I'm a bit concerned about the upcoming headless app feature for BB10.

Personally I like BB10 and I don't really understand why anyone would want apps to be running out of control in the background.

Literally my favourite thing about BB10 is the great control over your running applications, knowing exactly what is and isn't running and being able to shut down apps when you no longer need them is something other mobile OSs lack.

Could anyone clarify whether this is an option that will be turned on and off or whether there is still some forms of control in place? I basically want to know if in10.2 I will be forced into a situation where I will never know if the apps I close are still running or not.

Posted via CB10
    jegitoe likes this.
    06-19-13 04:29 AM
    Not sure if you will have options to control this but BB10 needs to have headless apps. Otherwise it will be a joke of an OS really. Its stupid to have to open apps like battery guru (this feature should be backed into the OS) or things like wallpaper changer, HUB++ etc as active frames. It also makes notifications a nightmare for some apps.
    06-19-13 04:34 AM
    I made a thread about this before. It sounds like you can give each app a permission to run headless or not

Posted via CB10
    southlander and Chriz like this.
    06-19-13 05:07 AM
    I made a thread about this before. It sounds like you can give each app a permission to run headless or not

Posted via CB10
    That's good to hear. This is basically what I was hoping for. I don't mind giving permission to specific apps that I run all day long anyway such as BeBuzz in my case but I don't want all of my apps running around like headless chickens in the background ( pun intended ).

I just hope that there will be a centrally managed section in settings where you can just tick / untick apps easily instead of going into every individual app permissions.

Posted via CB10
    MizzCrack likes this.
    06-19-13 05:11 AM
    I'm a bit concerned about the upcoming headless app feature for BB10.

Personally I like BB10 and I don't really understand why anyone would want apps to be running out of control in the background.

Literally my favourite thing about BB10 is the great control over your running applications, knowing exactly what is and isn't running and being able to shut down apps when you no longer need them is something other mobile OSs lack.

Could anyone clarify whether this is an option that will be turned on and off or whether there is still some forms of control in place? I basically want to know if in10.2 I will be forced into a situation where I will never know if the apps I close are still running or not.

Posted via CB10
    you need headless apps for things like multi color led control because if you shut the active frame down you don't have the led control working which is not something you really want, pointless active frames cluttering the active frames on your phone.

you can still change settings for the headless apps by launching the app itself or just delete them if you no longer have use for them.

I think once you havea few headless apps you will feel better
    06-19-13 05:13 AM
    So would the music app run headless or not? I hate having to leave the music app open as an active frame sometimes

Posted via CB10
    shaunj539 likes this.
    06-19-13 12:55 PM
    The music app doesn't need to run headless. You need the app open to select tracks and generally use a music player. It wouldn't make sense for a music app to just play non stop music in the background. Headless apps are one that are not user controlled. Apps that basically do things for you in the background that adjust to your location or give you notifications of things that are happening.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 02:42 PM
    Can someone give an example of how you would shut down a headless app if you didn't want it running anymore?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 02:44 PM
    Can someone give an example of how you would shut down a headless app if you didn't want it running anymore?

Posted via CB10
    My guess is you would have a choice when closing the app if you want to exit or close (and leave it running). If you want to exit later, you can open it then exit . Or maybe there would be some kind of task manager that you can open to kill running apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 02:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    We need a task manager. We'll need one even more with headless apps coming.
    sanjk1 likes this.
    06-19-13 06:13 PM
    That's good to hear. This is basically what I was hoping for. I don't mind giving permission to specific apps that I run all day long anyway such as BeBuzz in my case but I don't want all of my apps running around like headless chickens in the background ( pun intended ).

I just hope that there will be a centrally managed section in settings where you can just tick / untick apps easily instead of going into every individual app permissions.

Posted via CB10
    headless chicken zombies

I hope there will be an option also
    06-19-13 06:26 PM
    Totally agree! I miss the ability to see running apps.

BB10, Z10
    06-19-13 06:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Go to

Settings>Security and Privacy>Application Permissions

You can toggle permissions On/Off there.
    06-19-13 06:30 PM
    Email Blackberry! [email protected] and request that option in a future update! I know I will.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    06-19-13 06:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Load up the active frame, then hold down the "X" to completely shut down an app.

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    06-19-13 06:37 PM
    Perhaps we could have a task manager of running apps above the main 4 frames that you can access by pulling down (like how you pull down in the hub to see upcoming calendar events).

I would however appreciate if holding on the X button on the active frame would force close the app.

In fact I notice that there already appears to be a holding down on the X button function (which currently does the same as tapping but it only does it once you have held it for 2 seconds). So maybe BlackBerry already have an idea in mind for holding this button.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 06:47 PM
    Some apps (Sky Sports football) and others have 'Close' or 'Run in background' options. Would be good for that!

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 06:48 PM
    Not sure if you will have options to control this but BB10 needs to have headless apps. Otherwise it will be a joke of an OS really. Its stupid to have to open apps like battery guru (this feature should be backed into the OS) or things like wallpaper changer, HUB++ etc as active frames. It also makes notifications a nightmare for some apps.
    Don't forget color iD or berry buzz

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 06:49 PM
    I'd think BlackBerry would be extremely foolish to release widespread headless app functionality without a Task Manager along with it.
    06-19-13 08:17 PM
    I read that BlackBerry does not want a task manager in BB10, it would seem kind of dumb because then you need a task manager to manage a multitasking OS.

I think that their will be some kind of "Pin" option, or a box that comes up when closing an app's active frame that has permissions to run in the background that asks whether or not to keep it running headless.

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    06-19-13 08:22 PM
    I hope it's listed as a permission in settings.

Posted via CB10
    madx80h likes this.
    06-19-13 09:06 PM
    Load up the active frame, then hold down the "X" to completely shut down an app.

Posted via CB10
    Ummm... headless apps won't have an active frame. That why they are called "headless".

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 09:10 PM
    It is stupid to need this app in the first place actually. All of this should be on the core os.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.2354)
    06-19-13 09:13 PM
    I read that BlackBerry does not want a task manager in BB10, it would seem kind of dumb because then you need a task manager to manage a multitasking OS.

I think that their will be some kind of "Pin" option, or a box that comes up when closing an app's active frame that has permissions to run in the background that asks whether or not to keep it running headless.

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    There's no need for a task manager to shut down headless apps if they work like some desktop services. The headless part would run in the background while a second "controller" app could be linked to it when opened and allow it to be configured or shut down. I'm guessing BB10 has an interprocess messaging protocol that could be used by a controller app to give instructions to the headless part.

That doesn't mean a task manager wouldn't be useful for other reasons.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 09:16 PM
    Yes it sure would be nice to have messaging apps and data monitoring apps run as background services, "headless" so we don't have to leave active frames open like we do now....

JR
    06-19-13 10:18 PM
69 123