I don't think you can on BB10. Sorry for any confusion. I was thinking more generally.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Agreed.
    But you can simply turn off the device password altogether.

And, no thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-19 06:06 PM
    ...There are hundreds of security controls, and which ones are most valuable depend upon the threat scenario...may be the most common scenario for most readers if these forums, it is by no means the only one relevant for millions of people who are very specifically targeted either for who they are, what they own, or when they work for...
    I agree. Sounds like it'd be a good witness answer also.

To tie back to the original question, if one assumes the BB10 call home and check in features don't result in our BB10 devices becoming useless after 31 Dec, and if one still enjoys the existing functionally of one's existing BB10 phone as opposed to some of the Android or iOS alternatives, then I suggest sticking it out as long as possible, but probably wise to also have a backup plan.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-09-19 06:39 PM
    I dont know what you wan, but im sorry to hear that, you cant

Posted via CB10
    05-09-19 09:39 PM
    I agree. Sounds like it'd be a good witness answer also.

To tie back to the original question, if one assumes the BB10 call home and check in features don't result in our BB10 devices becoming useless after 31 Dec, and if one still enjoys the existing functionally of one's existing BB10 phone as opposed to some of the Android or iOS alternatives, then I suggest sticking it out as long as possible, but probably wise to also have a backup plan.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Yes. I'm likely to continue using my BB10 phones for many tasks that don't involve personal or work information.

I'll likely take the SIMs out and use them as "burner" devices for alias email accounts at home and in my office on WiFi. By keeping them on premesis and not using them for sensitive information, I can use them without BlackBerry Protect.

I am 99.9% confident that a locked down BB10 phone with no Android apps installed is safer than the newest Android phone fully patched for basic email use, simply because it has a much smaller attack surface and a much smaller threat community focused on it.

So long as BlackBerry Protect is working, I'll continue to use it as a daily driver as long as batteries are available and either the bands or the WiFi protocols are working and secure.

The more time I spend learning about Android, the less I like it. I started off believing that its flexibility was a net asset because it improved work flows and productivity over iOS, but the more I learn about its lack of consistency in upgrades and patching (almost 50% of in-service Android phones are on Marshmallow or earlier versions) and its numerous privacy problems, the more convinced I become that iOS is a safer choice for all but the absolute nerdiest users and most vigilant enterprises.

It's definitely possible to use Android securely, and maintain a reasonable amount of privacy, but the effort required is enormous relative to achieving similar levels on iOS.

I still really, really hate working on iOS, but it's what I would recommend to 99% of clients who want the simplest path to security and privacy.

BB10 still beats them both hands down, but only for people not running third party or Android apps.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-09-19 09:59 PM
    Recently I'd lost my blackberry Q10,And now got back.
    While my phone had been left from my hand,BB Protect was useful and essential.I used its remote function of locking phone and displaying messages.It was very helpful for retriving my phone.

I now have just one phone,for all of my activity,like as work,private,and connection with family,etc.I don't have even Internet environment at my home.
    It's almost the my only way to contact with people.

I'm afraid BLACKBERRY Protect will be shut down.
    I now have only two device,Q10 and classic.(Sim is on Q10 now).Before use these,I used feature phone,that called in Japan "Galapagos phone".I've never used i/android phones.
    And,I'm really afraid of the time that I must to use Android phone would maybe come.
    My almost the only one option is keyone,because key two is too expensive(also LE),and PKB is necessary for my use.
    But apparently,I maybe not able to love it,according to some of reviews that I read.

I absolutely want another options.
    If KaiOS supports Japanese language,It is good.
    Or,BB11 is the best,but almost hopeless.

I have no idea.
    Or,would I rather stop to use any phone?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-19 01:40 AM
    Priv seems no good for me.
    05-11-19 04:43 PM
    Priv seems no good for me.
    Priv is still Android and it's going EOL along with BB10 so I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

Given your requirements, have you looked at Sailfish? I'm not sure if it supports Japanese Input but there's an open source project for it although it hasn't been updated in a few years so I don't know if it still works.

https://github.com/arvidfm/jolla-anthy-jp

https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-12959
    05-11-19 05:05 PM
    ...I'm afraid BLACKBERRY Protect will be shut down. I now have only two device,Q10 and classic.(Sim is on Q10 now).Before use these,I used feature phone,that called in Japan "Galapagos phone".I've never used i/android phone...I absolutely want another options...If KaiOS supports Japanese language,It is good...Or,BB11 is the best,but almost hopeless....Or,would I rather stop to use any phone?...
    Since your extreme range of possible options include not using any phone at all and you enjoy your current Q10/Classic, I'll repeat my earlier suggestion for you to just keep using your Q10/Classic until maybe they die or until maybe BBProtect stops working. Worse case at that point in time is that you'll not have a phone to use at all, which seems to be something you aren't fully adverse to either.

Not sure what else can be offered for advice.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-11-19 05:33 PM
    Continued use of BB10 seems like the best solution for the time being. If there are specific requirements BB10 doesn't meet, please list them, and we'll do our best to help.

It's possible to make Android behave better, but it requires time and vigilance. The same is true of iOS. Both obviously are acceptable to many millions of users, but that doesn't mean anyone should compromise themselves to adapt, either.

I think the best thing is to be honest about the minimum functions required to make a phone useful to you. From there it should be relatively easy to find the best solution, including any compromises worth making.

BBHermes and santoshwins like this.
    05-11-19 05:58 PM
    So you have just insulted 99.9% of the world. Nice.

Btw, at least half of the people here use Android or iOS.
    Or both
    05-11-19 06:01 PM
    If you don't like iOS, Android, or KaiOS I think your only other option is Sailfish.
    Or the now redundant Windows Phone 10
    05-11-19 06:07 PM
    The irony to be posting this on a website that is NAMED for the owners of BB phones having a tendency to be addicted to using them everywhere...
    We are Cracked on Berries, but hopefully NOT Cocaine unless it is lBlackberry Coke"
    05-11-19 06:12 PM
    I ran out so I used the ones I found at the clinic. Penicillin has cleared up some issues, not sure what this estrogen stuff does but I’m really upset with all the personal attacks now. Y’all need to consider my feelings...
    This is clearly a case for Dr Finlay's Casebook. (UK TV)
    05-11-19 06:15 PM
    Or the now redundant Windows Phone 10
    Windows Phone will be EOL over the next year as well.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/18/1...upport-updates

If you're fine with BB10's app gap but need a supported platform that isn't iOS or Android then KaiOS or Sailfish are the only option.
    05-11-19 06:33 PM
    Given your requirements, have you looked at Sailfish? I'm not sure if it supports Japanese Input but there's an open source project for it although it hasn't been updated in a few years so I don't know if it still works.
    Of course,I'm interested in SailfishOS.But I don't know,PKB mounted Sailfish devices are exsist or not.
    I need PKB device that is not Android and is good size like Q10.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-19 09:50 PM
    OP, (1) Japanese language I guess is like chinese - as a outsider, it got easily confused with "I love you" and "I like you"... I think "hate" is what means "dislike"? Lost in translation - just like we are so difficult to use correct of the Japanese "tune" based on the class of the people you talk to... (nightmare...)
    (2) Docomo might be your life saver - wait and see. Look like there is a need for Japanese to have unique OS. your feeling may not be alone ;-). Good luck
    https://www.roadtovr.com/magic-leap-...om-ntt-docomo/
    05-11-19 09:52 PM
    stlabrat

I'm sorry for I couldn't understand what you meant about your mentioned 'tune',because of just my lack of English knowledge.If you OK, please teach me...

Probably,the OSes Android and i are not guilty.
    In this point,I was wrong about choosing word,probably.
    But,I still 'HATE' these users and contents.Absolutely.
    They often kill and hurt and trouble surrounding people.And they only don't stop,but also increase.
    And, what does let them so?You understood,those are Android/iOS contents.
    These contents are accelarating to make them addiction,for purpose of squeezing money from them.
    And they,that be addicted by these contents,demands more and more.
    Then contents maker make more addictive contents.
    That is negative chain.
    This chain not only let them unfortunate,but also kill and hurt their surroundings.
    So I regard them guilty.I hate them.
    And,I don't know blackberry or other phone users among these disgusting people.
    They are always i/Android OS users,at least in my knowing.

I mention about them of only in Japan.I say again,I don't know in other countries.
    And I never say that all of i/Android users are like them.
    Especially on here,not so.
    But,would you understand what I mean?

And,I've not know about Magic Leap OS.Thank you tell me it.
    But,it seems apparently be aimed for richer people.
    I'm not rich,so for me it seems that KaiOS is more suitable

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by B B Mens in Japan; 05-12-19 at 09:17 AM.
    05-12-19 09:03 AM
    OK guys enough. Lets not talk about the users and hating and killing. Just drop it or leave before we force you to. Its a phone forum and we are WAY off topic in this discussion.
    05-12-19 09:50 AM
    OK guys enough. Lets not talk about the users and hating and killing. Just drop it or leave before we force you to. Its a phone forum and we are WAY off topic in this discussion.
    In two days we have “facism” and “killing” with the context and meaning either incorrect or improper for a reasonable discourse on a public forum.

