In terms of the attack surface, what sort of increase am I looking at, realistically, if I were to keep Whatsapp installed on my phone and use it? I do realise that being an Android app, I do not have a choice as to what I 'allow' it to have access to - it appears to have access to everything on the phone.

Would appreciate any advice you guys might have. Cheers!
    What kinds of attack surface are you concerned about?

The only thing that android apps have access to is whatever the runtime is allowed - usually the typical contacts, calendar, and information that is shared between the basic runtime and its link via a stub to the matching info in BB10.

Usually the kind of info the app needs is what it needs to do its thing. File access, for example, is needed if you share photos from the phone. Contacts so it can know who you want to communicate with. Sure, you can use the app TrumpetTiger mentioned (I've used it), to limit the excessive stuff, but the app itself is fine.

And, honestly, Whatsapp is mining that info regardless of what platform you are using. I don't care what they say, I don't trust them.

Root level android attacks are pretty much non-existent because there is no "root" in the BB10 android runtime. Because it's a runtime, or emulator, not the whole OS. Root attacks look for things that simply don't exist in the emulator (there have been several inquires posted on these forums over the years asking how to root the runtime - you can't). If an attack tries to get access through a stub, the sandbox stops it.
    santoshwins and ppeters914 like this.
    07-21-19 12:04 PM

The only thing that android apps have access to is whatever the runtime is allowed - usually the typical contacts, calendar, and information that is shared between the basic runtime and its link via a stub to the matching info in BB10.

Usually the kind of info the app needs is what it needs to do its thing. File access, for example, is needed if you share photos from the phone. Contacts so it can know who you want to communicate with. Sure, you can use the app TrumpetTiger mentioned (I've used it), to limit the excessive stuff, but the app itself is fine.

And, honestly, Whatsapp is mining that info regardless of what platform you are using. I don't care what they say, I don't trust them.

Root level android attacks are pretty much non-existent because there is no "root" in the BB10 android runtime. Because it's a runtime, or emulator, not the whole OS. Root attacks look for things that simply don't exist in the emulator (there have been several inquires posted on these forums over the years asking how to root the runtime - you can't). If an attack tries to get access through a stub, the sandbox stops it.
    Exactly what joeldf, thurask and the others have said....

Chuck Finley69 2020
    07-21-19 12:43 PM

Thanks so much for that, joeldf. I understand what you are saying. I was hoping the sandbox would come into picture here. Agreed on Whatsapp data mining bit but I might still limit its access to contacts only.

Thanks for all the input guys. Truly appreciate it.

Every time I visit CB, my Q5 gets another lease of life!

Cheers!
    07-22-19 07:10 AM
    I'm now using BLACKBERRY Q10,and only few days ago Classic.
    I want to use blackberry phone for eternal but it will be end of life.Then what I should to do.

I really hate Android.Its users are very disgusting.They are always bothering pedestrians,and passengers.
    Almost all of them are foolish.I never want to be same of them.
    And iPhone users are also disgusting because they have elective thought.They assume themselves as intelligence.It's damn weird.I never want to be same of them.

Kai OS is pretty good so far for me.But KaiOS doesn't support to input Japanese language. This function is absolutely necessary for me that who live in Japan and having opportunity of contact in Japanese language.

And I hate big size phones,such as Key1,2 or Priv.I want to use mid-sized phone like as Q10.

How I can do when we'll encounter EOL of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Hey I feel your pain. When BlackBerry went to Android I had to make a choice since BB10 was the best choice for me. If I were you I’d also look at Sailfish OS. It can be loaded on certain Android phones such as Sony Experia and you don’t have to use Android OS if you don’t want to (although Sailfish has an Android runtime like BB10 has (don’t know the version though) so you could get some Android apps if you need them).
    The only thing I don’t know is whether Sailfish supports Japanese. It’s possible, since it does support other writing systems such as Cyrillic. Check it out. Peace.
    07-23-19 10:34 AM
    I forget if Ghost Commander has a way to access permissions or not. It's still available in BBW. But, I'd have to check later this evening to see if you can get to the android permissions. I don't have my Z10 with me.
    07-23-19 03:18 PM
    I have a nice clean app for permissions in Android 4.3.

https://mega.nz/#!IJxl2SiS!6UwENsYzZ...OTPuLqslbRyIKg
    Last edited by conite; 07-23-19 at 04:54 PM.
    santoshwins likes this.
    07-23-19 03:26 PM
    I'm now using BLACKBERRY Q10,and only few days ago Classic.
    I want to use blackberry phone for eternal but it will be end of life.Then what I should to do.

I really hate Android.Its users are very disgusting.They are always bothering pedestrians,and passengers.
    Almost all of them are foolish.I never want to be same of them.
    And iPhone users are also disgusting because they have elective thought.They assume themselves as intelligence.It's damn weird.I never want to be same of them.

Kai OS is pretty good so far for me.But KaiOS doesn't support to input Japanese language. This function is absolutely necessary for me that who live in Japan and having opportunity of contact in Japanese language.

And I hate big size phones,such as Key1,2 or Priv.I want to use mid-sized phone like as Q10.

How I can do when we'll encounter EOL of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Get a device running KAIos.
    07-23-19 04:19 PM
    KaiOS is trash. No apps and phones aren't cheap

Posted via CB10
    08-06-19 10:21 AM

Thanks, conite. That really does help. Cheers!
    09-05-19 12:34 AM
    KaiOS is trash. No apps and phones aren't cheap

Posted via CB10
    Really? The latest Nokia phones certainly say otherwise. Has a bunch of Google apps including Google Assistant. And Snake! :-)

Given the volume of phones sold with KaiOS, obviously there are plenty of people who disagree with your assessment. Despite what the press would have you believe, most people do not need so many apps.
    Just a passable browser, basic PIM and text works well for many users, especially those that are not chasing the latest $1000 flagships

My local carrier still stocks a basic flip phone, and it is not leftover inventory. There is still obviously demand for this
    John Albert likes this.
    09-06-19 11:37 AM
    Really? The latest Nokia phones certainly say otherwise. Has a bunch of Google apps including Google Assistant. And Snake! :-)

Given the volume of phones sold with KaiOS, obviously there are plenty of people who disagree with your assessment. Despite what the press would have you believe, most people do not need so many apps.
    Just a passable browser, basic PIM and text works well for many users, especially those that are not chasing the latest $1000 flagships

My local carrier still stocks a basic flip phone, and it is not leftover inventory. There is still obviously demand for this
    I think most still able to get by on BB10 would be fine on KaiOS... it's not a full smartphone OS, but it isn't a dumbphone OS either. But while it does email, I'm not sure how productive those tools are on KaiOS... probable more basic with few options.

Still think if you want a smartphone... get iOS is the simple solution that should meet most users needs. Or with Android I'd go with a Pixel phone as its easy to customize it and even degoogle it to some degree. Or as open as it is you can install something else like LineageOS.

DO NOTE GET a phone with a locked bootrom or that isn't supported by custom ROMS.... unless you do like Android as is. Pixel 3a seems popular among some of these groups
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-06-19 01:39 PM

Given the volume of phones sold with KaiOS, obviously there are plenty of people who disagree with your assessment.
    Let’s not get carried away. From what I have read (no first hand experience) these phones are for emerging markets. While they may have Google assistant, it is basic and cannot integrate with other apps. Snake? Ok. They are slow and difficult to use.
    If you want something slightly better than a dumb phone, they certainly are a choice. Most people want more than that.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-06-19 04:03 PM
    nothing like getting insulted on a forum on the internet. OP is going to find it hard to get help with his great attitude towards others.
    Yup, that's especially true. I use all platforms, regardless.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    09-07-19 10:13 PM
    If you don't like iOS, Android, or KaiOS I think your only other option is Sailfish.
    This OS sounds like you have to have some technical ability to set it up BUT... it has very good Android cross-functionality apparently and is very nice looking and functional. Much more recent Android versions than BB10.
    09-08-19 06:24 PM
    I'm sorry that my English is no good.Maybe I made a lot of mistakes at spelling,grammar, or word choice.

Please tell me what was wrong.

That is all I want to say;
    I hate Android/iOS and these users and these contents.
    So I want to avoid using these.So far my just only option is BB10,but it will be end.
    What phone should I use after this?

And,I've had conviction that there are some of Android/iOS haters such as me,in the world.
    I expected to be able to gain empathies of some members,but...

Posted via CB10
    Give this independent-thinker a break! So he wants to do his own thing. That's great and I have some of the same feeling about BB10 that make me like standing out (apart from it just being better for tasking -- which is the main appeal).

I don't want to be a vassal to a corporate overlord spying on my every activity on my phone.
    09-08-19 06:29 PM
    Give this independent-thinker a break! So he wants to do his own thing. That's great and I have some of the same feeling about BB10 that make me like standing out (apart from it just being better for tasking -- which is the main appeal).

I don't want to be a vassal to a corporate overlord spying on my every activity on my phone.
    Sounds a bit dramatic. You’re entitled to your feelings but I wouldn’t get to jacked up about it.
    09-08-19 07:36 PM

add it to my mega so i can easily find it if needed!(also dose it work on any version other than 4.3? just curious to know!)
    09-14-19 02:48 PM
    add it to my mega so i can easily find it if needed!(also dose it work on any version other than 4.3? just curious to know!)
    No. It was just a bug in version 4.3 that allowed for it.

It only became available again with Android 6, but you don't need an app for it.
    Mojarch likes this.
    09-14-19 02:51 PM
    No. It was just a bug in version 4.3 that allowed for it.

It only became available again with Android 6, but you don't need an app for it.
    quite interesting!
    thnx for info!
    09-14-19 02:57 PM
194 ... 678