I have read the word 'locked down BB10' a few times on this thread? Does that simply mean a stock BB10 with any third-party app deleted or disabled?
    That's what I would assume, plus turning off Bluetooth, NFC, etc. when not in use.
    santoshwins likes this.
    05-16-19 04:29 PM
    I know this is off-topic at this stage but thanks to this thread, my Krack-free Q5 is up and running. Locked down, I would presume, as I have deleted anything that was deletable and I use only the email push and the browser.

The funny thing is, when I used the autoloader, there was no BB World installed (not that it is useful for anything anymore, but still). I had to use that 'tool' from BlackBerry to install the BB World. Now I have it and can't do much with it - sort of sums BB10 up right there :-/

But still, very grateful to all the info here. Cheers, guys :-)
    06-08-19 06:32 AM
    Seems weird.

I just reloaded the latest available OS (as of this post) - 10.3.3.3216 - last week on my Z10 via autoloader, and BBW was there. Not sure why a Q5 wouldn't include it.
    06-08-19 01:27 PM
    Weird is the BB10 universe, eh? :-)
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-08-19 06:05 PM
    Seems weird.

I just reloaded the latest available OS (as of this post) - 10.3.3.3216 - last week on my Z10 via autoloader, and BBW was there. Not sure why a Q5 wouldn't include it.
    I'm still on whatever the last official Verizon version is, BBW still there.
    06-08-19 08:03 PM
    Look, after December 31, 2019, it's not like your BB10 is going to all of a sudden drop dead. Whatever you're doing now will likely continue to work in 2020 (aside from BBWorld).

I was just in Japan a couple months ago and I my Passport worked fine with NTT and Softbank. I would just keep using it until it doesn't work.

An EOL BB10 is still going to be far more capable than KaiOS.
    I've looked at possible options a lot and if you're not keen on iOS or Android, BB10 is your next best choice.

For myself, I have iPhone with latest OS, Windows 10 mobile even (also latest update) and a couple of Androids. I have options, but I am choosing to continue using my BB10 phones.

If you want to take a gamble, grab yourself an Xperia and hope that Sailfish matures in time
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    06-08-19 09:49 PM
    Look, after December 31, 2019, it's not like your BB10 is going to all of a sudden drop dead. Whatever you're doing now will likely continue to work in 2020 (aside from BBWorld).

I was just in Japan a couple months ago and I my Passport worked fine with NTT and Softbank. I would just keep using it until it doesn't work.

An EOL BB10 is still going to be far more capable than KaiOS.
    I've looked at possible options a lot and if you're not keen on iOS or Android, BB10 is your next best choice.

For myself, I have iPhone with latest OS, Windows 10 mobile even (also latest update) and a couple of Androids. I have options, but I am choosing to continue using my BB10 phones.

If you want to take a gamble, grab yourself an Xperia and hope that sailfish matures in time
    Long time ago (probably 3 year ago or more) I gave sailfish OS on my nexus 4 shot and it was all good and useful the only problem was lack of apps which was solved by back droid or similar named app that used android Base of Sailfish.

Send by PassPort Silver Edition
    06-09-19 04:40 AM
    Long time ago (probably 3 year ago or more) I gave sailfish OS on my nexus 4 shot and it was all good and useful the only problem was lack of apps which was solved by back droid or similar named app that used android Base of Sailfish.
    Well that's the problem with ALL alternate OS, isn't it? I looked into it very recently (unfortunately they still aren't selling to much of the world) and the app situation is still back stopped by Android.
    If that is the case, why not run an already productive, mature OS that has some Android compatibility already? It's in your hands now.

Either that or throw in the towel and run some version of Android. AOSP and disable Google Play Store and play services will net you some peace of mind and still a workable platform. But to be fair (this is something I tried), now you are back at limited app selection and the same degree of functionality offered by...BB10. You just have a greater selection of hardware to pick from.
    santoshwins likes this.
    06-09-19 11:27 AM
    Recently I'd lost my blackberry Q10,And now got back.
    While my phone had been left from my hand,BB Protect was useful and essential.I used its remote function of locking phone and displaying messages.It was very helpful for retriving my phone.

I now have just one phone,for all of my activity,like as work,private,and connection with family,etc.I don't have even Internet environment at my home.
    It's almost the my only way to contact with people.

I'm afraid BLACKBERRY Protect will be shut down.
    I now have only two device,Q10 and classic.(Sim is on Q10 now).Before use these,I used feature phone,that called in Japan "Galapagos phone".I've never used i/android phones.
    And,I'm really afraid of the time that I must to use Android phone would maybe come.
    My almost the only one option is keyone,because key two is too expensive(also LE),and PKB is necessary for my use.
    But apparently,I maybe not able to love it,according to some of reviews that I read.

I absolutely want another options.
    If KaiOS supports Japanese language,It is good.
    Or,BB11 is the best,but almost hopeless.

I have no idea.
    Or,would I rather stop to use any phone?

Posted via CB10
    Hey BB Mens,

To address your original question, despite popular opinion on this forum there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that anything other than Blackberry World will be shut down as of 12/31/2019. I'd recommend you keep using your BB10 phone as long as you like, as everything other than Blackberry World will continue to work with no trouble.
    06-11-19 07:47 PM
    everything other than Blackberry World will continue to work with no trouble.
    The fact is, we don't know. To state this as a fact you need to provide evidence - can you do that?

To get Google Contacts to sync for example, is getting harder and harder. The 'new' server address you had provided has now also been depleted. Who knows how long this new one will last?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-19 08:40 PM
    The fact is, we don't know. To state this as a fact you need to provide evidence - can you do that?

To get Google Contacts to sync for example, is getting harder and harder. The 'new' server address you had provided has now also been depleted. Who knows how long this new one will last?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I can.

Here is the official word from Blackberry Limited regarding Blackberry 10 support:

https://blogs.blackberry.com/2017/12...g-your-loyalty

This statement does specifically state that Blackberry World will be shutting down, and makes direct reference to a number of other Blackberry services. It says nothing about Maps, Blackberry ID authentication, or related items. Given that Blackberry Limited specifically called out services it is planning to shut down with dates and has met those dates but has not shut down other services (indeed, they have kept services such as BBM running for consumers when Emtek--which many in these forums are directly quoted as saying would last for the foreseeable future--shut them down with no notice).

Many folks seem to suggest that simply because it is theoretically possible that some things could maybe shut down at some point, or because Blackberry Limited has said that they will shut down Blackberry World on 12/31/2019, that that means that things could go at any point and BB10 phones are no longer viable because they might theoretically implode. There is no evidence to support this, and there is a great deal of evidence to the contrary.

As for Google Contacts, I'm glad someone was able to find an alternative server address in my absence and that that is working for folks. That's great! It is also possible that third-party services will of course cease to function with Blackberry 10 due to server API changes or the like. But that is different than the common refrain that everything will somehow stop and your BB10 device will be bricked on 12/31.
    06-11-19 08:48 PM
    Yes, I can.

Here is the official word from Blackberry Limited regarding Blackberry 10 support:

This statement does specifically state that Blackberry World will be shutting down, and makes direct reference to a number of other Blackberry services. It says nothing about Maps, Blackberry ID authentication, or related items. Given that Blackberry Limited specifically called out services it is planning to shut down with dates and has met those dates but has not shut down other services (indeed, they have kept services such as BBM running for consumers when Emtek--which many in these forums are directly quoted as saying would last for the foreseeable future--shut them down with no notice).

Many folks seem to suggest that simply because it is theoretically possible that some things could maybe shut down at some point, or because Blackberry Limited has said that they will shut down Blackberry World on 12/31/2019, that that means that things could go at any point and BB10 phones are no longer viable because they might theoretically implode. There is no evidence to support this, and there is a great deal of evidence to the contrary.

As for Google Contacts, I'm glad someone was able to find an alternative server address in my absence and that that is working for folks. That's great! It is also possible that third-party services will of course cease to function with Blackberry 10 due to server API changes or the like. But that is different than the common refrain that everything will somehow stop and your BB10 device will be bricked on 12/31.
    They made that statement 1.5 years ago. Pretty sure that is nothing I would count on at this point.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-11-19 08:59 PM
    Yes, I can.

"While we are pleased to announce continuing support for BB10 and BBOS users for at least another two years, current device owners should be aware that we will be closing some ancillary services such as the BlackBerry World app store (12/31/2019), the BlackBerry Travel site (February 2018), and the Playbook video calling service (March 2018). "

When they used the words "such as", they weren't specifically mentioning every service that will be shut down.
    Yes, if they were shutting down another major service they would surely have made mention of it in that article - but do we know?

I am in agreement with you though, the phones won't be bricked and/or implode, but to say that everything other than BB World will still work perfectly and with no problems sounded a bit far fetched (to me anyway) - especially when we're already starting to have issues with said Contacts.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-19 09:03 PM
    "While we are pleased to announce continuing support for BB10 and BBOS users for at least another two years, current device owners should be aware that we will be closing some ancillary services such as the BlackBerry World app store (12/31/2019), the BlackBerry Travel site (February 2018), and the Playbook video calling service (March 2018). "

When they used the words "such as", they weren't specifically mentioning every service that will be shut down.
    Yes, if they were shutting down another major service they would surely have made mention of it in that article - but do we know?
    We don't know with certainty that Apple won't decide to exit the hardware business tomorrow, shut down iOS, and focus exclusively on Apple TV, but it's highly unlikely. We also can't be certain that Google engineers won't accidentally cause a shutdown of vast parts of the Internet (which has happened), but it again is unlikely.

All we can do is point to the evidence. The evidence we have says that Blackberry Limited is keeping BB10-related services up and running--more so than their Android counterparts, in fact. Trying to say that "it might happen" is a popular argument on these forums, but one made completely without evidence.

I am in agreement with you though, the phones won't be bricked and/or implode, but to say that everything other than BB World will still work perfectly and with no problems sounded a bit far fetched (to me anyway) - especially when we're already starting to have issues with said Contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough. I occasionally use shorthand to avoid being that explicit in my comments and to emphatically address the point of view espoused by the group which does imply if not state that phones will brick, but I will update my statement to say that everything which is not controlled by a party other than Blackberry Limited will continue to work perfectly post 12/31.
    06-11-19 09:09 PM
    They made that statement 1.5 years ago. Pretty sure that is nothing I would count on at this point.
    You are of course free to hold whatever opinion you wish. Ben asked for evidence, and that is evidence. What weight people choose to give the evidence is their own affair.
    06-11-19 09:10 PM
    I occasionally use shorthand to avoid being that explicit in my comments and to emphatically address the point of view espoused by the group which does imply if not state that phones will brick, but I will update my statement to say that everything which is not controlled by a party other than Blackberry Limited will continue to work perfectly post 12/31.
    I see, sounds good.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-19 09:22 PM
    I love BlackBerry 10, but I do also dabble with other operating systems.
    06-11-19 09:51 PM

As a further show of our appreciation and gratitude, we are working with our partners at BlackBerry Mobile to offer a trade-up program that will provide you with a significant discount and incentive to upgrade your current BlackBerry device to a new BlackBerry KeyOne or Motion, both of which are the world’s most secure Android smartphones.
    So, what happened to this? If they're lying about a trade-in program, what credibility does the rest of the statement have?
    Ecm and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-12-19 05:03 PM
    So, what happened to this? If they're lying about a trade-in program, what credibility does the rest of the statement have?
    There could be a trade in program... Android Flagship OEM xxxx could also do away with trade in program

LMAO the evidence we have is that BB exited the mobile phone business and will complete the process 12/31/2019 and you’re right,.....
    06-12-19 07:10 PM
    The trade in program happened.

https://crackberry.com/blackberry-mo...rogram-germany

As for the credibility of the statement, the fact that every single item in the statement has happened exactly when Blackberry Limited said it would speaks to its credibility.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-12-19 10:45 PM
    The trade in program happened...
    So it was only for people in Germany? I wonder if that's exactly what people expected based on how the statement was written.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-13-19 04:29 AM
    So it was only for people in Germany? I wonder if that's exactly what people expected based on how the statement was written.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Lol the trade-in program instructions/FAQs should've been in German as well. 😁
    06-13-19 04:54 AM

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Of course not. But since Elephant didn't seem to believe it occurred at all, I thought I'd provide some evidence that it did in fact happen. You are free to track down each and every country to which it applied, as you are likewise free to completely disregard the evidence which says that Blackberry 10 and related services will keep functioning normally after 12/31/19.

I, however, will keep pointing out the actual situation to which the evidence points.
    06-13-19 06:25 AM
    Of course not. But since Elephant didn't seem to believe it occurred at all, I thought I'd provide some evidence that it did in fact happen. You are free to track down each and every country to which it applied, as you are likewise free to completely disregard the evidence which says that Blackberry 10 and related services will keep functioning normally after 12/31/19.

I, however, will keep pointing out the actual situation to which the evidence points.

Fair enough, I guess my comment was a bit trollish.

I'll leave it to Elephant or others to confirm/comment on what countries got the trade in offer or how wide spread it did or didn't occur.

I don't have any questions about the services functioning or not after end of 2019.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-13-19 08:30 AM

I'll leave it to Elephant or others to confirm/comment on what countries got the trade in offer or how wide spread it did or didn't occur.
    There was none. Only took place Germany.
    06-13-19 08:37 AM
194 ... 45678