No bueno says Trumperican me as I scream, “Can’t we all just get along?!?” Seriously guys..... Discourse is fun, disrespect, not so much.
    eshropshire and elfabio80 like this.
    05-12-19 02:29 PM
    Continued use of BB10 seems like the best solution for the time being. If there are specific requirements BB10 doesn't meet, please list them, and we'll do our best to help.

It's possible to make Android behave better, but it requires time and vigilance. The same is true of iOS. Both obviously are acceptable to many millions of users, but that doesn't mean anyone should compromise themselves to adapt, either.

I think the best thing is, to be honest about the minimum functions required to make a phone useful to you. From there it should be relatively easy to find the best solution, including any compromises worth making.

This discussion has rekindled my hope of using my Q5 and PassportSE that I stopped using a year ago when the WPA2 vulnerability KRACK was discovered, and BB did not release a patch for it. Connecting to any wifi network sort of feels unsafe now. Even for the basic stuff.

I am no app/social-media user. Only ever used the browser and the emails. But can we really consider using those two basic functions on an unpatched phone? That is the only, and the only reason I use an iOS device. Never had I thought that I would end up using iOS or Android, but can we really continue to use OS10 devices?

Thanks for any advice you might have for me.
    05-15-19 08:05 AM
    This discussion has rekindled my hope of using my Q5 and PassportSE that I stopped using a year ago when the WPA2 vulnerability KRACK was discovered, and BB did not release a patch for it. Connecting to any wifi network sort of feels unsafe now. Even for the basic stuff.

I am no app/social-media user. Only ever used the browser and the emails. But can we really consider using those two basic functions on an unpatched phone? That is the only, and the only reason I use an iOS device. Never had I thought that I would end up using iOS or Android, but can we really continue to use OS10 devices?

Thanks for any advice you might have for me.
    Most say using a VPN would help... or that BB10 uniqueness would mitigate the threat.

WE... includes a lot of folks that have no problem installing hacks or using 3rd party stores to get apps. Security isn't something that everyone here really is all that worried about.

My view is BB10 is a grenade that has had the pin pulled... how long do you hold onto it? You are probably much better off with a current phone that is getting regular updates...
    05-15-19 08:14 AM
    Most say using a VPN would help... or that BB10 uniqueness would mitigate the threat.

WE... includes a lot of folks that have no problem installing hacks or using 3rd party stores to get apps. Security isn't something that everyone here really is all that worried about.

My view is BB10 is a grenade that has had the pin pulled... how long do you hold onto it? You are probably much better off with a current phone that is getting regular updates...
    I hear you... The funny thing is - I tried the VPN thing - I have had a PrivateInternetAccess account for more than a few years, and I worked really tirelessly with their (second and third tier) tech team to come to a configuration that works for BB10. There was none. I forget if that was the last straw or if KRACK was. But the camel's back was broken.

So no emails/browser on the BB10, then? :-)

And no offence at all to anyone on the forum, but 'TCL-made' just does not 'feel' right, if that makes sense. Research in Motion used to by synonymous with privacy and security. But TCL is just an android phone manufacturer...
    Last edited by santoshwins; 05-15-19 at 08:22 AM. Reason: TCL rant added!
    05-15-19 08:20 AM
    I hear you... The funny thing is - I tried the VPN thing - I have had a PrivateInternetAccess account for more than a few years, and I worked really tirelessly with their (second and third tier) tech team to come to a configuration that works for BB10. There was none. I forget if that was the last straw or if KRACK was. But the camel's back was broken.

So no emails/browser on the BB10, then? :-)

And no offence at all to anyone on the forum, but 'TCL-made' just does not 'feel' right, if that makes sense. Research in Motion used to by synonymous with privacy and security. But TCL is just an android phone manufacturer...
    Personally I don't doubt the security of a TCL made BlackBerry... I assume BlackBerry has enough skin in the game to make sure TCL isn't doing something on the lower layers. My only issue on security is... you need updates for the life of the phone. So a TCL phone has a rather short life cycle in comparisons to others in the "premium" market.
    05-15-19 08:34 AM
    Personally I don't doubt the security of a TCL made BlackBerry... I assume BlackBerry has enough skin in the game to make sure TCL isn't doing something on the lower layers. My only issue on security is... you need updates for the life of the phone. So a TCL phone has a rather short life cycle in comparisons to others in the "premium" market.
    That, and the infinite Android attack surface and vulnerabilities being discovered every second...

Slightly off-topic: I have read the word 'locked down BB10' a few times on this thread? Does that simply mean a stock BB10 with any third-party app deleted or disabled?

(can you see how desperately I want to bring these devices back in my life?)
    05-15-19 08:38 AM
    WPA2 vulnerability KRACK was discovered, and BB did not release a patch for it.
    KRACK was fixed on BB10 with a small update with 10.3.3.3216 (I believe).
    05-15-19 09:48 AM
194 ... 23456 ...