but I obviously didn't make myself clear.

My point was that the behaviour you see on the PlayBook will be the same behaviour you see in BB10. You certainly will not be limited to just four running apps at a time. That's truly unthinkable. It will be like the PlayBook, where you can run as many apps as you can squeeze into memory.

Don't get misled by the "four tiles" red herring. If you see four there, it's because they've decided that's a good size for the tiles to be, but you will certainly be able to swipe sideways to view any others that may be running at the same time.

No artificial limits like "four" on this platform, that's for sure...
    louzer likes this.
    06-16-12 09:46 PM
    ^^Exactly.

Think Playbook, but you shuffle around the elements you see on the screen. Instead of swiping up to see your app list, you'll swipe from the left. Your quick launch icons stay on the bottom. And the list of open apps could be thought of as listing the minimized apps in a two-column table starting from the upper left across and down. The screenshot might be showing only 4 minimized apps, but you'll probably swipe to scroll the list of apps up and down.

What we're currently seeing on the Playbook is actually more like BB10 than some people realize. It's still got a way to go, but if you can mentally separate the display elements from the OS in your mind and re-arrange them, you'll get an idea where this all is heading.
    06-16-12 11:43 PM
    ^^yup and peak is basically the top corner swipe to show clock and notifications.
    06-22-12 07:02 PM
    I'd have to see this an action too. I don't think I'd want the last 4 applications shown like that. I'd rather have the content that I CHOOSE on my homescreens. What if I use an app and then won't have any need for it for awhile? Will it still be hanging out there? For example - say I go on a bike ride and track it with Cardio Trainer. I finish my bike ride, I get my stats, I feel accomplished, now I'm ready to go on with my evening. I don't want to look at Cardio Trainer until my next bike ride.

I like actual widgets, too, because I can see important info from the programs that I choose. For example, I can scroll through the agenda on my calendar widget without having to open the actual app. Same with email - I can scroll through my inboxes and see the sender, subject, and first lines of my emails. If I want to quickly go to a certain calendar entry or email I can tap it and it takes me right to that entry within the actual app so I can edit the entry, reply to the email, etc.

I need to check out the latest BB10 posts to see how it's all going to work!

Just throwing this out there about ur example about the Cardio Trainer App situation...you could always throw the app away on the home page to close it completely and it wont be there anymore...I believe that is an option so when you are absolutely done with it, then it will be gone...

RIM wouldn't force you to look at that app constantly if you dont want to, its like if im playing a game and I finish, I dont want it running on my homescreen so I would swipe it up to close it and it will be gone

In that sense you can keep the home screen customized to how you like it because you can close the apps you wont use constantly (fitness apps, nutrition apps, games, etc.) and keep the ones open you want to see updates from (FaceBook, Calendar, Photos, etc.)

So it still is what you want it to be and you can make it your own and choose to close everything and always have the same 4 apps minimized on the homescreen
    06-26-12 04:02 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD