Today I received an email from my dad about the Nokia Lumia 1020 and other phones for use as a Credit Card reader and for pictures. He is not a very tech savvy person and will usually take any reps word as truth but this time he is asking me. I explained to him all the phone OSs and the popular phone in each line (iPhone 5S, Samsung S4, Lumia 1020 and Z30) After all said and done sadly I could not recommend any BB10 phone to him because there is always something, even if it is little, that you have to fiddle with to make it work the way it should and this is not what an older none tech person needs. So I had to recommend the Lumia 1020 first then the iPhone mainly because I don't like the iAnything but it was just sad that I was not able to recommend a product that I want to see more people use.

There is not point to this story but just wanted to share the sadness.
    11-07-13 03:23 AM
    No need to feel ashamed. I recommended S4 to two non-technical family members (they had 9700 and 9900 BBRYs before) for the same reason. BB10 continues to evolve and, with time, will become polished enough to "just work" straight out of the box.
    kbz1960 and sinlessearth like this.
    11-07-13 04:03 AM
    Yea, I recommended S4 for my niece and Sony for my GF. I told them BB10 was best UI but that they are better off, for their needs, with Androids.

Fable Publishing: C0012255F
    sinlessearth likes this.
    11-07-13 04:48 AM
    No shame in that, you are just being honest. BB10 is a great OS for people that have time/knowledge to set it up right, not for plug-and-play users. I would recommend it to my peers, not my relatives.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    sinlessearth likes this.
    11-07-13 04:58 AM
    I, too, hung my head in shame for I bought a mini iPad for my daughter but I use BlackBerry PlayBook for myself.

Posted from Z10 via CB10
    sinlessearth likes this.
    11-07-13 05:47 AM
    I think the advantage of WP8 for an elderly person is the size of the tiles and of the menu items, which are typically larger and easier to hit than on bb10 and on other platforms afaik.
    Not so much on the having to fiddle with things side imho. The need for setting up accounts etc is the same on all platforms and this is not more difficult on bb10 than on WP8. All the other setup options on bb10 that WP8 might not have are optional, no need to dig into the deepest detail.
    However, no need to feel ashamed after having made a decision that you felt to be the right one for your dad.

Posted via CB10
    sinlessearth likes this.
    11-07-13 05:57 AM
    Shame on you! Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 05:59 AM
    I think it's shameful to feel shameful about telling your dad the truth. Shame on you for feeling shameful!

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my GoogleBerry Cranial Implant
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-07-13 09:02 AM
    I would have told my dad to get a Q10 and when he couldn't get along with it have offered him a pittance for it.

There's nothing wrong with what you did
    kolowosh likes this.
    11-07-13 09:07 AM
    My dad asked me what phone to buy - he wanted me to choose one for him. Of course I didn't, but instead accompanied him to the store where they had all of them on display and answered any questions he had. Ended up choosing an S4 mainly because of the bigger brighter screen. Perception people

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-07-13 09:10 AM
    I suggested a couple of lumias last week. The people wanted cheap prepaid smartphones so iPhones were not an option because they aren't cheap. Andriod was not an option because the cheap ones are not good. BlackBerry has nothing like that so the $99 lumia was the way to go.
    Great phone for the price.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-07-13 12:31 PM
    The shame is BlackBerry's, not yours.

BB10 is a great OS with a lot of potential, but it is still a very "young" OS and is not for an average user right now.
    ian8206 likes this.
    11-07-13 01:37 PM
    The shame is BlackBerry's, not yours.

BB10 is a great OS with a lot of potential, but it is still a very "young" OS and is not for an average user right now.
    Unless it evolves a bit quicker....

Post via CB Z10
    11-07-13 01:53 PM
    The phone is evolving pretty fast, but not towards the direction some of you are looking. It's never going to be that simple to use phone with basic features.

They are going for the higher end, business users. The last thing BlackBerry needs to do is to try ti make phones like iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    togarika likes this.
    11-07-13 04:04 PM
    Windows phonr is too much like the iPhone in my opinion. In fact, I think it is good but just doesn't differentiate that much IMO.

Bb10 is awesome however.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 04:29 PM
    I'm waiting for bb10 to be fully functional out the box until I migrate my wife from i0s. See, that's why I thought Thor was either a dummy or a cheat/snake oil salesman. How can you expect to move "millions of phones" when those phones are incapable of doing the basics? People want and require ease of use, which is partly why iphones are so popular. BlackBerry didn't get that? I don't believe it.

Posted from BlackBerry Z10
    sinlessearth likes this.
    11-08-13 08:46 AM
    The BB's Confessional room lool
    We share the frustration!
    sinlessearth likes this.
    11-08-13 08:52 AM
    2 months ago I went with my mom and she got the Q5. It was her first phone. She has never even used a computer. The biggest selling point was the physical keypad. 2 months later she has basically mastered all the basics and couldn't be happier.

Posted via my awesome Q10
    11-08-13 09:07 AM