I'm excited for BB10, but after looking at the latest blog post, it just looks like another skin of Android to me.

Icon trays, widgets, swiping left/right home screens, etc.

The only "cool" thing I know of so far is the gesture-based keyboard. But other than that, it reminds me Touch-Whiz UI for Android...

I really hope there's more to it and that we'll see more about it soon.
    06-14-12 04:35 PM
    Yes.there.is.stay.calm
    06-14-12 04:38 PM
    I hate to say....I'm not keen on the tiled look. Reminds me of the current Windows phones.
    I might have to wait until I see what kinds of themes will become available, if any.
    I might not be an early adopter. Who knows.
    JR A, lynawry, shaleem and 1 others like this.
    06-14-12 04:48 PM
    ^ That's exactly how I feel.
    06-14-12 04:57 PM
    I'm not a fan of the tiles either. I prefer a homescreen with the icon row at the bottom and not much else. But I love everything else I've seen.
    06-14-12 05:21 PM
    Sorry but how is this like Android...like you have minimized apps which are running on the home screen in a grid layout...NOT widgets...and you really only swipe left from the home page to get to your app launcher...and swipe to the right and you get notifications and messages, which is nothing like any other system available (iOS, Android or WP).

So you said swiping left/right home screens, thats not even accurate...its ONE home page, and then you have an app launcher (instead of clicking the apps button, you just swipe to it) and notifications is not a home page, its always available no matter what application you are in and its baked into the ENTIRE OS rather than being home pages for Android where widgets are there but you have to click icons to open apps.

And the only cool thing is the keyboard in your mind, but if you read the recent blog with all the pictures, it was stated that there are many exciting features which are being hidden from the public (which is a very smart move by RIM). So obviously it will not be ONLY what we have seen so far, those are just some ideas to get people excited and show the general IDEA behind the OS...but it does not indicate what the entire OS will be like and how it will function. There will be many many things in the OS in terms of settings and options that we do not know of yet, and other native applications baked in that they will not show us until the official unveiling.

I understand you may be unsure at the moment, but until they announce all of the features and we get hands-on reviews and videos of the ENTIRE OS functioning, its a little early to start saying its similar to android and touchwiz and all of that stuff..and like saying the tiles are like windows phone is completely incorrect...they are minimized screens rather than static tiles...the BB10 HomeScreen shows off the 4 most recent apps that you have been using and they are still running and you can see the information updating in a modified view rather than fullscreen mode, when WP has static tiles which may show a new email msg, but not the msg itself, orrrr you have 1 missed call and voicemail, but BB10 will show who called you last with name and picture and more information...it is completely different and threads like this are not necessary at the moment until we see everything they plan on releasing...thennnnn once we know everything we can decide if its enough or not enough...but considering this is just a preview and showcasing SELECT features, I think it looks damn amazing and just leaves me wanting to see more and see the other MAJOR native apps, and how they have redone all the apps I have grown to love by BlackBerry! IT sure is exciting!
    06-14-12 05:22 PM
    Sorry but how is this like Android...like you have minimized apps which are running on the home screen in a grid layout...NOT widgets...and you really only swipe left from the home page to get to your app launcher...and swipe to the right and you get notifications and messages, which is nothing like any other system available (iOS, Android or WP).

So you said swiping left/right home screens, thats not even accurate...its ONE home page, and then you have an app launcher (instead of clicking the apps button, you just swipe to it) and notifications is not a home page, its always available no matter what application you are in and its baked into the ENTIRE OS rather than being home pages for Android where widgets are there but you have to click icons to open apps.

And the only cool thing is the keyboard in your mind, but if you read the recent blog with all the pictures, it was stated that there are many exciting features which are being hidden from the public (which is a very smart move by RIM). So obviously it will not be ONLY what we have seen so far, those are just some ideas to get people excited and show the general IDEA behind the OS...but it does not indicate what the entire OS will be like and how it will function. There will be many many things in the OS in terms of settings and options that we do not know of yet, and other native applications baked in that they will not show us until the official unveiling.

