I think the poster means businesses are obliged to follow EU data protection rules, not individuals.
    I meant that if the poster is correct the vast majority of businesses in the UK appear to be breaking the law by not using Blackberries.
    01-04-16 09:26 AM
    get a pp of course the apps will be sluggish on a z10 things like 10 years old already
    01-04-16 09:52 AM
    Blackberry 10 is not the best OS and I will admit that but it is the best security and people do need than IOS Android and Windows don't exactly have really any good security other than the Blackberry Priv on Android but it still ahs it's problems

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 09:54 AM
    I meant that if the poster is correct the vast majority of businesses in the UK appear to be breaking the law by not using Blackberries.
    Of course; I got that -- but you wrote "BB10 has less than 1% of the U.K. market," and I'm assuming the "the UK market" is mostly consumers, who aren't obliged to follow those data protection rules.
    01-04-16 10:13 AM
    What devices can you use BBM Video on? And BBM was only developed for other platforms because it was either that, or death.
    True, perhaps, but it was only recently that Apple claims to have fixed the bug where SMS messages were hijacked but iMessage if the sender was using an iOS device with iMessage configured, and the recipient had an iOS device configured with iMessage.

When I first got my iPad I lost many SMS messages from a friend who was going through experimental treatment of an otherwise fatal, in the short term, cancer. Her iPhone silently redirected her texts to me to my iPad over iMessage. She thought I was ignoring her at a significant time in her life, I began to wonder if she was well enough to even text. That kind of closed Apple first mentality permeates the Apple ecosystem. I'm not likely to forget or forgive that kind of UX blunder.

You are right that BBM was a closed product for a long time, but it never silently redirected traffic away from the intended recipient.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-04-16 10:24 AM
    There are many good file managers on Android. Maybe not quite like BB10, but quite capable.

As for privacy issues, get used to it or become a hermit. If you think that only Google collects information you're in denial. Do they try to collect more? Maybe. But the reality of everyone wanting great services and free apps means everything has to be paid for through advertising. I haven't seen too many people offering to pay $100 a year for email services, or $35 for an app... on the contrary, people actually complain when they have to pay 0.99 for an app!

You'd be amazed how much info is collected.. if you use a credit or debit card, store loyalty card, accept cookies on Web sites, use a non-private search engine (as most are not), subscribe to a magazine, use a navigation system, own a home, apply for a car loan, register your car license, etc etc. Info is being collected.

Google doesn't want to know about YOU. That doesn't give them anything.. they want to know how to market things you are more likely to be interested in. Or to give you a more relevant search experience. That allows them to charge advertisers a premium price because they are getting a larger percentage of interested consumers. It's the price of getting all this stuff for free!

I for one am willing to put up with it; the alternative is to step back about 50 years.

Posted via CB10
    I am not happy with Google because advertising is their main source of income, whereas a company like MS has other sources of income.

I am not getting an Android phone because I cannot stand Google services and their policies. I know protecting my privacy is tough these days, but avoiding Google is a good start. I use Duckduckgo instead.

By the way, the issue of privacy is not just about advertisments, it is also about protecting your privacy from the government when you have done nothing wrong. There have been cases where people who have Googled certain terms have been swatted with no other reason. Googling how to murder or rape is not a crime; a crime novel writer had the police at his house because of these search terms.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler, lift and bimmin like this.
    01-04-16 10:26 AM
    Blackberry 10 is not the best OS and I will admit that but it is the best security and people do need than IOS Android and Windows don't exactly have really any good security other than the Blackberry Priv on Android but it still ahs it's problems

Posted via CB10
    I'm on the other side of this I think bb10 is the best "OS" it just doesn't have all the app support which is what hurts it bb10 is easier to navigate and get around on compared to the others. Apps is its achilles heel.

Posted via CB10
    hbelkin likes this.
    01-04-16 10:40 AM
    Then why did you ever use a Blackberry? Its systems aren't any more open than Apple's.
    Because BlackBerry at least adheres to standards... like micro usb for charging, ability to add storage with a memory card, etc. And BlackBerry innovates.

Apple like to dictate, mostly for their bottom line profits, not for the user's benefit. Apple has never innovated... they take someone else's innovation, copy it, make it beautiful, and sell it to the world. I respect innovation more than beauty. :-)

Posted via CB10
    jope28 and AYC2112 like this.
    01-04-16 11:02 AM
    For me, I use the phone for mails and communication 90% of the time. I won't defend bb10, since I see no need for that. It is what it is, a good working OS with poor app eco system, but great in everything else I need it to do.

Posted with a BlackBerry
    jope28, Al moon and David Tyler like this.
    01-04-16 12:19 PM
    I don't get people attacking BB10...You don't like it, get something else and move on... byyyye!

I know exactly what it can and cannot do, what other competing products offer, and if it meets my current needs.

I continually shake my head at people who hang around a forum dedicated to a certain product/manufacturer long after they're quit using them and simply post all kinds of dribble about how crappy the product is that they no longer use. It's like listening to a never-ending breakup story from a friend who insists on warning you that the same thing is going to happen to you because it happened to them:

... "we get it, she was trash, stop telling me how to run my life and let the rest of us get on with our perfectly healthy relationships."

