I want to reset the device but do not have the previous owner's login credentials, can I run an autoloader? or will it be locked forever?

Recently bought a used q5 off eBay, refurbished the outer hardware, and the q5 is useable. I did all this before finding out that BBID and Protect are active to the previous owner.

Software Release is 10.3.2.2474
    OS Version is 10.3.2.2639

I don't plan on using the q5 as a phone but wanted to keep it on me just for taking notes/journaling. If I can't reset it and login with my BBID, would it be unsafe (logging onto home network once in a while and saving personal notes via Docs To Go on it) for my usecase with another person's BBID on it? Thanks!

*Btw, it's a red body with black keys and looks damn sweet! I did the same refurbishing for a black q10 with the white model's polished frame.
    02-26-19 07:28 PM
    No, don't reset it!

Is the BBID still active? If the previous owner has signed into another device with the ID, it will sign out of your device. If the BBID is still active, you should be fine unless you need to wipe it or reinstall the software for some reason.

Can you not contact the seller and ask him/her to help you out?

Another thing you could try, go to settings / BlackBerry Protect and send an email to the address used as the username explaining your situation and ask them to help you out. If you get a reply, great. If not, you're no better off than before.
    sibeans likes this.
    02-26-19 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Turns out the seller (who was an ***) bought the q5 from another local sale, so almost sol.
    02-26-19 11:29 PM

Turns out the seller (who was an ***) bought the q5 from another local sale, so almost sol.
    Probably ran into the same issue, and decided to sell rather than deal with it.
    sibeans likes this.
    02-27-19 05:14 PM

Hey sibeans,

This doesn't help with using the device, but if the seller advertised the Q5 as usable and didn't have an "as-is" phrase on the eBay listing eBay will help you get your money back if you want. It depends on whether you want to go through the process or not.

One thing to consider on notes: you'll probably want some way of backing up the phone to preserve your notes/journal and without a Blackberry ID under your control to download Ultimate Backup or use Link you may have a hard time doing that. I'd return that guy/get money back and/or try to e-mail the username address as Ben suggests.
    sibeans likes this.
    02-27-19 08:09 PM
    Hello. I can't help with the password issue you are having. If this doesn't stop you downloading from BlackBerry World: you might like to use native Evernote which automatically syncs the contents of the built-in Remember app (and the Evernote app). Might be easier than downloading to a computer.

Posted via CB10
    sibeans likes this.
    03-01-19 01:42 AM
    Reaching out to the previous BBID owner (who was super helpful) was promising but didn't work out. Turns out he only had his Passport linked to his BBID. I managed to get past the login screen by running an autoloader and then rebooting the q5!

For some who might find this useful:

From accessing BBID in settings, entering the pw, and hitting verify; for some reason I couldn't go past the verify screen, it would just freeze up (the rest of the phone worked fine). So ran a security wipe by entering the wrong pw past 10 times.

From the setup screen, I couldn't get past the BBID login even entering the provided pw. So I ran an autoloader and came to the same BBID roadblock. Turned the q5 off/on and I was met with a create new / enter BBID screen!

Now all's well, I can't guarantee this will work for others but worked out for me.
    03-03-19 09:19 PM
    pics for fun!
    Attached Thumbnails I don't have previous owner's BBID on Q5, what are my options?-img_20190226_1630401.jpg   I don't have previous owner's BBID on Q5, what are my options?-img_20190225_1106094.jpg  
    03-03-19 09:27 PM
    Glad this worked out for you.
    03-04-19 05:24 AM
    pics for fun!
    Glad it worked out. I forgot how gorgeous the Q5 is!

Posted via CB10
    03-06-19 11:24 AM
    Reaching out to the previous BBID owner (who was super helpful) was promising but didn't work out. Turns out he only had his Passport linked to his BBID. I managed to get past the login screen by running an autoloader and then rebooting the q5!

For some who might find this useful:

From accessing BBID in settings, entering the pw, and hitting verify; for some reason I couldn't go past the verify screen, it would just freeze up (the rest of the phone worked fine). So ran a security wipe by entering the wrong pw past 10 times.

From the setup screen, I couldn't get past the BBID login even entering the provided pw. So I ran an autoloader and came to the same BBID roadblock. Turned the q5 off/on and I was met with a create new / enter BBID screen!

Now all's well, I can't guarantee this will work for others but worked out for me.
    It shouldn't work... unless you were still on an older OS that didn't have BlackBerry Theft Protection. But glad it did work for you...
    03-06-19 11:35 AM