I understand you may be unsure at the moment, but until they announce all of the features and we get hands-on reviews and videos of the ENTIRE OS functioning, its a little early to start saying its similar to android and touchwiz and all of that stuff..and like saying the tiles are like windows phone is completely incorrect...they are minimized screens rather than static tiles...the BB10 HomeScreen shows off the 4 most recent apps that you have been using and they are still running and you can see the information updating in a modified view rather than fullscreen mode, when WP has static tiles which may show a new email msg, but not the msg itself, orrrr you have 1 missed call and voicemail, but BB10 will show who called you last with name and picture and more information...it is completely different and threads like this are not necessary at the moment until we see everything they plan on releasing...thennnnn once we know everything we can decide if its enough or not enough...but considering this is just a preview anLEd showcasing SECT features, I think it looks damn amazing and just leaves me wanting to see more and see the other MAJOR native apps, and how they have redone all the apps I have grown to love by BlackBerry! IT sure is exciting!
    He was talking about the app icons...which kinda do resemble TouchWiz icons on Android.
    Nonetheless it still looks nice. I'm excited for it.

You sound very mad lol. Take a chill pill bro.
    JR A likes this.
    06-14-12 05:49 PM
    i think bb's are awsome i think they should mix it up a little with new phone types trying to keep a few handsets for buisness type users then the other few for android iphone type users best of both worlds obviousy keeping them unique thou hate how the other 3 android windows iphone are all the same sorta thing
    06-14-12 05:51 PM
    He was talking about the app icons...which kinda do resemble TouchWiz icons on Android.
    Nonetheless it still looks nice. I'm excited for it.

You sound very mad lol. Take a chill pill bro.
    Lol not mad at all just clarifying to CrackBerry World and anyone who reads this thread that BB10 is not similar to Android's TouchWiz at all...and no he was just saying BB10 in general, he never specified any area, just the whole UI that we know of...

But I agree, it looks very nice and sleek and I cant wait to get my hands on it! the music player app looks nice from that picture that was posted!
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-14-12 05:52 PM
    mphillips... please don't hurt me.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-14-12 06:56 PM

That's supposedly supposed to be the actual icon tray. Looks nice.
    06-14-12 07:32 PM
    Maybe if you actually read the article instead of just looked at the pictures.. There is a lot more that will be unveiled later. This is just a peak.

"I need Q4 to arrive quickly! I'm not sure how I can handle the waiting now I have spent some time with just a few features on the device. And according to Vivek there is plenty of amazing stuff yet to be announced."
    06-14-12 07:36 PM
    i don`t know, it looks very good to me
    06-14-12 07:37 PM
    Well guess I'll put a little tap on this post. I believe it's so much more I know for a fact rim didn't buy tat just to show this ui or even those couple or features. Keep in mind RIM want to make it so much like the playbook but 100 times better.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-14-12 07:48 PM
    I have an Android handset (with TouchWiz, of couse) and I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. What you mentioned is just some of many standard elements of touch UI. Every OS will have grids, lists, gestures, etc. where appropriate. Being different for the sake of being different is a horrible way to design something. What's important is that they do what works. Where differentiation comes in is the implementation and how everything comes together.
    06-14-12 07:52 PM
    I have an Android handset (with TouchWiz, of couse) and I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. What you mentioned is just some of many standard elements of touch UI. Every OS will have grids, lists, gestures, etc. where appropriate. Being different for the sake of being different is a horrible way to design something. What's important is that they do what works. Where differentiation comes in is the implementation and how everything comes together.
    webOS/Playbook OS cards was a great layout in my opinion.

Would've been nice to see that on a phone with BB's touch instead of just a grid of icons and widgets.
    06-14-12 08:01 PM
    I understand you may be unsure at the moment, but until they announce all of the features and we get hands-on reviews and videos of the ENTIRE OS functioning, its a little early to start saying its similar to android and touchwiz and all of that stuff..and like saying the tiles are like windows phone is completely incorrect...they are minimized screens rather than static tiles...the BB10 HomeScreen shows off the 4 most recent apps that you have been using and they are still running and you can see the information updating in a modified view rather than fullscreen mode, when WP has static tiles which may show a new email msg, but not the msg itself, orrrr you have 1 missed call and voicemail, but BB10 will show who called you last with name and picture and more information...it is completely different and threads like this are not necessary at the moment until we see everything they plan on releasing...thennnnn once we know everything we can decide if its enough or not enough...but considering this is just a preview and showcasing SELECT features, I think it looks damn amazing and just leaves me wanting to see more and see the other MAJOR native apps, and how they have redone all the apps I have grown to love by BlackBerry! IT sure is exciting!
    OK, love...breathe....