None of the other dedicated forums I'm a member of (cars, pianos, obscure electronic gadgets) have this type of recurring negative lurking poster that positively infests this forum. They lose interest or get rid of whatever tied them to that forum and are gone. Not so here, apparently.

And let the rest of us enjoy what we have chosen and continue to use.
    skstrials, Jahcure, mk2234 and 3 others like this.
    01-04-16 01:15 PM
    I don't get people attacking BB10...You don't like it, get something else and move on... byyyye!

I know exactly what it can and cannot do, what other competing products offer, and if it meets my current needs.

I continually shake my head at people who hang around a forum dedicated to a certain product/manufacturer long after they're quit using them and simply post all kinds of dribble about how crappy the product is that they no longer use. It's like listening to a never-ending breakup story from a friend who insists on warning you that the same thing is going to happen to you because it happened to them:

... "we get it, she was trash, stop telling me how to run my life and let the rest of us get on with our perfectly healthy relationships."

None of the other dedicated forums I'm a member of (cars, pianos, obscure electronic gadgets) have this type of recurring negative lurking poster that positively infests this forum. They lose interest or get rid of whatever tied them to that forum and are gone. Not so here, apparently.

And let the rest of us enjoy what we have chosen and continue to use.
    Couldnt have said it better. It is like they have nothing better to do.

Pursue happiness!

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 and David Tyler like this.
    01-04-16 01:32 PM
    I will add that what bb10 was meant to do it does it better than other OS's.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Al moon; 01-04-16 at 02:13 PM.
    01-04-16 01:38 PM
    Sorry you missed the intent of my original post. I've been a die hard BlackBerry user and defender for many, many years. I absolutely love bb10 and still use only my Z10, never two devices.

But I'm a realist and I understand business. I have no problem with someone saying they are satisfied with the way bb10 is now, and are willing to stay on the platform until the hardware is so outdated that they must switch.

I have trouble with these same people bashing anyone who chooses to move to the Priv now, and continues to push BlackBerry to keep throwing money at bb10 even when few developers still support it.

Many of the Android apps I use today started out as BB10 apps, but were abandoned and quickly fell behind in capability.

Posted via CB10
    Israel Adolfo likes this.
    01-04-16 02:12 PM
    get a pp of course the apps will be sluggish on a z10 things like 10 years old already
    Yes that might buy me a few years, but then I'll likely have to move on in any case. And it's very unlikely that BlackBerry will upgrade to newer versions of Android runtime, so many newer apps will start failing...

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 02:15 PM
    Yes that might buy me a few years, but then I'll likely have to move on in any case. And it's very unlikely that BlackBerry will upgrade to newer versions of Android runtime, so many newer apps will start failing...

Posted via CB10
    get a zenfone2 64gb 4gb ram root it and put a custom MM rom on it then you'll have security as well and everything you need for dirt cheap with a decent phone
    01-04-16 02:23 PM
    You're correct about who collects information and why; but you pose a false dilemma: The alternative to starring in your own little Truman Show for Google's profit is not "becoming a hermit" or "stepping back about 50 years." The alternative, to which you yourself allude, is to _pay_ for what you use. As any 4-year-old should know, nothing -- NOTHING -- is "free." Even now, a growing minority of people are getting sick of being advertised to at every turn and growing wary of the information collected and stored about their personal lives, their every coming and going. Alternatives to sharing so much information are are out there; and, yes, sometimes those alternatives mean simply not sharing pictures of every meal or transient voltage that crosses the gap between your ears. Sometimes, the alternatives mean paying for services like email; in any case, those choices are value judgements, and choosing increased privacy hardly means becoming a hermit.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Two quick points: I buy lots of apps! I've spent hundreds on Z10 apps. I've purchased MANY apps that I evaluate and discard. First, to see if I'd find them really useful, and second, to show support to BB10 developers. If I find an app is bothering me with ads, I find an alternative and buy it.

Second point: I once was a vp in a very large data mining company (consumer packaged goods). It's incredible the information that's available and that can be deduced using analytical tools. But no reputable company (yes there are charlatans) is at all interested in your personal contacts, or any personal data. They look for trends and patterns. I would venture an educated guess that Google has never sold or given away any contact lists you've uploaded on Gmail. Nor are they interested in your Photos -- they might like to know the locations of the photos, but not to determine any private info, only to be able to guess at better advertising targeting.

You see, in analytics what's important is patterns and trends primarily. Tying in any personal data ruins statistical analysis. It would be like conducting a survey that instead of being random is restricted to a specific group. Makes the analysis insignificant.

My point was that there are a huge number of sources of information. Google gets more press about data gathering, but they are far from being so unique. Obviously the larger the company the more data they can gather. Ever buy on Amazon, or eBay, or use a credit card? Same deal. I don't particularly like it, but it's a part of life, like street cameras with facial recognition... the world continues to change....

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 02:39 PM
    Sorry you missed the intent of my original post. I've been a die hard BlackBerry user and defender for many, many years. I absolutely love bb10 and still use only my Z10, never two devices.

But I'm a realist and I understand business. I have no problem with someone saying they are satisfied with the way bb10 is now, and are willing to stay on the platform until the hardware is so outdated that they must switch.

I have trouble with these same people bashing anyone who chooses to move to the Priv now, and continues to push BlackBerry to keep throwing money at bb10 even when few developers still support it.

Many of the Android apps I use today started out as BB10 apps, but were abandoned and quickly fell behind in capability.

Posted via CB10
    K, I'm confused now.

- You're OK with people staying with BB10.
    - You're not OK with people wanting further BB10 apps and support.
    - You're not OK with people bashing the Priv... does this also include me, who has 2 BB10 devices and zero interest in the Priv? I have reasons why I don't want the Priv, and I want continued BB10 support. Won't be buying a BB android phone, good luck to BB in that endeavour.

Further confused why we should abandon something we like because the company has started a new direction with a different product... one that we don't particularly want or need.
    01-04-16 02:57 PM
    What is the "best OS" is a matter of relativity. Just like with most things....
    01-04-16 03:16 PM
    Further confused why we should abandon something we like because the company has started a new direction with a different product... one that we don't particularly want or need.
    You don't need to abandon BB10, but I sure hope that BlackBerry has abandoned it. BlackBerry has lost enough money on BB10 already. I for one still hope that BlackBerry can someone how manage to remain in the hardware business. I like the form factors they offer and the more choices we have as consumers the better things will be for us. They have to start making wise decisions if the hardware business has any chance of surviving. I think most people can agree that investing more money in BB10 at this point wouldn't be wise.
    Israel Adolfo likes this.
    01-04-16 03:25 PM
    Does Apple support the full NFC standard? Does Apple support Miracast? WiFi Direct? SD cards? USB OTG? Standard connectors? There are many things that BlackBerry 10 devices support that are standards that Apple doesn't support. BlackBerry is far more open than Apple.
    To be fair, you're really talking about standards compliance and interoperability. Apple chooses to forego portions of the former and all of the latter because it allows them to program for a specific subset of devices/hardware, that in-itself works much better when it does not have to interoperate with everything based on loosely defined standards. For an example of this, note how much better AirPlay is than any other Miracast based solution out there.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-04-16 03:36 PM
    To be fair, you're really talking about standards compliance and interoperability. Apple chooses to forego portions of the former and all of the latter because it allows them to program for a specific subset of devices/hardware, that in-itself works much better when it does not have to interoperate with everything based on loosely defined standards. For an example of this, note how much better AirPlay is than any other Miracast based solution out there.
    Please prove that AirPlay works better than Miracast. Apple is just trying to lock you into their platform. I can get much more interoperability not using an Apple device than I can a BlackBerry. I can transfer files from a BlackBerry to an Android using NFC, can't do that with iOS. There are so many limitations, that I cannot stand Apple products. I own and use them as it is part of my job, but every time I use them I am reminded how much better my life is with BlackBerry phones.
    skstrials and AYC2112 like this.
    01-04-16 03:50 PM
    I think the poster means businesses are obliged to follow EU data protection rules, not individuals.
    I am a data holder as I work in health.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 05:21 PM
    Please prove that AirPlay works better than Miracast. Apple is just trying to lock you into their platform. I can get much more interoperability not using an Apple device than I can a BlackBerry. I can transfer files from a BlackBerry to an Android using NFC, can't do that with iOS. There are so many limitations, that I cannot stand Apple products. I own and use them as it is part of my job, but every time I use them I am reminded how much better my life is with BlackBerry phones.
    Considering that I've owned and used Miracast devices, and still own one while I also own the Apple TV and an iPhone/iPad, I can attest that the AirPlay difference to Miracast is like two technologies from different eras. AirPlay just works, no fuss, no issues. No pixelation, no lag, no excess buffering, all very common issues I've encountered regularly with Miracast devices. Mind you, AirPlay is not perfect, and it still glitches out from time to time, but compared to Miracast, it is like night and day.

With that said, I am well aware that part of the restriction is due to Apple increasing hooks that keep you locked into their system. I do agree with the interoperability issues across platforms, but that's of lesser concern being that there are multitude of different ways to share something across different platforms. It's not like an NFC triggered Bluetooth connection is the only way to share content. In fact, it is an extremely rare way of sharing content because it is both slow and relies on proximity.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-04-16 05:48 PM
    In fact, it is an extremely rare way of sharing content because it is both slow and relies on proximity.
    Not rare for my wife and I who exchange pics regularly on our Passports. I use NFC in this way probably 2-3 times weekly. Also transfer pics to her friends Sammy quite often.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    01-04-16 05:52 PM
    I am correct, many businesses do use BlackBerry devices and other devices that are protected by BES services and other secure systems including many police forces in the UK. I work in health and a data holder, Unfortunately as an individual I do not have the facility of BES or similar system but EU laws still apply. Thankfully BlackBerry software like link and OS past and present, including BlackBerry Protect, facilitate security for the data that I hold.
    I hope this helps understanding for those of us who defend BlackBerry as our working lives would be much more difficult without them.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 06:03 PM
138 1234 ...