Hi,
    I am considering returning to BlackBerry. If I do, it will be the Z10 on Verizon. I used BlackBerry for a long time in the past, but switched over to ios/zndroid for the past few years, mainly for ota sync (native) with exchange for work email, calendar, and contacts. So here are a couple of questions I have before I decide to take the plunge:

I have read and researched, but want to make absolute certain that the new BB will sync my exchange email, calendar, and contacts without any issues, or add ons? Like ios and android does, set-up email, type in info for server, and it syncs. No using any redirect, bes, etc...

In the email itself, is anyone getting the "message truncated due to size" message?

Those are the two most important things for me, and the two things that gave me issues in the past. Thank you in advance for answers.
    03-10-13 04:12 PM
    Hi,
    I am considering returning to BlackBerry. If I do, it will be the Z10 on Verizon. I used BlackBerry for a long time in the past, but switched over to ios/zndroid for the past few years, mainly for ota sync (native) with exchange for work email, calendar, and contacts. So here are a couple of questions I have before I decide to take the plunge:

I have read and researched, but want to make absolute certain that the new BB will sync my exchange email, calendar, and contacts without any issues, or add ons? Like ios and android does, set-up email, type in info for server, and it syncs. No using any redirect, bes, etc...

In the email itself, is anyone getting the "message truncated due to size" message?

Those are the two most important things for me, and the two things that gave me issues in the past. Thank you in advance for answers.
    From my own personal experience, what I'd suggest is waiting for a little bit.

There is no more truncated email due to size thing going on.

But right now the email experience isn't as dependable as on Android, at least. Can't comment on iOS.
    There are issues with sync, both for mail and calendar/contacts at time, sending can be a problem at times, working with email addresses isn't at 100%.

These should all be ironed out down the line but you need some patience, if email needs to be 100% on the ball for you then the Z10 isn't the phone for you, right at the moment.
    It will almost certainly be in a few weeks/months.
    03-10-13 04:22 PM

But right now the email experience isn't as dependable as on Android, at least. Can't comment on iOS.
    There are issues with sync, both for mail and calendar/contacts at time, sending can be a problem at times, working with email addresses isn't at 100%.

These should all be ironed out down the line but you need some patience, if email needs to be 100% on the ball for you then the Z10 isn't the phone for you, right at the moment.
    No idea what you mean by the email experience not being dependable. I've have no issues whatsoever using Exchange ActiveSync on my Z10, everything syncs beautifully, and any issues I used to have with IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV were fixed by the last update.
    03-10-13 04:33 PM

Blackberry 10 and the Z10 now natively support Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, which can synchronize your email, contacts, calendars and tasks on the Z10.

The only caveat I know of right now is that at the present time, the Z10 gives you the option to show anywhere from the last few days to the last 30 days of emails on the device. That has no impact on the messages still on the Exchange server, and you can always search for messages on the server and find/view them even if they are not visible by default on the handheld.

They may add older message viewing in the future as an option, but for resource consumption reasons most companies don't recommend that and they can block it with a server-side policy anyway, so it's oftentimes not as useful a feature as some people think.

The size limitation on messages was an issue with BIS, the old Blackberry service that Blackberry is moving away from now, and which isn't an option for the Z10 anyway. The Z10 routes all email directly over the internet just like Android and iOS devices do. There may be some size limitation on emails, though I haven't heard of what it might be, nor have I seen anyone complain about email size limits on the Z10.

Hope that helps.
    03-10-13 04:33 PM
    The only caveat I know of right now is that at the present time, the Z10 gives you the option to show anywhere from the last few days to the last 30 days of emails on the device. That has no impact on the messages still on the Exchange server, and you can always search for messages on the server and find/view them even if they are not visible by default on the handheld.
    This is indeed one catch that exists which slipped my mind, but one of the BlackBerry employees stated on Twitter that they will be fixing this in an upcoming update (my guess is 10.1).
    03-10-13 04:35 PM
    Thank you all for your input. I am glad to hear that both issues have been fixed. I am not too concerned about time to keep messages, I seldom have any messages in my inbox. As soon as I get an email I address it and file it. So I guess its just a waiting game now until Verizon releases the Z10. I am looking forward to it.
    03-10-13 04:37 PM
    Thank you all for your input. I am glad to hear that both issues have been fixed. I am not too concerned about time to keep messages, I seldom have any messages in my inbox. As soon as I get an email I address it and file it. So I guess its just a waiting game now until Verizon releases the Z10. I am looking forward to it.
    You've either misread or ignored my post, but there are plenty of other posts here about people having issues with sync for email and calendars and contacts.
    It's a brand new OS in the end.
    I hope you enjoy your Z10 if/when you get it, but if you have any issues with Email/Contacts/Calendars and it's mission critical for you, you can't say you weren't warned!
    03-10-13 05:10 PM
    I'm on office 365 and also outlook. Com. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 05:17 PM

I'm really not sure why I keep seeing these types of comments. I have 7 diff email accounts. More calender accounts. And over 1500 contacts. And I have had not issues what so ever with sync on any after the recent OS update. There were a few before that bugged me. But after. All smooth sailing. And no issues what so ever. And I work with emails all day long.