Now...on the tiles, my statement was that I am not keen on the tile look and that it was reminiscent of Windows phones.

I didn't discuss the functionality behind the tiles....I said that I wasn't keen on the tile look.

Capisci?
    06-14-12 08:23 PM

Would've been nice to see that on a phone with BB's touch instead of just a grid of icons and widgets.
    It captures the experience well enough, imo. You still get the minimized view of the application, except in a format that pulls the important info to the forefront. It would be nice if he final build allowed for more than 4 apps and I'm not sure how app switching works from within an app.
    06-14-12 08:28 PM
    I don't think we'll see anything earth-shattering when BB10 is released, but I do like the aesthetics of it so far.

I like the WP7 tiles, and I like the tile-look that BB10 has.

I don't know if it's due to the lighting when the pictures were taken, but the display looks more vibrant than anything I've seen from the competition, and everything on the screen look extremely crisp.
    06-14-12 08:32 PM
    I hate to say....I'm not keen on the tiled look. Reminds me of the current Windows phones.
    I might have to wait until I see what kinds of themes will become available, if any.
    I might not be an early adopter. Who knows.
    I agree completely. This may be "differant" for RIM, but I feel as if I've seen this before.
    06-14-12 09:00 PM

no widgets on BB10...
    06-14-12 09:08 PM
    If BlackBerry 10 is "nothing more" than very much like Android but with all the BlackBerry goodness packed in as well, then I am all in. Android-esque but with world class security, messaging, notifications, LED, etc. Sounds great.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    06-14-12 09:20 PM
    This is why there shouldn't be leaks. The press and blogs that aren't calling RIM dead are stating that BB10 is RIM's last chance and that it has to be killer. By releasing photos like this, it sets up these people to make statements about what BB10 is based on demo photos.

But, on the other hand, as someone who realizes that anything we are shown is simply an incremental view into a snapshot of what there is today, I'm very excited to see where RIM is going with BB10. There is still quite a wait to see what it will become when it's released.

As cool as what we are being shown now seems to be, it is only a small part of what we will be getting in Q3. And I'm pretty excited.

Maybe I'm not the target for what's coming since I'm still enjoying my 'antiquated' 9650 running OS6. But I do understand technology and can see beyond the simple samples that we are being fed.

If you are looking at the BB World presentation or these pictures as a final product, then you are mistaken. If you are able to look at this and see a direction (as opposed to a final product), then you should be excited.

Given how stripped down the Dev Alpha devices are, the one thing that I'm experiencing and hearing in reviews (reviews of a dev alpha device seem silly to me) is that the screen is abolutely brilliant and the OS flows smoothly and seemlessly. With this in mind, I don't look at these leaks as a literal for what BB10 is. I squint and see what BB10 can be. And I don't see Touch Wiz.
    Cesare21 likes this.
    06-14-12 09:27 PM
    I agree completely. This may be "differant" for RIM, but I feel as if I've seen this before.
    You've seen everything everywhere in some form or another. I'm pretty sure it's the aesthetic that irks her, not the feature itself. Besides, as I said before, being different for different's sake isn't how you design things. You design things around what works and what helps you achieve what you're trying to do. To avoid using a basic concept simply because someone else is using something vaguely similar is insanity.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-14-12 10:46 PM
    Personally I think it looks horrible. However.. I feel as if they cluttered the screen to highlight as many features as possible. I'm not interested in a full touch bb. My anticipation is for the model which will have a keyboard. I doubt rim will release a touch screen phone that's better than the sgs3 or evo lte. Or even the gnex for that matter.
    06-15-12 01:19 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD