I just leave this here I just got from Blackberry Team via https://twitter.com/BlackBerryHelp , so all of you just at least for a moment stopped killing all innocent horses:

"Hello, We're very sorry for the inconvenience about the Facebook application. To be honest, we are currently working on updating all applications that is needed to be updated. Not just Facebook but all the application. I don't know the exact date when would the update will be released but rest assured that we will notify everyone about it. ^KO"

I hope this is not just a speculations for me to calm down and we see really huge improvement with next BB10OS update! Update with Virtual keyboard layout letters / OS translations too, so everyone worldwide finally could buy and start using BB10OS devices!
    jope28 likes this.
    01-05-16 01:06 PM
    I'm an IT guy without many needs.
    BlackBerry is perfect for what I want to do.
    I can't be bothered with tech other than Blackberry.

I watch movies, listen to songs, edit pics and even create music with my BlackBerry devices during my leisure.
    File transfer is so simple it's ridiculous.

Browsing is fast and I find what I search for.
    I am 1% of the market.

I adhere to the pragmatic and don't believe I need to be force-fed what I think I should have.
    So no thanks Apple, Google or Windows.

And thank you to the developers who still maintain and update apps for BlackBerry.
    Some still appreciate the hard work and you haven't let me down.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Best post I've read in a long time!

Thanks!

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    BBHermes likes this.
    01-05-16 01:30 PM
    Yes to iTunes being horrible. It's the only desktop companion I dislike more than Link.

Outside the expense, I do like the lightning connector. I don't mind companies doing their own thing if it makes sense, and, IMHO, Apple's current charging solution is the best wired one out there.
    USB-C is better. But if Apple can make a few pennies off of every patented Lightning connector, we won't be seeing USB-C on iPhones any time soon.
    01-05-16 03:08 PM
    Google's claim is valid... IF we choose to accept their terms. If you delete all cookies every time you close your browser, and never log into your Google account, (or any other possible partner account) then they can't identify you.
    Whoh, nelly: I think that's conjecture: I'm sure that Google has LOTS of ways to associate IPs and MAC addresses and whatever else they want with IDs i.e. if you EVER logged into a Google account they can associate all sorts of devices with you personally. They've got entire TEAMS of people working on building personally-identifiable profiles, and the voluntary sign-in is tacit acceptance of this. If you think they aren't spending tens of millions of dollars in development effort to find new ways to identify you and market to you, you are absolutely naive.

All their servers see is an IP address that tells them nothing about who is at the keyboard. They can tell the make and maybe model of your device, what browser you might be using, what part of the country you are connecting from (not down to house, street, or even neighborhood) etc.
    ...and compare what you search for with the list of searches performed by anyone else who ever searched within a given time frame from that device and match behaviours with what they've stored from a given IP address... but the number of individual humans who use specific hardware is limited to fewer than 5 for most devices, so unless you do all your internet-ing at internet cafes, Google CAN put two and 10 (base 2) together in ways you can only imagine, and those ways are going to get even more "amazing" as time goes on.

I read an article recently that reported in horror that your unique device network interface (MAC address) is constantly being broadcast if you have wifi on, and that could be able someone with a network of wifi sniffers to track your movements. They, however would still not know WHO you are. On the other hand, your cellphone is constantly polling a huge network of cell towers which allows your carrier to track where you are (otherwise cellphone calling wouldn't work). And guess what? Your cellphone number is exposed, and -- since few people share phones -- that identifies YOU! Ever look at detailed cellphone bill? They know who you called, who called you, when and for how long. Same for texting, picture messages, etc. Yet the same people who obsess over Google gathering coarse-grained marketing data aren't dumping their cellphones and going back to writing letters! :-)
    Google does this FAR more efficiently than any other single company on earth. You know this, so why are you trying to convince people that what they do isn't "worse" than others... it's all bad, and you don't have to care, that's fine, go ahead, but for those who DO care, it's bad. Is it bad if you don't care? Only you can decide.

As for the NSA? Totally different, and not acceptable. From what I understand they did not only store metadata, but actual full voice and data conversations. That is a huge invasion of privacy, even if they never look at your data!
    Google is just as bad, whether they're storing it or not.

The topic "Why defend BB10" has devolved to "Why defend Google".

A private for-profit company that can move their entire operation offshore and is beholden to the lowest-common-denominator as to where they store their data, it's fine, but for the government, it's bad. I don't see why it's WORSE for the government to do what you willfully allow a for-profit company that doesn't even have any laws to govern how it does uses the data it gathers.

For this topic to devolve into yet another "Google is benign, so why not just embrace Android" debate means the discussion has run its course.
    01-05-16 03:18 PM
    I do understand disappointment is loosing something you like. There have been so many products over the years I've seen go away.

I'm sure BlackBerry will continue offering support for the BB10 for many years even though new feature development may cease (not sure). Here is the place where everyone can fulfill a need and scream PLAYBOOK!

The only thing that frustrates me on this forum is when people just chime in and say Android is junk simply because it's not what they prefer. The fact is Android may not fit some use cases or be preferable to some, but it's not junk or trash. Just like BB10, Windows Phone, or iOS are not junk or trash. Each may or may not meet a preference or use case.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    Or say that iOS can't do something that I routinely do. Android and iOS devices are mobile computers with a lot of software available. Trying to use them like a flip phone, oops Blackberry, is bound to be frustrating.
    01-05-16 04:11 PM
    Or say that iOS can't do something that I routinely do. Android and iOS devices are mobile computers with a lot of software available. Trying to use them like a flip phone, oops Blackberry, is bound to be frustrating.
    Yes, because if anyone uses their device with different usage priorities in mind than yours, then they must be using a "flip phone" (although the return of the Jedi (Slider) might mean that revenge of the Sith (Flip Phone) is coming back with a vengeance!

Lolz

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 01-05-16 at 04:56 PM.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-05-16 04:24 PM
    It only took me 5 months of heavy use to realize that BB10 is absolutely useless as a pocket computer device. Which is what smartphones are. Yes you can make phone calls and communicate. But a flip phone can do that too which I used for 15 years before switching to a Z30 last year. BB10 has an outdated native map app. Other native apps are not getting updated or have been abandoned by their developers. The Docs to Go app is a joke compared to what is offered for free equivalent in the Google Play Store. Speaking of Android apps on BB10, they're all based on a run time that is 3 versions old.

Oh, and believe it or not, I'm actually allowed to have friends and keep track of them on a working FaceBook app, send & receive SMS/MMS messages using a secured-from-stagefright texting app called Textra on Android.

Oh yeah, the old Privacy argument on BB10. The final refuge of the Luddites (ironic for a pocket computer user) in Crackberry. Well if you can install, the faux Cobalt G-Play Services then you should be smart enough to configure your Google account to turn off ad tracking, spoof up a fake Google account, use Firefox to sidestep tracking, and setup Bing or Duck-Duck-Go as your default search. Heck at least I'm smart enough to bypass the 5.1.1 Priv and go directly to a marshmallow Nexus and turn off most granular permissions and still have apps working.

BB10 is useless. My android device can actually fulfill the promise of being a working pocket computer where I can draw up any info I want with a plethora of apps to choose from, travel almost anywhere in the world and have a map show me accurate directions, communicate with anyone in any manner without problems or workarounds, get work done with superior updated apps, and capture pics & video with a superior camera.

Ads? Please. Adguard takes care of all that for $17 every 2 years. Big freakin' deal. I don't have to pay for the premium version of apps cause the ads are filtered out. And the app has a lot of hidden benefits too: it bypasses subscription requirements for some online newspapers that I normally read. Thereby paying for itself.
    01-05-16 04:30 PM
    It only took me 5 months of heavy use to realize that BB10 is absolutely useless as a pocket computer device. Which is what smartphones are. Yes you can make phone calls and communicate. But a flip phone can do that too which I used for 15 years before switching to a Z30 last year. BB10 has an outdated native map app. Other native apps are not getting updated or have been abandoned by their developers. The Docs to Go app is a joke compared to what is offered for free equivalent in the Google Play Store. Speaking of Android apps on BB10, they're all based on a run time that is 3 versions old.

Oh, and believe it or not, I'm actually allowed to have friends and keep track of them on a working FaceBook app, send & receive SMS/MMS messages using a secured-from-stagefright texting app called Textra on Android.

Oh yeah, the old Privacy argument on BB10. The final refuge of the Luddites (ironic for a pocket computer user) in Crackberry. Well if you can install, the faux Cobalt G-Play Services then you should be smart enough to configure your Google account to turn off ad tracking, spoof up a fake Google account, use Firefox to sidestep tracking, and setup Bing or Duck-Duck-Go as your default search. Heck at least I'm smart enough to bypass the 5.1.1 Priv and go directly to a marshmallow Nexus and turn off most granular permissions and still have apps working.

BB10 is useless. My android device can actually fulfill the promise of being a working pocket computer where I can draw up any info I want with a plethora of apps to choose from, travel almost anywhere in the world and have a map show me accurate directions, communicate with anyone in any manner without problems or workarounds, get work done with superior updated apps, and capture pics & video with a superior camera.

Ads? Please. Adguard takes care of all that for $17 every 2 years. Big freakin' deal. I don't have to pay for the premium version of apps cause the ads are filtered out. And the app has a lot of hidden benefits too: it bypasses subscription requirements for some online newspapers that I normally read. Thereby paying for itself.
    Exactly!
    Because opinion, perception, preference, need, fantasy and fact are all the same thing lol

01-05-16 04:59 PM
    Yes, because if anyone uses their device with different usage priorities in mind than yours, then they must be using a "flip phone" (although the return of the Jedi (Slider) might mean that revenge of the Sith (Flip Phone) is coming back with a vengeance!

Lolz

I need to check is here a lot to see all of the things I can't do with a iPhone. In reality Apple, Google and Microsoft are fighting each other to control the computing space, from desk to phone. BB10 isn't part of that anymore from what I see.
    01-05-16 05:27 PM

I realize you are trying to inflame the conversation here and I really shouldn't take the bait but I can't disagree with what some of your thoughts more....

First BlackBerry is far from its own issues but for a near abandoned OS to be superior(in many ways) than ones supported and up to date by giant billion dollar companies says a lot.

I get approximately 100-150 emails a day and then many text or other messages amongst probably about 40 calls a day that I have to respond to in real time and almost always have some level of file transfers or attachments etc.

I couldn't do this anywhere nearly as efficiently as I do on my Z30. I have tried several other options and if the tasks weren't more cumbersome then they were not doable at all.

I realize I have an old device by a company that isn't even in the conversation anymore but to say it's not relevant for real work purposes or can't compete isn't accurate.

Maybe if al you want to do is social media and the likes then I would say it's no contest but for many it is still vastly superior and it is for that reason that they defend bb10 and want it to continue.

Posted via CB10
    Skyforever and skstrials like this.
    01-05-16 06:17 PM
    I need to check is here a lot to see all of the things I can't do with a iPhone. In reality Apple, Google and Microsoft are fighting each other to control the computing space, from desk to phone. BB10 isn't part of that anymore from what I see.

Yeah, that fighting for space that you mention there reminds me of the Romulans and the Federation.

.... the final frontier!

You're imagining BB10 as ever being a part of something that it never was.
    But Oki doki, dude.

01-05-16 06:56 PM
    I don't get people attacking BB10...You don't like it, get something else and move on...
    Some attack BB10, others Android. Both have advantages over the other in certain areas. Then there are fans of other OS's attacking both.

Seems like a lot of unnecessary drama to me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    yohannrjm likes this.
    01-05-16 07:03 PM
    I don't defend BlackBerry 10 any more than I defend the car that I drive or the food that I eat. I drive what I want to drive, I eat what I want to eat and I use what I want to use for a Smartphone. Unless I am a MAJOR stockholder in a company or the owner/president, I survey the landscape of everything out there and decide for myself what I want to use/drive/eat/own as a consumer. Period. If someone else tells me that I should not use this or that and should use what they tell me I should be using, I smile and say, "Thanks for your OPINION, enjoy the rest of your day." Done.

For me, a BlackBerry 10 is the perfect "personal" phone for me. I am not a power app guy. I need LinkedIn, Twitter and a few other simple common apps that BlackBerry 10 has. I use BLEND to meld it into my iPad 2 for efficiency and so that I have access to my Banking App (available on Apple). Great combination.

For business, my 9900 Bold is the perfect "business" phone. Combined with my Playbook (Bridged) it is a killer combo for getting business done. If something is NOT broken I do NOT fix it. I run two companies with my BlackBerry, and they are both under control. End of story.

I have an older iPhone, and I have a KitKat Droid. Mostly to play with. Sure, they have lots of widgets and apps and can count the number of bowel movements you make every 3rd Saturday when the wind is out of the East. That does not matter to me. But if it DID, I'd be on them faster than you could say "Where'd He Go?", because I use what I want to use. And right now, it's BB10 for my Personal Phone. I'm not defending it, I'm just stating a FACT.
    brookie229 and jope28 like this.
    01-05-16 07:15 PM

I totally disagree with the statement that BB10 is useless as a pocket computer. I've been using my Z10 almost exclusively rather than my desktop or laptop, for over 3 years. I only hope that I'll find nearly that same level of usefulness when I move to the Priv...

What I do agree with is that BB10 has unfortunately run its course. I haven't used Android enough to really judge it's depth yet. I do have high hopes that BlackBerry will continue to develop some amazing productivity "apps" to get closer to BB10's functionality....

Hey... if by some miracle BlackBerry turns things around and revives BB10 and sells enough to warrant developer app ports... I'll be first in line to switch back to BB10!

Posted via CB10
    Skyforever likes this.
    01-05-16 07:55 PM
    Well!, If people are ready to barter their own 'info' for functionality.. then its their own business! Speaking for myself, I use Nokia feature phone for bank and credit card transactions( without internet) it works without any worry for security.However, I use Q10 for my official e-mails(comprising of a few mail id's) its my daily driver.I use IPAD too.Both my Q10 and IPAD are connected to a rather high speed internet(3G &4G). I also use heavily my laptop.Using these combo I am able go about my daily work without any hassles.If BB10 develops further and offers full featured app ecosystem and continued security, I will most definitely use it as a sole device outside of my laptop. BB10 OS is a beaut!.Here, In India police of my state still rely on BBRY device( I think OS7).For sure there is a huge demand from govt agencies,banks and large private organisations for secure and seamless communication. BBRY simply has failed to capitalize on it though BES12 platform is already there. If BBRY pushes its own BB10 devices along with it ..reaching an annual sales figure of 10 million pcs will be like cake walk
    Last edited by Sridhara Shankara; 01-08-16 at 08:52 AM. Reason: small corrections
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-06-16 07:49 AM
    The Priv gets the job done, but many people do t want the privacy issues related to Google. It is a shame BlackBerry dropped the ball with BB10. There isn't another IS that works as well for messaging. The lack of ability to easily save any file and manage files is another issue with other options. BB10 simply works better in that regard.

I hate Android, and Apple is worse with regard to messaging. It simply doesn't work well for my needs, BB10 does. I am searching for something to replace it eventually, but at the moment, nothing compares.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry didn't drop the ball. It's that most devs and users just weren't interested.
    01-06-16 08:12 AM
    BlackBerry didn't drop the ball. It's that most devs and users just weren't interested.
    They weren't interested because BB dropped then ball when the iPhone came out.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    01-06-16 08:15 AM
    They weren't interested because BB dropped then ball when the iPhone came out.
    Sure. Let's go back half a decade. But you're right.
    01-06-16 08:23 AM
    All I can say to this is that I felt the same about android apps and their sluggish performance on my Q10. My Passport SE however, eliminates 90% of the headaches running Android apps and most of them function very well. It's clunky getting them loaded, but once they are, they work well. SO MUCH FASTER than my Q10. Of course, since OP is on Verizon, this isn't really an option. I moved my one line from my six line share on Verizon to ATT just for the Passport SE. And it's worth it!
    01-06-16 10:18 AM
    Sure. Let's go back half a decade. But you're right.
    The decline started more than half a decade ago. Most developers and users weren't interested because, as GadgetTravel said, Blackberry dropped the ball when the iPhone was released.
    01-06-16 10:54 AM
    Yes they did. They themselves stopped developing for it. They got rid of many of their developers. They also did a very poor job of offering enticements and generating support from developers. Had they themselves developed apps for the platform, they would have generated more interest in the OS, and developers would have had more reasons to produce apps for the platform.

They marketed poorly, had poor app support initially thereby dampening the initial response to the product. Initially it looked like a good product that would do well, then those who switched quickly fled due to a lack of support from developers, and poor apps from Blackberry themselves, and others decided to stay away.