The only a critic I would have at this point is that I really miss the option for instant sync like that older software had. But I guess for th most part I can wait for 15 mins sync intervals lol. And that's just for total sync. As most my stuff is instant anyway.

JIMHO

Posted from my Z10
    TigerHawk33 and simbasimba like this.
    03-10-13 05:41 PM
    And added to my last post is that most my stuff is on Google so just create account on Z10 and done. But I do have many other types accounts as well. All with same outcome. Including outlook. Again not sure why i hear of problems with this.

Posted from my Z10
    03-10-13 05:47 PM
    I've got 4 Gmail accounts on mine and 3 work great but 1 gives me issues.
    I've had the calendar crash on me often.
    I've had trouble getting mails to send sometimes and need to head for a computer to deal with them.
    I've had trouble dealing with email addresses on received mails, ie copy pasting them to further mails.

I've had lots of issues with email on this device, so I just think people for whom email or even contact/calendar sync is a big deal might want to wait, rather than buy early and regret.

Lots of people have had no issues. Lots of people have had issues. OP asked about a seamless experience which can't be guaranteed yet, or there'd be no one with issues.

I'm sure this will all be fixed down the line, and I am still on 10.0.9 with EE in the UK not having made 10.0.10 available yet, so can only comment on what I'm using.

At the moment, apart from the message truncated thing, I'd still say the 9900 is best for heavy email. But that clearly is an issue for the OP, so he/she has to decide whether he/she is ready to make the commitment to a great device, the Z10, with great potential now, but with the understanding that there will be bugs in the initial period.
    03-10-13 05:53 PM
    In contact synchronization there is no problem everything works fine
    03-10-13 05:54 PM
    Depends on your computer's OS. I've an iMac running on 10.5.8 and I can't use BlackBerry Link for Mac. It supports 10.6 onwards. I wish someone from BlackBerry will tell me if there will be a software version to support versions below that.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 05:57 PM
    We have many Z10s running on Exchange Active sync and there are no problems. The Z10 is still often receiving messages before Outlook does. Contacts sync and lookup works great. Calendar is great too.
    The only minor complaints, initially, we're due to the 30 day email limit. As mentioned, searching for older mail is there.
    It's also been mention on BlackBerry that they are expanding the 30 days in future builds.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 05:57 PM
    I used to be on my work EAS and had no problems with email/calendar/contacts for the month I used it. I would use at least 4 different computers/devices to access my email and had no syncing issues. although, sometimes that meant I would be reminded about the same calendar event 4 different times. not sure what that's all about.

my personal email runs off of EAS on outlook.com and have not had any issues there either. so glad I switched to outlook.com because now I can setup rules for different email accounts that I have forwarded there and have them put in specific folders. the only problem is replying to an email from another email, bb10 does not let you change the reply from account unless you have that email specifically setup on the phone.

with that being said, every server is different (especially your work) so if you are having issues down the road, I strongly suggest you contact your IT dept because they will know exactly how their servers are setup.
    03-10-13 05:58 PM
    Most people who are not professionals in the field have a notorious habit of extrapolating a tiny sample size (ie one single user - themselves) to the entire world of tens of millions of other users.

Yes, there are lots of people that have no problems at all with email on Blackberry 10 devices. Some do. Whether that's a fault of the platform, or somewhere else, or the user, or a combination of the three is an open question.

There are some known bugs in recent releases of BB10, in particular email sending via SMTP servers using authenticated SMTP on port 587. But if you're going to be using EAS to connect to a Microsoft Exchange server, that's immaterial and won't affect you.

Also bear in mind that up until recently, Google supported 2 different methods of "sync" to their free email accounts. They've killed off one of those. (Exchange ActiveSync/EAS) Now you can only use IMAP. IMAP works differently than EAS and will have different issues and idiosyncracies.
    03-10-13 05:59 PM
    Depends on your computer's OS. I've an iMac running on 10.5.8 and I can't use BlackBerry Link for Mac. It supports 10.6 onwards. I wish someone from BlackBerry will tell me if there will be a software version to support versions below that.
    10.5.8 is no longer supported by Apple. As such, most vendors in their right mind will not support it officially because it opens them up to liability. For example, if a problem comes up that turns out to be an issue that needs to be solved on Apple's side (or requires assistance that only Apple can provide to solve it), they will not do so and will wash their hands of it. Vendors are not wise to put themselves into that kind of double-bind with their customers.

However sometimes a product may install and work anyway, if you don't mind the "unsupported" aspect of it. I assume you've tried to install it anyway, and it refused to install?
    03-10-13 06:01 PM
    I've got 4 Gmail accounts on mine and 3 work great but 1 gives me issues.
    I've had the calendar crash on me often.
    I've had trouble getting mails to send sometimes and need to head for a computer to deal with them.
    I've had trouble dealing with email addresses on received mails, ie copy pasting them to further mails.

I've had lots of issues with email on this device, so I just think people for whom email or even contact/calendar sync is a big deal might want to wait, rather than buy early and regret.

Lots of people have had no issues. Lots of people have had issues. OP asked about a seamless experience which can't be guaranteed yet, or there'd be no one with issues.

I'm sure this will all be fixed down the line, and I am still on 10.0.9 with EE in the UK not having made 10.0.10 available yet, so can only comment on what I'm using.

At the moment, apart from the message truncated thing, I'd still say the 9900 is best for heavy email. But that clearly is an issue for the OP, so he/she has to decide whether he/she is ready to make the commitment to a great device, the Z10, with great potential now, but with the understanding that there will be bugs in the initial period.
    K. Fair enough. But just for ur info. The nice surprise is that the update addressed all of those issues. So tell ur bloody service to get on the ball and give it to u already lol

What I will say is this. Before the update I did have many issues. Since fixed. Cept for one that I still can't figure out. Whr. I use the voice control to insert and save a new calender event. It won't succeed for some reason. Very likely a setting on my phone. Or a conflict with not knowing which of my calenders to save too. Who knows. Still working on it
    Posted from my Z10
    03-10-13 06:01 PM
    Yes, I downloaded BlackBerry link and a when I tried installing, it said it's not available for my iMac.

Thanks for telling me about this.

10.5.8 is no longer supported by Apple. As such, most vendors in their right mind will not support it officially because it opens them up to liability. For example, if a problem comes up that turns out to be an issue that needs to be solved on Apple's side (or requires assistance that only Apple can provide to solve it), they will not do so and will wash their hands of it. Vendors are not wise to put themselves into that kind of double-bind with their customers.

However sometimes a product may install and work anyway, if you don't mind the "unsupported" aspect of it. I assume you've tried to install it anyway, and it refused to install?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 06:07 PM
    K. Fair enough. But just for ur info. The nice surprise is that the update addressed all of those issues. So tell ur bloody service to get on the ball and give it to u already lol

What I will say is this. Before the update I did have many issues. Since fixed. Cept for one that I still can't figure out. Whr. I use the voice control to insert and save a new calender event. It won't succeed for some reason. Very likely a setting on my phone. Or a conflict with not knowing which of my calenders to save too. Who knows. Still working on it
    Posted from my Z10
    They're hopeless, ordered a Vodaphone Sim as my Z10 was bought unlocked, will hopefully be rocking the update tomorrow.
    03-10-13 06:12 PM
    Hi,

Can't answer your questions specifically. All I know is BB OS was first pioneered with communications in mind.

I can safely say your main concern is about emailing.

1. BB10 is in its infancy, do expect the incomplete-ness to be worked out with updates.

2. Since we are using a data plan i/o BIS there is basically no limit to our email text sizes.

3. Z10 or Q10 best suits your email, calendar, and contact needs.
    03-10-13 06:15 PM
    You've either misread or ignored my post, but there are plenty of other posts here about people having issues with sync for email and calendars and contacts.
    It's a brand new OS in the end.
    I hope you enjoy your Z10 if/when you get it, but if you have any issues with Email/Contacts/Calendars and it's mission critical for you, you can't say you weren't warned!
    I am not ignoring you, I am just reading all of the replies. Like stated earlier, there will be, and are varying experiences with this. In this thread alone there is one negative, and more than one positive. Just like anything else, there will be good and bad. I appreciate all input good and bad. That's what makes the world go round.
    03-10-13 06:24 PM
    I am not ignoring you, I am just reading all of the replies. Like stated earlier, there will be, and are varying experiences with this. In this thread alone there is one negative, and more than one positive. Just like anything else, there will be good and bad. I appreciate all input good and bad. That's what makes the world go round.
    I wouldn't say my impression of the Z10 is negative, if it comes across that way I'm putting it across wrong.
    I'm enjoying using this device and look forward to it getting better and better.
    But, as with any new OS, it's probably important people, including myself, realise there will be teething problems, with everything, including email/contact/calendar sync, so if it's important for your business/work/personal life, it's better you have the potential pitfalls in mind and make a decision with your eyes wide open.

Best of luck with your choice.
    03-10-13 06:28 PM
    Just be forewarned that this can happen.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=780346

Posted from my Z10
    03-10-13 06:55 PM
    Just be forewarned that this can happen.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=780346

Posted from my Z10
    I was able to recover from "crackberry" after i switched over to android/iphone for a bit, but once you get "involved" with a blackberry, nothing ever comes close. Once you go BlackBerry, you never go back????? Or something like that....
    03-10-13 07:47 PM
30 12