Those of us who did adopt the new OS, soon realized many things that worked so well with previous Blackberry devices, didn't work at all with BB10. I could not sync with my Mac initially. Once I could sync, it was limited to music and other media, something that wasn't necessary since it is much easier to simply drag and drop those files as we did with previous Blackberry devices. What faithful Blackberry users needed, was the ability to sync to calendars, and contact apps. Once you could sync, many were plagued with duplicate contacts due to the new "improved" way Blackberry implemented their contacts. My calendar sync still doesn't work as well as it did on previous Blackberry devices. It now deletes older entries in my calendar, previously there was an option to keep them, something I need for business. I archive up my calendar on the Mac before every sync, but this is a very inconvenient way to work once the year is over and I gave to piece together my year for tax purposes.

So yeah, as much as I like my Z10 and BB10, Blackberry dropped the ball in many ways. It is sad, but true. I hope they are able to rectify things in the future once they regain a more stable financial footing. I still love BB10, and my Z10 works very well. I have hesitated to buy a new BB10 device, but then again, I still love my Z10. We will see what the future holds.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-06-16 11:23 AM

BB10 is useless.
    >yawn<

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-06-16 11:25 AM
    Just for info, i tried to complaint for the embarassing facebook App via twitter at blackberry help, and this was the answer they gave me:

"thank you for contacting us. Regarding your query about updating your Facebook app kindly go to BlackBerry World storefront then go to My World and please check if Facebook has an available update. From there you should be able to update the Facebook app. ^mee"

No comment....

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 12:02 PM
    I've been a BlackBerry power user since their first pagers. Had many devices over the years. Bought a Z10 as soon as it was released. Still using it very heavily.

However, as much as I agree that BB10 is the best designed OS out there, it simply doesn't cut it any more, and the market didn't accept it. Doesn't matter if that was lack of marketing, app gap, etc. It's just reality.

Fact is, at least 60% of the apps I use are Android apps. (I have and use well over 100 apps). While most of the apps I needed do run on BB10 (went from side loading, to Snap, to Cobalt's Google store). But none of them run well. They are sluggish. When switching from one to another the wrong app screen sometimes shows up for a few seconds. I OFTEN get all not responding message (hitting wait usually works). Some crash occasionally.

Even within BB10, I've experienced lots of issues with the contacts app, some with the hub. I've experienced screen freezes, inability to answer a call, extra vibrations after answering call, ... I could go on and on. And yet, if BB10 had made it commercially I'd likely stay with it -- because there would be updates that fix the problems; because more app developers would port to BlackBerry. But that didn't happen. Sometimes the best design just doesn't make it (remember BetaMax video format?)

I will not move to an iOS device because I hate closed ecosystems with the manufacturer deciding how I should use their device.

To move to a Z30 or Passport just delays the inevitable, and won't solve my app performance troubles.

I've played with the Priv at AT&T. I'm not a huge fan of Android, but it gets the job done and it's very configurable. A very healthy app store means I can find a good app for just about any functionality I want. The BlackBerry enhancements are good, and I expect will get better with time. The Priv feels good, works smoothly. I won't lack for much, even though I will miss mostly the tight integration that was in BB10.

I'm a Verizon customer, so I'm waiting for the Priv. Already bought my Priv holster! I know there will be some issues with the Priv simply because it's something new for BlackBerry. I'm going with it because I like the physical phone, may like going back to a pkb for heavy typing, like the BlackBerry enhancements... and most importantly because I support BlackBerry as a company. I'm willing to put up with a few glitches that I might not have on a Samsung device.

Posted via CB10
    A very reasonable perspective. Personally, I don't use Android apps and am happy to stay with BB10 a while longer. Hopefully a couple of years so long as the basics still work.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 12:47 PM
    Do what you want, but I don't want a company snooping on my phone, for legitimate reasons. I am fully aware there are privacy issues with other things as well, but my phone has more sensitive information, and some people's phone numbers who wish to remain private.

You are free to do whatever you want though. I do use android as well, but I have a rooted tablet and I use it for only a very specific purpose, and I don't have sensitive information on it. The file managers available still do not match what you can do on BB10 with the inured file manager. Android is a clunky cobbled together OS. I have the tablet, and my wife has an S4. Overall, the s4 is nice, but it is easier to do basically everything on my Z10.

I choose to keep as much privacy as possible. With Android, you pay to be their product.

Posted via CB10
    LOL you think getting a BB10 is granting you as much privacy as possible.

Go read up on Snowden. If you truly value it, just the fact that you have a mobile phone goes a long long way.
    01-06-16 01:05 PM
138 ... 23456